The hound’s growls echoed around Abaddon’s cavern as a cyan glow invaded the red-orange glow of his lakes of fire. Abaddon tightened his hands behind his back as the putrid cyan grew. He turned toward his fire lakes to lose sight of it. Yet, no matter how much their fire and heat grew the cyan glow kept growing behind him. The growling became snarling when Abaddon heard Wormwood’s wings drag.

“Y-y-your brother, -p-prince,”

“Leave us, halfling.”
Abaddon enlarged himself at the grating command.

“Y-y-yes sire!” Wormwood squealed. The heavy flaps of his wings did not drown the hound’s snarls. Abaddon tilted his head towards the hound. It had its teeth bared and was posed to strike.

“It seems that your hound needs more training.” Abaddon turned to the grating voice and its putridly bright color.

“And what makes you an expert on hounds, brother?” Abaddon sneered at Belial. The burning sphere between Belial’s four horns brightened as Belial chuckled. The hound hunched lower and snapped at Belial as he came closer. Belial laughed, silencing the hound. Abaddon noticed a shiver go through the hound’s braced spine. Cyan flames dripped from Belial’s mouth as he laughed. “Ugh,” Abaddon backed away from the sparks of the cyan flames hitting the floor. The flames evaporated once they hit the black stone.

“It does not take an expert to see the fight burning in this one.” Belial’s ever-present smile widened as he approached the hound. Abaddon floated back to watch Belial. “Oh yes,” Belial said slowly as he circled the hound, like a starving scavenger. The hound followed, ensuring that its back was never towards Belial. “It would be possible to believe that this thing could burn off a wandering djinn’s arm.” Abaddon crossed two of his arms.

“And what do you mean by that?" Abaddon straightened himself as he spoke. “It did burn that fool’s arm off. What other reason could be more possible?”

“It is not another reason that is more possible to believe,” Belial said as he finished his circle around the hound. When he was done, he looked at Abaddon. “But your past actions.” Belial’s smirk made Abaddon’s flames grow.

“My past actions?” Abaddon growled. Belial nodded and he crossed his four arms in front of his chest.

“The car accident that you created during your time Above,” Belial shrugged and came towards Abaddon. Abaddon tensed and stood straighter. He had to enlarge himself to reach Belial’s natural height. “Has the council questioning your brilliant plan. Some are even willing to let you go and keep your delicious plan.” Belial purred.

“Some?” Abaddon’s hands tightened and the heat around them grew so heavy that the hound began to tremble. The two djinn brothers stood with their heads held high.

“Well,” Belial lit a small fire in one of his hands. It danced through his fingers as he talked. “Mammon was particularly interested in your seat, emptying.”

“That vulture is happy to consume any scrap of power he can,” Abaddon grumbled. “The only reason he has a seat on the council is because Hades gave up his.” Abaddon spat and the fire under him grew.

“He was more fun before he married.” Belial sighed, yet the flame increased its speed. “But, his marriage did not cause the drain of power from the Abyss,” Belial growled and crushed the dancing fire within his fist. The hound flinched and Abaddon rolled his head.

“My offense against our abyss rules was because the human offended the abyss contract first. She summoned me but refused to make a wish. I was just trying to ensure that she did.” Abaddon explained slowly.

“But,” Belial floated to Abaddon and towered over him. “She has not summoned you or any other Djinn. It was you,” Belial began poking Abaddon’s chest as his bright sickly cyan fire grew and his sphere burned. “who killed those humans against their time, it was you who has set this hunt against a demon that rivals those among our ranks.” Abaddon bristled at Belial’s words.

“Do not use that word in my domain.” Abaddon sneered as he floated up to match Belial’s height.

“Then stop jeopardizing our family’s seats, little brother.” Belial leaned in close. “And while your plan may be brilliant enough to be your saving grace,” Belial’s flames began expanding and crackling. There was a small soft whimper. Abaddon glanced at the sound. The crackling cyan fire threatened to drive the hound over the edge and into the orange-red fire lakes. Tendrils of the fire crawled against the black stone, digging into the stone, like talons digging into the dirt. The hound snapped at a tendril that came close to it. The tendril made a sickening grin before flashing back. Abaddon focused his gaze on Belial and kept his head high. “I will not save you if your plan fails.”

“The only reason my plan is lacking in results is because of the incompetent hunting of the wandering djinn,” Abaddon argued. “If Tamil was smart enough, then the hound would not have had to been so forceful,” Abaddon said and kept still as Belial observed him.

“Then, you did not hurt or break your deal with Tamil?” Belial’s eyes narrowed. Abaddon straightened.

“I only helped Tamil learn from his mistakes. No deal was broken.” Abaddon was still as Belial glared. Even the hound’s scrambling to stay on the cliff and away from the expanding cyan fire, did not distract Abaddon or Belial. Then Belial began laughing. His cyan fire receded but it crackled sharply as it went.

“The idiotic demon does need a more physical approach to learn things.” Belial laughed as he drifted back from Avaddon. Abaddon’s fire twitched and his fire lakes flared. “The council knows that, so you are safe for now.” Belial continued. “And he has been to my pits and received the utmost care as per your request. I must say it was some of my most creative work.” Avaddon noticed how Belial was moving towards the hound. The hound did too. It composed itself quickly and faced Belial growling.

“But what is more efficient in a hunt than a stone hook or weapon?” Avaddon asked, following Belial.

“It is not about efficiency brother,” Belial said slowly as his unending grin grew. With a crack and a flash, Belial was in front of the hound. It yelped and jumped, right into one of Belial’s hands. It fought and squirmed against Belial’s grip on its collar. “It’s about creativity and show of power,” Belial said simply. He waved one of his hands near the collar and the cloak on the hound’s chain disappeared, making it visible. The hound spotted the chain and fought more, its inner flame flaring wildly.

“Now, now, little dog,”
Belial chided at the hound. “How can I examine your chain if you keep moving?” One of the cyan tendrils zapped and scratched the hound. With a strangled yelp, the hound stopped moving and hung like a corpse. A corpse with burning eyes and a wild flame heart. Abaddon smirked as he saw that hound’s inner flame try to reach and burn Belial from inside its ribcage. Even his brother could not get rid of the hound’s fight. Belial focused on the chain.

“Hmm, I will take this.” Belial hummed.

“No.” Abaddon appeared next to Belial. Belial looked to Abaddon with narrowed eyes. “That chain allows me to have it at my beck and call. With that chain, I know where it is. I will not let it run free or give it any chance to disobey,” before Abaddon could finish there was a sharp crack. Abaddon turned to see the hound drop to the ground, its flame flaring. The broken chain rested in Belial’s hand. “You,” The orange-red glow of the fire lakes flared as Abaddon turned to Belial.

“Brother,” Belial laughed and held up his hands. “It is still entrapped to you and your orders. This,” Belial held up the chain. “Just ensures that it stays by you. Don’t be so uptight.”

“I like ensuring control.” Abaddon stood up straighter. “And you did not ask for that. Don’t be so rude.”

“You say rude, I say commanding.” Belial shrugged. “But with this chain,” He ran the chain through his hands. “And what I will create for Tamil’s missing limb, it will appear that Tamil has control over the hound. Pleasing Tamil and the council. Your welcome.” He winked at Abaddon.

“Leave,” Abaddon growled. Belial let out another laugh.

“Way to be rude, I mean commanding, brother.” Belial mocked. He disappeared and reappeared behind Abaddon. Abaddon turned to see Belial’s back. Belial held up the chain. “And this is compensation for your requests.” Abaddon bristled.

“Here is your compensation.” Abaddon spat as he threw a fireball at Belial. With a laugh, Belial disappeared in a blink. Leaving behind a cracking light that consumed the fireball with a sickening grin. Abaddon roared and his flames flared as Belial’s laugh echoed around the cavern.

Two days had gone by since Dezire confronted the human female. Little to none was spoken between them since then - probably because of how she acted. She supposed it was understandable, but she couldn’t bring herself to care at the moment.

Even so, it was strange since she had brought the kid with her all this way from the place she had been staying at before. Leaving her bed and blanket behind was the hardest thing she had done since interfering with Abaddon and his intentions, and she wished she could go back to get them…. But now she had the problem with her leg and the girl. Something in her wanted her to stay and watch her, but she knew the girl was a liability. Watching over someone else was a hindrance to survival. How could you fight efficiently when you had a kid to protect?

A sharp pain disrupted Dezire’s thoughts, forcing a sharp hiss out her mouth. Looking down at the leg with the embedded piece of glass made her wince a little - it was looking worse for wear. Moving and running with an injured leg isn’t good for anybody, even for a wandering djinn like her. But how was she to get it out? Her mouth wasn’t going to grab it well enough, and shifting would just make it worse. But she needed to go get the girl some food…. Humans ate food often, and the little human would probably need to eat soon. Forcing herself to remember that was a task that she didn’t know she would be undertaking. Turning her head, Dezire looked to the little girl in her jacket, staring off towards the city’s buildings.

After a few seconds, Dezire had the most crazy thought - maybe she could ask the child to help get rid of the glass. She had what was needed - fingers and a tight grip. After that, she could actually recover properly. But then she shook her head. No way. She was a powerful djinn. She has suffered through more than this before. She didn’t need any help from anybody. And yet, the surge of pain from her leg suggested otherwise. Hissing with an open mouth, Dezire quickly contemplated relenting and asking for help after all. If that bumbling fool Tamil came around somehow, she’d be in trouble. And when Tamil came around, that damn Hellhound was never too far behind.

Dezire sighed with irritation. Perhaps it was time to set her pride aside for the tie being and ask for help. The sooner she was healed, the better she was in a fight. With a small grumble, Dezire got up on her paws and slowly went over to the small human.

“Hey,” Dezire said with a small huff. The girl gasped at the voice and got on her feet, defensive and wary at the same time.

“W-what do you want? Go away,” the girl told the demon. Dezire hissed softly, expecting the kind of reaction she was receiving.

“No need to be so defensive. I just wanted to ask you a question.”

“No! No more questions! You already said that I was a human, why do you want to ask me more? Do you get some sick pleasure out of this?” the girl spat back.

Dezire flicked her tail again. Something told her that this wouldn’t be as simple as asking a question anymore.

“Look, I’m not trying to ask anything personal, I just want you to do something for me,” Dezire said.

The girl narrowed her eyes as she scrutinized the demon before her. “What do you want from me? What could I possibly give you?”

“It’s simple really. I just need your hands,” Dezire said as she sat down on her haunches.

“My hands?!” the human wailed.

“Hey! What is the matter with you?” Dezire asked with a puzzled craning of her neck. Why was the girl screaming now?

“You want my hands? No, you can’t have them! What the hell do you want me for?! How are you just going to ask me for my hands, as if I’m not going to want or need them?” the human shouted. Dezire was admittedly confused at the response.

“Are you going to kill me?!” the girl shrieked. Dezire was taken aback at this point. What the hell was she talking about? For a moment Dezire thought about killing the girl - was all this trouble really worth the effort and irritation she was dealing with now? Ugh, no, there were rules to follow, even as a wandering demon.

“Can you stop it? Stop it! I’m not going to…. Look, all this screaming is irritating me. Just come here and-”

“No! Leave me alone! I want to go home!” the human girl screamed as she tried to run away. Oh please, Dezire thought in annoyance, not this. She didn’t feel like chasing anybody today. With a grunt, Dezire got on her paws and moved to block the girl’s way. The young girl whimpered and bent down to grab various items to throw at the beast. With a hiss, Dezire narrowed her eyes as she dodged the thrown items. This was getting annoying. She moved closer towards the girl as the little human backed away, tongue flicking as she looked down at the girl.

“Little human, I don’t have the time nor patience for this kind of foolishness. I have to get this thing out of my leg and I can’t do it by myself. I can’t take this out. I…. Need you do it for me,” Dezire said with embarrassment as she gestured towards her injured leg. The little girl looked at the bleeding wound and winced a little. It was a small bit of silence before the girl looked up with a nervous look on her face.

“What… What do I get out of it?” the girl asked.

Dezire scoffed as she flicked her tail. “You get to live a little longer. If I can recall, I have been the only one getting sustenance for you.” Dezire said with a nod of her head.

“Well, I didn’t ask for you to hold me captive and give me food! You were the one who kidnapped me from the city and you were the one who decided to give me food! I was perfectly fine on my own,” the girl shouted as she folded her arms. Dezire hissed indignantly as she put a paw forward.

“Oh really? If I can recall, you were being chased by two grown men who looked like they wanted to do some very unsavory things to you. And you didn’t look like you were feeding properly. If anything, I helped you out!”

“You call that help? If I can recall, you saw me, tried to kill me for taking a blanket, trapped me in a cold metal room all night, then kidnapped me and took me all the way out here, exposed and vulnerable to the elements! You haven’t been making things better for me at all!” the girl shouted as she threw a piece of rock at the serpentine beast.

That made Dezire snarl with anger. How dare this human speak to her this way? The nerve, she ought to kill this girl where she stood. “You insolent little miscreant! You know what? You’re absolutely right! I’m totally in the wrong here! You have no reason to help me. And that means you have no reason to be here. You want to go back to that filthy city filled with human evil? Fine then! Go on! One less thing to worry about. I never wanted to watch over you anyway,” Dezire said as she turned around to limp over to the corner from where she gotten up from.

“Good! My life was fine before you showed up! Good riddance!” the girl shouted back before she stormed off.

Her rattled tail shook vigorously as she watched the girl walk off into the open space. Fuck that little human. She didn’t know why she asked in the first place. Didn’t even know why she grabbed the girl in the first place. Didn’t know why she was out here on the human plane, instead of being back Under, where she could be warm and in her element all she liked. Instead, she was out here, injured, alone, and cold. Fucking cold.

“Fucking humans always got to bite the hand that feeds them,” Dezire hissed as she turned her head to tuck it closer to her body.

Back