House of Madness

The next morning, the house bustled into life once more. Tinker was up first and getting her breakfast with Muir not far behind. Vlad was last to rise, dressed in green, purple, and maroon layers today. The other two scarfed breakfast and disappeared out the door to work while Vlad calmly made himself an omelet, humming merrily the whole time.

Alexander woke at a little after ten. After taking a quick shower, he entered the kitchen and rummage through the pantry, eventually finding a box of instant pumpkin spice oatmeal and pulling out three packets. Humming a gentle tune, the birdman poured their contents into a bowl and added water. Alexander put the bowl in the microwave and turned it on. As the oatmeal cooked, he fetched some yogurt and iced water. The microwave beeped, and Alexander retrieved his oatmeal and stirred it, the sweet smell wafting throughout the room. He placed his breakfast on the large table and sat, starting to eat, still humming in his melodic tone.

Vlad sat at the table with his breakfast, and his attention was drawn to Alexander's deep bowl of oatmeal. That was a lot of oatmeal! One packet was usually enough for him, though sometimes he'd seen Pendle eat two, but three?? He said nothing, though, content to eat his own food and leave Alexander to his. He started humming a cheerful little song between bites.

Alexander swallowed a spoonful of his food and glanced up at Vlad, chuckling. "How are you, Vlad?"

Vlad gave him a vague smile. "It was a graveyard smash and caught on in a flash!" he said with a wave of his fork.

"I've heard of Transylvania, never want to actually go, though," Alexander said after another spoonful.

Vlad smiled, tipping his head slightly. "I moved here from Transylvania when I was young. The girls would come from their humble abodes to get a jolt from my electrodes. It was is better than the tower to the east where the vampires feast!"

"I kinda don't blame you. Having women all over you just to get some shocks sounds creepy. Oh, and nice rhyming," his feathers ruffled at the thought.

Vlad waved a hand dismissively. "Oh, it was all just zombies having fun! And when we had a party, the fun had only just begun! We would have the jolly wolf man, Lord Dracula, and his son! Oh, the scene would be rocking with all everyone digging the sound of Igor on his chains backed by the baying hounds. And of course, the coffin bangers would always arrive as an aptly named group, the Crypt Kicker Five."

"So, an all-out monster bash," Alexander deduced, swallowing more oatmeal. "Did you guys listen to the classics, like Monster Mash and Ghostbusters?"

"Oh, no," Vlad chuckled. "Whenever my father would rise from his coffin and his voice would ring, because he was always troubled by one little thing. He would demand and shake his fist, 'Whatever happened to my Transylvanian twist??' But then he became cool for he joined the band, and our mashes were always the hit of the land!"

"So, your father was a singer," the avian's eyes shined with keen interest. It was always fascinating learning about people's worlds and hearing their backstories. Plus, he was loving Vlad's poeticism.

"Indeed, and for you, this mash is meant too!" Vlad invited with a smile. "If every you get to my door, tell them Vlad sent you."

"Don't you mean Boris?" Pendle remarked as he walked in, avoiding the bright light coming in from the kitchen window.

"Awww, thanks, Vlad!" Alexander beamed. Hearing Pendle's voice, he turned and smiled. "Morning, Pendle."

Vlad chuckled as he gathered his dishes and rose, swaying in time as he chanted, "Then you can Monster Mash! And do my graveyard smash. You'll catch on in a flash, and you'll do the monster mash!"

Alexander burst into a fit of giggling. "That was clever! I haven't heard that song in years! Oh man, you got me good!"

Back