Resolved/Answered How Long Does It Take To Become Approved

I'm just curious, because I joined about 2 days ago and I thought I would've been approved by now, but I'm still waiting for the trophy to pop up telling me that I am.

I'm looking forward to using this site and write, but as an unapproved member I'm limited.

On the contrary, people not being approved has nothing to do with Admins being busy. People are approved daily, but their accounts aren't flagged for review until they meet the roughly outlined criteria that we have posted up for them. In this situation the individual was flagged for review on Saturday night (late, when no one was awake), and marked for approval Sunday. The trophies run on a cron that only runs every few hours (otherwise it would bog the system down constantly rechecking if anyone qualifies for new trophies yet), so the result isn't immediately evident. In this case the user was marked as approved, and then abandoned the place that very same day (within an hour of the trophy notification going through). This wasn't a case of a user posting all over the place and going unnoticed. Excluding their departure post that was made after they were approved, they had made eight posts (which is well within our usual review amount and not an unreasonable length of time or quantity. Accounts are typically reviewed for approval within 5-10 posts of arrival assuming all the outlined criteria has been met). They also sent a PM to myself in which the requirements for approval were outlined to them in the event they hadn't found any of the approval information threads already. This user was not handled any less efficiently than any other user before them.

It is unfortunate they have decided to leave, but we have this information posted everywhere, and an explanation of why we do things this way. We value patience and genuine interest in joining the community (it has nothing to do with assuming people are trolls or trouble makers as the individual in question unfortunately believed, and everything to do with making sure people share our personal values). It's an introduction period for people to take the time to understand the community and to determine if it's a good match for them. I explain this because telling people that they weren't approved because the 'admins are busy' undermines the system and circulates false information. As said above. Approvals are done daily. If someone isn't approved, they simply aren't interacting very much.

That all said, as this user was already marked as approved before they departed, they're more than welcome to change their mind and remain, or to go ahead and depart if they feel that our community isn't a good match for them.

Copy pasted from a thread where I might have ticked off the admin a bit. Hope this helps.

Just play around the community, introduce yourself, check out the main lobby, and you should be approved pretty soon after a half dozen posts or so.

Hm anything else I still need to do to become approved? Pretty sure I hit most things in order to become approved as I followed the link.

Please refer to the following quote from the help file

"If your account isn't being approved, this is generally due to either not posting an introduction thread, not posting anywhere outside of your introduction thread, not posting in any of the above mentioned community forums, and/or posting spammy non-engaging content in an effort to get approved faster. Five thoughtful and engaging posts will get you approved faster than twenty one sentence nonsensical comments that don't give us anything to work with. (Example: Participating in a Writer's Circle discussion to aid a fellow writer, writing out a thoughtful post in the Discussions & Debates forum, and actually participating in your own introduction thread will all be looked upon more positively than non-engaging single sentence reply threads like 'what's your favorite food'. The latter won't be looked upon poorly, but also these kind of posts likely will be skimmed past when reviewing an account, so they won't be very likely to help either).

Hope this helps!

Sokka

Back