How Green Becomes Wood

He did as he was told, making absolutely no trouble and standing perfectly still. By no means was he talkative, but he did his best to be friendly, even though he had little to no interest in being sociable. While waiting for the negative to develop, and while in a place he could, he sent a quick text to Daizi to also tell her he would be home soon, and that he loved her.

Then, when the negatives were ready, he went to look over them with the doctor, looking dimly at his own skeleton.

~~

"They're wonderful," Daizi said, her face glowing, "It's been such an experience to see how much they've matured in only a year and a half. I don't know if it's like that with Peter, I guess I'll find out in fifteen years with Ivy, but they've grown so much, and it's like... The personalities they had when they first came here were such a pale version of who they actually are now that they've had the space to really settle in and relax."

Alec sent a text to Daizi saying they expected to be home soon, and then he and Xander just waited for something to happen. They sat quietly in the waiting room with a few other people, everyone effectively doing their best to mind their own business and not bother anyone else.

The doctor frowned as she looked over the image with Dark. There were a lot of pale lines that showed past breaks that had healed, but the one she was most interested in was the one in the rib area. "Yes, the rib is damaged," she concluded. "I talked to the radiologist, and they were able to tell me that it is just a thin fracture. It will heal on its own as long as you don't push yourself too hard, but it will take a few weeks. I would estimate six weeks. If you take it easy."

~~

"Not quite. It's more like watching his personality develop from something raw and unformed to something more defined," Sally mused. "Certain elements were always there, but some faded while new ones came to be. It was fascinating to watch and a marvel to be a part of."

"I thought so. Thank you." Dark said simply. Then he gathered the rest of his things, confirmed with her when he would be able to return to his usual activity level, if there were any restrictions on what he could lift, and promised to take it easy, Despite not being particularly warm, he wasn't going to be rude to a stranger, especially not a medical professional who was just doing her job. She didn't break his rib.

Once he had all the information he needed, he walked with her back to the waiting room, rejoining his sons, "It is just a little bruised, it will be healed in no time at all."

~~

Turning her face towards Sally, still lying on her back, Daizi beamed, "We're really lucky, aren't we?"

"Oh good!" Alec breathed in relief. "Still, bruises are not fun. You'll have to take it easy right along with Xander."

"Yay," Xander said bleakly as he stood, but he couldn't completely hide his relief. He'd been worried Dark was hurt a lot worse. He didn't want Dark to be in pain at all, but bruises were better than breaks. "Let's get home so Mama can fuss over us all."

"I'll help. I'm in the best shape," Alec said, hurrying ahead to open the door for his brother and father once they were ready to leave. "Thank you, Doctor!"

~~

"So incredibly lucky," Sally agreed. Then she admitted, "I sometimes feel guilty for how much I did not want Peter at the beginning, especially now that I have him. He is the most precious thing to me right there with my husband. I would gladly live in a tiny apartment and work at a... a Walmart if it meant keeping my family together and happy. Although, I'd really rather not."

"I will have to," He agreed, stopping at the counter to pay the copay, and then went with them to the car. When he saw their relief, part of him regretted his lie, but it really reaffirmed his belief that it was the correct choice. Now they didn't need to worry very much at all. Daizi would know the truth, but she'd keep it secret from them. She'd understand. "Have you told your Aunt, if you are planning on telling her?"

~~

"When I had my first miscarriage, I was relieved. Glad, even." Daizi replied, choosing to admit something she found hard to accept for herself to try to make Sally feel more secure. "It's impossible to tell how you'll feel about something unplanned when you're living with the result of it."

"Oh," Alec said soberly as they headed for the car. "I... hadn't even thought about that. She'd go ballistic, but in her really, really cold way."

"I dunno. She might not. Does she even need to know?" Xander asked with a frown.

~~

Sally reached out and squeezed Daizi's shoulder gently. "We're told not to regret the past, that it does nothing to help, but that's hard sometimes. A lot of the times." She smiled then and reached out to Ivy. "But now we both have a life I don't think either of us would have dreamed we'd have."

"Not if you do not want her to," Dark replied, cautiously sitting down and buckling his seatbelt, "I do not know if she ends up seeing any police reports, or if she has our names flagged on some... data base of some sort."

~~

"Despite... the events of yesterday, and the fall out we're having now, I really am beyond happy," Daizi kissed Ivy one last time before allowing Sally to take her. "Maybe a bit stir-crazy, and definitely exhausted, but happy. I mean, I still wish the twins wanted us to adopt them formally, because I'd like to have that absolute certainty there won't be some unexpected event that will take them away from us, but I'm... satisfied, with how we are. And I love them so much, I love every time I get to refer to my boys, or my sons... They're incredible people. I don't know how I got so fortunate that Dark found them out in the snow that day. It was fate, I suppose."

"Nah, or else she would have called by now! Right?" Alec smiled. He winced when he saw Dark wince. "I'm sorry I can't drive for you."

~~

"Truly a fortunate turn of fate," Sally agreed. She bounced Ivy gently. "I do not wish to pry into private business, but have they told you why they don't want to be adopted?"

"Maybe she, too, is conducting her own investigation." Dark said blandly, starting the car. "You do not have to feel bad about it, it just hurts a little when I get in because I am bending. The rest of the drive is not so bad."

Then he began the little drive home.

~~

"Alec said it wouldn't feel right." Daizi answered, shutting her eyes and listening to Ivy's little gurgles, "I didn't ask for more information than that. He then found me sobbing my eyes out and told me I'm still his mom."

Satisfied by Dark's answer, Alec settled back and watched the scenery while they drove. Xander leaned back in silence, looking a little green. He didn't like car rides anymore.

~~

"Oh, you poor dear," Sally murmured, truly hurting on Daizi's behalf. "That would be so difficult to hear. It must be complicated for him, as well, but I couldn't imagine the pain for you. I'm sorry. I would have thought it would be Xander saying no and Alec going for the adoption."

Back