Vitam et Mortem IC - The Heat & Other Non-Magic Philly Locations

Jessie

The blonde stared hard at the twins until her training kicked in, and she realized what she was doing. Turning her face up to Calvin, she pasted a fake, bright-ass, Christmas elf smile on her face to trick the witches into thinking both she and Cal were filled with just as much Christmas cheer as them. "Good teamwork, fiance!" she said cheerfully as she plucked his debit card with two fingers.

Giving the twins one more assessing look and an excite, if murderous, smile to Cal, she turned on her heel and headed toward McDonalds since that was where Calvin had been steering them before she stopped. She trusted her fiance implicitly to keep an eye on the witches, so she didn't bother glancing back at them.

Calvin Holman

He desperately tried to think of how he could save these girls, because all he could picture was sweet Beatrix looking up at him from under bright blue hair. Of course if he, a grown man, approached these two teenage girls, it would likely not go well, particularly if he was informing them that they were in danger. He thought of his two beautiful nieces and an idea struck him. He picked up his phone and after making sure it was on silent he wandered near the girls, talking animatedly into the cell phone. "Yeah, I'm at the mall. My niece's birthday is coming up and I heard there was some kind of sale at Forever 21. Everything is buy one, get one half off or something like that and she loves that store. I just... don't remember where it's at." He turned this way and that, looking for a sign signaling the direction of the store. While he did so, he caught sight of Jessie, in line paying him no attention.

It was strange how he felt more loyalty to these young girls right now than he did his own fiancé and in some ways, he was really starting to regret meeting Beatrix because questioning everything he knew or thought he knew was... too much.

Maybe she really had cast a spell on him.

Jessie

McDonald's had a line that felt like forEVER in Jessie's opinion. As she waited, she examined the menu items to mentally prepare what to order for both her and Calvin. He was a man, so that meant he ate a lot, right? Maybe a Big Mac. She would have suggested they share something since hunting on a full stomach might not be a great idea, but she didn't want to assume. And men didn't always like to split food. Chicken nuggets, it is! Now that was settled, she pulled out her phone and began playing Angry Birds.

The twins had their heads together, talking and giggling, but they quieted when the hot man approached then giggled even harder as they whispered about him. The titters turned to silence as the words "sale" and "Forever 21" rang in their ears. With a squeal of delight, the girls turned and hurried in the direction of their favorite store, arms linking, and smiles wreathing apple-cheeked faces. Soon they had disappeared from view of the food court.

Calvin Holman

He would have thought he would have felt relieved at the girls running off, but he just felt... conflicted. He'd saved their lives, they were gone from his sight and yet... He felt he had betrayed his family and friends and his legacy.

The phone was tucked back away into his back pocket and he wandered over to where Jessie was waiting in line, sliding an arm around her waist as couples were wont to do. "They disappeared through the crowd," he murmured in her ear. Just a lover, whispering sweet words into his lover's hear. "Someone mentioned something about a sale and they took off. We'll have to find someone else." Someone who was not a teenager with their whole life ahead of them.

Once he'd informed her of what had happened, he removed his arm from her waist, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. Instead, he flipped out his phone checking his messages, yet again, for a message from Beatrix.

Text from Beatrix: Thank you for the luck, I think it helped today! And I miss you, too. You will be happy to note that I am now in the process of dying my hair again.

Jessie, feeling someone approach, turned her head from her game in just enough time for Cal to come into view, she blinked up at him surprised. And she was even more surprised when he slung and arm around her waist and leaned in to whisper into her ear. When he pulled away, she gritted through her smile, "How the heck did you let twin witches get away from you? Twiiiiins, Cal! We could be the Hunters of the night for bringing down two at a time at a mall." All of this was stated in whispers.

When they stepped up to the counter, she muttered her order and waited for Cal to order for himself since he was here, and then she handed over his credit card. It was but seconds before the card was handed back, and Jessie held it up for him. "It's okay, though. There's bound to be another one around here, right?"

Calvin Holman

The text from Beatrix made a smile threaten to appear and he texted out a quick reply before sliding his phone away once more. 'Back to blue or are you trying for something... more adventurous? Glad things went well today.'

The smile was short lived, though, as Jessie whispered back and the guilt settled further into his gut. "I could have followed them, but it would have looked a little odd, a grown man wandering around after two girls and it's crowded. They were teenagers," He continued to counter, taking up the credit card and sliding it back into his wallet. "Hardly a worthy adversary, twin adults would have been another thing." It was true, but he still felt sick saying it. "Beside, this mall is full of people. I'm sure we can easily find someone else."

Text from Beatrix: Think 'Christmas'! LOL. What are you up to? Want to meet for coffee later? I'll be at Java tonight. Feel free to join me.

Jessie

Jessie lifted the tray the food was placed on and turned to smile up at Calvin. "Really, it's okay. You're right, they were just teenagers. Walking to a table for two, she sat down and opened the carton of nuggets and the tiny dipping sauce. "It's too bad the food court doesn't have alcohol, am I right?" She laughed, "I think we both could use several drinks right now."

Calvin Holman

He'll help Jessie carry their trays to the table she picked out and disappear for a few minutes to return with ketchup for the fries. He dipped a fry from his supersized order into the red sauce and laughed. "After the day we've had, yeah I think we both could use a drink." He'd pause, chewing thoughtfully. "Your parents are great, though. They care and they love you. It's not entirely their fault they're pushing us to rush into marriage. They're a product of our culture." He frowned; it would seem he owed his own mother an apology.

Feeling his phone vibrate in his pocket, he'd pop another fry into his mouth and pull it out. Coffee, later tonight. 'I'll be there. Around 9?' He'd leave his phone on the table next to his tray, picking up his burger. "Maybe we should just... take it easy tonight? If we don't come across an easy target, well there will be another night and we had a rough day..." Of course, she might want to blow off steam with a Hunt.

Text: See you then! and then a few minutes later as if Beatrix just couldn't handle herself, I'm excited!

Jessie

Another golden, chicken nugget was dipped into the honey mustard sauce and popped into her mouth. She sat back in the chair, ankles crossed beneath the table. "You're right. I mean, they've always been super supportive in things I wanted to do when I was a kid as long as they didn't interfere in Hunter activities. I think they just really want us to be happy, ya know? They've been together for a long time, and both of my brothers are married. I get it. But at the same time, I'm hoping that at least moving in together will give us some breathing room from them for a little bit."

After a sip of her Coke, she focused on his phone as it buzzed again. "You are Mister Popular. Who keeps texting you? Is it that girl who went to court earlier?" She was only mildly curious since being appeased earlier in the day about said friend. Some fries were next dipped into the honey mustard and then her mouth.

Back