How can I creat a character?

I start with an archetype: leader, rogue, druid, burdened psychic, romantic warrior, lonely shapeshifter, spiritual temple guardian, etc.

Once I have a very general idea, I draw out my classic base character sheet.
Age, name, gender, race, physical details like approximate build, hair color, eye color, etc. Then the mental traits like a 5-word personality description, fears, traits, etc. And a skills section about what they can do and why. Add a history to explain the rest of the CS and voila.

I find the most important part in creating a coherent character I to give them a backstory. Every trait and item listed on the CS should be explained in their history: why they have armor making skills, why they sensitive to light, why theyre afraid of water, why theyre optimists, etc.

For many people, creating a character is the hardest part. If you think about it, you are creating a whole other being inside of your thoughts and putting them forth on the screen before you. That's a big deal, ya know? At least...for me, it is. XD I always start with the race. Race determines so many things: class, name design, personality, culture, etc. For example, you don't typically see a dwarf singing to the heavens while eating green leaves and wearing a glowing necklace, do you? From there, you can build on it. Each of my builds come differently to me.

I'll give one of my favs as an example. In the last couple of months, I created a human soldier in a world where the greatest honor for a soldier to have was slaying a dragon. Only issue was, when she slayed her first dragon, she had absolutely no idea that she was destined to become a dragon rider. As such, she grew cold and harsh, finding herself unable to properly communicate with others. She felt immense guilt, but had no reason for it. Then, when she finally grew the courage to resign, she found herself standing among other dragon riders with the magic to enhance her mind...but no dragon. Of course, that build was on my world, so I get more fun toys to play with.

For a char that is not a part of my world and was designed entirely for another RP, I created a char for one of Soul's (see post above me). Her name was Shirin. Again, she was human, a mercenary. She didn't want to be one initially, but she loved the art of the sword and was surprisingly good at it. Because of her upbringing, she was kind and had a hard time even thinking about the possibility of killing someone. After having to do so, she found herself lost with her own thoughts. On the brink of death, she was saved by her leader and shown the path of her true destiny. But because she is horrible at talking to strangers - and horrible at loving - she was awkward, always trying to correct herself. Always second guessing. She was angry that she couldn't speak her mind, but she didn't know how to handle it. A very lovely char to play, for sure.

I do agree with Soul, though. Backstory is important for finding your character. Try to formulate a story for this character as you scroll through endless images to find that perfect one. As you think about it, slowly building on small traits, such as appearance and personality, you may just find that this story comes to you. Though it's hard for some, try to let your charries speak to you. You might just be surprised what that can do. <3

Hope that helped a little, at least. ^^ Best of luck to you! If you ever need any help coming up with a backstory, you can always shoot me a PM with a basic outline, and maybe I can help by asking questions. The more questions you're able to answer, the more you'll know about the char! XD

Back