House of Madness

"I cannot disagree, though I am afraid that is not the case here," Vlad said. "I am frightfully undedicated." He didn't sound the least bit sorry about it.

"Oh. Well, whatever job I get, I'm going to do my best to do good at it and have fun," Alexander said.

"Maybe not too much fun! Your last job proved you were not so good at juggling eggs, after all," Muir teased gently.

Alexander chuckled lightly. "That wasn't necessarily me having too much fun, just me not thinking clearly and being clumsy."

"Tell me about it. This one time I was pushing a kart of juice that had just arrived, and I slammed it into one of those display things they have in the middle of the isles. Several glass stuff was broken that day," Alexander ducked his head ashamedly at the end. "Guess I'm unfit for retail."

"That's pretty intense, alright," Tinker said. "You'll just have to either find something you can't break or get a hold on that clumsiness."

"Yeah, guess so. Maybe I'll just stay out of retail," Alexander replied, swallowing his last bite of the stew.

"I'm honestly not sure. I know I could never do a job where I'm constantly needed. I'd like a typical nine-five position," the avian said.

"I'm not sure. I don't think I'd do well with administrative stuff, considering I can't get my head on straight sometimes."

"That is good since no one would higher you to be an administrator without any previous experience or good previous work experience," Pendle said dryly.

Alexander squeezed his teary eyes shut. He couldn't do retail, he had no post-secondary education, and he had no work experience. This was going to be much harder than he thought. A single tear trickled down his feathery face.

Tinker frowned. "Why are you crying? It's just a job. You apply to a thousand and one of them and hope to get one, and when you do, you do your best. Certainly nothing to cry over."

"Hush, no need to be so harsh," Vlad said, handing Alexander a handkercheif. "The poor little thing simply needs a bit of encouragement."

"That's what I'm giving him," Tinker pointed out as she stood, picking up her dishes.

Alexander nodded in thanks and wiped his face dry. "It's just harder than it seems, and with the holidays around the bend, that makes it even harder."

"It means you don't have to try to get time off, if you don't have a job yet," Muir pointed out, trying to be helpful.

Back