IC Thread | England Sanctuary / London. (City above the Sanctuary)

Melionia woke up to the sound of her alarm erupting into her ear. She got up, once again, throwing her alarm across the room for it to continue. "I swear these things are unbreakable.." She grumbled, picking it up and turning it off. Mel got up, taking her school uniform from out of her drawer, before realising it was a Saturday, and put it back and pulling out a black leather jacket and trousers. She walked downstairs, her mum already two steps ahead of her, placing breakfast at the table. Mel muttered a "Thanks mum." Before eating, her mind on a bunch of other things.

She stood up, going to the door and telling her mum she was going out.
"Be back by lunch!" Her mother shouted after her, as she was beginning to close the door.
"Will do!" Mel shouted back.

Darren was pretty popular in school. He had friends in nearly every clique, and today he was hanging out with his friends Siobhan and Drew playing Magic: the Gathering in his local park. He liked the irony of the game, especially given his own magical talents.

Of course, his friends st school couldn't know that. And he figured this was as close as his two Mortal friends would ever get to his own world. He drew a card, turned some Island cards sideways, and played a spell to drain Siobhan's deck into her discard pile.

"Oi, Sio! He does that one more time and you're done!" Drew noted, looking at Siobhan's scant deck beside her large discard pile. With a smirk, the boy known as Knight tapped the rest of his lands, played a spell to recycle the last spell, and played it again.

She just leaned back and pouted.

"Nice game, Sio," Darren offered with a smile, before turning to Drew with a solemn look. "But I'm afraid I've got to get to my tutor."

"You're, like, one of the best in class," Siobhan protested.

"I'm afraid my parents insist," Darren rebutted. He gathered his cards and stored them in his shoulder bag inside of a Plexiglas protective box.

After a couple minutes of goodbyes, Darren was on his way. As he plodded to his appointment, he saw Melonia a few dozen meters ahead of him, walking the same way.

"Oi, Mel!" he called out as he quickened his pace to catch up. They hadn't directly hung out before, but he'd heard of her. She was generally kind, but she was said to have a bit of a temper, particularly toward bullies. He respected that last bit, especially with his own, shall we say, hero complex.

He was on his way to an appointment with his symbol magic tutor, but he was in no particular rush. He figured he had a couple of minutes to talk.

Mel turned around, "Oh? Hi Darren!" Kill him, rip out his spine and beat him with it. Mel shook her head, trying to shake the thoughts out of her mind. "Why are you here? With me of all people?" Melionia smiled, mostly to herself. He wants to bully you like all the others. She shook her head again, noticing the Magic cards in his hand. "You? You play MTG?" One of her brows raised.

Darren grinned as Melonia greeted him. He thought it was surprisingly warm, and that pleased him.

"I was on my way to see my tutor," he explained. "I'm a little early and saw you walking, so I figured I'd stop to say hi."

He looked down at the cards in his hand and blushed a bit. "I thought I'd put those away." He unshouldered his bag, placed the cards inside, and then replaced it as he explained. "Yeah, everyone's gotta have a hobby. I have a few, and when I hang out with my friends Drew and Sio, we play Magic." He grinned to himself, amused again by the dual meaning it held, only for him. "I know it's nerdy, but you should give it a try sometime. It's pretty fun."

"Hm? Oh I already play it, thought that was just me though. Wanna play later? I'd be down." Mel smiled at him,

"Anyways, I need to go talk to someone, Play with you later?" She didn't wait for his response, jogging home.

"Yeah, later!" Knight called after Melonia, still pleased with himself and with her responses. Who'd have thought? Mel played Magic.

After a moment Darren looked at his watch and realized that he was now in the rush he'd avoided earlier. He gave a slight hop before breaking into a full run.

He was in pretty good shape, but by the time he checked his watch again on China's stoop (Oh, with 30 seconds to spare! he cheered), he was breathing quite heavily. After a couple of deep breaths, he used the door's knocker to rap loudly.

London.
Ugh.
Pip pip cheerio and all that.
And an unhealthy obsession with tea.
Morrow walked down the street, noticing the strange looks he gathered from the locals, obviously owing to his Oni Mask.
It was funny. They were too polite to tell him off, but they still cast truly ugly looks his direction.
He had heard of these people, people that rejected anything that did not fit within their view of reality. The easiest to fool.
Suffice it to say, he did not want to be in London. A problem had come up.
A kitsune.
A fox demon. A shapeshifter that thoroughly enjoyed messing with humans was a potentially big problem. They were hard to detect, too, the crafty little beings that they were.
Most people thought it was for a party, his getup and sword. It wasn't. Sixty centimeters of deadly blade honed to perfection, even if it did stay in it's sheath most if the time.
He sighed and kept looking, ignoring the nasty looks of the ignorant mortals.

As he was walking, a young woman winked at him.
He thought he recognized her...
Ugh.
He had been informed that a kitsune had escaped, but not this... particular one. He knew this one.
As she passed him, he grabbed her arm and practically drug her to an alley, ignoring her whine of protest.
Once they were in the alley, he sighed.
"What now?"
She pouted and then winked at him again.
"Oh, I know how you love chasing me around, so I came here." She looked at him, smiling coyly. "Maybe I could go steal something shiny and you could chase me around for awhile. Wouldn't that be fun?" She said playfully.
Morrow grunted, amused.
"I think our definitions of 'fun' are quite different," he said.
She smiled.
"My, my, how forward you are, Morrow. Well, I guess we could..."
Morrow sighed and resisted the urge to pinch his sinuses.
"That-that's not what I meant."
He looked around, anxious to change the subject.
"Didn't you have another reason for coming here?"
She pouted.
"Well you wouldn't be interested in it, but there was something about a dragon..."
Morrow did a double-take.
A Dragon ?

Morrow walked with the Kitsune, Arisu, as she explained.
"I heard that a Dragon was captured by some hunters earlier in the week so I came here..."
It made sense. Sorcerers and magical creatures in the Asia regions alike all respected and revered their dragons for their innumerable age and infinite wisdom. The fact that hunters would capture one and bring it here was unthinkable. They defiled something so pure...
He knew she would never admit it, but Arisu respected and revered dragons as well. That was why she had come.
He sighed again.
"Where?" he said simply.
She understood.
"...I'll show you."
And so they walked to the spot, a dilapidated warehouse on the edge of town, unusually overlooked. That alone was suspicious.
"Welp, here we are," Arisu said. "Unless you want to -"
"No, that's fine."
She laughed and nodded.
Morrow cringed. She excelled at making him uncomfortable. He didn't know how she did it.
Morrow thanked her, "Thank you, but I can handle this from here. Why don't you-"
"No, I think I'll come. I haven't had some excitement in a long time, and since you're refusing - "
"Yes, I am."
She continued unperturbed, "- I think I'll come."
Morrow accepted this without complaint, for he knew that she wouldn't change her mind for anything. Well, except that, and he wasn't going to offer.
He looked for discreet entrances and found one in the form of a vent, the oldest trick in the book.
He offered his hand to her and she, now in fox form, climbed up his leg and settled on it, hooking her claws onto his bracer.
It was time.

He held up his arm to the vent before he climbed in, allowing Arisu to climb in before going in himself.
This one was a roomy vent, much bigger than he was used to. Not an eight, at least a seven. Then he heard voices.
"Unruly beast, isn't he?"
"Yeah, he just won't stop, will he? Will you? You great big - AAHHH!"
Whatever made him scream like that seemed like a great distraction, so Morrow unsheathed his sword and cut a hole below him (Perfect circle, as always) and came out of it, flipping so that he stood atop it, crouched. Arisu had come with him, grabbing onto his shoulder when he started moving, her whiskers rasping quietly against his mask, likely no one could hear it but him. He looked down to see what was happening.
The dragon had rammed his head against the cage scooting it forward a few inches, bonking the guard on the head. He was rubbing it and the other guards were looking at the dragon warily, clearly having underestimated the dragon's strength.
Morrow almost laughed, looking at their fearful faces. This was their fault, underestimating a child of fire and wind.

Darren stood on the stoop in front of China's home, somewhat perplexed as to how he'd gotten there clearly, she'd ejected him, but it happened very quickly.

And she said something about visitors.

Darren was curious (or nosy, depending on perspective) and so decided to take a seat at a café across the street. He made sure to get an outdoor table from which he could see China's doorstep.

"Darren! Nice to see you!"

His friend Haley waitressed here evenings and weekends, as it turned out. "Oi, Haley."

"What can I get for you?" she inquired.

"Just coffee is fine," Darren replied, his eyes alternating between Haley's own and China's door.

Haley made a face. "Coffee is gross. I'd recommend a good tea, like--"

"Coffee, please. I've never been partial to tea," Darren interrupted. "Cream, but no sugar."

Haley deflated a bit but after a long moment, she acquiesced. "I'll have that right out for you, Darren." She muttered something under her breath as she walked away which the boy couldn't hear, and he refocused his attention on China's door.

Morrow peered over the edge again, smiling to himself as the guards muttered among themselves, not knowing he was here. Arisu's paws clung to him as he balanced, wobbling a little bit. He looked at Arisu, silently communicating something, which she understood, jumping off of the vent and scampering away toward the door. Meanwhile, Morrow dropped down from the vent he was standing on and landed silently on the ground.
One of the guards said something really smart like,
"Hey, what're you doing here?"
"You shouldn't be here!"
"Get him!", and other really smart grunt bad guy things.
Making sure he took his time, he slowly drew his sword, drawing it out to give Arisu more time, spacing the guards out like an old kung-fu movie.
He loved those movies.
The guards were confused, looking at each other confused. Did this strange person with a katana seriously think he could defeat them, no doubt experienced magicians all, with guns?
Neanderthals.
Once his sword was out of it's sheath, (Mental note to never say that to Arisu) he looked around, extending his senses to encompass the entire room, sword hanging at his side, it's bare blade glistening in anticipation.
All at once, it snapped.
He dashed, his body a blur, and slashed at a guard, cutting his gun in half, continuing the slice so it was a complete circle, and cut him in half also. As the others fired a mixture of fireballs, icicles, bullets and spells of all varieties, he backflipped, all the projectiles flashing past under him as he arced down to the opposite side, cutting that guard in half as he landed.
Fun.
Arisu focused on the dragon's cage, trying to figure out a way to unlock it, but was having no such luck.
So Morrow dashed and slashed, keeping pace perfectly with the guards, literally running circles around them, defeating the entire group.
Then he ran to the Dragon, trying with Arisu to find a way to break the cage.

Last edited:
"It's been a while since we did something like this," Arisu said as she worked on the lock, trying to break it.
"It has," Morrow agreed, crouching by her.
Then he heard a group of footsteps approaching the large door that was the entrance to the warehouse.
"Those aren't our reinforcements, are they?" Arisu said, resignedly.
"Nope," Morrow said, unsheathing his sword again and putting it gently on the floor as he stood. "Try that."
"Wha- What about you?" Arisu said, bewildered.
"I'll be okay."
And Morrow let his power go, mist falling from inside his hoodie, covering the floor and obscuring everything. He pressed a button on the stopwatch located on his left wrist. He felt his Gist stir, knowing its time had come. Under his mask, Morrow smiled. He knew his Gist was evil, but...
Dang, this felt good. He hadn't let go for a while now.
The reinforcements came through the door, looking around at the Mist until they saw Morrow. This was going to be fun.
He pressed another button on his stopwatch, starting it.
One.
Two.
And then his Gist attacked, having grown restless by all the waiting. The mist at his feet swirled and formed into his favorite of its forms. A dragon.
It swirled around at him, it's head at least twice his height, then, at his direction, flying into the group of guards, who tried to attack it or run.
Adorable.
Three.
Four.
Five.
It curled around, twisting in impossible patterns, before curling around Morrow again, It's jaw level with his head, the entire group killed except one. He laid a hand on it and dispelled it, the dragon coiling back around his soul. He looked at the surviving guard, who sputtered and coughed.
"I heard... whispers..." He said, breathless, as he kneeled there. "The Dragon Prince..." He saw Arisu get the lock open with his Katana, and scowled. He reached out, thrusting his hand at the Kitsune, who suddenly turned into her fox form.
But the cage was open.
The dragon, the real one, a great beauty, Electric blue scales dancing in the light, curved around and rammed into the last guard, grabbing him with his teeth and throwing him into the wall on the side. He then swirled around the pair, eventually rearing up in front of the door and looking at them, encirling them with his snake-like body. He had seen this sight a few times in his travels, but every time it took his breath away, the majestic creatures that they were.
Arisu bowed, as much as a fox could bow, and then looked at him out of the corner of her eye, her head still down, curious why he wasn't doing the same.
And he did want to bow, but the dragon beat him to it, inclining his head at him in respect, blinking once. Dragons didn't speak like humans do, at least not to each other. They exchange thoughts, concepts and emotions.
His name was Hideaki, but in dragon he was something like; blue-scale, white-tooth, countless years aged and countless wisdom imparted and recieved, as well as a lot of defining events in his life.
Morrow touched him on his nose for a moment, before he spun around them again and shot into the sky.

After the dragon was gone, Morrow looked to Arisu, who was still in her fox form.
Wait. Still in her fox form?
He was tired, so his mind worked a bit longer than usual trying to figure this phenomenon out. A grin spread across his face as he realized why she had not changed back yet. He crouched down, looking her in the eye, trying not to laugh.
"You stuck?"
Arisu glared at him with a withering gaze.
She was stuck. Stuck in her fox form, no doubt something that the last guard did.
"It's okay," Morrow said as he stood up and tapped his foot twice, signaling for her to get on. "It'll wear off... probably." He said as she found a good spot on his shoulders, digging her claws in more than was necessary after his last remark, making him wince.
He needed to get to a place where he could rest. He was tired; he could barely stay on his feet after releasing his Gist like that, even for a few seconds. And Arisu needed a space to wait for whatever that was to wear off.
It was getting late anyway, so he headed toward the Inn that a fellow magician owned.
On the way, someone stopped him, a young boy.
"Is that your pet?" He asked.
Morrow grinned under his mask. "...Yeah."
The boy smiled. "Can I pet him?"
Morrow's smile broadened. "Of course you can. He's nice."
The boy reached up and pet Arisu, and then walked away.
He would pay for that later.

"Oh, no. No," Morrow said, picking up the fox that had curled up on a pillow on the bed at the hotel he had bought for the night and putting her on the floor. He reconsidered, giving her a pillow to sleep on.
He had checked into the hotel, run by a friendly magician (@Lila Renn ), just a few minutes ago. They still gave him weird looks, but he guessed they'd seen weirder. Masked man with Kitsune friend? No prob. No one knew he was the Dragon Prince, so not that weird.
He drifted off almost immediately when he hit the bed, drowning in his tiredness almost immediately.
And he dreamed.
He dreamed he was in a house, an old house, full of rot and ruin. At the end of the hallway, there was a man. A shadow. A big man-shaped hole in the world, a guardian. A king. At the end of the hallway, Morrow thought he smiled, although he couldn't see. He gestured, come. And Morrow found himself being dragged down the hall, his feet sliding across the floor. The shadow raised his cane and stabbed right through him, Morrow ceasing to exist from that moment onward. Normally, you would wake up before you died in the dream, but this wasn't it.
He felt dying. He felt utter nothingness, not even oblivion, just nothing.
Nothing.
And then the dream morphed into him laying on his back on a bed with an Angel crouching over him, covering him with her wings. Then he knew peace. Peace from the nightmares. Finally.
And then he woke, bolting upright.
He smiled as his eyes drifted to the sleeping form of Arisu, curled up on the pillow, and then left his bed, climbing up to the roof of the Hotel.
So much had changed. Was he ever just a kid, not an heir to an empire or kingdom?

Last edited:
Shudder walked up to the roof of the large hotel, his muscled body barely fitting through the frame of the door. "Sorry to bother you, customers have a habit of jumping off of the edge of this building." Shudder told the man, "Where's that.. Demon Fox? Or its actual name, Kitsune, Whats they're name?" He asked. His 6 foot frame stood taller than the man, although ever so slightly. Cleavers stood either side of him, Shudder, only just noticing, batted them away down the stairs to give the two some sort of privacy.

@Lila Renn
Morrow shrugged. "Arisu. That's her name." He had no doubt that Arisu would dislike him robbing her of a dramatic entrance, especially to a handsome, tall person like this, but she couldn't do anything while she was asleep, so he did it anyway.
His mind felt so much clearer up here. Despite the mask, it was much easier to breathe up here, in the clear air.
A bird, a raven, caught his eye for a moment, perching on a railway, before he turned his attention to the bustling, ignorant city once more, thinking of the dragon that he had freed earlier in the day.
He was tired, still, from his outburst of energy, but he didn't show it. His shoulders remained risen, his head remained high, his instincts not letting him show anything that resembled weakness toward a stranger.

“Arisu, huh? Nice to know.” Shudder smiled at the young man, “Well, It’s time for me to go back to managing the..” Shudder shuddered (see what I did there? ;) ) “Paperwork...” He finishes dreadfully.

“Anyways, I suggest you leave, Not being rude, But the hotel changes location every midnight. Hence the name ‘Midnight Hotel.’ Unless you want to be in Australia for the next 24 hours, You have around an hour and a half to leave, Bye now.” Anton waves at them, Walking back towards the hotel, and down the stairs.

Morrow nodded as Shudder left the roof, both empathizing with his exasperation towards paperwork (He sympathized, more than he knew) and signaling that he had heard what Shudder had said.
Morrow waited for a few minutes, marveling at the beauty of the natural world for just a little longer.
He then decided to go and wake Arisu and leave. Not that he had anything against Australia, but he was in London now, and he didn't really think much of moving. Too many magical creatures in there.
And, besides, he needed to find out who imprisoned that dragon. That was a crime he could not forgive.
But just this once. He would take down whoever, and then distance himself from him again.
And that would be the end of it.

Back