Vitam et Mortem IC - Altsoba School of Sorcery

Professor Loray... Hayato is d-dead. We found him with his heart o-out and his head... in an alley..." he covered his mouth with his hand, feeling sick, very sick. Oh shit what was he supposed to do now?. Fuck he was dead... "oh.my god..." he whispered. Fuck...

Professor Loray peered down at the students, her mind momentarily taking through her memories to place her. They... weren't any of her students she decided. Losing interest for a moment, she almost turned back around before the students told her about the 'attack'. Normally she would have brushed it off as a joke, but she was well aware of the fear she commanded and what she would do to students that joked about such a thing.

Eyes widening a fraction, Professor Loray had the almost certainly traumatised male stay back near the buses, directing the lesser teachers to get him something to eat and maybe a blanket, before demanding that the girl, Mia as she claimed her name was, to lead her to the site of the attack.

Once there Loray would have considered signing this student up for a vision test had she not been preoccupied with the headless body. She recognised this student, even trough all the blood. Hayato, she believes his name was. The sight of his headless body was... gruesome, but she was no stranger to death or dismemberment. Dismissing Ms. Al-Hashim back towards the buses to inform the teachers that they must gather all students immediately, Loray crouched next to the body, running her fingers over the cut.

It had been a blade. A knife, most likely. Easier to conceal. Well kept too, as it had taken only a swing or two to fully remove the head. Who did it was pretty obvious, with the H and all. Either the Hunters were back, or someone has a bone to pick with Sorcerors and are operating under the same name. Either way, same effect at the end.

Drawing her wand just in case the killer was still around, Professor Loray withdraws a marble rune tablet from her enchanted bag. Quickly casting a carving spell, she hastily set to work. The rune would take a bit, but as long as she had enough time she could use it to replay a general image of what happened. They wouldn't get colour that wasn't pink, but they would get a picture of the murderer.

Ishade rested his back against a bus, just a random one, he was covering his mouth with his hands and had his eyes open, focused on a spot on tthe floor as he breathed way too quickly and way too hard. Hayato was dead, there was a killer around, anyone could die. He could have, Mia could have, Eva and her friends could die... oh godohgodojgodhohhhgooddd he was feeling dizzy.

Mia sprinted back to the buses, wanting to be as far away from the crime scene as she could manage. She never wanted to see anything like that ever again, but she had a feeling that it would come back to her in her dreams. After telling the other teachers Professor Loray's message, she went to where Ishade was.

She noticed his panicked breathing, and rested a hand lightly on his shoulder. "Here, come onto the bus," she said softly, trying to calm him down even though she was panicking a bit herself. "Did the teachers get you a drink, or some sort of food? Do you want me to get you some?"

Ishade shook his head several times "n-no I dont want... anything." He wasn't feeling well. He was feeling sick, remembering Hayato's wounds. He wobbled to the end of the bus, where there were some bushes and bent over, emptying the contents of his stomach. He hoped Mia hadnt followed him, because if she had she'd probably never talk to him again, ever. He grabbed a tissue from his pocket when he was done, his face way too pale to be healthy In any way.

Unfortunately for Ishade, Mia had gotten on after him. Her face crinkled up at the smell, but she made sure it was gone if Ishade looked at her. She sighed, catching the paleness on his face. "Take a seat," she said, taking out her wand. She opened up a window and then cast a spell to essentially throw the vomit out the window. She opened some more windows, saying, "you need to get some water in you, at least." She tucked her purse into her pocket, leaving her bag on the bus as she walked down to a nearby convenience store.

Nito had never had McDonalds before, but when it came to food, he normally needed high calorie meals to make up for the physical taxation he put on his body, and this establishment seemed to offer meals that met such requirements at a very cheap price. And there was a smell to the place that made his mouth water, just a little bit. "Ice cream sounds good. I'll also be getting myself one of these...Big Macs. They sound oddly appealing." He'd move to the booth first, removing his robe and folding it over the back of the unoccupied side opposite of the two.

"Do you want anything? It will be my treat, considering how many meals you've brought me. Once Eva had relayed the information, he'd move off to the counter, returning moments later with a tray of food. "I didn't know what to get you for a drink...so I got you water." There were McNuggets, a sundae, a large water, two Big Macs, and a large Cookies and Cream milkshake. The ice mage would slide in next to her, placing the food as a divider.

He was thankful for the the lack of people, even if they were just behind him. It was better this way...Nito much preferred being alone with her, or as close to it as possible. Her friends were nice at least, and seemed to give him distance when he felt he needed it. Most of the time without asking. Then again, most of Nito's communication was nonverbal. Stares and grimaces and uncomfortable twitches. But all that stopped with Eva. Eating with her had become almost as comfortable as eating alone.

"This is...a nice experience. Thank you, for convincing me to come on this trip."

Each detail of the murder was spelled out for Professor Loray: the initial stabbing, the quick and efficient removal of the head, then heart, and then the careful carving of the H. For whatever reason, the killer hesitated on that part, but it was hard to interpret the expression on her face to say for sure the reason for her reluctance. The killer stood at five foot three with long wavy locks; they would appear light in color, but that's the result of a very expensive and professionally done dye job.

She does not look like a killer with her heart shaped face, slightly rounded cheeks, and soft features. She certainly doesn't look capable of the things seen by Professor Loray. Pushing a knife into another person's body is no easy task. Severing the head, too, would take incredible strength. Not something the non-threatening looking girl could possibly do if she were human.

The other noteworthy thing about the kill was that the murderer didn't seem to get any enjoyment out of it; she did not savor any moment of the kill, there was no expression of joy. If anything, she looked bored; a woman doing a chore. Just a girl, taking out the trash.

Professor Hunt was the next to arrive on the scene. The students were being rounded up by professors and ushered back to the orniormabichi, there was no telling if the killer was still out and about. "We have to leave the body," the Headmistress said when the rune replay had been completed. "The police need to see it." Both the human police as well as the police of their own kind. A young boy with his entire life ahead of him, killed for being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

The large 'H' would haunt her memory for a long time. Could it be really possible that the hunters were back after so long?

--

The young sorceress was laughing, just a bit, when she realized that Nito had never been to a McDonald's before. "I think you'll like the Big Mac." She agreed. She tried to argue his offer to pay, but he wouldn't hear of it so instead she quietly gave him her order and then kept guard over their booth.

"Thank you, and water is perfect." she murmured when he returned, picking up the sundae. She tried to ignore the double meaning that had slipped into her words. Eva ate her ice cream first because, in her mind, cold nuggets were better than melted ice cream. She snorted, a little, nearly choking on her ice cream. She had to take a large gulp of water and wipe at her mouth with a napkin before replying, "You've been miserable most of the time." Her smile was warm, sweet. "But I'm still glad you came." Then she chided herself for the very, very low-key flirting and dropped her eyes to her ice cream.

The ice cream was finished and set aside, the nuggets in hand when a professor whirled into the McDonalds and caught sight of the students there--those who were already sitting, and Ana and Heinrich who had just arrived and were standing in line. She went to the latter, first, and murmured to them in a low voice. "It is time to go." Without staying to give an explanation she moved on to the other students in the building, the same urgent message.

Eva hurried to gather her bag, her coat, and her nuggets. Eyes wide she looked first toward Monique and then to Nito, not that either of them would know what had happened. Obviously something had happened but the professor was gone before anyone could even utter a 'why'.

---

Meghan laughed, a little. "I think science is an important part of understanding how magic works. For the longest time witches thought their magic was given to them by gods and goddesses and now, thousands of years later, we learn that it's... all..." She stopped, the pain in her head halting her steps and she reached for Vivian's arm, gripping it tight enough to cut off the circulation.

There was a boy... she recognized him. His eyes were wide... His head was disconnected from his body... She saw the large 'H' carved into his skin...

The vision was gone and Meghan was doubled over in pain. "We have to get back to the buses." She gasped, attempting to drag Vivian away.

---

Maya left immediately after finishing with the young witch. She hadn't enjoyed carving in that H, spending far too much time with the body was risky and she didn't want to be caught. However, the last kill hadn't left the message it was meant to: The Hunters were back.

Wiping her knife on a rag she tucked both into her pants and headed home. She needed to see Sameen.

When she arrived in the building, Maya let herself in. There was a woman sitting in a perfectly normal looking house but on her completely mundane kitchen table were an assortment of weapons. "Maya," Sameen greeted without turning to look at the girl. "How did it go?"

"I found one." Maya took a seat and examined the large axe in front of her. It had been freshly cleaned. "There were a lot, actually. All very young. Closer to Eric's age."

Sameen froze and Maya looked up at the woman. The two shared similar features; the same muddy green eyes, the same button nose. The only difference was Sameen's hair was darker where Maya had dyed hers blonde. "How many would you say?" She asked, staring her daughter down.

Maya shrugged, "Dozens."

Sameen chewed over this information for a moment and then nodded. "Perhaps the school is closer than we thought. Good work."

Hazel frowned a little at the boy leaning against the table, noticing where his eyes were going. Why is he looking at me like that? She wondered, getting up out of her seat and putting her book away. Well, it probably didn't mean anything anyway, right? She turned her attention back to Sophie and the new transfer student before speaking. "Hi Julian, I'm Hazel," she said, offering him a friendly smile. "You coming out with us?" She asked. The other boy gave her a slight nod, so she tugged on Sophie's and started to walk. "Hey, where did you transfer from?" She asked, turning to Julian as they walked. "I've never really heard of any other schools around here. Although I also haven't tried looking for any information either, so that could be why. Huh, didn't even know you could switch schools a month in. Kind of a weird time to transfer," she commented, keeping up her pace. I hope he gets the question I'm trying to ask him, she thought, moving forward. I really do wonder why he transferred here...

The sudden stop and grab from her roommate had surprised Vivian, Meghan looked suddenly pale and doubled over. Vivian would keep her standing as well as she could only to be suddenly dragged away by Meghan telling her that they needed to get back to the buses. She was confused by her roommates actions, asking her concerned questions getting little responses back. "Did you see something? Are you alright? Why are we heading back?" Not being able to control the situation had her on edge, eyes scanning everything as she was being pulled past. What could possibly cause this much worry in the girl? She was sure she would get the answers soon enough , and for the time being it was probably best to heed the Clairvoyants words.
-----------------
Heinrich's experience in the Fast Food restaurant was short lived, as soon as Anna started suggesting things for him to try they were interrupted by one of the Professors. They were telling them it was time to leave, not giving any reason as to why, however the Professors face was very foreboding. Heinrich would quickly head back with Anna to the buses, confused and concerned. He just wanted to know what was going on, but he would have to wait for what the professors had to say.

The pair were just getting to the front of the queue when the professor came in. Anna's stomach was still complaining, but the anxiety at the teacher's serious and warning tone forced her to forget it. She rushed out of the McDonalds, to where the buses were parked. Maybe the professor was just not too good with their body language. There might have just been a bad snow coming up, so they didn't want to be delayed. Though the wind sorceress wished that was the case, something told her it wasn't.

By the time they got to the buses, some other students had already gathered. Anna stood gingerly by the door of one of the buses, not sure if they were to get on or not. "What do you think's happened?" She whispered to Heinrich.

Mia came back a few minutes later, a a bottle of water and a fruit tub in a plastic bag. She walked past the other students, trying not to show to them that she'd seen the thing that had cut their day short first hand. She jumped onto the bus, the opened window having filtered out the worst part of the smell. She walked up to where Ishade was sitting, and perched on a seat nearby.

She sat the plastic bag on her lap, pulling out the things she'd bought. "Here," she said softly to the shaken up sorcerer. "At least drink a little." She offered the water bottle first.

"Oh, hi," he said, smiling. "I transferred from the Dóra Sorcery Academy of the UK. Came here because they decided that Altsoba had a better education system, given its reputation. I don't know why they decided to do that, though, the previous place was totally fine. And seriously, they picked the worst time to figure out that Altsoba was better. I mean really, who transfers schools at the end of September?" When he received a puzzled look from Hazel, he backtracked to find out what she knew about the school. "You know, the Dóra Sorcery Academy of the UK? Pretty famous place? The one up in northern Ireland?" When all he got was a few shakes of her head, he shrugged and continued with his story. "Well, that's where I came from, had a couple of buddies up there too. I'm here now though, I'm sure I'll find people eventually," Julian added, trying to direct the statement to the two of them specifically before changing the subject. "Hey do any of you guys have pets? Because I saw this weird thing running around the hallway earlier, and I'm not sure if that was a pet or something that just got loose in here. Are there even pets allowed here?"

Ishade was sitting on the window seat, at the front of the bus because closer to the teachers had to mean less questions and more silence. He was staring at the seat in front of him without saying anything, and his face was still pretty pale to say the least.
When Mia came back and talked to him, waking him from his staring competition with the back of the other seat, Ishade grabbed the bottle of water after daying a quick and quiet "thankyou" to Mia. He drank a bit of water, and it helped take the taste of vomit from his mouth a bit, as well as it helped his throat feel a bit better. However, he didn't really want anything else, not at the moment. So he turned his head towards the window and got lost in his thoughts again, hands perpetually fidgeting with each other or his sleeves.

Sophie, Hazel, and the new kid wandered outside. She'd heard of the school in the UK, vaguely, but didn't really know much about it. Altsoba was the top rated school, as far as she knew--except the school in Russia won the most events at dueling competitions--and that was a good enough reason for anyone to transfer schools.

The three made snowmen, animating them to have a snowball fight along side the sorcerers. They were headed inside to get a break from the school when the announcement came that ALL students were to meet in the dining hall.

Confused Sophie exchanged a look with first her roommate and then Julian. The three grade 9 students sat together, confused and speculating. All the school staff seemed so serious.

---

The kids were corralled fairly quickly. Meghan stood with Vivian and whispered to her roommate, "someone died." She didn't bother giving any more detail than that.

It was loud enough that standing nearby Eva, Nito, Monique, Max, and a few others overheard the whispered confession. Looking over her shoulder Eva would see that it was Meghan who had, with completely certainty, announced that someone had died. It wouldn't be long before that rumor passed through the upperclassmen that they were leaving Banff earlier because someone was dead. Once everyone had been boarded (many of the students trying to figure out who was missing) they were instructed to go straight into the dining hall when they arrived back to school.

Professor Loray stayed behind to deal with the police over the body while the headmistress went back to the school.

The upperclassmen were organized quickly into the dining hall, taking empty seats where they could find them. Eva stayed close to Nito, as long as he'd allow, as well as Monique and Max.

There was a lot of mumbling and whispers among the students until Headmistress Hunt stood at the front of the room. She waited until silence fell and then magnified her voice, "I know you all have questions. Trust that you will be given the necessary details. This afternoon while on our monthly excursion to Banff a student was found dead. The parents of Hayato Anzai have been notified. Please respect their privacy and do not contact them at this time. There are going to be rumors and news reports about the manner of death. It would appear that a hunter is behind this death, but there is nothing to show that it was not someone with knowledge of hunters who simply used their methods as a scapegoat."

She paused, took a breath, and continued. "We are undecided if we are going to continue trips to Banff going forward. Regardless, when outside castle walls please make sure you are not traveling alone. For those of you taking HOH classes will be canceled the upcoming week as Professor Bell has been asked to consult on whether or not this could really be a hunter. Do not worry about your safety, the school has incredible security and we will be upping security going forward. There will be a stricter curfew for students. Please get with your year head for any further questions." She stepped down and immediately the whispers started up again.

Eva blinked in surprise, was it possible that maybe hunters really were back?

Sophie looked at Hazel and squeezed her friends hand. She knew how freaked she had been about the article earlier and now with further confirmation, she worried about Hazel's emotional state.

As students returned to their dorms, letters were passed out on their floor. As many students had human parents and even human friends back home, the school had a P.O. Box that they used for students to send and receive letters. There was a letter for Mia as well as her suitemate, Maxine. Both were addressed with familiar handwriting.

---

Meghan did not say for the announcement, instead she went to straight to professor Grisham to relay how her vision had come and the clarity of it. She invited Vivian along, though, since she'd witnessed it.

---

It wasn't until the next morning at breakfast that Joseph, Anthony's roommate, approached Eva. She was in line to get food for herself and Nito's morning training. "Have you seen Anthony?" He asked.

She shook her head and he continued, "he got a letter last night and kind of freaked out. Figured he didn't go to the announcement yesterday because he was sick but when we got back he wasn't in the room. Didn't come back all night."

Eva blinked, looking over at Joseph who simply shrugged. "I thought maybe he was with you."

"No, I haven't seen him." She stepped out of line and Jospeh followed.

"Headed to the lake again?"

"Every morning," Eva sighed. He didn't say anything else and she hurried to the lake. She wasn't worried about Anthony, he was probably just with some other friends or some girl. Still, her mind was distracted when she arrived to the lake.

---

Sophie stared at her breakfast solemnly the next morning. Her and Hazel had spent most of the night discussing whether hunters could really be around.

Sophie felt the same anxiety and fear that Hazel had been dealing with the past few weeks.

Heinrich wasn't sure what was going on when Anna had asked him, merely responding with "Maybe a snow storm was blowing in?" But he couldn't be too sure. Once back to the bus where they huddled next to the other students he would try asking around to see if anyone knew. He got the same answers all around, no one really was sure what had happened, and were waiting for the Professor to inform them of what was going on.

Once back to the school the students were told to head into the dining hall, there they would be told of a students death. Heinrich would stay quite during this whole ordeal, only answering questions with short, direct answers. His mind going a thousand miles a minute on what to do next. Curfews were set at stricter times, and going off campus was going to get a lot more difficult. He would have to train still, and meditation was one of the only things he could do to help his mind focus. He wasn't sure how Anna was taking the whole situation, but he felt it best to not push the subject with her. He wanted to make sure she was ok, he wasn't sure how popular Hayato was, and how many people it would affect.

-------
Vivian was silent during the events in the town, staying close to her roommate. Once they were in the group with the other students, Meghan would reveal her visions, "Someone new has died." Not knowing the full details Vivian wouldn't make any comments about it, instead she would continue to comfort Meghan if she still was feeling terrible. Vivian hadn't said much during the bus ride back, only answering when talked to as to be polite. While only expressing a concerned look upon her face, in her mind however, would be an entirely different mass of entangled thoughts and emotions.

Once they arrived back at school they were instructed to go to the dining hall, but Meghan wouldn't want to head there. Instead she would tell Vivian that she was planning on talking to her Clairvoyant Professor about her vision. She would extend the invitation for Vivian to come along, and not having any desire to be sitting with the entire school base she would except the invitation. Wanting to hear more herself on what the Clairvoyant had seen.

Sinclair blinked as he took in the information. Hayato, the very same one he had seen earlier that night, was dead. Gulping, the young fauna made his way to his dorm. Ignoring those around him, Sinclair quickly went to his solitary dorm. Having come to the school later in the year than everybody else, he had been shoved into an empty room.

Closing the door, and locking it, Sinclair went over to the desk that was under the window. It lay on the opposite side of the room then the door. Next to the desk stood piles of books, their topics ranging from Fauna magic to potions to runes and all sorts of other things. In a small sack on the other side of the desk was a pile of rocks. Unprepared rune stones.

As Sinclair pulled out the desk's chair, Dot the ferret and Ceril climbed out from his cloak. Finding its way to the bed, Dot curled up on Sinclair's pillow. Ceril, on the other hand, stepped down onto the desk itself. Going to one corner, the little cat curled up and began to lick her paws.

Pulling out a book from the pile, Sinclair began to go through Nordic Runes. Finding them, he took out several rune stones and set himself to work. Cleaning the stones up, the young Rune-maker began to carve in the runes for 'serpent' and 'ice'. Over and over again, until he had five of them. Then, placing them on the ground, He activated the first one.

Immediately, the temperature in the room dropped by several degrees. Frost began to form around the rune. Building on top of itself, the layers of frost slowly turned into long scales of ice. The form grew to be about three inches in diameter and three feet in length. Its head was triangular, long fangs jutting out from its opened mouth. With a smile, and beads of sweat, Sinclair attempted to make the icy creature move. It did, but a soon as its mouth closed, the ice serpent fell apart. Shattering, hitting the ground, Sinclair fell to his knees.

Breathing heavily, his face flustered, his hair and shirt full of sweat, Sinclair smiled. Looking over at the five Ice Serpents, he smiled. Now he would have some defense against that hunter. As he thought of her, an image of a blonde woman showed itself in his mind's eye. The sight sent a shiver back down his spine. Returning to his desk, Sinclair began to work on Fire Serpents.

The only thing holding him back was power. How could he obtain more power. Could he do it with Runes? Potions? What other means are there?

A student had been killed. Hayato Anzai, a grade 11. Monique's hand instinctively sought Max's and she gave it a long, hard squeeze. She was shocked, but only momentarily. A quick pang of anxiety that faded into nothingness, dissociation a common and easy thing for her to do. She looked to Max and squeezed it harder. It would be more difficult for him to deal with and while others wouldn't be able to spot it, she could see him brimming with nerves and grief. He was thinking what she had been; it could have been any of them.

As soon as they were dismissed and everyone was getting up, Monique locked her tall uneasy boyfriend in a tight hug, but placed her chin on his chest so she was peering up into his eyes. She wasn't going to say 'it's okay', because in reality it wasn't. A student had been killed, one in their year and one that they knew, even if it wasn't very well. So they just stood in their somewhat-awkward yet comforting hug until Monique felt his heart calm down.

They spent the rest of the evening together after Monique made sure that Eva would be okay.

The next morning they were together again. Max seemed more quiet than usual, but Monique didn't push him to talk. She sat across from him, eating in a somber silence.

Though it had already been snowing for a while, a fresh layer had fallen overnight and Monique was keen on getting Max outside to enjoy it.

"Hurry up and finish," she shot him a somewhat forced smile, "let's go enjoy the snow."

Anna could hear the rumour going around the crowds outside the buses. "What! No way!" She hissed to the girl who'd told her. "There's no way someone's dead. That's ridiculous." But was it? Someone related to the school had already died that month. "Don't tell anyone else that," she scolded, like a disgruntled employer would scold someone spreading chainmail. She was hoping that her popularity would influence the spread. It didn't. She didn't want to believe that someone else had died. She'd assumed that the last death had bene solved, the killer locked away. She hadn't actually heard anyone say that, though.

The gossip continued on the bus. Despite her inside worry, she did her best to tell the other girls that that death wasn't the reason they were being sent home. She was proved wrong at the assembly, an audible gasp coming out of her at the announcement. No way. One death was bad enough, but two? In one month? Were they killed by the same person? Why was all of this happening?

She looked up at Heinrich when the assembly was over. "Please don't go to the forest any more, Heinrich," she said, voice just barely audible. "I know the headmistress said they were going to improve security, but it's not a good idea to take any sort of risk." Anna knew what she had to do, because if they could take down a student taller and stronger than her, than they could take her down, easy as pie. Safety in numbers. She would stick with the crowd.

The next morning, Anna was in the lunch hall with her cereal. She was already taking her new motto into effect, sitting with her friends. Still, she had been careful to keep an empty seat next to her, just in case Heinrich came around.

All Mia had wanted was to get to her dorm. Make a cup of hot cocoa, get under the covers, and fall asleep early. Let herself forget. When she and Ishade were taken off the bus, she knew that this wasn't what was going to happen. The questions shouldn't have been too difficult. They were all just about remembering, which Mia was pretty good at - look at her grades for reference. What made them difficult was the thing that she was having to remember. A bloody, brutalised dead body. She came out with tear stained cheeks, eyes rubbed red and a tissue up her sleeve, but she did her best to hide it from Ishade. She didn't know if they'd had a connection, but considering how bad he'd taken it, she guessed there was something.

When they were brought back to Altsoba, Mia went to the kitchen, made her cocoa and then headed to her dorm room. She kept her head down the whole time, not wanting anyone to see that she had cried. Her curly haired roommate was sitting on the settee, feet up on the chair and a letter grasped in her eager hands. "You got a letter," Maxine said, not looking up. "I put it in your room."
Mia's face brightened. "Great, thanks!" She said, trying and failing to muster up her usual cheeriness. She retreated to her room, head still down, just in case the water sorceress noticed her fake happiness.

She sat down at her desk, letting her messenger bag drop to the ground. She slipped the letter slowly out of it's envelope and into her hand, feeling her cheeks warm like they always did. She sighed as she read it, the bad thoughts of the day and of the previous few weeks melting away. The loss of communication, however brief, had worried Mia, more than she would have liked to admit. It was just a simple misunderstanding. Things were okay. She opened her desk drawer, pulling out a piece of light red lined paper, cherries drawn in the corners. She picked up a brown gel pen and went to write, but the words in her head disappeared. She sat there for minutes on end, but at the end all she had was three new bits of paper in her wastebasket. She sighed, sipping her drink that was quickly cooling. She could write it tomorrow, when she had her thoughts straight.

Mia had never been so thankful for censorship. In the morning, she saw a newspaper in so many peoples hands. But none of them were looking at her. She bought her own copy, and found that neither her or Ishade's names had been put in. She had solace in that, at least. She sat down in the lunch hall, reading over the rest of the newspaper and letting herself fall into one of the calmest states she'd been in in the past day. As long as nobody mentioned it, as long as nobody asked about it, as long as nobody found out that she was one of two witnesses, things would be alright. And as long as she didn't close her eyes for too long, she wouldn't have to see it.

Last edited:
Ishade went directly from the buss to his dorm after the questions. He had a knot in his stomach. And besides some warm tea with honey, like his brother used to make him when he was younger and got upset, he didn't have anything else before going to bed. He remembered when all he had to worry about were keeping his ex happy, or doing homework and passing his exams with good grades... or when he had to practise basic spells. He wished he could go back to that time, to his old school. These things never happened over there. No one was killed by any hunters back there, he could see his sister and his brother too, and his friends.

He tried to go to bed and sleep, but he wasn't successful. That horrendous image of hayato's mutilated body came back to his mind every time his eyes closed and he looked at the empty bed besides his. Everything was just how he'd left it that morning, Ishade hadn't touched anything. He sighed and sat up on his bed, standing and opening the window.
The sky was dark and a chilly wind came in, he could breathe better and the barn owl that he was used to seeing came by to check on him, or perhaps not. She was always around and they valued each other's company to a degree. But she was a friend, not a pet, each made their own life. Wild life, and school life.
Since he was unable to sleep, Ishade started growing some flowers in some pots at his room, with magic, with more difficulty than an earth mage would have, and he made a flower crown with cold colors that he left on Hayato's pillow before finally curling up on his bed and falling asleep.

The next morning he didn't go out for breakfast, or class. He stayed in bed, waking up and dozing off, sleeping the hours and grief away.

Nito would be at his normal spot by the lake's south shore, but for once, he wasn't waiting for her alone. Gregori was there, and from the look on both of their faces, whatever they were talking about wasn't a pleasant topic. The older earth mage looked to be on the verge of tears, face crimson and volatile. Nito on the other hand, while calm in appearance, was glaring daggers into his cousin, his lips pursed into hard, thin lines. They were speaking in hushed, whispered tones, but the emotions flowing between the two family members were anything but.

As Eva drew closer, she'd catch a few glimpses at their conversation, as the two seemed oblivious to her. "Can't you just understand its hard for me to deal with...?" Gregori would whisper, clutching at a strand of his own hair, hands shaking.

"No. And we will not speak of this further. Its done, and no longer our concern."

"Not our concern? What if someo-" The earth mage's head would snap to the side, hearing the girl's shoes crunch through the snow. The look in his eyes was full of frantic energy, like he wanted to say more, but instead he'd snap his mouth shut, grin his teeth, and walk off, brushing past her in a furtive, hasty, almost guilty manner.

Nito would watch his cousin go, a frown ruining his normally fair features. He said not a word to one he was normally so excited to see. Not at first anyway. He was trying to figure out if she'd overheard anything important. Gregori had been a fool to confront him about Antony in the open like this, and his displeasure was plain to see. A small part of him empathized with his cousin, and indeed, shared in the shame and sin of taking a life. But unlike Gregori, who had done the deep, Nito's hands were clean, and his heart was cold. He felt not a shred of remorse for what he had ordered. Especially now, if both Father Time and Lady Luck were willing, Eva would be his soon, and he hers. And if not...at least she was safe. Only good thing came from that walking sludge heap's death.

"...You're late."

Back