Akashic Arcana Ice to meet you: Disciplinary Divison Interview

Aer Shiana

Another day, another wave of useless recruits. Amatsu sighed and marked several applicants as DENIED, watching the failures walk off. Sifting through his ORB, he looked for anymore potential candidates for the Divison, and noticed one application that he had missed before. He blinked, and contacted the student via a text sent to their ORB:

Rosa Romano, report to the Student Council Building for your interview for the Disciplinary Division.

-Amatsu Akishino
Student Council Vice President
Acting Commander of the Disciplinary Divison
Once Rosa did as instructed, the lady at the front desk would direct the ice mage to Amatsu's office. The door would be open, and once she arrived, he would beckon her in, looking over her files. The room would be organized chaos, in a sense. There would be books piled everywhere, several of them open with their arcane contents being revealed.

"Rosa Romano. Third year, Class B. Specialized in ice magic.. " Amatsu looked up from his ORB, his eyes looking tired and irritated (although he always looks irritated). "You seem to be at least competent in combat. Do you believe you have any other strengths to offer to the Division?" His red eyes locked with her blue eyes, seeming to stare right into her soul with an intense glare.

Rosa felt her phone vibrate in her back pocket, her eyes scanned over the message. She quickly ditched whatever she had been doing and walked straight to the Student Council Building. She felt confident, Rosa had spent hours upon hours training with her father, in combat, tactical thinking and strategics. Rosa felt she had no reason to not apply her skills to the DD.

Rosa reached the office and was instructed to enter. She stepped inside, and quickly took a seat. Her gaze focused on Amatsu, not intimidated by his glare, or the unusual color of his eyes, she placed her hands in her lap and sat up straight "I have excellent leadership skills, I have experience in tactical thinking, I can work well in a team, I'm not afraid to lone work, I feel I can be a excellent asset to the division" she spoke calmly and clearly, offering a polite smile.

Her father was quite persistent in putting her various situations, she was placed in various situations to depend on resources and her magic, as well as avoiding any possible issues. Whenever Rosa slipped up her training became more vigorous and further demanding training, at times she had wanted to give in, however her father had relented and pushed his daughter to strive to do the best of her ability.

As Rosa spoke, Amatsu offhandedly wrote down notes in his ORB. He didn't seem too impressed, but slowly nodded once she was finished, closing his ORB and pocketing it into the inside of his red coat. "Well, if you are as you claim to be, then perhaps I could have use for you." He floated over to his desk, and tapped a button on what looked like a speaker. "Prepare the arena for me. I have another applicant."

A grizzled voice sounded from the speaker. "Aye, sure thing. Place is still busted from last time, so might be a while" Amatsu shook his head slightly and responded, "I just need a small section. I expect results within the next 20 minutes." He tapped the button again, and turned his attention back to Rosa. "Now, I'm going to apply a test to see if your claims are actually credible." He gestures to the door. "Before we leave, do you have any questions?"

Last edited:
Rosa watched Amatsu scribble down notes, she remained silent whilst he addressed the person on the speaker. So far he had given no indication whether she was acceptable or not, however she wasn't particularly worried, having confidence in her abilities. She arched a neat eyebrow in surprise to the current state of the arena, although from what the male in front of her had said, it would be perfectly suitable to use.

She considered his question before shaking her head "No, not at the current time" she spoke with a polite nod of her head. She was already aware of the DD procedure, and the examinations involved. She pushed herself up from her seat and stepped through the door, she rolled her sleeves up, mentally preparing herself for her first visit to the arena.

"Good. Then follow me." Amatsu levitated out of the room and headed the opposite direction of where Rosa came from. After a trip down several different hallways, they came to a portal room. natural light filled the otherwise silver and brown decorated area, with the distortion showing a clear view of the destination. Amatsu casually went through the large door-sized portal, beckoning Rosa to follow behind.

One she stepped through, her vision would blur for a few seconds, then she would appear on an enclosed balcony overlooking a section of the Situational Training Arena. The area below would look similar to part of the inner city of the academy grounds. Amatsu was at the control panel, with a uniformed man with an impressive beard and large stature seeming to instruct him on how to operate certain functions. "Thank you, Mr. Stormraven. That will be all." The one referred to as Stormraven nodded quietly and walked past Rosa, clapping her on the shoulder along the way and exiting through the portal.

Once the other man was gone, Amatsu turned to Rosa. "Head down to the training area, and await my instructions." He gestured to the door that led out to a lift. Once Rosa was in position, a holographic board popped up in front of her. Two men garbed in Discipline Division combat gear seemed to be waiting for her, and nodded at her without saying a word. They would be fully armored with their faces hidden.

Hostage Situation Exercise

Objective: With the aid of your fellow officers, rescue the civilian being held hostage.
Parameters: The exercise will be failed if the hostage or any allies are killed

Amatsu's voice sounded over the megaphone. "These officers will act as your allies for this exercise. They will follow any orders you give them. Utilize them to their full extent if you wish to pass and join the Division. When you are ready, the test will begin."

Once Rosa indicated she was ready, a loud buzzer would be heard, and the two officers waited for her orders.

Rosa followed the male to the chosen destination, nodding her head to the passing figure who patted her shoulder. She wondered if she would be facing an on sought of enemies much like the exercise her father would give her.

After getting into position she spotted her now allies, nodding towards them both in acknowledgement. As soon as the buzzer went off she faced her allies "We need rescue this civilian quickly without injury, I'm going to lower my body temperature and the room temperature" she muttered, more giving them a warning to the sudden drop in temperature that they were about to face.

The group of 3 then approached the building in preparation for their task, now that Rosa had physically prepared herself.

Last edited:
Both of Rosa's allies nodded silently and followed behind her.

As Rosa approached the building, she would notice the area eerily quiet. There was a single building marked for the exercise, and Rosa would have a clear view of the assigned "villain" holding a gun up to the hostage's head. The villain seemed to be extremely nervous, and easily startled, given his erratic shaking and expression. This was a delicate situation that would require a sharp mind to resolve. As the three officers approached, the villain yelled out "STAY BACK!" He pointed the gun in their direction, then returned it to the hostage's temple. "I'LL BLOW THIS GUY'S BRAINS OUT, DON'T TRY ANYTHING!"

The building seemed to have only one visible entrance, but there were two alleyways on either side. Perhaps there was a back entrance, but who knows what the villain may do if they were all to suddenly disappear? The hostage looked on the verge of panicking, as well.

Rosa and her small group reached their location, she could clearly see her target who looked ready to shoot as he yelled in their direction.

They had lost the element of surprise, he had seen them all and if they all moved at once he could shoot and her test would be over before it had really begun. She could see one entrance, if there were others she could not see them, she wasn't even sure if going out of sight was the best idea right now given the state of the situation. Rosa's instincts urged her to attack if she could get close enough to freeze the guy.

She ran a hand through her hair as she tried to think of a solution quickly, however, something told her this wasn't going to be a quick solve situation like the ones her father had put her through. She turned to the pair "I want to try and talk to this guy, if I can get close enough, I should be able to freeze him with a simple touch, you two stay here, for now, if I can get his attention completely on me then find a different way into the building, if we all go through the same entrance at once that will seem pretty intimidating and we could lose our hostage".

Rosa turned back around to face the building before stepping forwards, holding both hands up "I'm unarmed, I just want to talk" she called out calmly.

The two Disciplinary Officers nodded to Rosa and stayed put while she approached.

The gun-wielder turned the gun on Rosa as she got closer. He certainly looked very much on edge, but didn't pull the trigger. Instead, he kept the weapon trained on her for a few minutes. "S-Stay back! D-Don't make me shoot! Because I will!" He returned the gun back to the hostage's head, jamming it against his temple. "I swear I will!"

The hostage pleaded to Rosa. "This guy's a madman! H-He's gonna kill me!" This prompted a "Shut up!" from his captor, and the poor man was shoved down to his knees. He pointed the gun back at Rosa, even more frantic than before. "You want to talk?! You think I'm stupid? I know what you magical freaks are capable of!"

With Rosa being closer and having a better look at the scene, she would be able to see a duffel bag stuffed with jewelry, and behind the counter of the store, she'd be able to see someone's legs. Whoever it was, they were laying on the ground and not moving an inch. With a small store like this, one could safely assume the door in the far wall led to a back room that could be accessed from the outside.

The man with the gun had a dirty and disheveled look to him, as though he hadn't bathed or changed clothes in months. His bagged yet manic eyes were those of sleep deprivation and possibly drug use.

Back in the observation room, Amatsu crossed his arms, waiting for Rosa to show what she's capable of. It's one thing to display impressive combative abilities, but what he wanted to see was how she adapted to the situation and utilized everything at her disposal. After all, even on Academy grounds, crime was quite real, and people reacted in unpredictable ways to intense situations like this one. Several factors could lead to either success or agonizing failure.

Rosa glanced between the hostage and criminal, for a moment she wasn't sure how to proceed, a second of panic taking over her. She glanced back at the officers, she wanted to get them closer if possible but she knew that would set things off badly.

Her gaze refocused back on the criminal, she held her hands up as the gun was aimed at her "I do want to talk, yes I can use magic but that's not an option for me, I just don't want anyone to get hurt, that means you as well . . . so I want to negotiate. . . tell me what do you want?" Rosa asked.

Judging by the body on the floor and the dishevelled and scruffy appearance of the gun wielder she could see this man was desperate, to resort to such measures could only mean this was a desperate man or a stupid one. Rosa wondered if she could get closer if she could just get into the store without triggering the criminal.

Amatsu watched the interaction between Rosa and the man brandishing the gun. Noting that the girl was unaware of what to do, he spoke into a comm to one of her allied officers. "Make a suggestion regarding the back entrance, but say or do nothing else." Crossing his arms, he so far had little to judge her on.

When Rosa glanced back to the officers, one of them would whisper to her about the back entrance to the store, while the other simply said "Whatever you order us to do, we will do it without question." He kept his voice low, and his eyes on the robber.

When addressed by the potential recruit, the man with the gun pointed at her again, his hands shaking. He glanced to the body and the bag of questionable contents, then turned his attention back to Rosa. "Just- just you.." He waved the firearm at the two officers, who didn't even budge at the threat. "Not those two! Just you.."

If Rosa approached the front entrance to the jewelry store, the man would tense up, but would not otherwise act. The hostage would look extremely nervous, though the gun would be turned away from him, and pointed at Rosa once she was inside.

Once inside, Rosa would be able to see several cases that previously held jewelry smashed open, with glass all over the floor. Behind the counter, it would be difficult to tell if the body was dead, or simply unconscious from her current angle. The bag of stolen goods was at the robber's feet, who was looking frantic. "Alright, you w-wanted to talk. So l-l-let's... talk." He glanced to the officers outside, then focused back on Rosa. "Y-you're with them, I just know it. B-but you're.. not doing th-that.. uh.. fiery explody stuff. S-so, does th-that mean I have a ch-chance?"

Rosa kept her gaze on the triggerman, whilst she was aware of the entrance she didn't want to move without making bullets rain down on her. So she waited until the gunman gave his consent for her to enter, this time she glanced back at the two officers "I'm going to try and talk to him, if I can keep him focused on me then I may have an opportunity, when he is distracted I want one of you to cover that back entrance, one of you will cover the front entrance but don't do anything rash unless he makes a break for it, I want to get the hostage away before any of that happens" she muttered in a quiet tone.

Rosa continued on into the damaged store, she could see several damaged cases around her but mostly kept her attention on the man and hostage "I am with those people, yes, but it's not my intention to harm anybody, what I'm concerned about now is the safety of you and that hostage there" she explained, in a soft tone, she kept her posture open, hands by her sides, figuring it was better to show at this point she was no threat at least where weapons were concerned.

She nodded towards the bag of jewellery at his feet "What's this stuff for if I can ask?"

Absentmindedly shoving the bag to side with his foot, the robber muttered incoherently before saying directly to Rosa "It's.. I.. I need it." Keeping the gun trained on Rosa, he looked down and to the side for a few moments, again rambling to himself. His free arm was wrapped tightly around the hostage, though not enough to where he was choking him. The hostage seemed to be calmer than he was before, though he certainly seemed frightened, as would be expected of a man whose life was in danger.

The man with the gun was still just as tense as before, though he didn't seem to be as frantic as he was before. "Not your intention.. th-then, what are you going to do?" The firearm in his hand trembled, though if Rosa was observant, she'd be able to notice his finger was alongside the trigger guard, rather than inside of it. "Y-you think j-just talking is going to get rid of my problems?!"

Meanwhile, while the robber's attention was on Rosa, one of the DD officers would have slipped away unnoticed, while the other waited outside the front of the shop. Rosa would receive a message in her ear, through the comms. "I'm in position, watching the back upon your command."

Rosa kept her gaze on the gunman, she found it hard to ignore the gun trained on her, whilst she could see his finger alongside the trigger guard she knew it would still only take him a second to shoot. Running a hand through her almost white coloured hair she shrugged "What am I going to do? . . . you see I'm in a difficult situation here, you have a gun, a hostage and a bag of stolen goods . . . I just don't want anyone to come to harm, so first what I'm going to do is ask you to lay down the weapon, and let the hostage go so we can at least discuss this fairly . . . you must be desperate to go through all of this"

She gestured to the hostage and the area around him. Rosa knew too well what people could be capable of, desperate times had called for desperate measures. Although she had never found herself in this situation with a hostage, her father hadn't put her through this kind of training exactly. Once she knew the officers were in place she gestured to the gun again "Are you going to lay down? so we can discuss this properly?"

"I.. I.." The disheveled man looked down at his captive, his grip loosening slightly from around the hostage's neck. Just enough for the poor man to wrench himself free, and scrambled to hide behind Rosa. In response, the gunman's weapon snapped back up, with him looking just as frantic as before.

"I can't! I need this!" He knelt down to pick up the bag. Without his hostage, he was panicking more than ever before. His finger was resting against the trigger now.

Meanwhile, Amatsu was watching intensely in the observation room. "What will you do now?" He said to nobody in particular.

One danger was out of the way, but now Rosa would find herself needing to make a decision, and soon. Will she attempt to placate the robber again, or take a more direct approach in neutralizing him? Both paths would have particular dangers and advantages to them.

Rosa raised her hands again as the gun was raised towards them. She had hoped to remove the hostage had gone more smoothly but now she knew time was running out.
The officers had the exits covered, so this guy wouldn't be escaping, that, however, wasn't her primary concern, her concern was the hostage was still in reach of the gunman and she needed to de-escalate the situation. Rosa felt that talking had worked but now this wasn't going to be the safe option with the man's finger against the trigger.

Rosa glanced down at the hostage, and back to the gunman before shaking her head "I understand you're desperate but this isn't the way to do this" she muttered softly, she whispered her cryo-kinesis spell under her breath, the temperature of the air dropping rapidly, whilst she could easily handle this temperature drop, it wouldn't be a rapid change for the gunman and hostage, however she needed to utilise the water molecules in the icy air for her spells to work. Rosa sighed softly "I'm asking you nicely to please put down the gun, for your own safety, mine and this man, I'm going to warn you only once that should you refuse I will need to use magic and force the weapon from your hands, so please don't make me do this, if we can resolve this peacefully then I would prefer that" she explained, whilst placing a hand on the hostage, due to how cold she was the hostage soon freeze, it would immobilise him for a while but he couldn't technically be killed this way, and she could thaw him out after dealing with the gunman.

As desperate as the man seemed to be, his gun-wielding hand still trembling, he didn't seem to want to pull the trigger. For what reason was anyone's guess. However, as Rosa's spell began to take effect, it would show that while he was foolish, he wasn't completely stupid. The temperature of the room was steadily declining, and he was able to see his breath. The sweat that coated his firearm and his body started to freeze. And it clicked in his brain what was happening.

Though his shivering teeth, he managed to get out "Y-y-y-you b-b-bitch.." He attempted to fire the gun at Rosa, but it was unable to launch its contents. Click. Nothing happened. A blank expression formed on the robber's face as it dawned on him how screwed he was. The gun was frozen, and was unable to spark the combustion to fire. He opened his mouth as though to say something, but would pivot in place and dart out of the room, going out the back door.

At this point, all it would take would be Rosa's word that the man was escaping out the back, and he would get taken out by the Officer waiting for him. Or she could try to stop him before he even got that far, if she wanted to seem even more impressive.

Rosa didn't flinch as the man attempted to fire his gun, it was a move she had been expecting and she felt fortunate her spell was effective. As the man spun on his feet she knew where he intended to go and mentally patted herself on the back for making sure the exits were covered "Our gunman is heading to the back exit, be prepared to detain him, I'm going to attempt to restrain him before he reaches the door" she muttered through the comms before running after the gun-wielding man.

Which didn't take a great deal of speed as the sub-zero temperatures, the cold would be enough to make the heart work harder to pump the blood around the body, the low pressure of the air would cause the muscles to constrict and tighten as the pressure continued to decrease, therefore, in turn, making it difficult to run, and more likely to cause spasms and shivering. Once Rosa caught up she considered where to restrain the man, her spell made her own body temperature incredibly cold, and having skin to skin contact could be deadly, effectively increasing the speed of freezing, which was not her aim.
At the running speed, Rosa in the heat of the moment decided to aim for the legs, using her Frigokinesis spell and the water in the air Rosa aimed her hand towards the gunman's foot, a block of ice should appear on his foot, effectively keeping him in one place in order for Rosa to restrain him.

Rosa wasted no hesitation and placed both hands on the shoulders of the gunman, the clothing at least would protect him from flash freezing, she then, using her right leg pushed quickly, although not too hard against the back of the man's knee, the leg of which ice would be forming around the foot at a rapid pace, the shock of the cold would hopefully be enough, and combined with the pressure against his knee to make him fall backwards.​

Rosa's actions would go almost exactly as she had hoped. With the ice-cold temperatures, the robber was much slower than he would have been otherwise. She easily caught up to him, and in no time at all, would have him neutralized in a prison of ice.

A few seconds after this happened, an alarm blared throughout the area, and a holographic screen popped up in front of Rosa.

Hostage Situation Exercise... COMPLETED

Objective: With the aid of your fellow officers, rescue the civilian being held hostage. PASSED

Parameters: The exercise will be failed if the hostage or any allies are killed
PASSED

Amatsu's voice rang out over the megaphones set up around the STA. "Acceptable performance. Report back to me, Ms. Romano."

The two DD Officers that acted as Rosa's allies filed into the room, the one that was watching the front clapping her on the shoulder and giving her a smile. "Nice job, kid." The other one nodded, and leaned in close to her. "The Vice Pres is a hell of a douche, but he knows a good candidate when he sees one. After that performance, I'm sure you're more than guaranteed to have gotten in."

The half-frozen man on the ground spoke up through chattering teeth. O-o-k-kay, n-now that th-that's over, c-c-can I f-fu-fricken g-get thawed n-now?"

Rosa stepped away from the gunman as the alarm sounded in her ears, the screen appearing in front of her almost instantly.
She grinned at the printed Passed on the screen, for a moment she had doubted her ability to get through the exercise.

She nodded her head towards the DD Officers, surprised by one of their forward remarks about the Vice President, she had never really interacted with Amatsu until today so she was going to judge him just yet based on others comments. "Thank-you for supporting me, good team work" she spoke cheerfully before realizing she had forgotten to raised the temperature and the poor man was still half frozen on the floor.
Carefully Rosa raised the temperature, raising it too quickly could have harmful effects on both her and the man, once he had thawed she pulled him to his feet "You should probably go warm up in a bath or something, not too hot though" she explained before reporting back to the office to see Amatsu.​

Back