House of Madness

Muir stared and shook his head, amused. "Not that one. Thanksgiving. With turkey? Large gathering and meals? Ring a bell?"

Oh, absolutely!" the avian bounced on his heels. "The meal is the best: turkey, gravy, and the sweet potatoes...""

"Not sure. Maybe I'll watch a little TV," Alexander replied. He could go out, but it was getting colder out, and he couldn't afford a nice dinner at a restaurant.

Bobbing his head, Alexander flew into the living room and plopped on the sofa, molt drifting to the floor in his wake. He picked up the remote and, after pressing random buttons for a moment, turned the TV on. He sat back and sighed as he watched a SpongeBob Halloween special.

It was some time later when Vlad came in, singing happily to himself as he carried one of his coats over his shoulder.
"You are really late, Vlad. Where have you been?" Muir questioned curiously as he came to meet the other.
"I was at this lovely party and having a wonderful time entertaining everyone," Vlad explained. "However, when I went to leave, I became lost! It was not so terrible, though. The leaves are beautiful this time of year."
"Glad you had a good time. I was beginning to think I was going to have to go looking for you," Muir grinned. "Pendle should be ready to make dinner soon."
"Wonderful! I want to tell him about a new friend I made today," Vlad said happily as he walked toward his room.
Muir followed him curiously. "Weren't you wearing a tie when you left? And what new friend?"
Their voices faded as they disappear into Vlad's room, the door still open.

Hearing Vlad's voice, Alexander switched off the TV and jumped up from the couch. He ran down the hall, talons clicking on the wooden floor. "Vlad!"

Squawking excitedly, the avian ran to the magician and embraced him. "Oh, thank goodness you're okay! The others told me you have a tendency to get lost."

Vlad chuckled as he gently patted the birdman's back. "Of course I am fine! I just took the really long way home and met a delightful new friend. Thank you for your concern, but I am fine."

"My gig was fabulous!" Vlad proclaimed, throwing his hands into the air. Glittering confetti burst from his fingertips and showered down around Vlad and Alexander.

"Vlad, I hope you intend to clean that up," Pendle said severely from behind Alexander. He hadn't been there a second before.

Alexander shook the confetti from himself and started at Pendle's voice. He whirled around. "Oh...hi, Pendle, how goes it?"

"Forward," Pendle replied.

Vlad tossed a few bits off his sleeves then snapped his fingers. All the confetti poofed from existence as if they had always been. "And there we have it! Cleanness!"

"Yes," Pendle said calmly. "Most things are moving in a forward direction. Now, then, dinner shall be ready shortly. After dinner, Vlad may regale us with his tales of work."

Vlad smiled happily. "I met a friend!"

"So you have said, multiple times," Pendle said dryly as he turned to go back to the kitchen.

"Oh, goody! What's on the menu for tonight? I hope it's more Italian food, love the stuff!" Alexander chirped, flapping his arms happily, once again molting.

Pendle caught one of the feathers and flicked it back at Alexander. "We will all be eating your feathers if you are not more sanitary. Tonight we shall be having beef and carrot stew topped with mashed potatoes."

Alexander ducked his head at Pendle's first remark, but scrunched up his face. "That sounds...disgusting."

Back