1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. New and confused? Can't post? Looking for information regarding account approval? Check out our website guide to see if any of your questions are covered there! If your questions aren't covered under our guide, post them up in your introduction thread or the help forum.

How do you create your characters (process...)

Discussion in 'Writer's Circle' started by Midnight Melody, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Haven

Haven *Casually walks in* ... Hi... *Casually walks out*

I think of my characters motive first of all. Then I build a character around all of that. Mainly one that resembles me and my choices

2. Mikayla

Mikayla New Member

I usually start with a basis of what I want my character to be. More often then not, I got inspiration for a character personality before I start writing it. So once I have a very simple base laid out, I create a name and look that goes with the personality. Then I go in and write out 9 traits; 3 positive traits, 3 neutral traits, and 3 negative traits. I usually write a little description of each trait. Once that is done, I’ll then go and write a detailed backstory. After all that, I write down some of the less necessary things about the character (i.e. likes and dislikes, hobbies, educational background, quirks).

Sometimes, after I finish writing a character, I write a little short story (either a backstory short or just a little hypothetical scenario-based piece) with the character to get a sense of how the character thinks and acts and reacts.

It’s a process that takes long, but it’s always worked for me.