[IC] Nomadium - The Nomad's Respite

It was a few hours since Ral had first made it to the borders of Calary, the environment was awfully similar to where he had grown up as a child. The hustle, the crowd, the occasional artisan trying to make a coin off of their artistic splash, they'd all contributed to some sort of... return. A return to a time in memory where the path of life made sense, and where the journey through that path was dotted with the love of family and all sorts of friends. A time before the wandering, the contracting, the life which Ral had considered normal ever since he changed. He missed those times and carried them on his back, but nothing could be done about it now, and it certainly wouldn't get in the way of him reaching The Respite.

His cloak acted as his shield, covering his face, his being, gauging his focus and protecting him from the eyes of the city. A tip from another stranger was his map towards his destination, a map which only the mages knew about. Hence only mages in The Respite, a comforting fact. Eventually he found a breach in the barrier of market stalls and supply carts, and made it into the winding alleyway. About a few dozen steps, a turn or two in between, and he was met by The Respite itself. A moment was needed to take in the few details of the building he had to go on, the sign and the chimney smoke. After the brief suspension, he recollected his bearings and creaked open the tavern's door. Stepping inside, he lowered his hood from his face and loosened his cloak, revealing his gear and himself to the tavern.

He'd heard a few good things about this place in particular, a few new recruits and plenty of jobs to be taken up. The familiarity of the environment was all he needed at the moment however, a good look at the place already left him satisfied. He scratched his poor excuse of a beard, buckled his sheath and summarized his content with a smile and a short "Hmph."

Elin watched in wonder as Tyvin made their targets. He had never seen her actually use her magic, having mainly been around her while she was grumpily eating food or assaulting squirrels.

First was the fascination with her crystal arm. The whole thing looked painful but glinted in the sun nicely enough. Elin's own arm tingled just thinking about that crystal bursting through his skin, clamping down over his body and rooting there. But finally seeing it at work was amazing. Tyvin's magic was far more visible than his, and far more athletic. She drew symbols in the wake of her arm and thrust them into the ground, where light exploded across the clearing and settled into some targets. "Tht's so cool!" he called before he could stop himself. The targets hung in the air a reasonable distance away, visible and stable even though he had just seen them appear from thin air.

Elin absently increased his focus to bring them better into his sight, feeling slightly put out that his magic was so much less impressive. But he remembered where he was pretty quickly and found the appropriate level of excitement. Taking the bows from Tyvin and putting them in his quiver, he was far too excited to question the red tips. Pulling the bow up, he drew the string back to his chin like he'd seen hunters do before and hoped it looked even close to right. "Is this right?" he asked, before he even tried to nock an arrow.

Once Tyvin had approved his stance, he pulled an arrow out of the quiver and tried to figure out how he was meant to hold it. Deciding on a grip that allowed him to hold the string and the arrow above the fletching, he tried to hold the whole contraption up, the wood of the arrow clacking against the bow. He focused on trying to get it to stay still in one spot and pulled back harder, allowing a little strength to seep into his arms unconsciously to hold the whole thing in place.

Just as Marigold was finishing up her rough sketch of the white lily, which seemed to be a rough due to the fact she didn't pay much mind to adding detail to it at the moment. She couldn't help but notice however as a younger girl, possibly even younger than she was, shyly come her way. She really was young! Marigold couldn't help but curiously study the younger girl for a moment in confused, but awe as she approached her despite her shy nature that she seemed to have. Noticing the small wave gesture the girl had given to her before taking a seat next to her, Marigold stopped her slight staring, and returned the smile. "Hello." She spoke quietly. Her tone quiet, but kind. She turned her eyes back at her drawing before looking back up at the younger girl. "Who are you?" She asked bluntly, not meaning for it to come off as bland. She couldn't help it however, Marigold was never much of a conversationalist to begin anyway. Again, Marigold studied the girl's face for a moment, before returning to her drawing, finishing up the little sketch before finally placing it back in her satchel, along with the little glass containers of herbs she carried with her.

"Flashy, huh? Not subtle in the slightest, but it gets the eyes of onlookers like yourself widening, so it does something good'' Tyvin gave Elin a wink as she stood back and looked him over. I mean, if you can't use your powers to impress kids and boost your ego. What's the point? Her fingers poked the underside of her chin when Elin attempted to stand right, before long she moved over there to continue adjusting his stance. "You're catching on quick, Kid"

As he started to hold out the bow Tyvin place herself right behind the boy, leaning against him so she could reach around and adjust both his hands. "You're getting the hang of it, but make sure you don't strain the bow string too much. It can break" She spoke from his shoulder, hands pushing his own forward a bit, lessing the strain on the bow. "And you want the string to be parallel to the arm holding onto the woof, not your cheek. Or else you'll end up with the bow string ripping into your skin. That's what the pads and gloves are for'' She didn't seem to mind or put any thought into how awkward her position would probably look to anyone just arriving.

"I'm Shiori." She said. The girl was really nice and seemed to be drawing a flower of some sort.

"That's really pretty." She said. Her face flushed as Shiori realized how awkward the situation must be for her. "Umm, what's your name?" She tried to lighten the conversation.

Last edited:
He'd heard a few good things about this place in particular, a few new recruits and plenty of jobs to be taken up. The familiarity of the environment was all he needed at the moment however, a good look at the place already left him satisfied. He scratched his poor excuse of a beard, buckled his sheath and summarized his content with a smile and a short "Hmph."
Tyner, who had been occupying himself in the usual ways, was pleased to see the older ones training the children before they went out. One could never be too prepared. Just as he considered retiring to his study to get a book of some sort, he noticed an unfamiliar face in the doorway.

"You there, boy. Step forward." he called, beckoning him to his table. "What do they call you? I don't recognize your face."

"They call me a Fire Wasp." Ral replied, putting an unceremonious emphasis on his title. He walked towards the table that the Grandmaster had called him to. "But I would prefer it if you simply referred to me as Ral. Ral Wyrtha." He declared with a smirk. He stopped at the table, meeting with the Grandmaster. At least he seemed like a grandmaster... out of all the oddities that occupied the tavern, he had stood out the most. He decided to find out who he was for himself.

"And you are?"

Last edited:
Elin quickly corrected the mistakes that Tyvin found with his stance, trying to hold on to all the information at once. He grinned when Tyvin said he was catching on quick, but didn't respond, concentrating on remembering how to do everything. Loosening his pull on the bow string, Elin let a little of his strength fade out as well. He didn't need quite as much, but the little extra was helping him not have to feel the strain of drawing the bow. The last thing he wanted to do was break Tyvin's bow string, especially after she had been so generous with this whole exercise. Instead, he focused his whole concentration on learning what she had to teach him.

Or at least he did until she came and stood behind him, her hands guiding his. Elin couldn't help the blush that bloomed over his face and tipped his ears in red when her front came too close to his back. Inwardly cursing his age and almost wishing Tyvin would step away so he couldn't feel her voice as well as he could hear it, he shook his head slightly to clear it. Bringing his focus back into the clearing, he nodded slightly too hard when Tyvin told him to make sure the string was parallel to the wood. He jerked it to the right angle, very keen to keep the skin on his arm, and to have something else to think about.

Still trying to get his mind away from the topic, he pulled the string slightly further back, aimed at one of the targets, and shot. The arrow sailed through the air, tragically missing the target, but flying some crazed distance into the forest. His strength had seeped back into his arm while his hormones had been raging. Oops? He wondered if he should go and grab it, but merely drew a second arrow and nocked it, muttering all of Tyvin's instructions under his breath. He'd shot too far right last time, so he compensated, ready to try the shot again.

"Damn, you might of missed the target, but you have one hell of an arm. I don't think I could make an arrow go that far, could be useful..." She assured him, speaking directly into his ear now, eagerly waiting for him to try again. "Remember, stay calm think about the wind, it pushes, pulls and fucks with your hair. You need to overcome it, take it into account. Stare down your target, channle your frustrations into your bow, give it an edge and you a clearer mind. Then give it release'' Tyvin had thought back to her days of training, and watching various other people train, their instructors usually yelling metaphors at them. So, she attempted that too... It was beginning to sound a bit disjointed.

They also hit their students too, but Tyvin preferred to not hit Elin. Hugs were better. "You can do it, Elin"

"They call me a Fire Wasp." Ral replied, putting an unceremonious emphasis on his title. He walked towards the table that the Grandmaster had called him to. "But I would prefer it if you simply referred to me as Ral. Ral Wyrtha." He declared with a smirk. He stopped at the table, meeting with the Grandmaster. At least he seemed like a grandmaster... out of all the oddities that occupied the tavern, he had stood out the most. He decided to find out who he was for himself.

"And you are?"
"Tyner Derroga. Grandmaster of this guild. Seems to me you're the type that's looking for work, Ral. What qualifications have sent you to my establishment?" he asked. He surveyed the man up and down, and saw a mage, for sure. He seemed confident enough in his abilities, if not in need of a little refinement. It was interesting to see a new mage: it had been some time since Tyner had seen a new mage in Calary. He listened, awaiting the man's reply.

TIMESKIP:
THE RESPITE IS NOW INTO DUSK OF THE FIRST DAY

(Jpz, please continue regardless)

"Tyner Derroga. Grandmaster of this guild. Seems to me you're the type that's looking for work, Ral. What qualifications have sent you to my establishment?" he asked. He surveyed the man up and down, and saw a mage, for sure. He seemed confident enough in his abilities, if not in need of a little refinement. It was interesting to see a new mage: it had been some time since Tyner had seen a new mage in Calary. He listened, awaiting the man's reply.

"I'm a traveler, one who's been to many other chapters of the guild, and I have decided to come here." He responded. "It is true, I am looking for work. I heard this tavern had quite a lot of bounties posted on its board." He seemed a bit tired, the journey had taken up some of his energy. "But that is not an urgent matter right now. I shall have a drink first." He stated, looking at the bartender. He looked back to Tyner, his natural instinct would dictate that he simply go about his own business, but this place seemed special to him, it made him want to be generous. "Want me to buy you a drink, from one mage to another fellow mage?" He asked.

"Marigold... but you can call me, Mari if you would like." She replied gazing up at the younger girl once again, "Nice to meet you, Shiori. And thank you." She gave the girl a slight nod and half smile. She then gave a slight look around the room before placing her gaze back on the shy, flustered girl. "Are you sick?" She asked, noticing her face was a little red. "I have some medicine if you need some..?" She offered, pulling out one her containers of a healing herb, looking at the girl curiously, but slightly worriedly.

Shiori shook her head fervently. "No, I'm fine." Looking at Marigolds worried look, she tried to relax. Thinking about what she said, Furrowing her brow a bit, she added "You know, I don't remember the last time I got sick. Must've been before..." She trailed off, forgetting that thought "Anyway, are... You a Mage?" She said a bit awkwardly"I mean, most people here are so I kinda assumed..." She scratched her neck anxiously.

"Oh, well alright then." The girl gave a slight nod, placing the herb back within her satchel before placing her hands in her lap, listening slightly as the girl, Shiori began to mutter something about the last time she had been ill, which seemed to not have been for quite a while, or so she thought before she cut herself off and questioned her about being a mage, trying to keep a conversation going on between the two of them. "A Mage? Why.. I suppose I am." She replied quietly, now placing her arms on the table, leaning her chin on the palm of her hand. "But I tend to only use my abilities for emergencies." She continued, "I'm currently studying to be a healer, so that I can go on missions and find my self of use to others." She explained, feeling proud of herself to be able to talk so much without stuttering. She felt strangely relaxed within this building, and girl Shiori seemed to mean no harm, so she had no means to be shy. "Ah! I suppose I should tell you what kind of mage I am.. If you are curious?" She questioned, before glancing around slightly, before sitting back to be able to reach in her bag and pull out a small glass jar out of her satchel; within it held sand. She pulled off the rubber cork that sealed the bottle shut and poured a small handful within her palm, before closing the jar again and placing it on the table. "I am, a earth mage." She explained, focusing her attention on the small pile of sand which laid within the palm of her hand. She careful closed her hand into a fist, before opening it again. The sand began to take several different shapes and sizes as she began to whisper softly, as if she were speaking to someone. The sand took the shape of the white lily she was sketching earlier, then suddenly into a small doe. Once it did that, she carefully placed it on the table infront of them, allowing it to hop and wander around the table, without a care in the world. After watching the sand shapened doe, she beckoned it back into her hand, then which it returned to it's original form of a pile of sand. Putting it back in the jar, she looked back at the girl, Shiori. "Are you a mage as well?"

Shiori stared in awe at the Magic Marigold possessed. The deer looked so lifelike as it pranced around the table. She smiled at her lovely display. Hearing her question, she nodded slightly. "Yes. This is my magic item." she said as she placed her book on the table "It has several things it can do, some more useful than other." fingering the engraved cover, she glanced at Marigold. "I've had it for a long time, so I know a lot of the spells in it. But it seems every time I flip through there's new things."

Feeling that slight bubbling happiness within her, Marigold couldn't help but slightly smile as she noticed the younger girl enjoyed her little display of her magic. It was a new feeling that felt very welcoming, and was very new to her. Marigold hasn't made a 'friend' in very long time. As for answering her earlier question, Marigold watched as Shiori placed a particular book upon the table. She had never seen it before. "I see.." Marigold replied quietly, as she looked curiously at the cover of the book, a smile formed once again upon the elf's lips. "That book seems to be very precious and handy then." She spoke happily, placing her hands in lap and giving the girl a slight nod. "Maybe you can show some of the spell's in your book sometime." She offered.

Elin shivered involuntarily when Tyvin's voice, rather than moving away after his terrible shot, moved right in close. Her breath was warm against his ear, some of it spilling down onto his neck to send a quickly subdued shudder down his spine. He wrenched his focus back to her words, rather than the way they were spoken so close she could almost be biting his ear. Wait, why had he thought of that? Why would she ever bite his ear?!

Think about the wind. Account for it messing up his aim. Adjust the level of strength in his arm so the arrow didn't fly off into the trees again. Ignore the breasts tickling his back and the fully grown woman breathing into his ear. Channel his frustrations into the bow. Ignore the rising panic that anything else could be rising. Release the arrow.

Elin released the shot with a rapid exhale of breath, the twang of the bowstring shocking him slightly with its volume. The arrow streaked away from them and Elin gladly watched it in favour of moving even slightly, following it as it drilled into the target and stuck. Still a little too much strength, but the aim was far better. It wasn't exactly centre, but it was far closer. It was on the left edge of the target, the fletching quivering.

Beaming, Elin spun to share his success with Tyvin. He absolutely forgot to take into account his lack of height, and Tyvin's current position, and found himself face to face, not with a beaming smile of approval, but instead, Tyvin's ample breasts. Backing away as fast as his considerable speed would let him, he felt his face grow hotter than it had ever felt, his eyes wide but completely unable to look even close to the direction of Tyvin. Instead, he ducked his head to stare at the ground, and searched for a hole to sink into. Failing to find any such escape, he eventually squeaked out, "Bit further to the right? Yep. Right." To his eternal chagrin, his voice cracked right in the middle of his almost sentence, as if to rub in the fact that he was right in the middle of puberty. Spinning on his heel and hiding his flaming face, he pulled the bow back up and put another few shots into, or at least near the target, ardently hoping that Tyvin would forget he even existed.

"Damn, bullseye! Nice shot" Her smile grew wide at his success, he was easily picking up this skill faster than she ever did, it had taken her awhile to hit her first target. Maybe she was a better teacher than she thought. The scene switched gears from triumphant to strange in a micro-second, as soon as she looked down she witnessed Elin's shocked expression and subsequent 'escape' to the other side of the platform. Was he scared of her chest?

Her expression of confusion faded and was soon replaced with one of amusement. Seriously? And this kid s about to fight monsters... "Kid!" Even in her own giggling, she couldn't help but be impressed as he pulled off more shots. Now, she was starting to get jealous. "Look-" She raised her finger and poked her own chest with it. "-this is a breast, a natural body part that all woman grow at one point. It isn't going to kill you" She offered him a wink "You'd think I was naked with the way you're reacting" It's not like I'm the first grown woman he's met...

Last edited:
"I'm a traveler, one who's been to many other chapters of the guild, and I have decided to come here." He responded. "It is true, I am looking for work. I heard this tavern had quite a lot of bounties posted on its board." He seemed a bit tired, the journey had taken up some of his energy. "But that is not an urgent matter right now. I shall have a drink first." He stated, looking at the bartender. He looked back to Tyner, his natural instinct would dictate that he simply go about his own business, but this place seemed special to him, it made him want to be generous. "Want me to buy you a drink, from one mage to another fellow mage?" He asked.
Tyner cracked a smile. Of course, he could simply tell the mage in front of him that this was his damn bar, and he would his drinks for free, but something held him back. Might as well give the lad a chance before trying to break his ego.

"Sounds lovely." Tyner took a seat at the bar. "Tell me, friend: What's your story? What other chapters have housed you?"

"Thanks," Shiori said of Marigold's comment, blushing a bit at her compliments. Taking her book and holding it in her lap, she thought of something to say to keep the conversation going. "Oh, how long have you been in the guild?" She said, perking up a bit "I've been here for a couple months."

Back