Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Illumene City: Illumene Plaza

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Tiko

The restaurant that Whisper and Dominic had finally settled on was an elegant outdoor establishment. It was edging towards twilight by now, but the spring had driven the cold chill from the evening air and it was pleasantly cool tonight.

Around them the place was well lit and the waiting staff attentive. The atmosphere was pleasant enough as well, as was the sweeping decor and the green vines that grew along the latticework of the small fences that partitioned their table off from the others.

Across the street the bright lights of the city lit the evening up with neon signs, and the headlights of cars winked in and out as they swept past.

It was a nicer establishment than Whisper would have chosen on her own, but it was likely less high end than Dominic was accustomed to. Modestly elegant.

It was nice, Whisper thought. To simply sit here and enjoy an evening without looking over her shoulder, or worrying that someone might recognize her and land a SWAT team crashing dinner. Keeping around Dominic's more wealthier lifestyle in a place like Wing City hadn't made it easy for her to stay low profile, and it had left a constant anxiety hanging over her. Fortunately with a galaxy to separate them from Terra, she needn't worry about that anymore.

She flushed lightly as she realized her mind was everywhere but here. Dominic had been saying something, but she couldn't recollect the words.

"I'm sorry," she offered sheepishly. "What were you asking?"

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Ronin and Tiko

Dominic smiled. "How's your work going?" he repeated the question, "'Special Projects' something, right?" He knifed a piece of meat on his plate. "Seems pretty boring if you're holed up in that drafty administration complex. What do they have you doing right now?"

He had yet to mention anything of Kianna or his discussion with her. The conversation thus far had been lighthearted. This was the first Dominic had inquired into her 'work' all evening.

____

"Sometimes boring isn't so bad," Whisper replied.

Dominic didn't often ask into her work, and it left her somewhat uncomfortable. It wasn't that she didn't trust Dominic, it was just that it wasn't her place to decide if he was trustworthy or not. If she let out that the valuable alien prisoners were being held in the Administration Complex, she would be in a world of trouble. She opted for a vague answer.

"And I'm just involved in some intelligence work. We probably shouldn't talk about it," she explained as she picked at her plate.

"What about you? Did you make any headway on the Mira situation after I left?" she asked.

She didn't look at him as she asked, seemingly transfixed on her food for the moment. She had never told him why she had taken an interest in the Mira matters, nor had she ever made mention that she had personal history with the Mira, and that she had once known Leonis, the Shief that Dominic's father had put a bounty on.

____

"Sort of..." Dominic winced, "I ... talked ... with my dad. We reached a compromise. He's going to stop encroaching on those people's lands." He forked a bite into his mouth and chewed thoughtfully. "He'll pack up as soon as he gets what he came for, which, he assures me, won't take much longer than it already has. I guess the important thing is that he's going to stop killing the natives and taking their territory."

"And I'm just involved in some intelligence work. We probably shouldn't talk about it."

"Okay," Dominic smiled with a nod. His emotions spiked with confusion, frustration, concern and sadness. "I'm not sure how long you're staying here, but I think we should try and see each other more before you get shipped off to Zeus-knows-where." He picked up his knife and began cutting into his meat. "I was looking over the layout of the planet. There's some really cool stuff around here. I was thinking we could visit this museum I've been reading about. 'Museum of History', I think it's called. Pretty famous." His eyes lit up. "Oh, and the country! There's this gorgeous waterfall in a nature reserve to the south of the city. There are these crystal formations growing along the wall of the cliff that refracts the light..."

He droned on, talking of places they should go, things they should do, experiences he wanted to share with her. He wouldn't mention her job or work for the rest of the night.

____

"That would be nice," Whisper replied with a faint smile. "And it's not all that bad, the being shipped around. I'm protecting Isiria, a place that used to be my home," she reminded him lightly. "Besides, there's something I haven't told you. I'm leaving the SPD when I go back to Langara, once I'm not needed here anymore." Her eyes shifted down to her plate again. "Though if I'm truthful, I don't know what I'll do with myself once I return to civilian status," she admitted. For all the hatred and loathing she had for the SPD, she didn't know how to do much else anymore. There was no mistaking the shift in her demeanor, and she seemed troubled.

____

"Don't sell yourself short," Dominic replied, "there's a lot you can do once you leave military life behind." He grinned. "I, for one, would love to have an intelligent woman like yourself on my personal team. I could use someone to keep me out of trouble. Nik does his best, but he's not always around." He smiled for a moment before growing more serious. "...though if I had a say in it, I would want you to take some time off. I'm not sure if work is what you need right now. Maybe ... go back to Lorhill?" he offered gently, ' ... see your family? That brother and sister you told me about?"

He wiped his mouth with his napkin and took a sip of his beverage. "Or we could go back to Leonis?" he offered, "spend some time at the manor? A little R&R, just the two of us." He smiled. "Gods know I could use it."

____

He always managed to make things sound so simple, so easy... but there were other variables at play here that made things more complicated than all that. She swallowed hard.

"Dominic, I'm pregnant."

She hadn't meant to tell him, not here and now anyways, and certainly not so abruptly. She had spent the last few weeks going over it in her head so many times that when it had wormed its way back into her thoughts, she had simply blurted it out before she had time to think about it.

It was talk of Leonis that had prompted it. She would love nothing more than to take him on that offer, but he needed to know what was going on.

____

Dominic froze, his glass still at his lips. He looked at Whisper with wide eyes before swallowing.

"...woah..." he managed. He brought the glass back down on the table and calmly wiped his mouth once more with his napkin. A million different questions and a million more different emotions swirled around his psyche. There was a silence between them.

"...it is... mine?" Dominic couldn't imagine that Whisper was with anyone else, but it was worth asking. They weren't, after all, officially an 'item'. Any commitment or loyalty they shared was the result of an unsaid understanding and affection.

...plus, Dominic still knew so little about her past. For all he could gather, she very well could have had some Isirian boyfriend stashed away somewhere in the planet.

____

Whisper couldn't quite find the words to answer that question, so she simply nodded.

"I should have told you sooner, I just didn't know how..."

She had lost her appetite and she set her fork down. The swirl of emotions going through Dominic was making it difficult for her to assess his feelings on the matter. For the moment, she was blind to what lay beneath that tumult of conflicted emotions.

____

But the next moment he was at her side. His hands enveloped her own and he beckoned her to look at him.

"Hey, hey, hold on," he was smiling, "look, maybe that wasn't the right question to ask. I guess I should start by saying that ... I'm ... happy." He laughed. "Yes, I'm very happy. That's ... honestly that's the best news I've heard in a long time. Maybe the best news I've ever heard." His body thrummed with positivity, joy coursing through him like warm blood. There were other feelings of course, remnants from his previous tempest of passion. Doubt, confusion, worry, and (perhaps most foreign of all) insecurity ... all these operated within him at a subtle level. But above all, there was happiness, a pure, incorruptible elation at the news that Whisper was bearing his child.

"There's a lot we have to do," Dominic nodded, "and a lot we have to plan for and prepare for, but tonight..." His hand gently rested itself over her abdomen. "Tonight can we just celebrate this? Tonight can we just be together and be happy with each other?"

____

Whisper moved her hand to rest over top of Dominic's and her eyes searched his hesitantly. She could feel his joy, she could hear his words, but she couldn't quite shake that inkling of doubt and worry that lingered beneath the surface.

His question brought a smile to her lips though.

"Only tonight?" she asked.

There was almost a playfulness to her inquiry.

"If we only have one night to be happy, where do you propose we start?" she asked.

____

"Anywhere," Dominic smiled, laughing, "everywhere. It doesn't matter. We could wander around the plaza and visit every shop in the marketplace. Get enough cheesy souvenirs and T-shirts to drown in. Or we could go to that massive fountain in the plaza and throw obscene amounts of money into it. Wish for everything from eternal youth to good-tasting vegan pizza."

His eyes were lit up with joy, his body thrushed with pleasure. "Or..." he leaned in close. He rested his forehead against her own. "...we could just go to Ariel. Lie out on the grass, beneath the stars." He smiled. "We could do anything you want. I wouldn't care. As long as I'm doing it with you."

____

Whisper's hands found Dominic's own and she entwined her fingers with his. There was a coy smile playing at her lips as his forehead rested against her own.

"Do you dance?" she asked.

It seemed like another lifetime ago that she had last danced, since she had last ridden the exhilaration that came with it. She wanted to feel that again. She wanted to feel the masses wash over her, and to ride the heartbeat of the city. She wanted to... feel alive again.

____

Dominic grinned. "I seem to recall telling you that I'm an excellent dancer. Learned most of it on Valore." He perked a brow. "Though I don't know much about Isirian dancing. Maybe you can teach me?"

The question was where they would go. Dominic supposed that depended on what sort of dancing she wanted to do.

____

"There's a night club, about two blocks from here," Whisper told Dominic. "I suspect you could get us both in," she told him. Again there was that coy smile playing at her lips as she laced her fingers with his own.

"I haven't been out dancing in..."

She shook her head.

"Far too long," she finished. "Come on," she said as she got up tugging at his hands to encourage him towards joining her in leaving once the bill was paid.

____

"Alright, alright," Dominic laughed, laying down the bills as Whisper took him out of the restaurant. This certainly was a surprise. Though Jacquelyn had asked him about dancing before, he never supposed that she'd be forward enough to dance with him in a place as public as a night club.

She was being considerably more... forward... as well. He wasn't complaining, but he did find it peculiar. He'd watch her closely for the rest of the night...

____

The thrum of the music filled the nightclub as Whisper let it roll through her. The reverberations of it left her skin tingling, and her pulse quickening to the rhythm. Her senses were on fire, her awareness heightened by the emotions of the crowd that roiled through her, and Dominic in turn.

Just touching her was enough to leave him as breathless and lost in the sea of emotions as she was. It was invigoratingly intoxicating having that many people in her head at once, and Dominic was getting the overflow.

She turned into him and guided his hands to her hips as her eyes found his and there was a fire in them that was uncharacteristic of Whisper. There was a glow to her skin and a warmth to her breath as she hooked her arms around his neck, her lips hovering close to his own.

She had missed this.

There was a part of her that knew it wasn't real though, that it wouldn't last. She didn't love Dominic, not really. She was fascinated by him, but there was no love there. Not within her current state of mind anyways.

____

And Dominic played along. His body moved with hers, his blood racing under the heat of her passion. Her hips rolled beneath his hands, her breath hot on his lips ... Her world was on fire. Everything about her was fire. Dominic watched as she raged across the club like an inferno, feeding and strengthening herself on the hurricane of emotions swirling around them. He admired her and wanted her and feared her all at once.

But above all he denied her. Above all he withheld the innermost sanctum of his passion from her quenchless flame. It was not hers to have.

When they had danced their fill (for the moment), Dominic would lead her to a nearby booth and order some drinks for the two of them.

"So," he looked at her, nodding, "what's your name?"

____

Dominic drew her from the dance floor, but she didn't seem to want to sit about. She snaked her arms around him from behind and rested her chin on his shoulder. She liked his warmth, and the thrum of his heartbeat. She could feel it now, pumping his lifeblood through his veins.

"I don't drink, it dulls the senses," she purred.

A mischievous smile played at her lips as he asked her name and she let her arms fall away. Rather than taking the seat at the booth she hoisted herself up to sit on the edge of the booth. She leaned back on her arms, seemingly casual about her movements as she watched Dominic.

"Airlia," she finally told him.

She found it curious that he had danced with her, if he had known she wasn't Jacquelyn.

____

"Water then, for the lady," Dominic nodded to a tender as he scurried away with their order. He would allow Airlia her playful actions, but wouldn't indulge or reciprocate beyond basic physical acknowledgement. A touch of her hand. A light stroke on her arm.

"Airlia," he repeated the name, "does Jacquelyn know what's going on right now?"

____

"I'm not sure," Whisper replied truthfully. "Probably not though. I don't think she's fully... aware."

She shrugged.

"If you knew I wasn't her, then why all of this?" Whisper asked.

As the water was placed on the table she picked it up and took a sip of it. There were beads of sweat on her skin from the physical exertion of dancing, and the cool water was refreshing.

____

Because I want to get to know you too," Dominic said plainly, "you seem to know an awful lot about me already." In his studies in abnormal psychology, Dominic remembered that most persons suffering from Dissociative Identity Disorder have a 'host' personality that usually was the rational grounding upon which all the other personas branched off of. He also noted that DID personas often followed certain archetypes, such as the 'protector' or the 'criminal' ... and, of course, the 'sensualist'. Airlia certainly seemed to fit that bill.

"You do know about Jacquelyn, then," Dominic nodded, "how many others are there?"

____

"We met before," Whisper offered as an explanation as to how she was familiar with him. "In Terra, during the shooting when you asked me to take you back."

"And yes, I know about her. Some of us are more aware than others," she explained.

She seemed to find his question somewhat amusing.

"Six. Do you plan to get to know everyone?" she asked.

She suspected he wouldn't make much headway with that, but she had no reason to try and stop him either. He had already figured it out, and she found some satisfaction in being recognized. It felt good to exist in the eyes of another.

____

Dominic perked a brow. "That was you?" So his first kiss with Jacquelyn hadn't been with Jacquelyn at all.

"I'd know them all, if I can," he nodded, "I may already know a few." He took his drink in his hands and took a sparse sip. "You see to know a lot about Jacquelyn and the others. Maybe you can help me."

____

Whisper slid down off the booth and onto Dominic's lap where she straddled him in his chair. It was rather forward for in such a public place, but with the pulse of the music thrumming through the crowds, no one seemed to be paying them any mind. She hooked her arms around his neck as she settled down comfortably.

"Is that so?" she asked.

She seemed amused.

"And how do you propose I do that?" she inquired.

____

"By talking to me," Dominic said plainly, "and helping me to understand the workings of Whisper's collective psyche." He did not resist as Airlia mounted him, though he certainly did nothing to encourage her.

"I'd like us to be friends, Airlia," Dominic continued, "I regard you as your own person - that means I want to get to know you on a individual level, but it also means that you won't be getting the same treatment that I give Jacquelyn. Frankly, I don't trust you like I trust her. As it stands now, I think of you as one of Jacquelyn's friends." He cleared his throat. "...a friend that is currently straddling the father of her friend's child." He smiled, his expression warm but devoid of any flirtatious mannerisms. "Unless this is just a very elaborate way of shaking my hand?"

____

Whisper didn't get off his lap, but she did let her arms slip from his neck so she could sit back, and converse at a slightly less intimate distance.

"You think you know Jacquelyn, but you don't," Whisper replied with a scowl. "Jacquelyn is gone, and has been for a very long time. This woman you think you know is just a shell. She doesn't even know what she is. Everything you know about her, everything you value in her, your memories with her. They're just fragments of the rest of us. She doesn't exist, not as you envision her."

Whisper narrowed her eyes on him.

"You say you don't trust me as you trust her," she continued. "But it was me who stood at your side in the slum those many months ago. Me who you trusted your life with. How can you say you trust her, when you don't even know which moments and which memories were shared with her."

____

"Maybe that's why I do know her," Dominic replied calmly, "maybe the Jacquelyn I trust is a different Jacquelyn than you remember." He smiled. "...maybe I'm in love with a shell."

He leaned back. "Here's what I know, Airlia. I met a girl on a roof with bandages on her eyes. Since I first took her hand I've been striving to do everything I can to help her. Don't ask me why. I don't entirely understand it myself." He looked up at her. "But I know this - I don't care for Jacquelyn on account of what she was or what she's lost. I want to learn about those things, certainly, but only to better care for her. The truth is that I want her as she is now ... broken, fallen little thing that she may be. I want to keep her close. Safe." He nodded. "...and, if possible, put her back together."

He withdrew a steadying breath and reached for his drink. He was vaguely amused by the fact that Airlia was still straddling him.

"You can help me do that," he nodded, "or you can argue semantics."

____

"She's not Jacquelyn," Whisper bit out. There was anger flashing in her eyes and she stood up, agitated and restless. "Jacquelyn was a selfish whore who spent her whole life making shitty decisions that the rest of us have had to live with. She's gone, and she's never coming back. That woman you think is Jacquelyn is not Jacquelyn."

"This woman in your head, she doesn't exist. These memories that make up your perception of 'Jacquelyn', are just pieces of different people. The one you shared poetry with atop that rooftop? Alessia. The woman you bedded is named Whisper. This person you think you love is just a facade, an illusion. We're the faces that lie beneath that. Those memories are our memories. This person in your head was forged through us."

Whisper's agitation was beginning to draw attention and people were beginning to give the pair a wide birth as they moved past through the night club.

____

Dominic frowned. It seems he and Airlia were at an impasse. Didn't she realize that all those qualities she loathed Jacquelyn for were precisely the qualities he treasured most? Whereas it seemed Arlia scorned Jacquelyn's weakness, Dominic valued it.

"I think we're not understanding each other," Dominic said gently, "you must understand, there's still so little I know about Jacqu-" He smiled. "...Whisper. That's why I'm talking with you now, to better understand." He nodded patiently. "If that was you back in the Slums, then you have my thanks. I appreciate what you did for me." He relaxed, projecting an air of calmness. Perhaps refusing to elevate his own aggression would lower Airlia's.

"If you're aware of what Whisper does, then you probably already know a lot about me," Dominic nodded, "I'm curious ... why did you help me that night in the Slums?"

____

"You refuse to understand," Whisper bit back. "And why does it matter why I did it? The things we did don't matter, because I'm not her. The kiss we shared, the danger we put ourselves in to keep one another alive. None of it matters, because you can't shake this false perception that this woman in your head is real, and you'll cut away everything else as you become aware of us. But those were our memories. You learning that our names aren't all Jacquelyn doesn't make those memories any less real for us. You may want to remember that as you cut pieces away to preserve a façade."

It would seem Dominic had overlooked the fact that more than one of the entities within Whisper had interacted with him, and that he might have inadvertently reciprocated moments of intimacy with more than one of them before he became aware of their presence. Perhaps not the sexual intimacy he had engaged in with Whisper, but certainly emotional intimacy.

"Once you've come to terms with the fact that the woman you think you love, doesn't exist, come find us," Whisper told him as she moved to leave.

____

"Airlia..." Dominic rose quickly after her, "...please. Sit down." He had offended her somehow, though he still wasn't exactly sure what he'd done. He'd made no comment towards her personally or insulted her in any way... what had set her off?

Glancing around, he noticed the throng of club ravers observing the scene, keeping their distance but still interested in other people's disputes in that way humans are. Dominic briefly wondered if this pleased Airlia... if she liked being at center stage, feeling the emotional attention of others direct towards her ... or if she just liked to be emotionally immersed in general.

He knew that he didn't want her to leave ... but more importantly, he didn't think she wanted him to let her leave. What was the most effective way of grabbing her attention? He recalled the only time he had definitively met Airlia. She'd kissed him then. Some part of her must of liked him if she'd been willing to do that. What had influence her behavior then? What had Dominic been doing that had attracted her to him?

He had a hypothesis. Time to rest it.

Quick as he could, Dominic searched the depths of his emotional constitution and summoned the most powerful memories he'd shared with Whisper to the forefront of his mind. He thought of his first meeting with her ... their leisure time spent together at Leonis ... the trials faced in the slums ... a night of passion in his hotel ...

All of these memories and subsequent emotions they bore swirled in Dominic's head in brief chaos. In the next moment, the Aschen's mind had neatly organized and ordered the feelings, drawing upon those that had made him feel most happy, most appreciative, most in love. These he let dominate his mind most of all, careful to keep his emotional out pour checked within the limits of his reason. It wasn't a raging typhoon of passion, but rather, a carefully structured medley of feeling - a well orchestrated symphony of affection.

"Just, please..." he drew a deep breath, "...turn around. Understand how badly I want to understand you." He wasn't sure if he could say anything more than his feelings already had. The only real blight on his feelings for Whisper was how little he knew about her - a fact that brought him no end of confusion, frustration, pain and sadness. How could he help her if he didn't even know who she was?

____

Whisper turned, but it wasn't anger in her eyes that he would be met with. Regret perhaps?

"Dominic... "

She stood there among the crowd of people milling past her - just a wisp of a girl lost among the sea of bodies. Dominic briefly would lose sight of her as people walked between them and it seemed as if she might be swept away with them, but she stood her ground.

"I'm sorry," she told him simply.

It was difficult to say what she was apologizing for. The anger had drained from her voice and she just seemed tired. The crowds, the noise of the music blaring. It had taken on an overwhelming edge and she rubbed lightly at her brow as if to soothe a headache.

"Let's get out of here, and I'll explain everything."

____

Dominic nodded, walking forward towards her.

"C'mon. We can go to my place." He took her hand in his. "Get some quiet."

If she didn't resist, he would lead her out of the nightclub.

as written by Ronin and Tiko

The door to Dominic's room opened with a soft 'click', permitting entry to Hagan and Whisper.

"Make yourself at home," he nodded to her, shrugging off his jacket as he walked in, "I just checked in this morning - was staying on my ship before this." He looked quietly about the living space, the quarters bedecked with Isirian artwork and the latest in Illumene interior design fashion. Though he didn't mind the decor, Dominic hadn't picked Icyene as his place of residence during his stay on Arastel for its aesthetic appeal.

"So," he ran a hand through his hair, "...what's your name?"

____

Whisper hesitated and she looked away from him. "Alessia," she finally said. It didn't come easily to speak the name.

She moved through the room, but she didn't take a seat. A painting caught her eyes, and she looked at it quietly as she tried to sort out where to go from here.

"I suppose you have questions," she finally said. She closed her eyes briefly. "It wasn't my intent to deceive you. Things shouldn't have gotten to this point. I... underestimated Whisper's feelings for you... and yours for her. I didn't want this for you. I'm sorry."

____

"There's nothing to apologize for," Dominic replied calmly, "I'm just happy that I'm finally getting some answers." He gestured toward a nearby couch. "Please. Sit with me."

Once settled, Dominic would make a brief but thorough examination of Alessia's mannerisms, quickly studying and memorizing every observable facet of her physical character. The way she carried herself... any fidgets or habits she'd be prone to... even the way she sat down - very little would escape him.

"I understand we've met once before..." he began slowly, "...that night in Caprica on the roof. We read poetry together."

____

Whisper smiled faintly at the memory of the poem.

"We have met many times," she explained as she crossed the room and sat down. She moved slowly, her steps lingering but purposeful. Much as she had within Dominic's gardens back in Leonis. It had been she who had enjoyed the afternoon sun and the trees that day, the scent of fresh flowers that reminded her so much of New Haven.

"I don't even know where to begin."

____

Dominic smiled. "Well then. Let's catch up."

He began simple. "Why don't you tell me about yourself? What your relation is to Jacquelyn?" He nodded. "...maybe what 'triggers' you, if there's anything specific that draws you out. Airlia seems pretty intuitive." He perked a brow. "You are aware of your... 'condition', right? You know about the others?"

____

Whisper seemed tired, in that way that sleep won't cure, and Dominic's question drew that over her like a heavy blanket.

"Jacquelyn... was my sister," she explained. "She died... many years ago."

She had spoken of a sister to Dominic previously, but she hadn't revealed what had come of her until now. She smiled sadly. "And yes, I'm aware. I was the first, in a sense. It's difficult to establish a time line. We're people, the same as you... even if we weren't birthed in the same manner. Our memories are real to us, even the false ones. But I was there to watch Jacquelyn grow from a child into a woman, and I was there too at the end when she died."

____

"I'm very sorry," Dominic said softly. If Jacquelyn really was dead, then he supposed her passing had been particularly hard on her sister. He noticed the heaviness in her voice - the weariness with which she elaborated in her condition. He supposed this wasn't the easiest topic to discuss, but Dominic needed answers. He was just happy that Alessia was more receptive than Airlia had been.

"I won't ask for too many details into your history," he said, before smiling, "...I don't suppose we could summarize everything into a single night's talk anyway. Perhaps, instead, you could tell me about some of the other people that inhabit this body? Airlia mentioned that there were quite a few. Are they all still ... 'active'?" He looked seriously at her. "...and are any of them dangerous?"

"Also, when I first met Whisper she introduced herself as 'Jacquelyn Rose'," Dominic said, "why would she use that name if Jacquelyn died a long time ago?"

____

"Because she thinks she is Jacquelyn," Whisper explained. "She has no name to call her own, because that wasn't her purpose. Jacquelyn Rose is the name we all share for birth records, and medical records, and so that is who she believes herself to be."

"We named her Whisper - the name we all share - because... in a sense she is. She knows nothing of the rest of us, and maintains no memories from prior to her birth five years ago. She is the face of Whisper, a face behind which the rest of us might exist."

She smiled then, softly.

"As for the others... are you dangerous, Dominic?" Whisper inquired. "May is a recovering drug addict, Airlia is young and rebellious, Pythia is schizophrenic... we all have our flaws. As I'm sure you have yours. There will always be risks and dangers to the collective. Even Whisper's decision to lie with you carries an element of danger for the rest of us. Suppose May or Pythia were to find themselves eight months pregnant, with no recollection of how?"

____

"Which is what worries me," Dominic replied, "if all of you were aware of each other, it would be easier. Since you're not, I have to assume that Whisper's..." he chose his words carefully, "...less than rational personalities... will manifest at some point in the future, at which time I assume they will be completely and utterly confused." He shook his head. "I can't have that. Whisper means too much to me to risk losing her over an oversight on my part. It's my desire to meet with Whisper's personalities, every one of them, and form some semblance of a relationship with them." He nodded. "Or at least get them to understand that I mean them no harm."

____

Whisper smiled softly once more.

"She cares a great deal for you, you know. You make her happy, which is something she hasn't had in a very long time. I see a lot of Jacquelyn in her..."

Her smile fell then and she shook her head.

"What you seek is too dangerous at the moment. There's too much at stake to risk upsetting the balance of things. Whisper's... our futures are riding on the success of repelling the Avaeon threat from Isiria. When we return to Langara and this matter is behind us... If you still feel as you do now, then I will help you."

____

Dominic nodded. "I'm glad to have your help. Really. I've been so confused lately, getting your input on this..." he smiled, "...well... it's a godsend. I feel much better about all this."

Rising off the couch, Dominic put slack on his tie and walked over to a nearby counter. "Of course, when I said I wanted to have a relationship with the various people that inhabit Whisper's body, I was including you as well," he retrieved a pitcher of water and a glass, looking up at Alessia with a nod. "You've already helped me immensely, Alessia. Perhaps there's something I can do for you?" He took a sip out of the glass, nodding earnestly. "Anything at all, really. I'm still not sure how deeply our experiences together run, but..." He paused, unsure what to say. "...I feel like I... know you more." He shook his head. "There's just something more familiar about you than there was with Airlia."

____

"We met in Leonis many times," she replied with a soft smile. "It reminded me of home," she explained.

She drew her legs up to curl them next to her on the couch as she watched Dominic, mulling over his offer to do something for her.

"Just... take care of her," Whisper answered. "Seeing her happy will make me happy. What are your plans?" she asked. She knew there were complications to Dominic being involved with Whisper, his father among them. It was more than that though, and there would be complications from within as well. Once they were free of the special Projects Division, they would be free to move on with their lives... and for some that didn't entail settling down with Dominic in Leonis. And there was of course Dominic himself to take into account. His reputation as somewhat of a playboy preceded him.

It was hard for her to see a future for those two, but who was she to tell them no?

____

"To do whatever I can," Dominic replied easily enough, "and help her put these ... demons of her past to rest." He nodded. "I want to give her a good, happy life, free from the misery and pain she's become so accustomed to. She deserves that." A brief twinge of pain flashed across his face as he said the words. When he spoke again, his voice was slightly harder. "...what sentient being does not deserve that..." He spoke as if challenging anyone to disagree with him.

Shaking his head, Dominic took another sip out of his water. He was collected again. When he looked at Alessia, he had returned to his usual calm.

"It's been a long day," he nodded, "I invite you to spend the night here. You can stay in my room, if you like." He rolled one of his shoulders forward. "I'll take the couch." He cleared his throat. "Just uh..." He looked at her, smiling meekly. "...just... try to still be here when I wake up, if you know what I mean."

____

Whisper smiled a somewhat knowing smile at Dominic's concerns that she might be gone come morning. It was a wry smile though, and as it so often did in the past, it failed to fully reach her eyes. The years had been hard on all of them it would seem.

"There's no need for that," she replied to his offer to sleep on the couch. "Here, take my hands," she told him as she offered them out to him from the couch, palms up.

There was nothing suggestive about the gesture, only a gentle warmth.

____

Dominic took her hands, gently rising to his feet and looking down at Whisper curiously. Alessia was a stark contrast from Airlia, it seemed. Not a sensual bone in her body - at least, not for him. Still, he was determined to forge some kind of relationship with this girl, even if her happiness was directly dependent on the happiness of Whisper's other psyches.

A thought suddenly struck Dominic. During their conversation they'd missed one very important topic.

"There's a child in your belly right now, Alessia," Dominic said softly, his eyes searching, "my child. Even if I didn't consummate it with you, it's still, to a degree, your body." Hers, along with six others. "I need to know that you're okay with having this baby."

____

Whisper pulled herself to her feet by Dominic's hands and his question drew another smile from her. This time it held a depth of warmth to it.

"Nothing would make me happier than protecting this child," she told Dominic.

Jacquelyn's consciousness may be gone... but for all intents and purposes, the child would be her niece or nephew. She would protect and care for it as if it were her own.

"You should be with her tonight," she added. "It's what she needs right now. She's afraid, and confused. You don't want her to wake tomorrow with the last thing she remembers being the restaurant from earlier," she explained.

"Kiss me," she told him gently.

The request was offered much in the same tone as her previous request to take her hands. Despite the nature of the words, there was nothing suggestive or sensual about it.

"Trust me," she added. She didn't want to give the poor man the wrong impression.

____

Dominic was slightly off-put by Alessia's request, but he had a feeling as to where she was going with this. His hands wrapped gently around her waist and her offered her a last nod.

"Thank you," he said once more. He moved his head towards her own and softly brushed his lips against hers. After a handful of seconds, he would retreat slightly, carefully scanning Whisper's face to see who he was dealing with.

____

Whisper slipped her arms around Dominic's neck as she leaned up and kissed him back, softly. When he pulled back, she smiled up at him. It was the same warm smile she had met him with upon the steps of the Administration Center earlier this morning.

"You're sweet, you know that?" she told him.

The smile faltered though as she realized she wasn't sitting anymore, or in fact at the restaurant at all. Memory lapses were a thing of the norm for her, but it could still be unnerving - regardless of what the SPD filled her head with. She moved back and rubbed at her brow to ease the headache that frequent personality shifts often left her with.

"I'm sorry," she murmured.

Her eyes shifted past Dominic to a clock on the wall. She had lost several hours and she rubbed at her arm lightly as if cold.

"Maybe I should get some sleep," she said with an apologetic half smile that didn't quite cover up her abrupt discomfort.

She felt drained, physically.

____

"Don't be sorry for anything," Dominic said plainly. He stepped towards her, eager to dispel her confusion and doubt. Dominic had no idea how much Whisper remembered of their date - for all he knew, her last recollection of their time together had been his initial shock at hearing of her pregnancy. That wasn't how Dominic wanted to end the night. He stepped behind her and laced his hands around her waist, over her stomach.

"Tonight was wonderful," he said, smiling, " ...and learning about this little guy..." His fingers drummed over her belly. "I couldn't be happier. Really. I'm so thankful for you, for both of you." He moved his head down and rested his lips on the back of her neck. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply of her. Happiness flushed through him. Sure, things weren't perfect. There were still problems to work out and mysteries to solve - but none of that mattered right now. He had Whisper, his Whisper, in his arms. All he wanted was to savor the moment for as long as it would last.

____

Whisper woke sometime around two in the morning to the sound of Dominic's quiet breathing beside her. It was nice, waking like this with him here with her. She was curled against his side and her hand was resting upon his chest feeling the steady beat of his heart beneath his finger tips.

She could get used to this she thought with a smile as she pressed her lips to his sleeping shoulder.

Unfortunately their... whatever this was... was banking on a lot of factors that were beyond either of their control. It cast a shadow of doubt over the future, and left the here and the now marred with uncertainties.

It was these doubts that kept her awake, and not wanting to wake him she quietly slipped from the bed. She wrapped herself in one of the sheets as she slipped from the room upon bare feet. It was spring, but the early mornings could still hold a chill to them, and she pulled the sheet more tightly about herself as she found herself standing at an open window in the other room.

She could see the city from up here she thought quietly, and the cool breeze on her face was refreshing as she let her mind wander.

____

"You are walking a dangerous line, little leaf," the voice slithered from the darker shades of the night, from those expanses of empty black between the gleaming lights of the city. He was perched atop a nearby statue just to the right of the window, his black cloak fluttering off of the cracked stone like a tattered flag. His vacant white mask watched her inexpressionably.

"It has been long since we've last seen each other," he noted dryly, "not since Terra. Not since the slums." His head quirked ever-so-slightly, the faintest tinge of curiosity entering his voice. "My parting words to you then - have you thought on them?"

____

Whisper froze, her eyes drawn to Paragon's white mask which she found herself staring at. The peculiarity of his presence here was such that she was more confused than afraid. She glanced towards the room she had come from, and Dominic's name was on her lips but she hesitated and kept quiet.

For all of Whisper's meekness at times, she was unafraid of Paragon. There was something vaguely familiar about him, but she couldn't quite place it, and a vague sense unease and confusion settled over her. It was the unease that comes with a nagging doubt that you're forgetting something important.

"Who are you?" she asked. "I don't know what you're talking about."

The bedsheet that was wrapped about her body preserved her modesty, but she found herself somewhat uncomfortable with her current state of dress - or lack of. It was almost as if the temperature had dropped several degrees since Paragon had spoken to her, and goose bumps were visible along her arms.

____

The mask tilted slightly. He watched her silently for a short while. "...you really don't, do you?" he said at last, "you're not lying. I can tell." He looked away from her briefly, his veiled eyes looking towards the distant lights of the city. "...I wish you understood how hard this makes all of this..."

He looked back at her. One of his hands snaked out from beneath his robes. It was black and gnarled and wrapped in leathery pitch.

"Jacquelyn Rose," his hand hung limp at his side, "...Whisper..." The fingers curled and flexed. Something smooth slipped into his palm. "Fifteen months ago you assaulted the Terran Government Center and killed over one hundred people, including then Prime Minister Cranford. Is this true?" If there was a face behind that mask, it was glowering. "Don't lie to me. I can tell."

____

Whisper's expression fell at Paragon's inquiry, and there was a depth of hurt within her eyes at what he asked her, but she made no effort to object or deny what he was saying.

"Are you here to kill me?" she asked.

It seemed a reasonable assumption under the circumstances, but she still seemed unafraid. Sad and weary perhaps, but not afraid.

____

He looked at her hard and long. "...no." His cloak sputtered in the wind. "Once, yes. A thousand years ago, yes. No longer." For a moment, he almost sounded apologetic. "I'm... trying to be different this time."

His hand returned to his cloak. "Whether you know it or not, Whisper, we've spoken twice before. It seems there are quite a few souls swimming around in that body of yours." A thick gravelly sound escaped his lips. Laughter? "Like the others, I'm willing to offer you a chance. I believe you were made to do what you did against your will. That does not justify your actions, but it does humanize them. I also believe you have already suffered considerably as a result of your crimes, both within your mind and at the hand of he that binds you."

He held up a finger. "My chance is this - renounce him. The Shadow. Renounce his power, renounce his name. Find a way to free yourself from his chains. Live the rest of your life in peace. Do this, and I leave you alone forever. My fight is with the wicked. There is darkness in you, certainly, but not like him."

____

"You ask the impossible," Whisper replied simply.

She found herself watching out over the city instead of looking at Paragon as they spoke. He didn't appear to be an active threat, and so she had let her guard down a bit.

"There are lives outside of my own at stake here..."

She shook her head.

All it would take is one wrong word, and her child would die with her. It was more than that though. This final mission... this one she would have volunteered for.

"War hangs over Isiria. After the war..." she paused for a moment. For all her loathing of the special projects division, part of her was afraid to leave it behind. She pushed those fears aside for the time being. "After the war, I'm retiring from the Special Projects Division, but you have to know I can never leave. Even if He permitted it... I have a life on Langara now... maybe even a family."

She glanced towards the room where she had left Dominic.

Even if she did as Paragon asked. Even if she left Dominic, and fled the chains of the Empire and made a new life somewhere else... All it would take is a word from Mollem... No. She would remain in Langara, where she could ensure the safety of her child.

"I grieve every day for those people who died... who I killed," she said quietly. There was something off about the words though, a hint of hesitation. Rationally she knew it had been her who had killed those people, but the memories of that night were a fog, almost as if it had been a dream she had watched from afar. "I can't undo what happened... but I can ensure more people don't need to die. I'll live out my life on Langara, however long that may be."

____

"And if he asks of you again..." Paragon retorted coldly, "...to kill... to ruin innocent lives... will you?" A low snarl escaped his lips. "You did before, when all he had was your people and your name. Now you have a child. Now he has even more leverage over you." He lifted a merciless finger towards her abdomen.. "Tell me, Whisper, would you kill for that child? Would you destroy the happiness of other people to protect the last shred of happiness in your own life?"

____

"He wont..." Whisper replied. There was doubt in her though. He said he would release her and allow her to live her life in peace within the Empire, but the possibility that he might recall her would always remain. She pulled the sheet tighter about her and shivered, but it wasn't the night air that chilled her. Paragon it would seem had a knack for stirring up her doubts and fears.

She closed her eyes before she spoke again.

"What mother wouldn't kill to protect their child?" she asked. There was an edge of anger to her voice. "Leave us in peace. We have done as you have asked, and your presence and words only serve to torment an innocent woman with memories that aren't even hers."

Whisper turned away from the window to head back inside.

She didn't close the window though as she found her way to the kitchen to pour herself a glass of water, seemingly indifferent to Paragon's presence.

____

But Paragon did not leave her - his darkness hung over Whisper like a shadow, his presence permeating the house and filling its room with a black and foreboding aura.

"How quickly your resolve shifts..." his voice beat a sinister echo throughout the room. Should Whisper turn at that moment, she would find him standing not ten feet away in the open hall. "...a moment ago you expressed your commitment to preserving lives. Now it seems you're ready to kill at a moment's notice." His mask tilted at a curious angle. "I suppose it must be difficult maintaining consistency in a body so... occupied..."

An eyeblink later and he was gone from the hallway. He was behind her - directly behind her - his cold, sickly breath misting against the nape of her neck.

"Know this... whoever you are..." his voice was a crawling, rasping whisper, "let the collective know this... goodness requires sacrifice. So long as Mollem remains your master, you will never find true peace." The whisper became a growl. "And when he forces your hand - when he drives you into sin and murder as he has before - I will be there - and I will deliver justice unto you as it is due..." His hand reached forward, cruel talons curling ominously over her belly.

"...and take from you what little happiness you still have left..."

____

Paragon's lingering threat was the breaking point for the young woman as the glass of water fell from her hand. Paragon's body would jerk as if it was met by an unseen force that slide him back and slammed him spread eagle against the wall at Whisper's back.

She turned then, and he slide higher until his feet no longer touched the floor as she held a palm outstretched towards him. At her back the spilled glass of water was hovering in the air as droplets of water meandered through the air in an almost surreal display as the sloshed liquid had risen into the air with Paragon.

There was fire in her eyes as she locked her gaze upon his, and a whisper in her mind hissed to kill him, to protect them, and protect the child. Her fingers twitched with the impulse to silence the beat of his heart and to remove any possibility that he might one day return to carry out his threat.

Paragon wasn't the enemy though... not really...

She withdrew her hand, pushing that sinister whisper into the deeper recesses of her mind as her telekinetic hold over Paragon abated and he was left to drop back to the floor.

"The next time you threaten that child," Whisper replied levelly, "You had best be prepared to kill us."

It was peculiar perhaps that she spoke of it as if it weren't her own, but Paragon seemed to have a grasp on the nature of her being.

"Get out."

____

A rasped breath escaped Paragon's lungs as Whisper forced him back against the wall. For a moment, he looked trapped - squashed under the weight of Whisper's telekinetic hold.

But when Whisper released him, he didn't fall flat on his face onto the floor. Rather, he remained stuck on the wall, not so much smashed against it so much as he was perched into it.

"Foolish little leaf..." his voice murmured, "I do not threaten, nor do I punish, the innocent..." His frame shifted and blurred, his cloak wrapping around him like a black cocoon. His body dissolved into something like water and mist before seeping into the tile floor and drywall of the kitchen.

"...only the wicked..."

Were Whisper to search for his signature at that point, she would find it resonating all around her. The entire kitchen pulsated with Paragon's sickly presence - it was as if his energy had seeped into every crack and corner of the room.

"...only the guilty..."

He lingered for a moment, his words like writhing shadows on the wall. Then, just as quickly, he was gone. The darkness lifted. The room seemed lighter and quieter.

A cool springtime breeze wafted in from the nearby hallway. The window was still open.

____

Whisper lingered in the kitchen a time before she finally returned to Dominic's room. She left the spilled glass of water where it lay and rejoined Dominic to try and get some sleep. She lay awake for a time, but eventually sleep retook her and by morning she was sound asleep.

It was a restless sleep though and when she opened her eyes, it was eerily dark.

Dominic was gone and she sat up holding the sheets to her chest as she carefully slid from the bed upon bare feet once more. There was movement from the doorway. Had Paragon returned? Or perhaps it was simply Dominic returning to bed...

"Dominic?" she asked.

There was a sinking sense of unease in the pit of her stomach though. She could hear a wet squelching sound as Shaded stepped towards her, tarry black corruption dripping from his body and leaving black footprints upon the carpet.

"What are you doing here..." she whispered.

"You don't really think it's yours, do you?" the figure of Shaded asked as he pointed an outstretched finger towards her stomach.

The sinking unease turned to a stomach roiling revolution as she looked down. The sheet she had wrapped herself in was soaked through with the same black tar that covered Shaded's body, and beneath the sheet her stomach bulged and writhed as something within her tried to claw its way free.

She screamed and doubled over as she caught herself against the bedside stand and when she looked back up Shaded was gone and it was Paragon who had taken his place. Pain and terror tore through her.

"Help me..." she pleaded.

There was no mercy or empathy within his cold eyes though as the Lzothozsh spawn tried to tear itself free from her. His masked face loomed only inches from her own before she woke from the dream with a start. There was the warm glow of the morning light from the window, but it did little to drive off the fear that gripped her. Her heart was racing and she felt feverish and nauseated from the remnants of the dream as she sat up, but once she realized where she was it was easier to still the racing of her pulse. She was at Dominic's place, and she lay back down and curled up against him to rest with her head against his shoulder as she waited for the dream to fade as they often did upon waking. In the meanwhile he made her feel safe, even from her nightmares.

"Lzothozsh..." she murmured softly as the name lingered upon her mind.

She didn't know what the word meant, but she had woke from her dream with the name upon her lips. Hearing it spoken out loud, even by herself made her uneasy though and she pushed it from her mind.

____

Beside her, Dominic stirred slightly. He groaned groggily, bleary eyes looking briefly towards a nearby window at the first rays of dawn brightening the curtain.

He turned slowly over in his side, still only half awake. He looked sleepily at Whisper, his hand reaching out and gently tracing down her bare shoulder. A smile cracked his lips.

"Mmmm," he hummed, "I've been waiting for this..."

____

Whisper offered a half smile back at Dominic. Even with the remnants of her dream still swimming around in her head, this was a pleasant way to start the day she thought.

"I need to get to the Admin Complex soon," Whisper admitted somewhat sadly.

She didn't make any effort to get up though. She wouldn't have minded just staying here in bed all day, if she didn't have the Avaeon prisoners to interrogate today.

"Will you be free again tonight?" she asked hesitantly.

Part of her still couldn't help but wait for the other shoe to fall, or for Dominic to tell her this was all some sick joke. Even at times such as these, she wasn't ever fully engaged with him, and always seemed wary in the way that one is when they've been kicked one too many times.

____

Dominic nodded. "That should be alright. I have some business with some Illumene big wigs here this afternoon, but I think I'll be free in the evening." He rolled one of his shoulders back, wincing at the early-morning strain. "I've been trying to make some contacts around the planet... doing something of a 'corporate tour' around the galaxy. Tech Con's been taking some hits at home - Greystone moving in on our territory on Langara. I need to drum up some foreign capital fast or risk losing contracts." He crooked his elbow against the pillow and rested his head in his palm "This month it's Arastel, next month it's Misrana." He shrugged. "Shouldn't take me more than five or six months to map up, I'm only visiting a few planets. Hopefully you'll be finished with your work here by that time and we can finally get a breather back in Leonis." He smiled, his hands tracing circles into her belly. "Or maybe not. Something tells me we'll have our hands full."

He moved closer, leaning forward and pressing his lips to her shoulder. His hand grazed over her stomach and curved itself snugly around her hip. He eyed the bed stand clock mischievously.

"When... exactly did you say you had to be back at the complex?"

____

She was admittedly a little saddened at the news that he would be gone for so long, but truth be told she had expected as much the day she left Terra. That he was here at all now was something she hadn't anticipated. She couldn't help but wish she could go with him though, that she could see Misrana with him.

Though... just because she couldn't go with him didn't mean she couldn't help him.

"If you want to get Tech Con back in the running... there's an councilman for the Shade Dominion in the city," she told him. The Aschen alliance with the Shade Dominion was young yet, and the presence of one their councilmen right here in Illumene wasn't news that would have circulated very far through the grapevine yet. It offered Dominic an opportunity to get a lead on making contact with the foreign power before any of his competitors, and getting that kind of influence could well give him a much needed edge.

The mischief in his eyes didn't go unnoticed though and she flushed lightly as her own eyes followed his to the clock. She had an hour before she needed to be at the admin complex...

____

Dominic perked a brow. "Really? Wow." An expression of genuine gratitude flashed across his face. "That's ... that's kind of exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for." He nodded slowly. "Seriously. Thank you. This helps a lot..."

His gratitude slowly shifted back to mischief, his excitement only wilder and more heated after Whisper's tip-off. He rolled over her, hooking his arm over her hip and resting his forehead against her brow. "Who knew you were such a little informant..." he grinned, "...makes me wonder what else you're good at that I don't know about..." His lips moved in to cover her mouth before trailing down her cheek. He was biting softly into her neck when his phone, placed near the alarm clock on the bed-stand, began buzzing. Dominic didn't seem to notice.

____

Two days later...

It was better half of the evening and the sun was just beginning to set over the view from Dominic’s penthouse. The young CEO, with Whisper cuddled against his chest, sat relaxed on his couch, flipping through channels on a wide plasma screen.

It’d been a long day for Dominic. Arranging a meeting with the Shade Dominion councilman had been hell, but he’d finally managed to secure a time and place. Aside from that, there was the usual string of patch-ups he had to make regarding his father’s under-the-table corporate operations; Dominic was still feeling the sting of Hagan senior’s misadventures in the Veshrac. Sometimes he felt he spent more time cleaning up after his dad than he did doing actual work for his company…

Still, where he was now, he was happy to get some time to himself and with Whisper. It was a nice respite to sit back and relax with her. They weren’t watching anything in particular - just channel surfing. Ten minutes of an action movie here. A reality show there. Just however long something took until commercials hit.

“You guys have a lot of infomercial channels…” Dominic remarked, amused, “your senior citizen population must live in poverty.”

"I wouldn't know," Whisper answered. "I think the first time I saw a TV was on Valore. You know they don’t even have televisions on New Haven?" she asked. "The people there believe in living simpler lives..."

She trailed her fingertips in light patterns atop his chest as they watched the TV, and she could hear the sound of his breathing with each rise and fall of his chest. It held more of her attention than the television to be truthful. She liked this, just laying here with him, enjoying being physically close to one another.

“It’s said to be the most peaceful planet in Isiria,” she added.

as written by Ronin, and Tiko

Dominic smiled. “You should take me there, sometime. I’d love to see it. The way you’ve described it to me, it must be something.”

He yawned. “I know a little bit about that, though. ‘Living simply’. Besides the time I spent on Akorant, my dad used to take me and my sister out to this old family farm that my grandpa manages. Called it a ‘working vacation’. Tried to make a country boy out of me.” He chuckled to himself. “Didn’t work out too well. I was still something of a brat back then.”

"Only back then?" she asked innocently.

There was a playfulness to her that was beginning to edge out more and more often.

Dominic grinned. He playfully pinched her shoulder.

“Don’t be a twerp,” he chided her, “I’m finally starting to get some genuine respect in the Langaran corporate world. Bratty, playboy Dominic is finally being put to rest.” He looked positively proud. “I haven’t had my face on a celebrity cubit-magazine in months. I think the Empire is finally starting to buy into the message I’ve been trying to send them.”

He turned his head towards her, his lips buried in her hair. “...which is probably a good thing, since I may just end up being a father next time I step foot on Langara, depending on what time I get back.” His hand trailed down her arm and settled over her stomach. “How are you feeling, by the way?”

____

She slid her own hands down to rest over top of his. "Better every day," she told him as a smile graced her lips. "I'm glad you came to Isiria.”

"There's something I wanted to ask..." she shifted her head to get a look up at him. "Do you think we could have it on New Haven?"
She didn't exactly want to tell him that she didn't want to have her child born on Langara, given that he was himself Langaran by birth, but the hesitation was there on her face.

“Sure,” Dominic agreed almost instantly. “That’s perfect. We can take a little bit of time with the child afterward, relax on your homeworld … maybe meet some of your old friends?” He smiled. “I mean Zeus, when’s the last time you were back on New Haven? I’m sure there’s a ton you want to revisit.”

Whisper smiled at that and lay her head back down against him.

"I left when I was nineteen," she told him quietly. "I've never been back."

Dominic whistled. “Nineteen. Wow, that’s…” He stopped suddenly. His brows furrowed. “Wait … how old are you?” It dawned on him that he’d never bothered to ask that question before.

"Twenty-six, I think,” Whisper answered.

She closed her eyes, somewhat drowsy as they talked.

____

“You think,” Dominic mused, smiling. He sat for a short while, his hand joined with hers, savoring the little bit of peace they had together.

After a while, he spoke.

“Y’know I’ve been picking up some of my old storybooks lately,” he said nonchalantly, “y’know, the stuff we used to read together. The gods … Paragon …” He shifted. “ … this one apocalypse-thing … Lzothozsh I think it was…”

Whisper stiffened at mention of the name but said nothing.

If Dominic noticed, he didn’t make any sign. “...it’s weird, I actually found a myth on him on Terra of all places, quite by accident, not even two months ago when I was on-world.” He chuckled. “Spent four years of my life on that planet and didn’t even know they shared the same myth with us. So I’m curious and I do some digging … and what the hell? The Coalition has some of the same stories. It’s like Paragon all over again.” He shook his head.

“I wonder if Isiria has any legends having to do with that guy.” He looked down at her. “Ever heard of any?”

Despite his calm demeanor, he watched her very closely.

“Why are you asking me about this?” she asked as she sat up.

She didn’t for a moment think he had just happened across the name by coincidence.

____

Dominic sighed. He met her eyes and spoke slowly. “There was what I told you…” He paused. “...and then… I… asked the Empress. About your work. I thought maybe she could tell me some of the things you couldn’t.” He shook his head. “I didn’t get much, but she did mention that you mentioned something about the name when she found you.” His eyes didn’t stray. “And then, one night, when we were sleeping together, you woke me up a bit and startled me with the same name.” He drew a breath. “Look, if it’s something you’re put-off about or if you’re totally not sure of what I’m talking about … it’s fine. It’s just … I mean, if there’s something bothering you, I’d like to know.” He smiled. “I’d like to share it with you.”

“It’s not that,” Whisper answered quietly. “It’s just… that name. The only place I’ve ever heard it before was in a nightmare I have sometimes.” A lot of times, she amended in her mind. “For a few years now.”

“I see,” Dominic nodded. “What were they like? Do you remember them well?”

“Some..." Whisper said. She seemed uncomfortable with the topic. "The one I remember most, I'm talking to a man covered in black tar, and he points to the sky overhead and tells me to look up. I look up, but I can't remember anything after that. I just remember the name," she explained. "Sometimes, I can almost see him. You know when you think you're forgetting something, and it's right there on the edge of your mind? If you could just recall it?"

She rubbed lightly at her temple, as if to soothe a headache. A telltale sign that she was troubled.

____

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” he smiled. “Thank you, for sharing that with me. I’m not totally sure what it means, but I’m glad you trust me enough to open up to my like that.”

He adjusted his position so that he was facing her. He took her hands in his own. “Whisper, can I try something?” He met her eyes.

“Can you try and do something for me?” He smiled, focusing on his breathing. His heartbeat was steady and strong, his psyche calm and focused.

“I want you to try and remember something for me,” he nodded, “can you try that? I want you to try and remember … Lorhill. The fruit trees. The soft autumn wind. The green grass.” He smiled. “Lorhill. Your home. You told me all about your home. And there was a festival every year during the summer solstice. People would go dancing. Do you remember that?”

As he spoke, Dominic tried to fill his mind with pleasant emotions - strong, warm memories of times spent with his family and siblings, of moments shared with friends and comrades … of days he had with his mother. The memories of his mother were most strong, and he focused on this … letting a deep, familial, affection pour out of his mind and his heart.

His voice was low and focused now. “You had a sister, didn’t you? Do you remember her name?”

"What are you doing, Dominic?" Whisper asked carefully.

She searched his face for some answer to her inquiry, and it seemed hard to explain how or why, but something in her eyes seemed older than a few moments ago. A calm had settled over her, and though normally Alessia was glad enough to speak with Dominic, today she seemed troubled beneath that calm exterior.

____

“Trying to get some answers,” Dominic replied. “it’s good to see you, Alessia.” He stood up and walked around the couch.

“This Lzothozsh thing has me troubled. I’m worried there’s more to it than Jacquelyn is letting on,” he walked into the nearby kitchen and selected a glass from the cupboard. “She clearly doesn’t know much about it. I’m wondering if you can help me shed some light on it.” He set the glass down on the counter. “You want one?”

She sighed heavily. She should have known it was only a matter of time before he would come digging for answers to things better left buried.

"Do you have anything to make a hot tea?" she asked finally.

It was going to be a long night.

Dominic chuckled. “Where’s Nik when you need him…” He pushed a button on a nearby device. Water began warming up. He looked back at her and smiled. “I’ll do my best.”

A few minutes later, Dominic would return to Alessia on the couch, two steaming cups in hand. “Taiyou blend,” he explained, “picked it up on Niihama. I can’t brew it as well as Nik or my old sensei, but I like to think I got the gist of it.” He handed one to her.

“This must be an important topic,” Dominic said with a slight wince, “I’m sorry to push so hard for this, but I feel like it’s important that I know what’s going on.”

"It's complicated..." Whisper answered. "If I had my journal..." she sighed as she held the cup in her hands. "It's back on Terra, somewhere."

She sipped lightly at the tea, mostly to try and gather her thoughts without lingering in awkward silences.

"I can do my best to answer some of your questions, but know that there's things that not even I know about Lzothozth,” she continued.

____

Dominic nodded. “Well to start - what is it?”

"That depends who you ask. To some it's a god, to others it's a demon. A devourer of worlds," she explained.

Her demeanor had turned darker than he was accustomed to with this particular personality. Whatever lay behind that name that Whisper had uttered, had scarred all of them.

“A bad guy, then,” Dominic nodded, sipping at his tea, “what relation does it have to you? To the other personalities?” His brows furrowed. “Did one of you… confront it at some point in time?”

"In the beginning there was just Jacquelyn and I," Whisper explained. "She encountered Lzothozth shortly after arriving on Terra."

She closed her eyes briefly. "I'm sorry. This isn't easy."

“I understand,” Dominic winced, “any information at all will help. And if there’s anything I can do…” He froze. “...wait, Alessia. When I talked to Kianna, she told me that she found Whisper in a delusional state, ranting about Lzothozth. Is there any chance that I’m risking awakening that personality while discussing this with you?”

"Pythia. I do my best to keep her suppressed, but where Lzothozth is concerned, there's always risk," she answered truthfully.

“Alright,” Dominic nodded, “is there anything I should know in the event that she does resurface?”

"Just make her feel safe," Whisper answered. "She contains all of the memories that the rest of us have only glimpsed at. Its taken its toll on her."

“Okay,” Dominic nodded, “thank you.” He supposed that if he could do anything of Whisper’s personalities, the least he could do was make them feel safe. “Continue whenever you feel ready.”

____

Whisper smiled softly. "Before I continue, understand that the Jacquelyn I speak of, is not the woman you know to be Jacquelyn. Jacquelyn died a long time ago, and the woman you know... she has taken the name for herself because it's the only name she knows."

She looked down at her tea before she continued.

"Shaded is who it all started with. He was a spawn of the Corruption - a servant of Lzothozth. He and the Corruption infected Jacquelyn with a spawn of Lzothozth which had it matured would in time have formed something of a symbiotic relationship with its host. She fought it though until the night a servant of Lzothozth came for her. I don't know what transpired that night... Only that when she woke, the spawn within her was dead, and Pythia was born."

She took another sip of her tea, her eyes troubled.

"It is believed that to look upon the true form of Lzothozth is to know insanity," she explained. "I can only speculate on what happened to Jacquelyn though, as Pythia possesses all of the memories that transpired that night."

"But whatever drove her to madness... simply containing the memories wasn't enough. Jacquelyn was never the same again, and shadows of that night linger over all of us, and in our dreams."

"The Jacquelyn you know - Whisper - has never known the corruption, or Lzothozth. What she knows is simply the echos of it that have found their way into her dreams when the boundaries between our memories blur. You must not encourage her. The rest of us know not to delve into those memories… but she remains unaware of our existence, and of the danger that lays within Pythia’s memories."

____

“Is that what killed her, then? The first Jacquelyn,” Dominic nodded, deep in thought, “that … thing?” He mused contemplatively into his tea. Whereas Alessia was clearly troubled by the story, the young Hagan considered it with his usual collected coolness.

It suddenly occurred to Dominic that the Whisper collective had done something - well - incredible. They’d faced off the incarnation of madness and destruction itself and had emerged, at least somewhat, victorious. It was like something from a fairy-tale book.

“As for Pythia,” he continued, “is there anything we can do to help her? I mean, if what you’re saying is true, then the poor girl is practically a living shield - blocking the face of Lzothozth from the rest of you. Surely there’s something we can do for her?”

“No, Jacquelyn died years later,” Whisper answered. “But Pythia became obsessed with Lzothozth, and the Corruption. In time, I too began to study them, in an effort to help her. It was the least I could do when she suffered the horrors of that night over and over again, so that we would be kept safe from the insanity that would have taken our minds too. It was more than that though. Pythia... beneath the layers of psychosis... is Jacquelyn at the core. The memories have been fragmented, but they exist within her yet. After Jacquelyn died, I thought if I could help Pythia slay the demons that haunted her, I could save that part of Jacquelyn that still remained uncorrupted, and unbroken."

She smiled sadly. "The Jacquelyn I knew, before Lzothozth, before the Orsa of Terminus, before everything. When the Corruption returned in a bid to wake Lzothozth, we faced it once more. Pythia, Airlia, and myself. We destroyed it, and sealed its realm away so that another could not take its place. The key to its realm we gave to the Patronus for safe-keeping."

She paused a moment before she continued. "Unfortunately Pythia did not recover as I had hoped."

____

Dominic was quiet for a moment. He looked down into his tea, the steam curling up into his face and wafting scents of ginseng and oolong into his nostrils.

“Why do you do it?” he asked quietly, “why did you fight it? Was it your duty at the time? Were lives of your loved ones threatened?” He looked curiously at her. “...are you just … good?”

"If the Corruption had succeeded in waking Lzothozth and opening a portal to our realm, Lzothozth would have moved through the galaxy, devouring world after world," Whisper answered.

Dominic smiled. “Be that as it may, I think most people would have hid under their bed in hopes that someone else would deal with the problem.” He drank quietly. “You’re very brave. You, Pythia and Airlia. Some might call you heroes.”

He rose from the couch. “Well, it looks like I’ve gotten worked up over nothing. This Lzothozth fellow is defeated, the key to his front door is guarded by some of the most respected warriors in the Multiverse and all that remains of his memory is locked inside the psyche of Pythia.” He smiled. “I’ll continue trying to find a way to help the poor girl, but I’m glad that this problem is, for the most part, taken care of. I feared Lzothozth might have been a recurring adversary for the Whisper collective - especially considering how involved you’ve been in defeating him thus far.”

He moved back towards the kitchen. “But I like I said, I’m going to try and find a way to help Pythia. If what you’re saying is true, then the real Jacquelyn might still be buried somewhere beneath all that… madness.” His brows furrowed. “I only worry … you made it seem like Lzothozth’s corruption touched all of you, that Pythia took the worst of it and bottled it inside. I wouldn’t want to …” Dominic winced. “...break her. Spill what she’s keeping contained onto the rest of the collective.”

____

"Our memories are our own," Whisper reassured him. "Pythia is more of a physical danger to the collective. It's why I made the decision to keep her suppressed as best as able."

She set her cup down on the end table so she could draw her legs up onto the couch next to her, resting against the arm of the couch. She looked tired. Not physically so much as emotionally. Dredging into the past it would seem had left the woman drained.

Dominic set his own mug down and returned to the couch. “Thank you. That was most of what I wanted to know. I’m sorry for asking you to dig up memories like that. I’m just trying to get a better understanding of Whisper.” He smiled softly. “It helps a lot, you being so cooperative. Airlia isn’t half as friendly …” He rubbed the back of his neck. “... though I may have not come off the right way when we first met.” He shrugged, yawning a bit as he stretched his arms over the couch. “I keep meaning to talk to her again. What I did with you was something of an experiment. I wanted to see if I could ‘trigger’ you. I guess it worked.”

He crossed his leg over his knee and rubbed at the space between his eyes. He looked a bit tired himself.

Whisper smiled softly at that. “It would help if you stopped viewing us as personalities and fragments, triggers, and switches. We’re people. All of us, in some shape or form. Perhaps not born in the same manner as you, but we feel real.”

There was perhaps a heavier implication to the words than was said outloud. After all, not all of them wanted the same thing in life.

“I know,” Dominic replied with a nod, “sorry, I didn’t mean to make it sound like I was dehumanizing you. It’s just… strange.” He smiled. “Most people get a body all for themselves. It’s difficult, trying to find a balance between you all. What pleases one of you might offend another … and who’s right? It’s every bit her life and her body as it is the next, isn’t it?” He shrugged. “Like I said, I’d like to get to know all of you, if I can - and in the future, once I have a better understanding of all of this, maybe … I don’t know. Find a solution?” He appeared hesitant. “It’d be nice if all of you were able to live your own lives, free of each other’s influence. Even if you’re all individual people, you’re all sort of … stuck together, aren’t you? It’d be nice if you all had a body to call exclusively your own.” He sighed.

____

"Some things, don't need fixing," Whisper told Dominic gently. "This is who we are. To separate all of us... it would be like cutting off your own arms and legs."

Dominic smiled wearily. “I suppose you may be right about that. Everyone I’ve ever known has lived in their own body, but that doesn’t mean that some people can’t be happy sharing one together.” His brows furrowed. “Though I suppose that’s a decision for the entire collective to make.” He arched his back, wincing briefly in pain. His hand moved behind his back and he rubbed gently for a moment. “I don’t know. Maybe I’m not making any sense.” He paused. “All I really know at this point is that I want to keep Whisper safe and happy. I guess I’ll just hold onto that until I figure out what to do next.”

“She’s happy, when she’s with you,” Whisper told him with a soft smile. “It’s getting late though. "I can sleep out here tonight," she offered so as to avoid any awkwardness.

Dominic smiled. “Please, take the bed. I was going to eat a late dinner anyway, I’d just keep you up if I stayed out here.”

“If you’re sure. Do you have something I could write with? It helps clear my head,” she explained. “I haven’t done much since my journals were lost back on Valore.”

“Of course,” he nodded. He get off the couch and wandered back into the kitchen. “A holopad? Or something more traditional?”

“Traditional, please. If it’s not too much trouble,” she answered.

“I’ll see what I can dig up,” he smiled.

as written by Tiko

1 week later...

It was a slightly overcast day, and the ground still damp from the early morning showers that had left the air heavy with that muggy feeling that oft came in the wake of rainy weather. Whisper hurried on her way, feet splashing through shallow puddles as she made for the Illumene Museum of History where she was supposed to be meeting up with Dominic and Dylan for the afternoon. With a large fundraiser event being hosted at the museum today, it was a choice place to meet people of money and influence in Illumene. Landing a deal with Dylan would no doubt prove beneficial for Tech Con, but there would be no shortage of profitable venture opportunities for Dominic today.

There was something off about the day though, something Whisper couldn't quite place her finger on. It was more than just the gloomy weather, it was a sense of unease... like there was something waiting just around the corner.

She finally simply shrugged it off as paranoia, and as she entered the lobby of the museum and caught sight of Dominic the unease faded from her mind as quick and fleetingly as it had come in the first place. He was already engaged in discussion with the locals and she couldn't help but be amused at the ease with which he traded words among complete strangers.

"I'm not late, am I?" she asked as she joined him.

The lobby was already filled with people, and no doubt there would be a great deal of social banter to come in the hours ahead. It didn't frighten her as it had back on Langara though, or Valore for that matter. Here she could just be herself without fear of Aschen racism, or TNG authorities. It was nice. Safe.

as written by Ronin

"Jacquelyn," Dominic smiled warmly, "not at all. It's hardly begun." He gestured towards a small, wrinkled old gentleman with cheeks as bright and red as roses. "This is Mr. Asrio, a curator. He was just telling me a bit about the museum's history." He made a motion for the man to continue. "Built by Alric Collins..."

"...commissioned by Chief Captain Darius Sark," the curator nodded, smiling, "one of the first cultural centerpieces built on Arastel. Erected not ten years into The Landing." He almost beamed. "You're standing in one of the oldest buildings on the planet, Mr. Hagan - been around over nine hundred years."

"Impressive," Dominic looked curiously at Asrio. "Isirians must take their history very seriously. It would take other nations quite some time to get around to start seriously recording history after settling a planet."

"To be fair, we were already quite well-developed for a nomadic nation," Asrio admitted, "didn't have to worry much about food and clean water and the like. But you're right in part. We're very meticulous about our history. I suppose that's mainly because-"

"Mr. Hagan!" a man in a black suit approached Dominic. Patrik. One of Dominic's more trusted aids. Whisper doubtlessly knew him. "The opening ceremony is starting, sir. Main exhibit hall."

"Thank you, Patrik," Dominic nodded before looking back to the curator. "Mr. Asrio, my apologies. I'll look for you later, I'm eager to hear the rest of that story."

"I'm not going anywhere Mr. Hagan," he smiled with grandfatherly warmth. He looked at Whisper and offered her a wink. "He's quite the listener, isn't he? Careful with this one. He's smarter than he looks."

Dominic laughed, offering Whisper his arm before heading toward a massive, arching hallway. The museum was quite busy, throngs of people milling this way and that as the charity got into swing.

"Nine hundred years, start to present..." he whistled, "that's incredible. Makes me wonder what kind of nation the Aschen would be if the Vorlix hadn't come around to send us back to the dark ages." He looked at her. "You big on history? Seems like it's pretty important to your people."

as written by Script

The museum was big, and filled with strange and varied objects that people were gathering to stare at. There were all sorts of things, from animal bones to old guns and models of buildings and spaceships. It was very different to the museum that he'd been to on Valore, which was filled with dozens of different civilisations depicted with spears, swords and all manner of ancient tools.

This museum seemed to tell a story mostly about one civilisation - the one that still stood, albeit under the Aschen. It started with spacecraft, carrying them here from far away. He found it strange that there was no knowledge of what came before, like they just came from nowhere in their ships.

He supposed that wasn't too farfetched. They might not have grown like other civilisations. After all, he had not grown like normal people. When he had come into being, he already knew much that other newborns did not, and was the same shape he was now instead of small, and pudgy.

It had been odd, taking care of Kianna's child when he himself was only a year its senior. He did not remember much of his birth, but he knew that he had not existed before two years ago. He often wondered what it would have been like if his creator had taken care of him, or found someone else to like Kianna had found him.

He supposed that things were different for creations and tools than they were for real people.

Echo blinked, realising he'd been stood staring at the same exhibit of the old spaceships for several minutes now. No one had paid him any mind. They were here to meet important people, not him. To meet ... people, not him.

"Hey there."

Echo turned in surprise to see that the source of the voice was a teenager with red hair, dressed in an expensive looking suit. He had big hazel eyes, and smiled at Echo warmly. Echo blinked. "Oh. Hello." he replied.

"You looked a little lost. Are you alright?" the boy asked, still smiling. It was a nice smile.

He nodded. "Yes, I'm unharmed. I was just thinking."

Laughing, the boy shook his head. "I didn't mean physically. Do you want to chat? I've been looking for someone to talk to that's not busy trying to be important. My name is Jamie." He stuck his hand out.

Echo knew this one. It was a greeting. "Oh. Yes. Talking is ... nice. I am called Echo." he said, before taking Jamie's hand.

'Don't mention my husband, fucking hell Gloria, I don't need you checking up on me like a fragile piece of China, have some faith, I'm not going to break down into tears in the middle of a museum!'

'She's so pretty... she'd never talk to me though, not with the acne, that cream isn't doing any good, maybe the Aschen treatments will work if I can afford them, just a few more paychecks, wish Craig would give me that promotion, he knows I'm better with complaints than Mark is...'

'Fuck this fucking leg, I'd kill for a painkiller! Can't believe I left my purse in the lobby, could I make it out without causing a fuss? Not with my leg acting like this, would make everyone stare, too embarassing, hope someone I know sees it and brings it.'

'Oh just my luck, stuck talking to Avery again, stupid cow won't shut up about her damned boyfriend. Wish Nessa would come back

Echo gasped, and let go. The thoughts kept whirring in his head, the glimpses of the monologues running on the outer eges of peoples' minds gathering together into a storm. Too noisy, like standing in a crowd, the only one without a megaphone, can't block it out-

"Are you okay?" Jamie put a hand on Echo's arm, frowning, "You look ..." realisation dawned on his face, and he was suddenly scared. "Oh my god. How did you..?"

'He wasn't doing that before, did I do that? How did he take it? Shit, he'll know what I'm thinking now, mustn't think about being a telep- Uh... three times four hundred twenty... twenty times three is sixty, four hundred times three is one thous- one thousand two hundred sixty, keep focusing on other things...'

Echo screwed his eyes closed. "How do I make it stop?" he pleaded.

Jamie hesitated. 'Should I help him..? Could be anyone, but ... can't just leave him like this, it'll drive him mad.'. "Come this way. My mother's office is upstairs, away from the noise. She's a curator. I can help you clear your head."

Echo just nodded dumbly and allowed himself to be led away. As they left the lobby and - with a brief hushed conversation with a security guard - headed up the grand staircase away from the crowds, the noise began to fade, and Echo's breathing returned to normal. The thoughts were still there, but quiet, distant - even Jamie, close as he was, had somehow stopped him hearing.

Jamie led him into a small office room off from the main museum floor and closed the door behind him. Echo hovered uncertainly by the door as the teenager ran a hand through his hair and leaned onto the desk.

"Who are you? What did you do?" he asked finally.

Echo wasn't sure where to start.

as written by Lobos

Climbing the steps, the Councilman once again shook his head, trying to clear the sensation that something was deeply wrong. It was the itch at the back of his mind that wouldn't go away, the touch of unease that defied means of assuaging it. Schooling his expression before he entered the doors of the museum, he resolved to spend time later attempting to trace the feeling.

The crowd within was already enough to make finding Whisper and Dominic challenging, but questing by mind and panning his sight allowed Dylan to circumvent most of the troubles entailed in locating the pair. Carefully weaving through the milling throngs of people, he made his way over with courteous nods, soft spoken apologies, and polite disengagements. In a few minutes, the man caught up to the pair, offering a smile.

"A busy day, it seems. I do apologize if I'm at all late, Mr. Hagan, Miss Jacquelyn."

as written by Tiko

As the crowds grew thicker, Whisper couldn't help but note the familiar discomfort of so many minds brushing up against her own and her smile faltered. She rubbed lightly at her brow, but the sensation faded quickly enough.

"It was a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Asrio," Whisper offered as her warm smile returned once more.

As pleasantries where exchanged, she took Dominic offered arm seemingly at ease with the environment around them. As he led her through the crowds, she shook her head at his inquiry.

"History is important," she explained. "But I would not call these her people, she's never known them. The Aschen are more her people now. Besides, Isiria is a big place. To call us all the same would be to paint the Taurons and Gemenons with the same brush, and to assume they share all the same ideologies and customs. What is important to the central planets is oft far from the minds of the outer planets... and what the warmongering Cryons uphold is a far stretch from the pacifism of New Haven."

"On New Haven, history is something to be passed down through the generations by word of mouth. It becomes something alive, and a part of you. The specifics aren't as important as the spirit beneath it, and that comes from a deeper understanding than old relics and exhibits can impart."

She smiled softly, sadly almost. "The people of Arastel pride themselves on their cultured lifestyle, but they ignore the ills that plague the outer systems as long as it's kept out of sight and out of mind."

She shook her head again. "If you look beneath it all, it's all artificial and fake. My people left Arastel long ago," she explained. "They chose to leave all of this behind and to return to simpler lives in the Kreios system. This place will dehumanize you. Just look around. All these people caught up in their sense of what is right and proper, mingling to exchange wealth while the less fortunate are shipped off planet to scrape a drudgery of a living on the outer planets..."

She sighed softly, but as Dylan joined them she offered a soft smile once more.

"Ryder," she greeted. "Its been a while. We where just discussing a bit of history," she explained. "Perhaps you could tell us about your own peoples take on its preservation."

as written by Lobos

"But of course." Lazily gesturing acquiescence, the Councilman thought for a moment. "My people are a somewhat diverse lot, yet our means of preserving history is to use the knowledge to further remind ourselves why it is imperative we continue on our course. History is the reminder that drives our progress, and as such is held quite highly in our values. Yet its interpretations vary. The Pittites primarily use oral or preserved tomes to ensure history continues to be remembered, yet they also use it to recall their own feuds within the clans inhabiting the world. Valhallans such as myself, prefer to access our digitized libraries, or discuss our histories through more structured debates."

"It would make an interesting study in and of itself, the way historical preservation of knowledge varies within a culture that shared a common ancestry that birthed the same nation, really." Dylan's smile sobered somewhat. "Although its a field of sociology my people aren't precisely prioritized to take an interest in. As I said, we use it to drive advancement, and that act alone takes much of the focus of those of us living within the Umbral."

"But such are the complexities of the human psyche, eh?"

as written by Script

"I am ... Echo. I came here with the Aschen," he began. He heard the 'Oh crap I'm dead' from Jamie's mind in the same instant that his eyes widened and he edged backwards, and his heart sank. He hated it when people reacted like that. Now he could hear it, as well as see it. They truly feared him for it, or hated him. "I don't want to hurt you." he reassured him, and Jamie relaxed - perhaps as much by hearing his feelings on the matter as his words.

"I can't ... tell you anything else." he went on hesitantly, "I have orders."

Jamie frowned, "You can't just expect me to help you if you won't tell me anything." 'I can hear him thinking about it anyway, but the principle of it...' "But you don't need to. I can hear it. You're with their Special Projects, and you do things that you don't know are right. And it hurts you. You repeat the words they told you, over and over, but they don't feel right. You don't know why, but they don't. You don't like hurting people."

Echo stared. "You can see more than I can." he said after a moment.

"Of course." Jamie smiled, "I've been doing this longer than you. I home in on what's important. Now, listen... I want to help you, Echo. I can tell you're not like them. But if you told anyone about me, it could get me killed. D'you understand that? I think you've figured out by now what I am."

"Yes. You're ... psionic. Like Whisper. And the others." The ones that had been killed, and the ones that had been taken away by Kianna.

"Yeah. Like them. But listen, I don't hurt anyone. I can't. So please, keep it a secret that you found me? I don't know what they'd do to me. I know I wouldn't ever see the people I love again."

Echo hesitated. Duty. Duty was that he should tell them. There were orders. To not report, was to be complicit. But Jamie didn't hurt anyone, like he said. He wasn't like the insurgents, the rebels that killed people.

“Please, Echo. Your duty should be to keep your people safe.” Jamie’s nervousness was clear to him. The fearful murmurs in his thoughts were still there.

Slowly, Echo nodded. “Okay. I won’t tell. I don’t want people to die.” He said, “It’s a waste when people die. They are so much, and then they’re nothing at all.”

Jamie smiled. It was a nice smile, again, Echo noted. Warm, and friendly. It wasn’t like Kianna’s smile. “Thanks, Echo.” He said, sighing heavily and looking down at his lap. Echo watched, waiting till he looked back up again. “Okay. I want you to do exactly what I say. Take a deep breath and close your eyes.”

as written by Ronin

"Hello to you too, Alessia," Dominic grinned as they walked, nodding as she explained the intricacies of Isirian culture. "I suppose you're right," he assented once she was finished, "I'd be hard pressed to find any similarities between a Canceron and a Langaran ... save, perhaps, that they worship the same gods and obey the same Emperor." He rolled his eyes. "Hell, even that's too broad. I can hardly name three things a Caprican and Tauron have in common."

"As for the pomp, well..." he sighed quietly, "that's civilization, I suppose. You get rich and powerful enough and 'culture' begins to become more important than human dignity and equality. I think the mindset permeates near-every society one way or another. There are Arastels everywhere." He looked idly about, smiling as he watched a young child squeal happily atop her father's shoulders. "That said, I have faith in them. Rich or ignorant, they're still human. Most of them would do the right thing, given the chance. Maybe they just need the right push."

He turned as Ryder walked up to them, offering him a smile and a polite nod. "Councilor Ryder, not at all. We've only just begin to tour the event ourselves." The exchange between Alessia and Dylan passed, Dominic listening with keen interest as Ryder divulged into an exposition of his own nation's culture. He was learning so much today.

"Interesting," his brows lowered in thought, "a businessman myself, I'd be more curious to see the way socioeconomic factors affect historical maintenance. Perhaps a 'compare and contrast' of a historically capitalistic and oligarchic faction, such as the Empire, with a more socialistic people..." he paused, "... perhaps with the Dominion, even." He smiled. "Yes, I'd very much like to see something like that. Examine which aspects of their history each nation pays the most heed to ... where the most corruption occurs ... which figureheads are idolized and which are forgotten. How telling that would be..."

as written by Tiko

"Once you're through with business here in Arastel, perhaps you should add a few weeks in the Shade Dominion to your tour of the galaxies," Whisper broached lightly. "I might enjoy seeing the place myself someday."

as written by Lobos

"Well, it would be an interesting read, such a study I'm sure." Chuckling lightly, the Councilman glanced to Whisper as she spoke. Nodding at her words, he chuckled anew.

"Well, about that. I was wondering if you, Mr. Hagan, and Jacquelyn, would be interested in such a trip? The various corporations within the Dominion would be quite interested in agreements with Tech Con, I might imagine, and while I might have a bias towards the locale myself..."

"I can safely say I've never seen worlds quite like ours." The man spoke with honesty. The worlds of the Dominion were unique wonders, thriving under the light of the systems' black stars. It produced an environment that was exotic and nearly unreal in its first appearance, a gem despite the hazards of life. Yet he was living proof that such a life was possible.

as written by Script

Back upstairs, though he paused a moment, Echo did as instructed. Jamie’s voice carried on. “Okay, focus on what you can read from me.”

After a pause, Echo spoke. “Still worried I'm going to tell my superiors about you. But relieved that I'm not ... like them. You think I'm ... nice, but strange.” He said softly.

Jamie laughed, “It’s strange for someone else to be telling me what I’m thinking, but you’re about right. Don't get me wrong, strange isn't a bad thing to me. You're just not like anyone I've ever met before. Okay, now, I want you to first focus on my thoughts, and think about them being quieter. Imagine you're blocking your ears. Then think about pushing them away, and focus just on yourself.”

Echo’s expression twisted into a frown of focus. He narrowed his focus on the bundle of whispered thoughts that was Jamie, and willed it to become smaller, and then to become distant. Then he turned his focus inwards.

“Now imagine there’s a wall around everything that’s just you. Keeping it in, and keeping everything else out. It’ll be difficult at first... oh!” Jamie looked up with surprise, “You got it. I can't hear you any more. You’re a quick study, Echo.”

Echo smiled and nodded. “I understand things like this quickly. They’re easy, not like ... art, and um... people. They’re more difficult. They don’t work logically.”

Jamie laughed, “That’s very true. So... if you’re not like them, Echo, what are you? You can tell me if you want, I won’t tell anyone. Not on your side or the other side.”

Echo still hesitated – he was supposed to be acting in secret, but ... Jamie was kind. And genuine, Echo thought that he might be able to tell if he was lying, now. “I am ... I was not born like people. I was made. I don’t know who by, they sent me away because I was incomplete, and not perfect. I was ... faulty. I was designed to understand things, and then do what they could do.”

“Wow.” Jamie’s eyes widened, “That’s amazing!”

Echo frowned. “People say that, but, I can’t do it perfectly. I can’t hear as much as you, and I can’t make the fire like the other boy, or call on the same lightning as the woman with the armour, or...”

“Hey,” Jamie interrupted, “Nobody’s perfect, y’know? I think what you can do is pretty amazing. And you’re nothing like any of the other Aschen I’ve met.” The boy laughed and smiled, and Echo laughed too, because it seemed like the right thing to do when Jamie laughed.

“I ... thank you.” Echo said after a moment, “I’m glad that you think so. The others think it is good because it is useful.”

“You’re more than useful, you know. You’re a person, made or not.” Jamie noted, nodding his head as though that confirmed it beyond all doubt. He paused for a moment before lifting his gaze to meet Echo’s. “Hey, Echo?”

Echo blinked. “Yes?”

“Wanna be friends?” he offered, grinning.

Echo blinked a second time, surprised. “I ... don’t know. What does a friend have to do?”

“Psh! Don’t tell me you’ve not had a friend before!” Jamie began to tease, but his smirk faded when he realised Echo was being serious. “Aw. A friend doesn’t have to do anything in particular, Echo. If two people are friends that just means they like being around each other, and they want to talk and do things together.”

He thought for a moment. “I might have had friends before. I’m not sure. There were people on the ships that talked to me, sometimes. But most of them went away, and I don’t see them much anymore.” Then, he finally smiled, and nodded. “I would like it if we were friends, Jamie.”

“That settles it then! Friends!” Jamie walked over to Echo and gave him a hug. Echo was startled, and a rush of Jamie’s thoughts flooded into him with the contact – '...sweet, can't imagine him working with them, not how mom and dad talk about them...' - before he refocused and pushed them out so he could pay attention to what was happening outside his head. Hugs weren’t something he’d done before.

“What are you doing?” he asked.

“Hugging you!” Jamie once again appeared to think it was the most obvious thing ever, but then he realised that Echo was serious. “Oh. It’s just a way people show that they’re friends sometimes.” He explained, “Because it’s just nice, I guess. Being warm and close and stuff.”

“Oh.” Echo wasn’t entirely convinced, but he hesitantly lifted his arms to return the hug. It was quite nice, physically. But he didn’t really see the point, all the same.

Jamie leaned back and nodded his head. “Alright, let’s head back down to the museum. We can chat more about ourselves, and do friend stuff!”

Echo smiled. “I would like that. I like learning about people.” he said, following as Jamie moved to the door of the office and started back for the museum's main floor, where the event was still going on.

as written by Ronin

"That's an incredibly generous invitation," Dominic replied, quickly recovering from the light shock of having been invited to tour the Dominion and meet its corporate heads not five minutes into greeting the ambassador. Dominic thought he would have had to do some serious shmoozing before reaching that base. He wondered if Whisper had anything to do with this.

"Thank you. I'll have to get back to you on it, but I would like nothing more than to spearhead relations between Tech Con and the corporations of the Dominion," Dominic nodded before offering a relenting smile, "...and of course, to see your beautiful worlds. Not many Aschen have ventured into Dominion space. Certainly none I know. I'm more than a bit curious."

There were complications of course. A trip to the Dominion was an enormous commitment. It would nearly double the length of time Dominic had planned to spend on his business trip, and the Andromeda Galaxy wasn't exactly on his way home to Langara. Managing his company would be even harder. He'd need to find someone he trusted to ferry back and forth between worlds and keep things running...

...but of course, Dominic knew that this opportunity was priceless. No other Aschen company had yet made business ventures into the Dominion. If Tech Con was the first, their advantage in the field would be considerable.

"Shall we continue the tour?" he asked, smiling, "I, for one, am quite curious as to know how a nation of homeless migrants grew up to make the best street tacos in the universe."

as written by Tiko

"Indeed, that is an opportunity I would very much like to take someday," Whisper answered. "Unfortunately I fear my days will be tied up here in Isiria for some time yet. We're still no closer to any answers regarding the unknown ships that where encountered on the fringes of Isiria."

It would seem the woman wasn't yet privy to the conversation that had transpired between Kianna and Dylan earlier that day, in regards to her current placement within Isiria.

as written by Lobos

"So we shall, Mr. Hagan." Following along with the couple, he smiled slyly, glancing at Whisper. "And as it so happens, Jacquelyn, you'll have the time."

"Empress Kianna has agreed to allow me to refine your skills, and rather than do so in an environs that carries a bias towards your gifts, I'd imagined one far more accepting of our abilities to be more suited to the task. Besides. You need a vacation."

The Councilman allowed his words to sink in, more cautiously gauging the woman's reaction.

as written by Tiko

Whisper's reaction was perhaps not as immediately positive as one might have expected, and the emotions cycled through her eyes and expression. Confusion followed by cautious suspicion, then hesitation.

Her lips parted as if to respond, but a side glance to Dominic gave her pause.

Finally her face laxed into a neutral calm, and though she smiled it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"I would love to then," she answered. "Should you decide to, that is," she added to Dominic.

as written by Ronin

Dominic, on the other hand, looked much more pleased.

"That's ..." he blinked, " ... fantastic! Gods, councilman, you've brought us wonderful news. I had no idea that Jacquelyn would be allowed leave from her duties here in Isiria so soon." He looked back at her, seeming not to notice her oddly neutral expression.

"I can't say for sure until I've cleared things with the board," he nodded, "but I certainly have a strong personal preference towards a trip to the Dominion." He smiled, touching the hand on his arm affectionately. "In fact, I'd say it's exactly the sort of opportunity I've been looking for.

Back