House of Madness

"Then keep your feathers to yourself," Pendle said sternly. "Do not flap and fly about the house while molting. Actually, you should not fly about the house at all. That is bound to cause trouble and brake things." He walked away to the kitchen.

Vlad was picking up a few more feathers and looking at them curiously.

"I think they could be used to make something very pretty," Vlad said with a smile.

Muir pushed passed Vlad. "Could you not stand in the doorway and block it?" he sighed then brightened. "Mmm, I smell carrots and garlic!" He started toward the kitchen.

"Like what?" Alexander's curiosity peaked. There were a lot of things that can be made from feathers: feather pillows, ittle decorations, toys, clothes, and much more. He entered the kitchen and sniffed the air indifferently.

"Well, if you need more, just check the floor. Not to sound selfish, but I'm not plucking out my feathers. It hurts," Alexander replied as he took a seat at the table, ankles crossed.

"Of course I would not expect you to pull out your feathers!" Vlad proclaimed, sounding anguished at the very thought.

"Who's pulling out feathers?" Muir and Tinker asked in unison, impressive as Muir was sitting at the table and Tinker had just walked into the room.

"Oh, that's good, then," Tinker said, dropping into a seat.

Pendle ladled out bowls of stew with pork pieces, carrots, chopped onions, and garlic, placing a dollop of mashed potatoes on top of each portion before handing them out.

Nodding his thanks, Alexander stared indifferently down at his bowl. The stew looked...strange, to say the least. He spooned some in his beak and swallowed and smiled approvingly. "Hmmmm...not bad."

"I am glad you aprove," Pendle said a touch dryly.

"I don't work tomorrow," Muir said. "Maybe I can help you look for work?"

"That would be awesome, Muir, thanks," the birdman said appreciatively. He hummed a gentle melody under his breath as he ate.

"Please don't sing at the table, Alexander. You will get the tune stuck in everyone's heads," Pendle pointed out with a smile.

"How come you are so boring, Pendle?" Tinker groaned.

"Because boring keeps a roof over your heaads," Pendle replied calmly.

Alexander stopped humming. "I digress. It's hard work and dedication that keeps a roof over your head."

Pendle and Vlad both paused and looked at Alexander.

"I think you mean 'disagree,' my friend," Vlad corrected goodnaturedly.

"Hard work and dedication usually are boring," Tinker pointed out.

"True, but you can have fun with it," he looked to Vlad. "You work hard and are dedicated to your singing, right?"

"Of course not," Vlad chuckled. "I am not a singer by trade, merely for fun these days, and my actual trade I do not have much dedication for, nor is it hard work."

"Which is how he came to be with me," Pendle remarked.

"I see. Anyhow, my point is, you can be both dedicated to your job and have fun with it," Alexander swallowed another mouthful

Back