How did you discover roleplaying?

A wolf rp called Wolf Acres. The site still exists but it's dead. Can't remember how I found it though. I've been doing rp on and off for 16 years.

I saw some people roleplaying in Runescape. Frankly, I was thirteen at the time and was looking into it for more... immature reasons, but it's grown to be more of a serious hobby.

I always had a HUGE imagination so me and my little sister would make up characters as we played together as kids. When it came to the time of discovering the internet, we both took our creative skills to sites like DA and forums like this one. I discovered what RP truly meant on the interwebs many years ago so I've had lots of practice ever since.

I first discovered it on Wireclub around 4-5 years ago, in a "Vampire and werewolf roleplay" room. I got curious, so I popped in and started asking questions. I got kicked out in like, five minutes.

I was casually browsing through some fandom forums when I saw the roleplay section. (Can't remember what it was exactly, probably something like the Warriors series) I was curious and bored and decided to try it out. And then from there, the hobby escalated. I'm glad it did because it's such a nice outlet for my emotions and thoughts.

Oh boy...

Ohhhhh booooooy...

This is a damn story.

So back in like 2012 I was obsessed with with monster collecting/training games. So I went on the app store and searched up "Monster" and the third result was a game called "Monster Kingdom".

Now, Monster Kingdom mind you was a game not deserving of its four start rating. It boasted to having over ninety collectible monsters but the monsters were categorized into species like dog monsters or cat monsters, each species had four sub categories of monsters with different builds, but the only difference was the fact that they had different colors. It was like saying a Pikachu and a Shiny Pikachu are different Pokemon. Ten monsters were actually unique.

The battles were awful too, you could do one of two moves per turn, that was it and so essentially you couldn't be strategic or anything, you just needed to pray for critical hits. The character designs for your "friends" were bad too, generic girl scout and stereotypical nerd. The girl scout was usually smiling but sometimes her portrait would turn into a sad face, the nerd wasn't given that treatment as the developers thought her design was too complex to change her facial expression.

I was about three weeks in to playing that game when I discovered a tab at the bottom of the screen "forums." The forums were divided into "News," "Questions," "Stories," and "Off Topic." The stories forum was full of roleplays. The people who frequented Off Topic hated the roleplayers for reasons they never went into but in all honesty, the roleplayers were obnoxious. No one knows why the Story forum was created, the forums weren't meant for roleplaying but the admins never gave us a straight answer.

I myself checked out thee first roleplay I saw "Warriors: The Fall of Starclan" which plot was "Starclan is dying we need to save them." I asked how Starclan was dying, for those unaware of the Warriors series when a cat dies in that their soul joins Starclan. Apparently the creator didn't like my asking and told me to either behave to be banned. Then she private messaged me and asked "no one knows you, why?" As if my early level monsters and status "I'm New!" didn't explain it enough. I never responded and stayed away from the toxic Warrior roleplays which were actually really common and poor quality and made me give up on reading the series.

Over the next three or four years I kept roleplaying and wound up being a very sarcastic writer and was often referred as a member of the "Council of Roleplayers" or something by both the writers and the off topic-ers. The writers liked if I joined their roleplays and the OTers hated me and what I stood for despite me being on relatively good terms with a lot of them.

Then one day Monster Kingdom Two was announced and everyone got excited to see what the future held.

Then Monster Kingdom Two was released and was a flop.

Then the developers, Zhurosoft went bankrupt and removed all their apps without telling us. I had a few of my Monster Kingdom friends on Kik so I have contact with them still but most people I never heard from again.

MK was a horrible game with a toxic community but it's what got me into writing and without it I don't think I would be writing my novel.

Also, if you are reading this, Tikashi, I still hate you.

us-iphone-1-monster-kingdom.jpeg

(It's hours of adventure because once your stanima depletes, no matter how much you have it takes an hour to recharge. On some later levels a single battle took your whole bar away so it could take hours to beat a difficult battle. Of course, you could pay a doller to refill it.)

I was on Neopets. They head a forum section, and one Roleplaying section with many different topics. That was my first experience, but things kinda went crazy in my early teens and I fell out of roleplaying. Then lucky me a few years later my love for RP was rekindled when I was finally introduced to table top, and it grew from there.

I discovered roleplaying in a desperate attempt to become a writer. It seemed difficult at first, and it still does now, but I have improved and have come to the conclusion that I will eventually be a good enough roleplayer to become a writer.

When I was little My Dad would play D&D with his friends every weekend...
I loved listening to the adventures they went on, the Stories of knights and Dragons… I would sneak out of bed and hide behind the sofa and listen until i fell asleep. I would of course always wake up in my own bed.

They say as soon as i was tall enough to see over the kitchen table i insisted on joining them. And they were nice enough to let me try. Turns out i was able to hold my own pretty well so they let me keep playing on the weekends. The rest… is an adventure all it's own.

The year was 2001.

Li'l Bisque had just gotten internet access. There, I stumbled upon Neopets and AOL Chatrooms. People used to roleplay All The Fandoms on those sites, back in the day. I remember the classic anime dubs of the 90's being quite popular—Sailor Moon, Gundam Wing, Ranma 1/2, and such. That's where I got my start!

Growing up, my friends and I used to play around and act like we were our favourite TV or movie characters. I suppose that's just a thing that kids do. As we got older, we started creating our own imaginary worlds and characters. I lived on a farm so there was lots of room for imagination. We were pirates, superheroes, demigods, wizards, animals, princesses and just about anything you can think of.

So, one day my best friend and I were in the middle of playing out this AMAZING story that I can't even really remember, but it was awesome. And we were in the middle of it when her parents came to fetch her and she had to go home. We were probably about 11 or 12 at the time. There was this texting app called Mxit. We were so into this 'game' that we were playing that we couldn't just let it go, so we decided to text each other the actions and dialogues of our characters. And that's where it all started. We could do a lot more in writing than we could in real life, so pretty soon we were playing through texts even when we were both together just chilling in my room.

This continued all the way into high school and we never told anyone, because we both thought it was kinda weird and embarrassing. Then when I was about 15 or so, another friend of mine told me about online roleplaying and I was like DUDE! This is what we've been doing this entire time! It's an actual thing that people do! So, I joined my first online roleplaying site. It was a Vampire Diaries RP site and I played the character of Katherine for the longest time. But I quickly grew frustrated with the fact that I could only be one character and it had to be canon and there were so many restrictions. So, I scoured the internet and I found a more open and creative site and I've been pretty much addicted to roleplaying ever since.

I didnt. Roleplaying discovered me, vhen I vas around... 16 yrs old. Pissed off at evryone and evrything, thanx to the fucked-up family situation, and needing a release. That release come in 3 ways; 1) geting into a fuck-load of trouble in school, fights and such, and flirting vith professors (eventualy got kicked out for a affair vith one), 2) trying to deal vith my issues by taking up martial arts full time (worked... to a point), and 3)... roleplaying. Chaneling all that in-to something creative, and also use the fantasy world to vent out my frustrations at the real world. Eventualy discovered I'm actualy prety good at creative writing, so RPing become more then just a exaust vent. And... my love of it stayed vith me to this day.

My realization of my own mental instability led me to create an outlet for that insanity. AKA roleplay.

I honestly don't remember, but it was like, everyone is doing it so why not??
I think it all started when I created and bought OCs and first I just used to draw them, but yeah, kinda ignored them, but then I decided to join a community and I found dis.

Well, I was thirteen, and I had a really good friend who introduced me to The Keep first. Unfortunately, at the time, the community on The Keep was extremely hostile, so I bounced between there and slightly more child-friendly sites until I stopped giving a rat's behind about someone else's opinions. xD

I started role-playing properly last year (around June 2016) though I guess I've always been writing for a longer time. The site wasn't even specifically for role-playing, it was an otome style game with different threads within its forums. I really enjoyed it there but it limited a lot of content including swear words and 18+ scenes. Despite that it worked really well, til they updated the site and I could barely use it anymore.​

Oh gosh, now that's a story. When I was a kid I used to watch my dad play video games on our family console all the time, RPGs in particular. I was fascinated by the epic stories and awesome heroes and I started playing on my own pretty much as soon as I could figure out how. The first game I started on was Oblivion, which was the only game we owned at the time where I could make my own character.

I was hooked. I used to sneak downstairs and play the game on mute and spend hours making all these different characters. Eventually I started coming up with backstories for them, usually basic stuff stolen from other games I liked, but it was so much fun pretending to be them that in school I would try to draw them and make up adventures for them to go on. A short while later my mom got me Kingdom Hearts for my 12th birthday (mostly because it had Disney characters and I was a kid). I fell in love with the series almost immediately despite not being able to make my own OC for it. Of course when I looked it up on the internet lo and behold there were literally hundreds of fan made stories and art. That was how I found that my silly hobby was something quite a lot of people did for fun.

I was too shy to roleplay online, not to mention that my parents wouldn't have ever let me, so I started bugging my best friend to try it with me through text messaging. The stories were dumb, over-dramatic and full of plot holes and Mary Sues but it was so much fun we kept it up until we graduated high school. Then I started playing tabletop games and eventually decided to get back into things online.

So yeah. Everything in my life was ruined all because of Oblivion's character creation. :p

Back