I have some questions regarding roleplaying in general

Spd7693

I know I sound like a noob and maybe I am a noob, but until last year the only place I knew about, available for role-playing, was the website Chatango. Seriously! I have about 30 roleplays done there. A few lasted for months, even years. Of course, since everybody gradually started leaving that apparently sinking ship, I had to look for other places too. That's how I came across this here and... Basically feel lost.

Even though I have 5 years of experience and have created really good stories, I still feel like a laughing stock. Here is what I need guidance about:

1. Artwork has always been a problem. I create most of my modern characters in Sims, but that doesn't seem enough. (And Sims 4 broke my HDD last week.) I could ask for somebody to draw them for me, but it ain't cheap and I have a lot. (I don't mean modern only, I just like creating stories.) So most of the time I just describe them verbally. Is this acceptable? I'd like to have honest answers.
  2. Group RPs have always been a problem for me. I always prefer a one-on-one, because that way I at least always know when my turn is. If someone could teach me, I'd be grateful. Yeah. 5 years and still no group.
  3. So far I've felt... Let's say intimidated from roleplaying with men. I myself don't like playing female characters as the main characters, though I have done it. But I am a man and if there is going to be something happening between our characters, I'd like my partner to be a female. Just to feel things happening naturally. So is it OK that I try to filter my options? Disclaimer: That doesn't mean I strictly aim for romance, even if it's always an option and I never rule it out. And no, I am NOT USING ROLEPLAYING AS A DATING SOURCE! I'd be glad if I happen to find my partner in life by doing it, but this is not my goal.
  4. I still don't understand what themes are allowed and how the recruitment works. So far I've only seeked fellow partners out and sent an invitation, but I doubt this works here. It also does look unethic. Just like in Discord. However, that way I feel awkward since it seems like I either need to seek for attention or try to just make some... Unpleasant statements. So, can someone more experienced tell me what's right and what's wrong?
Finding partners is difficult to me now and I have a number of ideas. Especially my brand new character I'm desperately trying to find some artwork for. And of course, introduce him to the world of roleplaying.

I'm sorry to say it that way, but I really feel desperate. Finding partners, finding places, finding out what is OK and what not. And if I can't give those stories a roleplay, what should I do to dish them out? Not that anybody cares anyways...

I think there are other forums better suited for these questions! But we're already here and I'll do my best to answer them.

1. Pictures are just an aid, they are never compulsory or required unless the person who creates the RP makes it so. But seeing how you seem to prefer 1 on 1, I'd say communicate with your partner. I don't think anyone will give you a lot of trouble for not having a picture of preferring a written description. After all, it's usually what happens in novels and the like :3.

2. If an order is not established beforehand, it's usually polite to wait for everyone to post at least once before you post again. Unless it's a scene where a character is not present, and so you continue without waiting for that specific person. It depends on the RP tho and it's wise to ask the GM and the other players what they would prefer!.

3. Letting your partner's know what you are and aren't comfortable with, is always good. It's not a problem to have preferences in what you are going to be writing, since it's a hobby and you are meant to have fun with it!. Filtering your options is cool, many of us do it, regarding relationships or other topics, as long as it's always done politely and respectfully.

State your preferences without being rude or insulting the options you don't like.

4. For what's right and wrong we have the rules!, And to find RP partners you go to the bulletin board :3

I hope this helps you and perhaps others, but next time do go to the help desk instead of creative writing subforums.

I hope this helps you and perhaps others, but next time do go to the help desk instead of creative writing subforums.

I understood it eventually, but still I do noobish mistakes about what is what. In a different site posting a topic of such a matter in a forum of such a matter would have been OK, but I feel like questions should be kept separately from other stuff. I even thought this topic was disapproved.

I did post a thread in the Bulletin Board, however, I still think you may also find issues with the fact it may have not been in the most appropriate place possible. I stated all the same things there. All I want is that I don't feel awkward, do only acceptable things and so on.

Back