How to describe a voice?

Something I'm having trouble with is describing the voice of a character in my book. Normally, it doesn't matter what their voice sounds like unless it's supposed to be annoying or something, but this is different. The protagonist, Lucas, is with a boy named Satoshi. They are both 17, and Satoshi is normally very silent. But when inside Satoshi's house, he finally speaks in his normal tone. And it ends up being beautiful.

The reason I need to describe Satoshi's voice is because it is supposed to make the protagonist shocked that this silent boy has such an angelic voice. I want to write at least a paragraph from Lucas' perspective about Satoshi's voice, but describing it is difficult. The best words I can use for it right now are silvery and angelic. But his voice isn't supposed to be feminine either, it's still masculine.

Silvery and angelic don't particularly strike me as insinuating a feminine voice so you should be fine using them. Other descriptors that I can think of off the top of my head that relate are; light, soft, velvety, airy, gentle, musical, melodic, serene, silken/silky, smooth.

In addition to just describing the voice, you can also liken it to something by using a comparison. Since you're writing from the perspective of the other character, this would be pretty easy to integrate into the scene. The second link I've included gives a lot of really good examples for using comparisons to describe voice.

Here are a few sites that I found which have compiled lists of words to describe voices;
http://www.bryndonovan.com/2015/12/14/master-list-of-words-to-describe-voices/
http://kathysteinemann.com/Musings/voices/

this isnt coming from any amount of professionalism, but i find that knowing how mouths create voices and accents helps a lot.
to describe, someone with a feminine voice often speaks that way because their throat is tighter than a man's typically is, causing a softer, more delicate sound (but not necessarily a higher pitched one). while a masculine one is more guttural (coming from the throat) and sounds rougher because of that. something else to understand is that most of the time voices arent actually as stereotypically gender specific as you might think, with plenty of variance between people regardless of what sex they are. it's fairly easy to recognise a female voice when you're in the presence of one, but when that voice becomes detached from the body (via recording or simply just not seeing the person) the sex of said person immediately can become very difficult to tell.

another thing to look into is describing each separate part of the voice, and breaking it down into it's components. think to yourself, what are the lips doing, what are the teeth doing, how are they interacting with their tongue, what volume are they speaking, what pitch is their voice, is it rough and coarse, or is it soft and slippery. what is their current attitude and mood and how does that affect the way they sound? do they have a particularly dominant accent, and if they don't, what connections might other people draw to other cultures? maybe they have a slight lisp when they pronounce their "r"s or "l"s, or maybe they have trouble with their "w"s. do they have a noticeable mannerism that could change people's perception of how their voice is? maybe they have a honeyed, silver tongue and are prone to lying their way out of things, and this is noticeable in how they speak. maybe they are are quick to judge and their voice sounds harsh and sudden, causing skittish people to be nervous in their presence. maybe they are sweet people and their voice sounds sweet as well.
try researching different accents from around the world and how they're produced, or maybe listen to celebreties or friends speak and try to think of the things they remind you of.

a personal favourite of mine is the "husky" voice. a voice that sounds rough and a little scratchy, but in a very seductive and attractive way. someone who is tired or just woke up might sound a bit husky. if youre sick you might also gain a bit of a husky voice. a husky voice typically has it's own strange smoothness to it, despite sounding low and a little gravelly. perhaps simply due to it's relaxed, calm nature.

Last edited:
The phrasing I'd use would be something along the lines of "He had a soothing, tranquil voice. A calming voice." or something along those lines.

Language is meant to convey meaning, and in particular metaphorical language is used to convey feeling.

Describing something only needs to be dry and factual when the object in question is unknown to the reader or particularly complex; if you're describing some manner mechanism whose function is intrinsic to the plot, adding similes and metaphors might just confuse matters further. Voices, however, are the opposite: they're something so common and regular in our lives that you'll rarely have to aim for complete and utter clarity.

As such, I find that the best way to describe a voice is via similes; draw comparisons. A man with a deep and husky voice can be said to sound like 'gravel being crushed underfoot', or 'leaves on an autumn wind'; a good metaphor is about getting the reader to understand through other means. It doesn't have to be about the intrinsic qualities of the voice, either; you could talk about how it makes the protagonist feel (e.g. "Her tone made me feel as if I was giving away a secret") or employ hyperbole for effect (e.g. "If she spoke just a little louder, she could command the stars themselves to move").

The important part is to remember the absolute number one rule of prose: show, don't tell. You might think that this might be difficult in a text-based medium, but it simply means a reader should come to their own conclusions. If you say somebody's voice is like a knife being dragged across rock, one might reasonably assume that this person sounds very strident.

Maybe...

"The flowing lilt of his voice touched a chord deep inside me. It was smooth as melted chocolate, light like the breeze that tickles your ears as you stand in the gentle rain on a summer night. His voice lifted my soul to cloudy heights and brought thoughts of love and peace to mind. His voice was like nothing heard anywhere, ever. Nobody -- not animal, not nature, not man -- could reproduce the voice issuing from his lips."

How was that?

Whoops, sorry. I got a little carried away. My bad! Once I get started being creative when I only have a short passage to write, I light up. And he said a paragraph, so...

Reading back, I certainly got carried away! :rolleyes:

Back