Elin Virier
Shiori Lessa

DIADEM DIVE

The Matriarch of the noble House Jarla seeks an ancient diadem, located in the
Batzig Valley caves. This Diadem is said to paint the wearer in a shimmering
golden light. The caves may be guarded by beasts or bandits. Report

to House Jarla in Calary for details.
⦖~~~~~~~~----------------------♛----------------------~~~~~~~~⦕

"So, you two little young'uns are going," Tyner commented, sipping his tea. "Very well. It's high time you learned how to be a true Nomad. Cato is a fool, but he's a good fighter, so keep a close eye on your maps." he joked, winking. However, his smiling face soon melted into a stern gaze, as he looked Cato directly in the eyes. "Bring them back safely, son."

"House Jarla is in the noble district, one of the taller houses. You'll know it when you see it. Good travels, Nomads."

Shiori stood in front of the Jarla mansion, and she felt it looming over her like a menacing monster. She looked to her left, where Cato stood confidently, with Elin by his side shaking with excitement. Gripping Veda, Shiori swallowed her nervousness. This was her first serious job, she needed to act like a professional. Muttering some frantic incantations, she suddenly changed her casual blue robe to a regal purple one with gold embroidery. Her unkempt hair smoothed itself out, and she looked a bit more put together. Breathlessly, she turned to face directly at Cato. "So, you'll do the talking? We should get going." Shiori said a bit awkwardly, motioning toward the large building, her book still clutched in her hands.

Last edited:
Cato was staring up at the Jarla mansion, a look of seriousness passing on his face as he took in the tall walls ans the grand architecture. A noble's mansion. He took out the job listing from his coat and reread it for the nth time. The Bartender said the diadem was a magical item. Cato knew he must not screw this mission up. He hoped against all hopes that his idea would work, although he had never done it before. But he would rather kill himself than hand in a perfectly good magical item to a noble family.

Coin is coin. he thought, remembering what the Bartender had said. Yeah, right.

That was around the time when he realized Shiori was talking to him. He had been so focused on his thoughts that he had forgotten that the two kids are with him this time. They are still so young, uneasy, their eyes asking for a little bit of guidance from older nomad like himself. Shaking off his dark thoughts, he grinned a big, confident grin. Something to reassure them he got things under control. The actual mission hasn't started yet, after all.

"Yeah, I'll do the talking! I'm good at that." he replied as he walked towards the gate, where a guard is standing and staring at them suspiciously. He motioned with his hand for the two shrimps to hurry up, before staring back at the guard and brandished the job listing notice on his face. "Hello, sir. We're from the Nomad's Respite: Calary Chapter. Official business. We came to report to the Matriarch. I believe we are expected."

The guard stared at the job listing for a moment, before nodding, although his look of suspicion did not in the slightest disappear. If anything. it got another emotion mixed up in it: disgust in realizing the people in front of him are mages, cursed by magic. Cato's carefree expression wavered, it was one of the things he hated about non-magic folk, but his smile remained intact as the guard opened the gate and let them in. As they walked inside, Cato, shrugged and regarded Elin and Shiori. "Well, that went smoothly."

Last edited:
House Jarla was perhaps even more beautiful on the inside than out, which was no easy task. The wood was masterfully carved, with marble and other valuable building materials complimenting it at every turn. Decadent artifacts and treasures screamed wealth as the trio tramped down the halls. Eventually, they were led to a large study. Books lined the room, and a massive arched window framed a middle-aged woman. Her features were sharp and cross, and her appearance indicated hours of preparation. She looked at them and nodded, no expression on her face.

"Ah, the Nomads. Good," she closed a book she had been holding, and eyed Elin and Shiori. "Well, one Nomad. Tell me, sir: Am I so disposable that you feel the need to allow children to accompany you?" she raised an eyebrow.

Cato didn't hesitate at all to speak honestly. He still had his friendly expression on, but his words were marked with a hint of hostility that it would make a person feel uncertain if the words were indeed coming from him.

"Indeed you are, malady. I could easily get another job." he shrugged. "I must correct you, however, since these children are nomads as well. They're plenty capable, and I bet they can kill someone like you in less than a minute if they tried. Please stop shaming them for their age. Mages, you know, we more often than not start our careers young, whether we like it or not." he leaned and took her hand, kissing it gentlemanly. "Please don't be offended by my words, malady. I was hired to find the diadem, not to kiss your majestic bottom. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd rather we find the details of the mission now and continue on our way."

As soon as he said that, he sighed. Oh no... he lost his temper. And here he was, supposed to be the model example for the two shrimps behind him. He'll apologize to them later.

Shiori tensed, both at the woman's' comment on her and Elin's age and Cato's remark. Her face flushed, and she gripped her book her knuckles were white. Looking desperately at Cato or Elin to lighten the mood.

Elin felt excitement shivering through his body, but he forced his hands to stay loose at his side. He was on a mission! His first real mission, and he was on it with Shiori and Cato! What a stroke of luck he had had. His life had changed so much over the last week. This time only a few days ago he would have been running errands for the cook and now he was walking through the beautiful House Jarla. Terrified of touching anything in case he broke it-figuring anything jere would be worth more than his life was-he tried to keep his gaze professional and not stare at every jewel encrusted piece of furniture or arching ceiling or old book.
He still shot a smile at Shi when the lady wasn’t looking. He had to do a double take though-when had her robe turned purple?

The lady herself was as majestic as the house. Elin had traveled before-he had to have to get here-but the way a streetrat traveled meant the sights he saw were more farmhouse and alleys than this opulent display of wealth. If he ever saw someone as dressed up as this lady it was from a distance in a carriage and they doffed their hats and looked down as soon they caught a glimpse.

He was finally in the presence of a noble lady! Not only that but she needed their help! He was important, a guest in her house. Even if the Nomads weren’t exactly rich or famous or noble, they were certainly important to her right now.

When she finally stopped and addressed them though, he was glad they were letting Cato do all the talking. As much as it deflated him to not be called a Nomad, Elin understood. She needed ths diadem and Cato turning up with two younger members could make her a little dubious. She was just striking out cause she was worried, he was sure of it. It still rankled a little. He was 15 after all, not 4.

He tried to look as mature as possible while Cato explained their presence. It wasn’t too hard. He'd had a long period where he hadn’t been able to trust anyone or let his guard down for longer than a meal and living like that gave you a certain look. He knew he seened more of a child to the Nomads because he was unused to how they lived. He was unsed to being cared about, and provided for, and there were so many things he still had to learn, things that neither his family, nor the streets had taught him. But this situation here and now was one that the streets had thoroughly prepared him for. Nobles didn’t like children. Nobles tend to lash out of whatever is on hand. Besides, they could be useful! They had to be, or Cato wouldn't have brought them along. Right? A seed of doubt he'd thought he'd buried tried to grow but Elin blustered, "Yeah, what if your diadem is in a tiny hole and only Shi could fit? I promise you'll be glad we came along, my lady." His statement had turned reassuring towards the tail end when he realised there was in fact sound issuing from his mouth. He kept his face neutral though. No need to let on that he was embarrassed. His walls had never been very high but he pulled them up just a little now that he had left the Respite.

Shiori's face turned even a deeper shade of red as she attempted to hold in a giggle at Elin's joke, and from her embarrassment. Trying to compose herself, she finally decided to speak up. "I do understand you being suspicious of our ages, however, I think the fact that we were able to join a guild and get this job speaks for itself" she said, being a bit more confident than usual with her strong companions "So, could you please give us the information needed for our quest?"

Lady Jarla blinked, her face reddening in rage. She collected herself in a curt scoff, and smiled cheerily.

"How wonderfully poetic of you. Keep talking and I can have your inn burnt down. However, you're quite right. There's no need for such formalities. You'll be retrieving what I ask, and I'll be paying you. Let's not continue past that." With that, she placed her book back on the shelf, and directed the Nomad's attention to a map of the land outside of Calary.

"A dozen miles east of the city gates, there's a mountain with strips of red inside its rocks. Where the strips are brightest, there is a small entrance to a cave known as Olo's Hideaway. It is said to run quite deep. I have it on good authority that the diadem I seek is at the deepest cavern. I want you to return it to me. Here," she marked the location with an 'X' and handed the map to Cato.

"Now, you needn't worry about handling such a thing. I'm sure you're aware of what else I am handing you, but might as well educate the children, hmm?" she smirked, and revealed what look like a decorative glass orb. Presenting it to Shiori and Elin, she smiled coldly. "Children, this is a Sealant. A marvel of Majryan engineering, honestly. These devices trap magical objects inside them so they do not come into contact with human skin. When you approach an artifact, simply place it in the sealant, and your storage needs are met."

Shoiri listened intently to the woman's directions, peeking at her book to mark the location there. She felt disdain dripping from the woman's voice as she dis cribbed the sealant. Veda filled her in on more uses, but the woman didn't know that. Nodding, Shiori curtsied, and said politely as possible. "Thank you. We will come back with the diadem, I assure you. Also, forgive our rash words earlier, we mean no disrespect." Looking to Cato, trying to send him a mental message to apologize as well, she stood up and backed to the exit of the room where she waited patiently for the others.

But Cato wasn't really paying attention. He stared at the orb with an uneasiness in his gaze. This material... It felt awfully familiar against his fingers. He held the Sealant carefully, as if it might explode, and gave it to Shiori with a smile that was supposed to be reassuring. "Shiori, can you keep this safe somehow?" he asked. And keep it the hell away from me. Perhaps it was mistake on his part to take on this mission. But Shiori and Elin is depending on him, he simply cannot back out now. Even if the situation stirs bad memories. Memories he had long chosen to forget. He simply nodded at the Matriarch before following Shiori to the exit, waiting for Elin to hurry up and come along. He studied the map, turning it over. "So... looks it'll be quite a journey. Are you ready?" he asked the kids, before murmuring under his breath. "This job better be worth it."

"Well, if you like I could... Use my portal." Shiori said uneasily. "I'm not that good with it, but I can get us close." Shiori fiddled with the sealant and her book, thumbing through the latter.

A slight tinge of fear wormed through Elin's body as Shiori responded to the lady. The air in the room grew immediately tense, even more than it had been before. Elin cringed away from it internally but held his ground. He did keep his mouth shut though. He was simply standing now, and seeing as a scrawny boy probably wasn't the most intimidating thing in the world he probably wasn't doing much to help them. But he wasn't making her hate them any more than she already did and that was a positive.

He focused on what the lady had to say about the sealant. Sometimes it could take Elin a whiel to remember new facts when they were explained to him and he really didn't want to have to get the others to repeat him the information, so he increased his focus and attention on the meaning to make sure he understood what was happening, trying to fix the location of the cave in his mind. Red rocks. Deepest cave. Ok. It was easy to forget sometimes that magical objects were not to be touched. A flash of memory reminded him of how dangerous it could be to forget these things though. The day he'd transported one of them had been the day his life had gotten significantly shorter. He felt some kind of emotion stirring at the knowledge that his fate could so easily have been changed if the people he'd run an errand for that day had simply invested in one of these sealants, but he brushed it away, his increased focus meaning he barely felt the ripple of emotion.

However, the brief shiver of fear he'd had at her mentioning burning down the Respite returned as they turned away and he let his focus return to normal. His instincts told him it was unlikely she would attack them but he hated to turn his back on someone who had just threatened to burn down his home. It was difficult to imagine anyone being able to burn the place down considering the people who inhabited it, but the thought of losing all those dear to him, all the friends he'd made, and that safe space he'd finally found, was terrifying, even if had just been a passing comment. Once they made it outside and onto the road, he asked Cato, "She wouldn't really burn down the Respite would she? We could stop her if she tried to, right?" He knew the answer he was hoping for, but a little reassurance from Cato would never go amiss.

He itched to leave and was relieved when Shiori mentioned using her portal. Anything to be away from this place and start their adventure. The opulence and the lady made him uncomfortable and he was more than ready to get on the road. His feet were ready to start running, now that they were outside and on their way. His magic pooled in his muscles with his adrenaline, ready to shoot through and help him fight or run. And now he might get to go back into Shiori's portal world! What an amazing adventure this had already been! He was halfway to being a storybook hero. "That's amazing, Shi! Let's do that!" He'd had his fair share of walking in the past, earning his keep in a different farm or town or finding a nice bush to sleep in if there wasn't anyone near. It wasn't his favourite thing to do, so travelling by portal sounded far more desirable.

As they exited the building, Cato simply shrugged and made a weak grin at Elin's concern about the Matriarch's threat. "Nah. How many people do you think mages like Tyvin and Amorra piss off on a daily basis? People don't like mages, so why are we still kept around loitering the city? It's simple, really. They need us." he made a pause, letting it sink in. "They need the 'filthy' mages to do the dirty, risky jobs. They don't have much of a choice on the matter. I've been in this trade long enough to know that those threats are horse crap, and even if they tried, with all the amazing people in the respite, we can easily stop it. Or if we can't, we can easily rebuild it, stronger than ever before." he said nonchalantly. "You see, I say if we tried, we can easily take over the city, and that's another reason people do not mess with mages: we're stronger than them. If a conflict ensues between us and non-magic folk, I say they're on the losing side."

He turned then to Shiori. "So... portal it is then? If we use the portal, we can save up our energy for battle." he stretched and gave Shiori the map. "This job may be quite dangerous, since it may be guarded by things unknown. Are you two ready?" he asked as he stared at the young faces before him, seeing both apprehension and determination to prove themselves worthy. He smiled. "I will try my best to protect you and keep things family friendly, but a piece of advice: consider any scars or injuries you may get as a sort of medal in your honor." He raised his hand and pushed his sleeves back, showing them a deep scars on his forearm, like claws. "This is one I got when I was around your age. On a job I did with my father. It hurt like a bitch at that time, but it was an experience I learned a lot from. So consider this trip a lesson." He said, as he made a nervous laugh. "Though, I really would rather both of you to come back unharmed."

Shiori nodded, though looking around at passersby's, some who were already staring, she felt a bit nervous. "Let's find a discreet area first. We don't want to start a panic by opening a pocket dimension right in the middle of the street." She looked at the map, then opened her book to a page detailing the entire land of Marjrya. Then, zooming in with her fingers, an area similar to the one on the map showed up, but with greater detail. Referencing the map, she drew a marker displaying where the 'X' was on the original. She whispered a small incantation, and after a few seconds a belt appeared on her waist, along with some small daggers and some bags of what looked like herbs, and Shiori slipped the rolled up map in her waist. Turning to her teammates she sai "So, what are we waiting for?"

Elin drank in Cato's words. Could that ever happen? If anyone attacked the mages in the Respite, would they ever fight back? What would happen if the mages decided that they'd had enough, if the non-magic folk forced them to defend themselves on a new level? Elin had thought about a single fight between a mage and a regular guard or someone similar before, but never had he entertained the thought of the entire magic community at war with the non. How violent and dangerous the images chasing each other through his head were. How very sad. And to what end?

Elin tore his mind away from the thoughts. But the next piece of advice Cato offered was just as shocking. He seemed to think it likely that they were going to be injured. It was only slightly reassuring when he said he would try to keep them safe. Had anyone but Cato said it, he would have been terrified. Instead, he just felt a hard ball of nerves crowding his stomach.

He glanced over at Shi and felt the bow on his back. He gathered some strength in his fingertips and let it spread it's warmth thriugh his body. It was ok to be nervous. Maybe one day when he was like Cato, he wouldn't have to fight those nerves in his stomach, but right now, he was ok with them being there. They were just reminding him there was something to be careful about. And so what if he got a few scars or broke a bone? As long as Shiori was safe and they all came home alive with that diadem, it didn't even matter.

Nodding more to himself than anyone else, Elin waited for Shi's portal to wink into existence, stepped in and right out into the wilderness on the other side.

Taking them to a reclusive area, Shiori nervously muttered the incantation to open the portal. It opened to the same pink field of flowers, and the trio stepped through. Now came the hard part. Focusing, she imagined the area that was marked on her map. Beads of sweat appeared on her forehead from the strain that it was taking, but after around thirty seconds, a shimmery blue portal appeared, with a sparse forest along the backdrop of a mountain made of grey stone with strips of red granite. "I hope that does it" Shiori sighed. It took a lot of concentration to open that portal, but it looked right. She stepped on through and becomes the others to come.

Back