I Wanna be in the Cavalry

He smirked seeing his reaction to the alcohol. Never had a drink before? What a shame. Tobias didn't drink much until he joined the army. His small sip only gave him a taste. He wasn't an alcoholic by any means but he had built up his tolerance on the frontier.

He saw one of his troops speaking to Athos. It lessened his worry, maybe he would be getting along with the rest of the company. Feel some of the comradery. They would have many more opportunities to get to know each other.

--------------------------------

A few hours of drill had passed, and Tobias figured they should have a break. "Alright, that's enough for now." He looked to the north. He reached into his coat again, pulling out small brass binoculars. He looked through them, peeking at camp. He wanted to see if anyone else was eating. He put his binoculars away. "Looks like no one else is eating right now." He looked back to his soldiers. "Lets get some food in you, some of need some meat on your bones." He didn't want to eat if another officer had brought his unit to eat. He didn't want to have his new untrained recruits embarrass him. He had been waiting for a promotion for some time now, and didn't need them to ruin any chance he had.

"We'll eat and I'll show you how to clean your guns after. March, north." He would ride with them to the camp. When they arrived, there was a big cauldron with a stew simmering. He dismounted his horse. "Get your bowl from your kit. This fine young man will serve you. Sit down somewhere." There were many cut logs scattered around to sit on. He got a bowl of stew and sat down.

The drills were hard and long, finally relaxing as the end drew near. Phoebe happily walked with the other men back to camp, wasting no time to hurry into the line. She held tightly to her bowl, her stomach growling as she approached the pot. Once she was given the chance, she held out her bowl, watching anxiously as some of the stew was poured in.

Phoebe hastily walked towards one of the logs, sitting down with a quiet sigh of relief. She started to eat, the flavors weren't too fantastic, but at the moment, she didn't care. She ate as fast as her body would let her, the warmth relaxing her aching muscles.

(It's a little short, but I hope it'll do)

After years on the frontier, Tobias had gotten used to eating rations, carelessly thrown together by a camp cook. At least there's real meat. The best part about returning home was a home cooked meal.

He looked around, seeing his recruits eating their stew. He noted that Athos was eating alone. Perhaps he should join him. He kept eating until another officer called to him. "McDonough, have you seen this? The rebel's retreat at Phillipi." He stood up, taking his stew with him. "Only in passing."

Toby briefly read a newspaper held before him, before smiling wide. "Looks like those traitors can only stand tall when they shell us. When they have to face our army, they tuck their tail between their legs." It gave him hope that maybe this war will be over soon.

He went back to his seat, but he still wanted to speak to Athos. He had almost finished his meal at this point. He put his bowl on his seat and carried it over to him. He put it down next to him and didn't say a word. His seat being set upon the ground was enough of an introduction.

He sat down and finished the rest of his stew. He put it down on his lap. "Where did you learn to shoot like that? You don't come across as a Davy Crockett type to me." Tobias had learned to shoot exclusively in the army. He had no experience outside of his service. Although he was a pretty good shot, Athos was better. Even if Toby was hesitant to admit it.

She forced down the rest of her food, only looking up as Tobias ventured towards her. She averted his gaze, staring down at her empty bowl, her foot tapping anxiously. She gnawed on her bottom lip, only looking up as he spoke. How the hell was she supposed to explain this one? Her mother brings men over and she's in charge of protecting herself and her brother? Yeah that wasn't going to fly.

Phoebe gulped down a long breath before opening her mouth. "Lots of practice... I'm far better with a handgun, doesn't kickback as much... But I'll learn how to navigate this one," She spoke quickly, motioning towards the large rifle.

She pulled off her hat for a moment, combing through her messy hair, the slight breeze feeling amazing. Reluctantly, she pulled the hat back on, knowing it just wasn't going to be worth the risk. Granted, it would be hard to tell, but she was also embarrassed by her shitty haircut. She sniffed down a breath, glancing back up towards him. Phoebe opened her mouth to say something else, but ultimately closed it, looking back down at the ground.

He listened to him explain how he got his shooting skills. A handgun? That would certainly be useful. "Don't fret, you'll have plenty of time. At least it's not the big Springfields the infantry lugs around." He had thought of something else. "Too bad Texas turned their back on us. I would have loved to ride with the rangers again. Their walkers could kill a horse."

He saw him take off his hat and he wasn't sure why. Seeing his haircut underneath he understood why he put his hat back on so quickly. Toby had started to let his hair grow long, but with the summer heat coming he would be seeing the camp barber soon. His hair was long enough to poke out from under his hat. Stubble had taken a hold on his face.

He saw Athos look up at him, only to open his mouth and look away. Pale eyes looked down at him. "Yes?" If he had something to say, he should say it now while he had the chance. Was he afraid?

She bit down on her lip, her foot tapping anxiously for a moment or two before a quiet sigh left her mouth. Her eyes found his, a serious look pulling across her face. "I know I ain't in no place to be askin' for favors... But... I-If you see me get captured, or see that I am captured, god I hope it won't come to that, but if it does... All I ask is that you kill me before they do. O-Or have someone else do it-. T-That's all I ask. And maybe one of y'all can swing by my mother's house once I'm dead and gone... And just explain' it to 'er." She spoke hastily, her faked voice slipping for a moment or two as she discussed her mother.

But as quickly as it had slipped, it was back. Phoebe tore her eyes from his, staring back down at the ground. "I hope I'm not askin' for too much... I-I just want to make sure they don't get the chance to take me alive."

This wasn't the complete explanation of course. Hell, how could she even begin to describe her situation. If she was captured and discovered by the enemy... Let's just say Phoebe didn't want to think about that.

(sorry for late reply, thought I replied already :emoji_sweat_smile:)

What sort of favors was he asking for Her? It hadn't even been a full day. Asking not to shoot so much? A different menu? He was shocked at his actual equest. "No, absolutely not." He answered sternly. "What you're asking me to do is fraticide at best, and treason at worst." He was looking to get a promotion. If he was caught shooting one of his own soldiers he would be kicked out of the army and hauled to jail.

"I don't mean to tread on another man's set of ideals, but if for whatever reason you don't want to be taken alive you must take your own actions." He wouldn't tell him to shoot himself outright. He was unyielding, there would be no compromise on this issue with him. "It won't be seen as cowardice to be taken prisoner." Although Athos was looking at the ground, Tobias continued. "If you do get captured, they're Americans as you and I, not savages. They'll just lock you up and then trade you out for some of their own that we caught." The thought occurred to him that although they're Americans, they also see no problem with enslaving other Americans. He frowned. "If you're a white man that is.." He sounded discouraged. He sighed and quickly went back to lecturing him. "You have nothing to worry about anyhow. They have to catch you first. We won't leave you behind." Once he was trained on horseback, he could always flee from danger.

"Is there anything else?" He was ready to conclude this discussion. He looked around and saw the rest were finishing their meal. He would show them how to clean their guns after this. He was worrying about Athos. He needed a good shot like him, but he also needed a soldier that would stand his ground. Would he retreat at the first sign of danger to avoid any possibility of capture?

(No problem :) )

His words sunk into her chest. She bit down on her lip, worry gathering in her chest. Phoebe gulped down a long breath of air, her eyes glued to the ground. His comment about white men hit with a sense of irony. Sure she was white, but far from a man.

His words did little to reassure the fire of terror burning through her chest, but she forced herself to nod as if she understood. At his question, Phoebe looked up, her eyes finding his own for a moment or two. "No sir... That'll be all," She spoke in a softer tone, pushing herself to her feet.

She slung her gun back over her shoulder, trudging down towards the river. She dipped low, unscrewing her canteen. She discarded the alcoholic water, filling her canteen up with fresh creek water. Phoebe brought the canteen to her lips, taking a quick drink, a sigh of relief leaving her mouth. The water was cold and crisp, and yet tasted like the water back home.

(aH sorry past week or so has been crazy with the fourth, and family trips, but everything has chilled now, so I can finally get back into the swing of things.)

Back