Ideas and procedure for a monster character?

A year ago I was after doing the same thing and had no idea where to start. Well then I got to thinking about the usual character builds. So I made myself a character sheet and labeled it for a Monster. Just to see where it may lead me.

My advice would be to Make a CS, put down what type of monster your thinking similar too to start. Then try and develop a basic appearance, powers, strengths, weakness. Why they are a monster, what made them, or even how they came to be?

Once you have a start on this for an idea. You could try drawing on paper if you like art. If not ask a friend what they maybe see or even look up different pre-made monsters from movies or even other artist. After that the building a final product is easy.

The monster I made is basically a mix between an image from the creatures in Homes for Particular Children that most can not see. Then I added creatures body parts to get a structure. By the end it was a lion, Komodo Dragon, Gorilla, Goat, and Praying Matus build. Let's just say it was the first and only A I had gotten all computer art semester.

In the pathfinder advanced race guide there's a pretty good framework for designing a custom race within a certain power bracket.

I'm going to step in here and say, as a Pathfinder player, the ARG Race Creator is not a good framework - it is very simple to create overpowered creatures/races in terms of the system, and while you certainly want to give people a challenge/scare them a bit with how strong a creature is, you don't want to tip the scales to simply unbeatable unless you're going Lovecraftian. Additionally, the Race Creator doesn't give you any real reasoning for each of the things you could buy as a bonus or penalty - it doesn't exactly help you develop actual lore and explanations for a creature's powers, and personally, that's a weakness.

Back