How Long...

Frisky

#IRun
Hey guys,

I was wondering how long your posts are on average. I usually complete 1-2 paragraphs per post, but sometimes I feel it is just to short. Do you guys have any suggestion for things I could add to make them longer?

-Frisky

Honestly theres no rule, in my case. I love to make a biiiiiiig, detailed opening post, to establish MC and the setting, but after that, it depends on the events in the RP. If theres alot going on, my posts wil reflekt that. If not... realy depends on how much my partner gives me to work vith. If they make one-liners, I'l make them too (and quit the RP before too long, since I hate one-liners, and dont want to be vriting a fucking novel w/o any participation from my partner). If they put effort in-to it, I'l put effort too.

In the 1 RP I got going here so far, I'm prety conzistent at 2 paragraphs a post. Thats because my partner is awesome and puts effort in-to the RP. :) Now if only he actualy posted more often.... grrr...

It depends on the purpose of my post. Answers or questions are usually short and concise. If I want to paint a picture, then I can go on for very long.

However long they need to be for the particular scene I'm writing. Could be one line, could be twenty paragraphs.

I usually write one to two paragraphs too. Just enough to put details and emotions into my work. If I need to do shorter or longer I will depending on the RP/story.

I'd like to open by saying that there is no right answer to how much you should write/how long a post should be. Write as much or as little as you feel comfortable with/feel fits the RP/is a full response to the post before. There really is no magic number, but most people have some preference or other so it's good to be able to be versatile with how much or little you can write.

On average my posts can be as short as two paragraphs to well over ten (though 10+ is primarily for scene setting/scene changing/description/that sort of thing). I usually stick somewhere in the 3-5/6 range though, I've found that consistently trying to pump out huge replies can get difficult when things are addressed and there's less to respond to. It can also make conversation rather difficult and stilted which is such a killer for me - it can be so painful to try and track conversations past to present and back again while trying to move a story along and keeping everything working.

On things to make your posts longer, you can consider; environment, body movement to display or enhance emotion (showing rather than telling), going more in depth with thoughts and feelings + if you're working with 3rd person you can get a bit omnipotent and throw bits of knowledge about other characters/events/lore/etc in there as a sort of backstory. Also, phrasing is a good way to make a sentence longer, (thanks, high school essays for teaching me that one) you can throw a bunch of fluff in and do some fancy wording and your 7 word sentence is now double the length.

Below is a quick thing I wrote up as an example. Top paragraph is pretty bare bones and only a few sentences while the second expands on some of the things I mentioned earlier and in turn has greatly grown in length. Both are completely acceptable paragraphs an get the same core information across but in different ways.

Julian stood and glared across the table toward Marc. "How dare you! How could you say something like that when Sara is still missing. She could still be alive!" He yelled, crossing his arms over his chest in anger, seething while Marc tried to blubber out an excuse.

Julian stood suddenly after having sat through the whole meeting up to that point in silence. It had been going smoothly. Well... as smoothly as anything went nowadays, but no one had pulled a gun yet and the only threats were hissed under breath and said to the floor rather than to faces. He slammed a hand down on the table, causing cups to rattle and a sudden silence to fall over the room, nearly as thick as the dust that blanketed the broken furniture. Once he was sure he had everyone's attention Julian turned his dark gaze to Mark. The mousy man had taken the seat at the other side of the table and was looking rather guilty - though that may have just been a natural result of his beady eyes and bad posture. "How dare you! How could you say something like that when Sara is still missing. She could still be alive!" He had raised his voice to a yell, and though terse his words were spoken evenly. Crossing his arms over his chest in anger Julian couldn't help but seethe while Marc tried to blubber out some sort of an excuse. How the man had ever risen to be placed in a position of leadership he would never know, he wasn't sure if he wanted to. Some rocks were better left unturned.

Hopefully my take on this and all of the nonsense above makes sense and even better actually helps someone out!

Back