Vitam et Mortem IC - Arcadia University

BrookeDi

Benefactor
Arcadia University is a small, private university in Glenside, Pennsylvania, just on the outskirts of Philadelphia. It boasts about 4,000 students in Undergraduate (2,400) and Graduate (1,600) programs. The 76 acre campus features Grey Towers Castle, a National History Landmark that the University is incredibly proud of. Arcadia is ranked 42nd in the Regional Universities North category.

The school mascot is a Knight (Sir Castor) and their colors are scarlet and grey.

The school was originally founded in 1853 as an all girl's school called Beaver College. They began to allow the admission of men from 1872-1907 and limited it to women only again until 1972. Arcadia has moved from it's founding city of Beaver to Jenkintown and then Glenside when the college acquired the estate that now houses Arcadia University. The school operated both the Glenside and the Jenkintown campus until 1962 when it consolidated to just the Glenside campus. In 1973 Beaver College opened it's first Graduate programs and began admitting men again. In 2001 when the college reached University status, they officially changed their name to Arcadia University.

The University offers over 80 fields of undergraduate study (198, if you include magical majors) and the Graduate programs range from liberal arts to professional to doctoral level.

The Doctorate of Physical Therapy Program is ranked second in Pennsylvania and 20th in the Nation by U.S. News & World Report and provides opportunities for pro bono work all over the world.

Last edited:
Kennedy Alice Sparks

Kennedy arrived to campus in her black BMW coupe, pulling into a parking spot near her first class. She lived off campus in an apartment located in Chestnut Hill, wanting to be near magic when she wasn't at school. This meant that she had to get to school at a godforsaken hour in order to be on time for her 8am class, and it also meant she ended up spending a majority of the day on campus. Her schedule, though, was organized as such that all of her classes were in the morning/early afternoon so she could go home and rest and do homework and whatever else she wanted for the rest of the day. Except on the days she had magic courses in the evenings. Then, she'd either have to drive back up to campus or stay for the entire day.

It probably would be easier to live on campus, but she much preferred the separate space of an apartment. She needed a roommate, sure, but at least in an apartment they would have their own space whereas in a dorm? They'd simply share an entire room with the only privacy allowed in the bathroom. She'd stick to the frustrations of driving back and forth, valuing her privacy way more.

Once she got to class, she pulled out her laptop quickly pulling up the ad she had been working on earlier that morning.

Seeking Roommate

Must be:
female
Between the ages of 18-28
have a stable source of income
VeM Certified

Serious Inquiries Only.
Apartment is 3B/3B, 1,500 square foot
Rent will be approximately $1,882.50, split evenly. You will have available use of the guest bedroom and you're own bathroom.
Further details will be provided upon request.
She scanned over it, one last time, and then added her phone number and e-mail to the bottom. It was a pricey apartment, so she wasn't expecting many offers in the beginning, but surely there was someone who would be able to afford it at this private university. The VeM Certified request would ensure that she got a Vitam et Mortem member as a roommate, which also ensured she'd be getting a sorcerer as well. She didn't much like the idea of living with a mundane and having to do all her housework by hand when she could easily do it with magic.

Satisfied with the ad, Kennedy printed several copies in the student center and began posting them around campus. She'd also drop a few off at The Bar and some other shops in Occultatum in the hopes that she'd be able to pick up a roommate soon.

Last edited:
Margret Emildóttir

A light blue bike cruised leisurely down the road towards Arcadia, the owner not even holding onto the handles, just pedalling. The wind pushing it from behind gave it a little bit of a kick. Margret would have been on the pavement, but it was all covered in snow and there was no way she'd get through it. The sorceress was looking forward to summer. She could wear shorts, tank tops, her good pair of sunglasses. She could ride her bike all she wanted, wherever she wanted. Now, she was wearing a pair of thick black leggings, a plain grey t-shirt, and a massive jumper that hang on her loosely to keep the chill off her. Sure, it was 'practical', but it wasn't ideal. She felt like a sack of potatoes, and the big khaki backpack she had on her back didn't help anything.

She arrived at the university. She had a Potion Making lab at nine, so she had some time to burn. Grab a tea at the Starbucks at Easton Café, maybe study a little. Or, she could just play on her phone. Whatever she fancied once she got there. She dismounted her bike once she got on campus, pulling the lock out of her pocket and locking her baby up tight. If the girl went missing, Margret was screwed. Once she was sure she wasn't going to get robbed, Margret turned around and started to walk off in the direction of the Starbucks.

When she arrived, she saw a piece of paper pinned up by the door. Curious, she walked over, reading it over. A smile mused across her face. At that moment, she had a dingy little place in Occultatum Alley that she was sharing with a bit of a weirdo. She had a suspicious amount of potions and potion bottles in her room, and she wasn't majoring or minoring in potion making. The place was a bit weird overall. She was pretty sure that she'd be able to afford the rent. She was certainly VeM certified, she thought with a smirk. She pulled her phone out and took a picture of the poster, then heading inside to escape the cold.

She headed up to the counter and ordered a bacon, gouda, and egg breakfast sandwich and a black coffee, which she then drowned in milk and sugar. She sat at a seat near a window, and pulled her phone out. She sent two texts to the number that was on the poster.

Hey there! My name's Margret Emildóttir. I saw your ad on campus.

I didn't want to call in case you were busy. Could you call me when you're available?

She locked her phone and put it in her pocket. She didn't have any way to tell when she'd get the call back, so she decided to spend some time scrolling through her social networks on her laptop.

Last edited:
Kennedy Alice Sparks

The bubbly blonde was in class when her phone buzzed on the table next to her. She tapped the screen open and read through the message, snaking the phone beneath the desk so she could quickly reply:

I'm in class right now, but a few things before I do call you when I get out. I'll preface this by saying, I don't mean to be rude, but I've already had a few interested with some bizarre requests.

Her next reply was much longer:

I am looking for one roommate only, no you cannot bring your mother/brother/uncle/cousin/lover, etc.
Price is non-negotiable and includes utilities. But rent could go down if I decide to take on another roommate.
VeM certification is non-negotiable, if you're unsure what that means, you probably aren't.
Can discuss the option of pets.

Margret Emildóttir

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, and Margret pulled it out from her pocket. She was expecting an Instagram notification, but a smile creased her face as she saw the first message. While she was reading it, the second one came through. She sipped her coffee as she composed her response.

I’m VeM certified. And I’ve not got any pets, so that’s no problem for me.

She almost asked a question, but decided to save it. The girl was in class, she didn’t want to disturb her anymore than she already had.

Expecting that that would be the end until the other student got out of class, she put her phone back in her pocket and went back to her laptop.

Kennedy Alice Sparks

Kennedy would send one final text before actually paying attention in class:

Awesome. Sounds worth meeting. I will be at the library Starbucks around noon. Would you like to meet up?

And she attached one of the many selfie's she had in her phone's camera so that Margaret would know who to look for. She'd take a second to admire the photo before tucking away her phone and resuming her note taking...

Continued here.

Back