How did you discover roleplaying?

When I was 13 I had a friend that got me into roleplaying on YouTube. I know what your thinking but yes I started on YouTube. It was back when YouTube still let you customize your channels and we used the comments on our pages as a way to roleplay back and forth. After youtube changed I moved to roleplaying on Skype with friends till I found geeking. I stayed on geeking for a long time till it got shut down. I’ve been bouncing around trying to find a place to roleplay ever since.

because we're being quarantined, I was looking for a hobby to work on! Ive always enjoyed roleplaying n roblox or whatever so I looked up if there where any roleplaying sights I would enjoy. and I found this! the thing that egged me on to look for one was roleplaying on the 16personalities websight (dumb, I know)

Oh, I love that this was made into a thread!

I believe it was my last year in middle school? Yeah, my friend introduced me to a Hogwarts roleplaying site, and after that, I was hooked! I spent the entire summer in front of my boxed shaped computer with dial-up speed, roleplaying a first-year student at Hogwarts. I can distinctly remember trying to find someone to write with me. I was so eager and so inexperienced. NO ONE wanted to write with me except for one person. I often think about them and wonder if they still write and what they are up to now.

fun fact I actually found the site that started it all. It was cool to see how much it had changed.

Funny thing, I found roleplaying by playing a hide and seek app, multiple people used it to roleplay and just from there, I became a hug roleplayer and I just loved it!! So I kept on roleplaying and roleplayin, and that’s how I found it...

Well, three years ago, I was looking for some fan stories of Steven Universe, FNAF, etcetera when I discovered Quotev. I fit in right away, when someone messaged me asking to RP with them. I asked what that meant, and they explained. I was intrigued by the concept and thus jumped down the rabbit hole into the wonderland that was RP. That's how I found it!

Oh this is a trip down memory lane I don't particularly enjoy. I started on IMVU when I was 11. I didn't really understand it, but just kind of.. did it. And now, here I am. So yeah

Honestly as kids I loved roleplaying crap and the same when playing video games. I loved making my character super wacky or different from me. When my house internet i found a site called aeria games and that's where rping kicked into overdrive. However that was when the forums were dying, so I was late to the party.

When I was in seventh grade and one of my best friends was in eighth grade we were both super into writing stories and Harry Potter. We kind of just started writing a roleplay with our OC characters going to Hogwarts with the golden trio.

I first found out about roleplaying when I went to the King Richard's Fair. My mother explained it to me and basically forced me and my sister to go to the fair with her without my dad realizing that we were gone because he was on a work trip. I don't like my mother now for personal reasons but the King Richard's fair was great. She got us dresses and tiaras and gave us an entire backstory. After that, she taught me and my sister the world of roleplaying at the young age of 6.

This is going to be a long one, so pull up a seat, get some popcorn, your favorite drink, and some assorted snacks as I tell you the tale of how I got into roleplaying...

First, back in elementary school (or grade school if you prefer it that way), the boys (the occasional girls) and I used to do some playing around on the playground. We would play as characters from different universes, or just make up our own characters to play as. One of the big ones that we did were Sci-Fi scenarios. The biggest ones we ever did were Halo. I was an ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), and often times a UNSC Marine. We were even the Covenant. You have no idea what it's like for an eight year old boy playing as an alien race bent on wiping out humanity. It's pretty fun.

Then, still in elementary school, I discovered this hide-and-seek game on the App store, that was almost completely used for roleplaying. That's where I found out what roleplaying was and what RP meant.

Then, in middle school, I discovered on this site called Wattpad that people were using the comments and creating actual areas where people could roleplay. I got into a Star Wars one, a super hero one, and a couple of others. That's really where it took off for me, as I became addicted to RP from there. I think on one of my roleplays we got to 4000 posts. That's right, 4000. Yeah, it's a lot, and it was only me and one other person.

Then, I found this Star Wars site that is still active and kicking to this day. I joined it, and became instantly hooked on it. I loved it, every second of it. I became addicted. It helped me to better progress my writing skills, and my roleplaying experience. I also found this fantasy site that is also still active to this day. I am still on both of them, and I am still very active on them.

Then, I found STC, and here we are now.

Found it on FanFiction.net, created an Elder Scrolls roleplay and met the girl who is now the love of my life. All in all, it was pretty great!

I was in the market for a new RP Browser game. Now many of these don't include a lot of actual writing RP though they try to encourage it. The game I eventually found had both game mechanics (clicking to attack, steal and what have you), and they had forums set up for roleplaying.

Being new I took it slowly then found some people to write with regularly and it took off for me. I absolutely enjoy this style of creating stories collaboratively. It's particularly good when all parties are invested in the story and really bring it to life.

The place I found does modern supernatural which is totally in my wheelhouse. It's what I love to read and what I had been writing for some time. What roleplaying has really done for me, apart from all the fantastic peeps I have met, it helped me to build characters far better than I had before. Character creation and that point where they become alive and almost their own person creating their own stories is one I cherish.

The first time I took on a character was in elementary school. During our free time I had a group of friends with a mutual fandom (FNaF) and we picked characters and just started spinning a story. Eventually the first ocs popped up and it just got even better. Recently I've been doing text rps with close friends.
I haven't done any rp online though, and I'm excited to do so once I get approved lol

I was like 13 in a chat at a friend's and they fall asleep while we were chatting with other people and I found a chat that was roleplaying so I jumped in and it was fun. Confusing at first but fun, this was when AOL messenger was more fun and open.

I discovered roleplaying by a game called Animal Jam. I moved on from there to 1x1 rps with my cousins. I took a few years break, but my interest in storytelling with others has once again peaked.

I joined the app geeking on a whim. I had heard that it was somewhat chaotic and dangerous there, but I thought it would give me an opportunity to try something new. I had always liked the art of story-telling and often wrote in my free time, however I would sometimes struggle with deciding where to take the story or how to develop a character. Roleplaying allowed me to create a story with someone else which meant that more possibilities than I could even come up with could happen, and I wouldn't be stuck having to make choices that could ruin my entire storyline if that makes sense.

What really made me fall in love with roleplaying was an apocalypse group roleplay that I ran, and the character who was most actively intertwined with my own was very engaging to roleplay with. The guy behind the character was also super cool, and I wish we were still in touch because he was really the first friend I made in the roleplay community.

I also enjoy an escape from reality sometimes because I struggle with mental health from time to time. When I started roleplaying was around the time it was getting bad, and it was nice to just be someone else for a while.

I was searching a book on google and I found that book's rpg site. It was 9 years ago. I signed up and started to writing. More accurately, started to learning how to write haha.

Back