Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Illumene City

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Tiko

It was a pleasant enough afternoon in Illumene as Whisper took to the steps of the Imperial Administration Complex located at the outskirts of the city. She bore the grey uniform of the Aschen Special Projects Division and she was supposed to be questioning the alien prisoners again today, but she didn't expect much more progress than they had the first time.

Returning to Isiria had brought mixed feelings upon her, but at least this time around she could get up for work in the morning without shame in it. This had been her home once, and these aliens were as much a threat to Isiria as they were to the rest of the Aschen Empire right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Ronin and Tiko

"Jacquelyn," Dominic called out to Whisper, quickly crossing the street and waiving to her. He was glad he'd managed to catch her before she entered the complex ... re-uniting with Whisper inside that nest of confessors and LDA suits was the last thing he wanted.

He was smiling warmly as he ascended the steps towards her, though he didn't offer any other word of greeting. He was watching carefully to see how she would react.

____

Whisper wheeled about in surprise at Dominic's voice. Last she knew she had left him back on Terra, and he certainly was the last person she had expected to see come up those steps.

Surprise filled her face, followed quickly by disapproval, but that swiftly faded as her eyes lit up and the slightest of smiles graced her lips coupled with confusion.

"Dominic, how? What are you doing here?" she asked.

____

Dominic smiled. "What, you thought bedding and bailing me back on Valore was enough to shake me?" he shook his head, "I think you're forgetting who you're dealing with ... I practically invented that maneuver." He walked up to her, resisting the urge to embrace her. She was in uniform outside of an Imperial military complex. Dominic didn't know what kind of repercussions a harmless kiss could have in a place like this.

"I'm here on business," Dominic nodded, "looking into putting a new Tech Con office on Arastel. Be the first Langaran corp to take a foothold in Isirian industry." He grinned. "...and of course, I'm here for personal reasons as well. I was told that I could find you here. I'm hoping we can spend some time together when you're not working. How about dinner tonight? You busy?"

____

Whisper flushed lightly as Dominic brought up Valore. "It's not like that... I just... I thought it would be better if..."

She tried to find words for an explanation before deciding it might be best to forget her confusion and simply be happy to see him.

"Dinner would be nice," she replied with a return of her smile as she gave up on explaining to him why she had slipped away without so much as a good-bye. "I should be free around seven," she added. "Did you have someplace in mind for me to meet up with you tonight?" she asked.

She didn't know for how long she would be on Arastel for, but the news that Dominic would likely be here for at least the near future was a more than pleasant surprise. Her days were far busier than they had been back on Valore, but her movements were far less restricted. There were no arrest warrants waiting for her here in Arastel, unlike back in Westeria City.

____

He smiled. "Why don't you pick the place tonight? I'm the newcomer here, after all." It was indeed Dominic's first time on the planet. Between the pristine skyscapers, the police patrols, the constant video surveillance ... Arastel reminded him a lot of home. He looked towards the foreboding Aschen military complex.

"That where you work?"

____

"For now," Whisper replied. "I'll probably be reassigned to one of the outer systems soon, but that probably won't be for a few weeks yet."

She ran a nervous hand through her hair as he asked her to choose a place. She wasn't very good when it came to making decisions, even small ones, and it brought on a sense of unease.

"I've only been here for a few days myself," she admitted. "This is actually my first time in the Isirian capital. I was born in the Kreios system, it's a bit further out. Why don't you come by here tonight and we can catch a cab and just drive around the city until we find something interesting?"

____

"Great," Dominic nodded, "I'll meet you here at seven." He flipped open his phone and flurried his fingers over the surface. "I just came from Ariel Park. Beautiful place. It'll be fun exploring the rest of the city."

Should Whisper pick up on any of Dominic's emotions as he spoke, she would find them curiously subdued and eerily tranquil. Aside from a brief flash of joy upon his initial greeting, Dom's feelings were generally ... melancholy. There was some happiness to him certainly, but it was nowhere near the level at which she usually registered him to be when in her presence. It was as if he were conversing with a business partner or an acquaintance.

"I'll see you tonight," he nodded, offering her a waive, turning to leave.

____

Whisper was a bit disconcerted by the change in Dominic's general demeanor, but she simply credited it to something else being on his mind at the moment. She didn't want to intrude on the matter though, and she put it from her mind as she headed inside.

as written by Ronin and Sentry

Dominic Hagan would be behind his desk when Shari entered his penthouse at his summons. He was pouring over his work, a mess of papers and two holopads spread before him. Not an unusual sight, all things considered.

What WOULD be unusual was his dress ware. Cargo pants. Old running shoes. A t-shirt thrown over with a grey hoodie. Every time Shari had seen Dominic he had either been dressed in an impeccably-tailored suit or attired in workout sweats. He'd never worn anything so casual.

"Ms. Kruse," Dominic greeted her as if nothing was amiss, "good to see you again." He looked up at her. "Oh. Do me a favor." He gestured towards a nearby doorway stationed with a terminal. "Step over to that closet over there and select something a bit more pedestrian to wear." He turned his attention back to his work. "Also please remove your firearm and leave it on my desk."

____

Shari was immediately taken aback. Her arms folded across the chest of her TechCon uniform. An insulted glare came his way. "I do not enjoy pranks, Mister Hagan," she rumbled, her tone and demeanor a vivid personification of a dark, thundering cloud. "I arrived under the assumption that I was being given an important assignment. I politely urge you to be swift with an explanation."

The aura she gave off was borderline murderous.

____

"Your assignment awaits my approval," Dominic replied plainly, signing his name at the bottom of a stretching legal document, "my approval is pending on your ability to perform your duties as my employee skillfully and efficiently."

He looked up at her. "Speaking of efficiency, it's now been..." he checked his watch. "...twenty seconds since I gave you a direct order that you have yet to comply with." He began shuffling the papers together. "Are you feeling ill, Ms. Kruse? You're usually much faster on the draw than this."

____

Shari's lips drew into a thin line. A vein popped out from her neck as she stalked over to the closet. She didn't tear her gaze from him until she opened it up and sifted through the clothes. "Forgive me for my hesitation," she seethed through her teeth. "There will be no further delay."

She disappeared to change, a handful of clothing in her arms. Reappearing not five minutes later, she was dressed in a pair of dark jeans, a long-sleeved v-neck, and a denim jacket. A very to-the-point outfit that didn't ask for attention. Her hair was up in the same bun as it always was. There was no messing with that.

With a final glare, Shari took the sidearm from the inside of her jacket and begrudgingly set it upon Dominic's desk. She even held onto it for a few moments before sprawling her fingers as though it were painful, and then pulled her hand away.

"I am ready for new directions, Mister Hagan," she rumbled.

____

Dominic watched her begrudgingly surrender her weapon with an amused smile. "I've seen mothers part with their children with less anguish." He stood up, nodding at her choice of attire. "Perfect. It appears you're not completely without fashion sense. What a nice surprise."

He opened one of his drawers and began rummaging through it. "I have a special task for you today, Ms. Kruse - arguably the most important assignment I've ever given you." He retrieved a small black box, tucked it under his arm and looked back up at Shari. "The task is as follows - I am going to take a walk. You are going to accompany me."

He walked towards her. "But first ... " He removed the box from his arm and opened it to her. Inside was a sleek pistol. The grip was made of a curiously malleable alloy. The frame, though it looked metallic, was actually a very durable plastic. There was no serial number.

"What do you make of this?"

____

Though her expression didn't change, Shari's eyebrows raised just a tick. She fixed her eyes on the pistol within the box, and after a brief moment, reached for it.

"I think it will do," she said to Dominic. "It is a relief to know this is a true assignment indeed."

____

Dominic allowed Shari to take the gun, stepping back and putting the now empty box on the table. As she looked over the weapon, Dominic turned to Shari's own firearm. He ran a finger along the frame, the guard, examining it with pensive curiosity.

"Shari," he spoke with thoughtful softness. He used her first name. "What would you think if I told you that I purchased that firearm this morning from a second-source vendor over the black market, and that I have no registration or legal right to bear or purchase a weapon on this planet?"

____

Shari's eyes switched to Dominic suspiciously. There a few short seconds of silent staring before she answered him.

"It would not be my place to question the motives of employer," she began, holding the pistol in front of her face to get a more detailed view. "Though, that's never stopped me. What are you thinking, Hagan? This isn't like you. None of this is. I feel you are planning to tread dangerous waters."

____

"You wouldn't be wrong," Dominic said plainly, "I suppose the real question is whether or not you're going to wade in after me." He walked over to Shari and promptly took the gun from her, holstering it behind his back.

"You might be surprised about me, Shari," he said humorously, "I don't think you know exactly what kind of man I am." He walked towards his front door, pausing to look over his shoulder at the bodyguard. "I suppose, by the end of today, you will." He turned back and straightened his jacket. "You have your assignment, Ms. Kruse. Will you be the good little employee? Wait on me? Protect me? Support me against reason and morality ... get a fat paycheck at the end of it?" He opened the door, still musing to himself. "Or will you do what Shari Kruse would do? Will you be a human being with me? Will you do what's right?"

He walked into the hallway without even waiting for her to follow.

"Let's find out."

____

Shari quietly watched Dominic walk down the hallway with a steely deadpan. She clasped her hands behind her back and tilted her chin up. For a moment, her gaze was absent.

What would Shari Kruse do?

With a stubborn strut, she followed after him, trying to dismiss the thought. Shari Kruse would get her paycheck, of course. No little speech was going to cause her to do otherwise.

____

Dominic led his bodyguard out the lobby and into the streets. It was midday. The skies were cloudless and the air smelled fresh and clean. Great shadows of glittering skyscrapers canvased the sidewalk.

He set out at a leisurely pace, Shari hopefully in tow, traversing a crosswalk and rounding the next block. He seemed to know where he was going - wherever that was.

"Are you familiar with Aschen philosophy, Ms. Kruse?" Dominic asked, hardly sparing a glance over his shoulder. "Probably not. The Empire wasn't kind to our old philosophers." He smirked. "Not the pacifists, anyway. Darian McGregor seems to be the most read at the academy these days. Curious, since I seem to recall the Emperor executing him for treason not three years ago."

He smiled and nodded to a passing businessman. Across the street, a well-dressed woman struggled to keep her two children under control as they left a toy store empty handed.

"I'm referring to Jacob Raren. Psychologist and philosopher. Lived about two hundred years ago. Canceron. Lived in poverty his whole life. Had this theory..." Dominic took another crosswalk, "...that at the heart of every individual, there lurked a singular virtue, or vice, that essentially shaped the overwhelming majority of their personality." He rolled his eyes. "I'm not sure if people are as simplistic as that, but I do think the theory has some merit ... not towards people so much as it does towards nations."

A couple was having lunch at a nearby bistro. They were both on their cell phones. At the curb up ahead, a policeman had pulled over a flashy-looking sports car for speeding. He was shaking hands and smiling with the driver.

"What do you think about that, Ms. Kruse? Each nation in our fair universe being governed by a singular virtue." Dominic smiled thoughtfully, still walking. "The Scatterans? Valor. Will. Ever in conflict, ICON always stands its ground ... for better or worse." He turned another corner. "The Terrans? Passion, I suppose. Individualism, maybe. Not very powerful as a whole, but in their parts ... in each man, woman and child ... they possess strength beyond measure."

He stopped suddenly, wheeled on his heels and looked at Shari very closely.

"What do you think? What is the Aschen Empire's virtue?"

____

Shari froze in place as suddenly as Dominic did, assuming the same likeness as a statue as she often did. Stony-faced, pale like marble, unmoving. Her hands clasped behind her back. It was a wonder if she even had a heartbeat.

She took no longer than three seconds to answer.

"Domination. Purely and completely. To stop at nothing until all falls beneath the shadow of our Emperor."

____

"True," Dominic affirmed, "but do we dominate for the sake of domination? Do we wage war and conquer because we enjoy conflict? It's possible..." He turned and began walking once more. "But I'm not sure. The Aschen dominate, true, but they do so because of their love for another ideal - order."

Dominic unexpectedly took a turn through the doors of a nearby building. 'SKYLINE TRANSPORTS' the name overhead read. The young Hagan walked calmly through the busy lobby to the front desk. A suited man greeted him a smile.

"Mr. Hagan-"

Dominic held his finger over his lips, his eyes cold with warning.

The receptionist seemed embarrassed. "Oh. Yes. Quite. Sorry ... uh. Sir."

"It's alright," Dominic replied quietly, "is everything prepared?"

"Yes sir. Private shuttle, Dock E4." He produced a set of chrome keys.

Dominic took them discretely. He thumbed out a small envelope from his pocket and slid it across the desk. "For you and the pilot." He nodded. "For your discretion."

The clerk licked his lips. "Of course sir. No trouble at all."

Dominic turned, keys in hand and jerked his head toward a nearby hallway. "Come on. We have a transport to catch." There was a slight edge of excitement in his step as they began walking. "Where was I? Order. Right." He cleared his throat. "Say what you will about the Aschen ... we are a people of principle and law. We follow the rules." He grinned. "Our rules. Anyone who thinks differently pays the price. Chaos must be squashed."

They turned through several hallways, leaving the crowds behind. "I think that's what I hate most about this city," he mused after a short quiet, "how utterly tame it is. There's nothing to 'squash' here. Nothing to subjugate ... to cull and grind into order." He laughed to himself, approaching a nearby steel doorway. 'E4', the overhead sign read. "Been here two frakking weeks ... not one fight. Not one pissant to smash my fists into. No one to teach the rules to." The doors slid open. A modest-looking transport awaited them, engines humming.

Dominic looked over his shoulders and grinned. There was something dark in his eyes. "Guess I'll have to go elsewhere to get my exercise." He turned and walked steadily towards the machine, wind from the turbines licking his hair and jacket. "Come, Ms. Kruse! It's time for some fun!"

____

There was a flatly amused chuckle from Shari in response. A long moment passed as she stared at the transport, fingers twined behind her back, eyes half-lidded as though in vague interest. That was her neutral face. Her actions betrayed her expression, because she walked right after Dominic.

"And here, I thought we had nothing at all in common," she said as she passed him.

What other thoughts floated up in her head was a mystery, but there were quite a few. Hagan had never done something like this before- not with her, anyway. She never did know the man too personally - a bad thing for business. There was something other than a man looking for profit.

Something more than the manchild she took him for.

as written by Tiko and barney_fife

Kianna let herself into the penthouse suite of the hotel that Mollem was currently staying in while he was in Illumene. He had initially planned to hole up in the Administration Complex when he arrived, but Kianna had swiftly seen to more comfortable arrangements.

Inside, Aaron was lying on the floor watching the television which was airing some news report about another terrorist bombing over in Brillion. A pharmaceuticals lab had sustained heavy damages in the attack.

Mollem meanwhile was at a table in the adjacent room with a holopad.

Aaron all but jumped to his feet when Kianna came in.

"Hey!" exclaimed. "Dad said you would be here today. He also said you went to Cryo. What's it like there, and can I come next time?" he asked.

It had been a few months since he had seen Kianna. Hell, it had been a few months since Mollem had seen Kianna, and Aaron's questions spewed out in rapid succession.

"Not now, Aaron," Kianna replied. There was an air of urgency and purpose to the woman that likely reflected Mollem's own with whatever business he was attending to over his holopad. No doubt word had reached him only minutes ago, as it had she. "I brought you something. It's downstairs in the lobby."

"Really? What is it?" he asked.

"Go on and see for yourself," she told him. "I need to speak with Mollem."

He didn't need to be told again as he swiftly departed with only a parting questioning glance as to what was going on that had Kianna so on edge. She had clearly come from recent battle, her combat suit was in disarray as were her robes that were scorched from disruptor fire from her recent engagement with Paragon. Though even that altercation paled in the wake of the attack upon the Aschen Watchtower in the Cryos system.

With the place to the two of them now, Kianna's frustrations reached a boiling point as she picked a vase up from its place upon an end table only to hurtle it against the far wall. The shattering of pieces raining to the floor offered some measure of satisfaction, but it did little to fix the situation they now found themselves in.

"How did this happen?" she spoke finally through grit teeth.

____

Mollem was indeed holed up in one of the suite rooms with a Holocron, a large map of the Aurora was played out before him, with Imperial fleets outlined in shimmering blue-white icons, portraits of Minister Chaska, Chairman Inviere, and Confessor Prince were flickering before Mollem, in addition to several portraits of the Imperial Admiralty, from Admiral Nash, to Admiral Steele.

All of them were conversing in Anquietas, the commotion of their words filling the room as Mollem considered the position of the fleets.

"We need to consolidate our forces and prevent this from happening again!" Admiral Nash spoke up. "I'm prepared to initiate orbital blockades over the Isirian core worlds, and assign forces to search this sector for the origin of this attack."

Inviere was massaging her brow in frustration. "Intel points to Aiyanna, but the patterns don't match up, she assimilates, not outright kills.. whoever or whatever this was showed up hard and fast, like they knew the Watchtower would be defenseless."

Mollem remained quiet, as he manipulated the hologram to zoom in on the Fleet of Inner Knowledge.

His silence was interrupted as Minister Chaska spoke up.

"Push comes to shove we'll abandon the Aurora, we need to consider the Cimtar directive." Chaska said flatly, silencing everyone in the conference.

"It's a last resort, Chaska, we don't even know if the device is still functional." Mollem spoke up. "We need to brief everyone with the codes, but until we know more about what we're dealing with, I'm not entertaining it."

The Minister nodded, before she cleared her throat. "Regardless, defending the Empire is top priority, I'd suggest you both return to Langara and consider retreating to Cimtar."

The Shattering of the vase procured everyone's attention though, and Mollem disengaged the Holocron's conference feature, leaving only the map of the Aurora, and a highlighted red zone around Cryo, with Aschen ship positions moving about the Aurora and consolidating into defensive positions.

"Somewhere down the line there was a failure in our intelligence." Mollem said, swiping his hand around the hologram. "Billions of cubits for some of the most well funded intelligence programs in the Galaxy and we don't see this coming? We'll need to react quickly if we're going to walk away from this."

"You and I need to go to Cimtar." He said, zooming out on the map, and highlighting an isolated star system nestled in a dangerously radioactive nebula, several thousand lightyears outside the Milky Way.

"From there we can coordinate what to do next."

____

"She's not wrong about one thing," Kianna remarked, her voice a frustrated growl. "It was a mistake to try and hold territory so far from home. These reports from the ships that survived the destruction of the Watchtower... This enemy seeks to bait us into moving against it. Defending Isiria leaves us vulnerable on the home-front and stretches our resources across the galaxy. We should be prepared for an assault on the Aschen home-worlds, why else send so many to die to draw our attention to the Cryos system?"

She moved then to replace the holographic image of the Aschen fleet with one of her own altercation back on Cryo, uploaded from her combat suit. The brief skirmish played out between herself and Paragon only minutes before the destruction of the Cryo Watchtower.

"Coincidence that one would move for my life, only moments before the Watchtower fell?" Kianna inquired.

She shook her head and paced restlessly.

"I won't flee for Cimtar with tail between legs," she growled. "There are others who can go in my stead. I am a weapon in the hands of the Emperor, and I cannot be wielded half a galaxy away from this threat."

____

Mollem watched the combat feed in silence, nodding approvingly. "Your combat skin performed well." Mollem commented, gesturing to the feed. Minimizing it into a small imagescreen imposed on the larger map.

"Chaska is right, though.." Mollem admitted. "If push comes to shove we will need to abandon the Aurora, but this is only the opening attack, I'm going to take in the bigger picture." Mollem said, zooming back in to the Aurora.

"If I withdraw most of the Imperial fleets from the Aurora, I could have Admiral Nash conscript the locals into a Militia to bolster her fleet numbers, I'll send out what Intrepids we have in this part of the Galaxy out to find the source of this attack, and then we'll hit the bastard harder than they hit us." Mollem said, sweeping his hand across the Hologram.

"As for the guy that attacked you, maybe he'll have some answers, I'll get in touch with Confessor Kesslee, see if we can't find him and bring him in for a light questioning." He said, emphasizing the word 'light'

"I don't want to abandon the Aurora quite yet though, just because we have fleets here doesn't mean we're defenseless, but if there's a breach in Imperial space, the people could lose faith in our defenses, and it'll hamper our morale, so I want to hit these things before they can attack again."

As she protested his decision to retreat to Cimtar, Mollem growled.

"Your duty is to protect me, consider if that thing that attacked you attacked my while you were on Cryo? I could be dead. We need to stick together, if I'm not going to Cimtar, I'm at the very least going to Langara, the Imperial Palace has since been fortified since that Daemon attacked it last year."

____

"And do you speak as Emperor, or as husband who would keep me far from this conflict?" Kianna retorted, her eyes narrowing upon his own. "You and I both know that the best way I can protect you, is through a quick end to this threat. I'm more use to you out here than in some safe-house. If you doubt the might of the Empire at your back, then summon the girl, Whisper, to your side. She's equally as capable, if not more so than myself."

Of course, Whisper had been retired back into civilian life nearly a year past. Recalling her now, could broach complications in their arrangement. But it was doubtful any of them had foreseen the threat that now lingered upon the horizon. A threat that they all shared in equally.

____

"Wouldn't do the Empire much good if either one of us were killed." Mollem rebuked.

"Do you propose a way to root this threat out at the source so we can crush it in a timely manner?" Mollem asked, crossing his arms across his chest, stepping aside and away from the holocron.

"Reactivating the girl is the step I will consider before I light off the Potentia, I had an arrangement with her."

____

Kianna's sour mood softened and she moved to gently uncross Mollem's arms with a soft touch before her hand moved to rest upon his chest, her finger tips brushing against the Emperor's seal that he wore.

"You should know, I'm not so easily disposed of," Kianna reassured him.

The rifts between them were no secret, and the past year had only widened them, but they had always been at their strongest when they shared in a common enemy, and a joint purpose.

"I would have words with this... Paragon. I have cause to think he will return, but not if I'm nestled at the heart of a hornets nest back on Langara," she explained.

Her lips found his neck and her breath was soft and warm, a sensation that had been absent many a month.

"These aliens in the Uranos system may prove useful as well. Their technology is like nothing I have seen before. Allow me to remain here in Isiria, and I will broker relations and trade with them, to prepare for the coming storm. If you will not call on Whisper, then I will find another to accompany you to Cimtar."

____

Mollem started to relax slightly, his arms uncrossing but his left hand moving to his chin in thought. "You're sure he'll return?" He said, referring to Paragon.

He relaxed even more at the sensation of her warm breath, and then he paused.

"I've got it." He said, his face brightening up. "I want to set a trap for this thing that attacked you, when he comes for you, I want to be ready, if we bring him in alive the Confessors can interrogate him." Mollem said, nodding.

"But the logistics of such a trap..." Mollem pondered.

"Maybe I'll stay here, keep tabs on the Aurora from the Administration center; it's sufficiently fortified against threats, so I'll be insulted there while you do your work, I will leave the Empire in the Quorum's capable hands." Mollem added, bringing his arms around Kianna.

"Would you be willing to help me lay the groundwork for a trap?" Mollem asked. "As for the aliens, do what you must, we'll need every edge we can get."

____

Kianna's fingers found their way to Mollem's lips as she shook her head. "No traps, not yet. There's more to this Paragon than we know. He knows us, he knows our weapons, and our tactics. He would anticipate a trap. I will have words with him, nothing more. If I am right in my suspicions and he can be leashed, then he may prove a valuable asset yet. If I am mistaken, then we can send the Confessors after him."

"In the meanwhile, conscripting the Isirians is a sound tactic. Rally the Isirians to defend their own lands with our guidance. Your presence here will bolster morale and strengthen ties with the Isirians, while also showing the Aschen people that you are unafraid."

She moved back a step, until the table was at her back, drawing Mollem with her. Isirian rebellions breaking out in the outer systems, Paragon's escape on Cryo, aliens in the Uranos system, and an unknown threat breathing down their necks, but it would seem Kianna's mind drifted to more... physical distractions for the moment.

But there was one other matter that weighed on her thoughts yet.

"Have we received word on recent events from the Shade Dominion yet?" she asked.

____

"Nothing but dust and echoes, this might be unrelated, but the LDA's lost contact with it's agents in the Taiyou Empire and the New Paradigm." Mollem said, frowning.

Mollem had taken a step forward, aware of what was about to transpire. As he drew nearer to the table, his hand waved across the holocron, and the map disappeared.

"I wouldn't be so sure..." Mollem commented, the wheels turning in his mind as he drew closer to the table. With another hand gesture the lights dimmed. The Empire would carefully consider it's next move with both Paragon and Celion looming over it.

as written by Tiko

Some time later...

It would seem Kianna didn't have intentions towards lingering for the day, and she was already dressed and making herself presentable enough for public once more. She had too many places to be and far too much work to get done to spare any more of her time this afternoon.

Not only did they have Celion to contend with, she also had a fresh line of potential new recruits for the special projects division that she needed to see back to Langara. The matter of the Shade Dominion also weighed on her. They would have been invaluable allies against this new and unknown threat... and yet they hadn't heard word from them in nearly a year now.

The tentative armistice between the Aschen Empire and the Taiyou Empire barred them entrance to the Andromeda Galaxy, but it was reaching the point that she was willing to risk sparking old feuds if only to seek answers.

"We're going to need to violate the armistice with the Taiyou if we want answers," Kianna called to Mollem through the door of the bathroom where she was getting ready to leave once more. "We can't keep sitting in the dark hoping for news."

____

Mollem nodded slightly as he sat down on the sun baked balcony with his personal tablet in hand.

"I'm thinking of sending an Intrepid out that way, they're designed for things like long range reconnaissance and exploration, and would be invaluable in scouting out the Andromeda galaxy and remaining relatively low key." Mollem replied.

"I'm considering assigning either Commander Pendergast of the Intrepid Class Bellorophon, or Commander Adams of the Blackwing to the Andromeda Galaxy." Mollem said, pondering the pros and cons.

"Not sure which ship would be suited for the task though."

____

"Military ships?" Kianna called with a frown. "Better off sending an Isirian ship, disguised as a civilian vessel. Something that won't be identified as ours, and that we can stow away an Aschen crew aboard. Military hardware won't do much good if they get caught anyways. They'll be on their own out there. The crew should be expendable."

____

"Civilian ships wouldn't even be able to make the journey, Isirian Civilian ships? I wouldn't even bet on it." Mollem rebuked, turning around to set the Tablet down.

"The two ship classes are the only ones capable of making the distance without attracting attention. We're talking a ship that needs an Intergalactic FTL, and I know for a fact we haven't been refitting Isirian ships with intergalactic FTL Drives."

____

Kianna mused over the matter.

"Then you would be best served to send whichever one is the least valuable, because if an Aschen military vessel gets picked up by the Taiyou, I would wager they'll shoot first, and ask questions later."

She finished raking her brush through her hair and set it down before turning to open the door so she could head back out to the main room.

____

With the two of them now in the main room, Mollem nodded.

"I'll have Inviere send Commander Adams, the Reverence S is slated for decommissioning anyway, and Commander Adams is expendable, he's in Abeyance status, with all the Demerits he's been assigned." Mollem said, shrugging.

"I've been going over his file, he's a problem Commander and Inviere's got numerous notes in his file."

____

"Isn't he the one that made national news, a few years back?" Kianna asked with a frown.

Personally she had found the man's sense of initiative to be something that the Aschen military was gravely lacking in their mad scramble to follow orders blindly. If not for that touch of morality that she had seen within him, she might have found a better use for him. As it stood she hadn't found him valuable enough to intervene on his behalf, and so the hailed 'hero' had been reassigned to a backwater post in the Cryo system in the hopes that he would fade from the public's memory.

Still though... Those very qualities of initiative and morality would serve well on a mission of this nature.

"Dying in the line of duty does make for better headlines than forgotten in the back-ass end of space somewhere," she remarked.

____

"Yes, and that's really the only reason he wasn't thrown out an airlock." Mollem said, leaning against the wall. "There's a time, a place, and a rank for making your own decisions and taking initiative. That time and place is not when a superior officer gives you a direct order. The very functionality of this Military depends on a clear chain of command, where orders are carried out without question, and without hesitation." Mollem explained.

"It's a doctrine that has served the Empire, and the Confederation well for a very long time."

Mollem paused a moment. "If he survives, I might reconsider his plight, and intervene. Since the Navy is working to expel my Son, I need someone to replace Raphael's command before I decide on the matter."

as written by Tiko and barney_fife

One day later...

The door all but slammed open as Kianna swept into the suite room that Mollem was currently seated in at work. There was a fury in her eyes that was barely contained as she sought words with her husband.

"What the hell where you thinking?" she asked. "Do you have any idea what this is going to do to your political standings?" Kianna growled through her ire and frustration.

She threw a newspaper down onto the table he was seated at, and the front page headlines was one of his own making. A public declaration into a video that had found its way leaked through the Empire, and Isiria as well. The headlines read: Emperor Decrees Scandalous Video Fake, and beneath the headline was a grainy still shot of Raphael with a gun to Desmond's head.

What in all hells could have compelled Mollem to release a public decree of this nature?

____

Mollem was hardly expecting Kianna to run in as he was hard at work, his eyes glued to the holographic display as he was going over notes from the Ministry of Defense. It had taken awhile for everything to percolate through the Empire, but his face contorted slightly at the tone of the article.

"Looks fake to me, and this paper is bullshit, remind me to handle it." Mollem commented offhanded as he slid the newspaper away.

"Why are you bothering me with this? I have other things to worry about?" He asked, while a battle plan for Westeria City was clearly displayed on the Holocron.

____

Kianna brought her hand down on the newspaper to hold it in place as Mollem moved to slide it away, and any number of expletives threatened to spill from her lips before her eyes fell upon the battle plans.

"What is this?" she demanded.

The bigger question on her mind was why hadn't he summoned her about it. She already had enough to worry about trying to implement Mollem's plans towards rallying the Isirians to swell their military numbers despite Mollem posting public decrees that cost them much needed support with the locals. Being blind-sided by a military incursion into the Sol System did not bode well for her foul mood.

____

"There was an incident on Valore." Mollem replied, making a few notations onto the holocron. "The Fleet of Glorious Interdiction is deploying to seize Tech Con's property and all classified information sensitive to the Empire." Mollem added.

"The TNG got a burr and decided to seize Tech Con property and arrest Tech Con employees, so the Military is protecting the Empire's interest. It's going to be a clean in and out." Mollem explained, making another notation.

"Why is this video anything i should worry about? The Empire says it's fake, do we have evidence to the contrary?"

____

The side of Kianna's jaw gave a twinge as she grit her teeth and gathered her words carefully, lest they spew forth to the likeness of 'Are you a fucking moron?"

That he was entirely and thoroughly oblivious to the political ramifications of his declaration did not bode well for the future of his Empire.

When she finally did speak, her words were almost cold.

"You tasked me with your safety, but I cannot protect you from yourself," she warned him. "And if you send a military incursion into the Sol System, you will be initiating a chain of events that you will not be able to undo. You once asked me if I would stand with you even as this empire burns down around us. Well, I did that once, and I won't do it again."

She slid the news paper back in front of him.

"Fix it."

She turned to sweep from the room.

____

"What do you want me to do?!" He asked, standing up and starting after her. "I told the Ministry of Information to fix it, I confirmed the video is true, it ruins the Empire's image, so I did what I knew best, and was to claim it was fake. There's nothing to fix, we'll stay on top of this and it'll eventually blow over."

He opened the door to the room and stood in the doorway, staring directly at her.

"We cannot allow the TNG to gain access to the documents that Tech Con holds, I'm talking schematics for our ships and weapons, defense codes to our defenses, Military strategies, proposed weapons contracts? Do you have any idea what that would do to the Balance of Power between this Empire and the TNG? Trillions of cubits worth of Aschen Technology falling into a despotic terrorist state. I won't allow it, I Can't allow it." Mollem said.

"We'll be in and out before the TNG knows what hit them, and we can justify it to the Shade Dominion."

____

"Do as you will, but do not ask me to ride this ship down with you a second time," Kianna warned him. "Not even I will be able to stem the coming storm that these actions will bring upon us. Now let me pass."

She stared at him hard, waiting for him to move. Would he?

Perhaps she was mistaken, perhaps she was over-reacting. Perhaps nothing would come of things, and some time to cool her head was all she needed to regain her senses.

____

Mollem shook his head. "There won't be a second time. Of that I am certain." He assured, still barring her way. "You want me to trust you, you say this whole thing is built on trust. I'm asking you to trust me." Mollem assured.

"Let's face it, there's been no word from the Shade Dominion or the Taiyou Empire. Our spies have gone dark, the Matokey in Sol have no idea what the frak is going on, and the Shintenchi Nations haven't gotten a food shipment and are on the brink of Starving. We can be in and out, and take advantage of the Chaos." Mollem said, pausing.

"Entertain this, what if there isn't a Taiyou Empire or a Shade Dominion anymore? Imperial Scientists have noticed a lot of strange activity going on. They say the Universe was torn apart at the seams and that we somehow survived intact. So consider the possibility of a vastly changed political landscape where this Empire is unchallenged."

____

"You may be willing to gamble everything that we have built, but I'm not," Kianna answered. "So unless you're planning to have me detained, let me pass."

____

He pulled his arm away and he stepped aside, shaking his head.

"You should know me by now, I don't gamble unless the odds are in my favor.." He said flatly, before he returned to his work.

as written by barney_fife and Script

One week later...

Having recieved her orders to find Kianna, Kathryn knew that this was a fairly important job, and could possibly make her career. Bringing the black SUV to a stop in front of one of Illuminene's many luxury Hotels, the young IAA agent stepped out.

Closing the door to the SUV with an audible thunk, she checked the card that showed the room number of where they would be staying.

Starting into the hotel, she made her way up the elevator before finding her way to the door of the presidential suite.

She raised her fist, and knocked on the door loudly several times, and waited quietly for a response.

____

It wasn't long before the door was answered by a slight young man with soft features and oddly pale hair. He wore civilian clothes that were surprisingly fashionable (by local standards) for someone whose files indicated that he had an almost total disconnect from the norms of human society.

"Good morning. Can I be of assistance?" Echo asked, his eyes inquisitive upon recognising the uniform that Kathryn wore.

____

The woman offered a nod before she withdrew her badge and ID card. "I'm special agent Connors with Imperial Intelligence, I'm looking for Kianna, she's not answering our summonses and the Emperor is concerned with her activities." She explained.

"Have you seen her lately?" She asked.

____

Echo frowned. "The last time I heard from her was six days ago," he said, "she contacted me at ten forty-nine pm requesting that I go to the Special Projects' lab to assist in the analysis of a blood sample. I waited there until four the next morning, but she never turned up."

He tilted his head, "Why is the Emperor concerned?" he asked, "Might she be in danger?"

The idea of Kianna being in peril was a strange one to Echo. She'd always come across as somewhat invulnerable to him.

____

This was a revelation to the young agent, she was under the impression that Kianna had gone awol, this was reflected in the confusion in her facial expression.

"Seems odd, is the lab local? I'd like you to take me there so I can investigate further." Kathryn said, making a notation.

"I'm not sure you know, but there's been a change in leadership, the new Emperor was concerned that Kianna may have deserted, I suspect something more sinister at hand. Let's go to the lab, I'll need to contact the CPF as well."

____

Echo paused, but nodded his head. His current assignment was indisposed, and he doubted he would learn anything from her waiting around in a hotel room. "It is, and of course," he replied, stepping out of the room and closing the door behind him.

He paused again when the agent went on to discuss the new Emperor. "Oh. I did not know that," he stated, frowning. He briefly ran the information over in his mind, and then filed it away for later thought. Did that mean he had to worship the shadow of the new Emperor? Or had that changed again?

Those were the sorts of questions that got him in trouble, however, and he resolved to find answers for them via alternative means. Certainly, Special Agent Connors hadn't said anything about it, so it didn't seem to be a problem right now.

"Yes, let's go," he said after a pause, clearly having taken a moment to process the information.

as written by Tiko and Script

Some time later...

Alyssa Nicklin was hard at working going over blood samples and filing records when Kathryn and Echo were admitted to the room.

"This is Special Agent Connors, with the Imperial Intelligence agency," one of her supervisors told her. "She wants to ask you some questions."

"Hey Echo, didn't expect you in today. Be with you two in just one moment," Alyssa said as she slid her rolling chair over in front of a computer where she popped a pen into her mouth so she could type in a few things before turning her attention to Kathryn. "Alright, how can I help you?"

The girl looked scarcely out of college, and like she hadn't seen the sun in years. From the empty coffee cups around the lab it wasn't hard to see where she spent the majority of her time.

____

"I'm looking for Kianna." Kathryn admitted, taking some notes in regards to the lab before she turned to the supervisor, and then back to Alyssa.

"From what Echo told me, she was supposed to report here to help with a blood sample, but she never reported, she's also not responded to our attempt to contact her." Kathryn explained.

"Firstly I want to know about the blood sample, in case there's a connection to her disappearance." Kathryn ordered. "I also need security footage from the last seven days." She said sitting on an empty chair.

"And the nature of the research that goes on here?"

____

Echo smiled fondly to Alyssa. "I did not expect to be here," he replied simply. He liked the young laboratory tech, she was always nice to him when he was sent to help in the labs.

"I believe that Kianna herself was in possession of the blood sample," Echo clarified after Kathryn spoke, "I did not locate any new samples on the night I was requested to come in."

____

"I'll need a little something more to go on than that," Alyssa remarked with a gesture to one of the lab tables. Hundreds of vials were arranged out.

"I can get you the security footage, but we have thousands of samples here," she explained. "We've been studying the gene mutations that are responsible for the heavy prevalence of mutants within Isiria. To help us better identify them, and perhaps even to formulate a treatment plan to suppress their mutations."

"I don't suppose you know anything about this sample you're looking for?" she inquired. "What's this all about anyways?"

She was pulling up some files to peruse their newest samples that had been logged this morning. Fifty-six in total.

____

"If Kianna is still in possession, it won't do us much good here." Kathryn said, turning to leave. "I want all surveillance footage that I mentioned, the samples aren't important right now." Kathryn explained as she pulled out her cell phone, dialing the illumene police department, and waiting for someone to answer.

____

"Illumene City Police Department," a woman's voice chimed over the phone. "How may we help you?"

____

"I'm Special Agent Kathryn Connors with Imperial Intelligence from the Aschen Empire. I'm investigating the disappearance of an individual of importance to the Empire. Is there any chance I can come up there and get some City Surveillance footage, as well as a log of any calls for service that night?" She asked. "I can provide verification to my identity when I arrive, but I'd like you to prepare what I've requested for transfer in the meantime." She said, taking some notes down.

"If you can't carry out my request, Transfer me to someone who can."

____

"One moment," the voice answered before the line fell silent for several minutes. After a time the woman on the other end spoke up again. "If you could provide me the date and times that you wish to have transferred, I'll get your request filed through. Drop by sometime after eleven and it should be in order as long as everything checks out."

____

"Everything within the last seven days, I'll be there around One, I still have a few leads to follow up before I proceed." She said. "Thanks for your cooperation." After the call was concluded she hung up.

"Last time Kianna was here, was there anything out of the ordinary? Was she acting strange?" Kathryn asked, turning back towards Alyssa.

____

Alyssa had been listening in, and the news that Kianna was missing was rather perturbing. It had her giving the matter a lot more of her undivided attention.

"Not that I can recall," Alyssa said before pausing. "Actually, hold on. There was something. It wasn't the last time she was in, but a bit over a week ago she did come in with a blood sample. It wasn't logged in with the rest. She said it was high priority though, and had me run some DNA tests."

Alyssa was back at the computer again, typing away and pulling up files and logs from the other week.

____

This had Kathryn's attention. She slowly made her way over to the computer where Alyssa was seated, pulling out a small data storage drive, she watched the screen.

"What do you have?" The Agent asked, watching as Alyssa pulled up the files on the computer.

____

Alyssa frowned. "That's strange. The test results aren't in the system. I know I ran them..." she said. "There's no backups either."

____

Kathryn frowned for a moment, shaking her head as the computer turned up nothing. "Awful strange wouldn't you think, either she deleted them or the Data got corrupted... if the former's the case, I wonder what she's trying to hide.." The Agent said, as she stood back up, and stepped away from the computer.

"Echo, we're done here." She said, as she turned to leave.

"I'm going to send a CPF team over to seize all the equipment in this laboratory, so Forensics and Data Retrieval can go over the Datadrive, and try to recover what she deleted." She said.

"In the meantime, you can all go home for the day, use of these computers is off limits. I'll have Illumene PD post a security contingent here until the CPF Can get a team dispatched." Kathryn said plainly.

"Your cooperation is appreciated, everything here will be returned when my investigation has been concluded. It's a matter of National Security you comply."

____

"Wait, what?!" Alyssa balked. "That's going to put us weeks, if not months behind schedule!"

It was clear she wasn't the least bit pleased with the abrupt turn of events, or the thought that the CPF would be in here tearing up her lab.

Part of her had the thought that she might have been better off remaining quiet, but the other part knew if it would help locate Kianna then it was a matter of national security.

She didn't like it, but she didn't have much choice but to comply.

____

"Is there any other assistance I can provide? Or may I return to my assignment?" Echo inquired of the agent, casting a concerned glance in Alyssa's direction. He could tell she was upset at losing her work, but there was nothing he could do about it.

____

The IIA Agent shook her head. "Make sure everyone leaves, secure the laboratory and Get Illumene PD out here to secure the Labs, after that you're dismissed and may return to your assignment. Very important, no one is to touch anything until the CPF get here." She said, picking up her phone and dialing out to Headquarters.

"Is the data ready to be picked up?" She asked. "Very good I'm on my way now." She said, hanging up.

"Empire's counting on you, Echo." She said, nodding as she turned to leave. Her next stop would be the Police station to pick up the video footage, and then back to her field office at the Imperial Admin complex.

as written by barney_fife

Later in the evening Kat had finally settled into her temporary office within the Imperial Administration Complex.

Setting her bag onto the floor next to the desk, she booted up the computron and leaned back as the AI interface started up.

A large screen flickered on in front of her, and she began to type, uploading the footage from the City into the computron.

"Filter footage, Kianna McGregor. Play filtered footage with Kianna, starting from the beginning." Kat instructed, and the AI hologram nodded, as data was exchanged across tens of thousands of lightyears in subspace in real time.

The agent poured herself a hot cup of coffee and settled in, it was going to be a long night.

as written by Tiko

There were only a few bits of footage containing Kianna in the days prior to her disappearance. The first was of her crossing the city by foot, and entering the hotel that she and Mollem were remaining in during their stay in Illumene. She had a newspaper under one arm, and her expression spoke of her sour mood.

Whatever transpired within that hotel had done little to improve her mood either, and when she appeared from the front entrance once more her scowl was etched deep. She flagged the first Taxi to pass her by and got in, slamming the door shut behind her.

The surveillance camera followed a path through the city as the Taxi returned her to the space-port where the Kobol's Gleaming was docked.

The next few instances of footage that contained Kianna were nothing of pointed note. A few trips to the lab over the next two days, but for the most part she seemed to have returned to her usual routine - albeit no longer frequenting the hotel she and Mollem were staying in as she instead opted to sleep aboard the Kobol's Gleaming.

The final bit that featured Kianna was her returning to the Kobol's Gleaming from the Imperial Admin Complex two nights after her altercation with Mollem. Zaria met her outside the ship and they exchanged a few words before Kianna boarded the ship. Zaria followed at her back.

It was a short time later that the ship departed Arastel.

As Kathryn's search went to the ship itself, efforts to access the datalink connection with the ship failed and she was forced to pull up the recordings of the Kobol's Gleaming onboard surveillance footage from the fleet HQ itself.

The on board records were of far better quality than those from the city-wide feeds of Illumene, and Kathryn had full audio recordings of the events aboard the ship. The first incident of note was from the night after she had been to see Mollem.

She had taken to her quarters and was hitting the wine heavily. Her mood was foul, and as she poured herself another glass her fingers turned white from gripping the bottle before she sent it hurtling into the far wall, leaving a spray of broken glass and wine all over it and the floor.

She swept her desk clear next, and everything on it went crashing to the floor before she placed her palms upon its surface to regain her composure. Her head was down when Zaria responded to the commotion.

"Eat shi-... what in the abyss? Kianna?" Zaria had said as her head and sidearm came into view.

"What do you want?" Kianna growled.

Zaria thumbed the safety on before lowering her arm and stepping inside.

"From the racket, I thought our masked friend was back," she answered.

Kianna snorted. "I'd take it as a welcome reprieve from dealing with my moron of a husband, and his absurd obsession with that fucking planet."

Zaria shifted uncomfortably before speaking. "Well bear in mind, he's a man. More often than not, the wrong head is doing the thinking. Close enough to the mark?" Zaria queried.

Kianna gave an amused snort at that. "Normally a welcome fact. Unfortunately this particular obsession of his is not so easily dissuaded. I watched this fucking place burn down around us once already from his idiocy. A year of hiding out in the back ass end of space, only for him to do it all over again. Nothing but ruin will come from that godforsaken place."

"I heard enough of the rumors to come to the conclusion he's a narcissistic prick with an undersized dick," Zaria answered. "So why haven't you ditched the overcompensating lout yet?" She checked the wall behind her before leaving against it and finally holstering her weapon.

Kianna closed her eyes briefly before growling, "Get out."

Zaria shrugged, turning to the door before stopping and giving a look back. "Just asking. Maybe you should really think it over when you stop being wasted and drowning in self-pity."

As she left and the door slid closed, there was another audible crash - this time Kianna throwing her wine glass against the door before she sank down into her chair. She spent most of the night there, in troubled thought.

In the two days following Kianna's outburst the only footage of her aboard the Kobol's Gleaming was of her returning from the city to partake in a few glasses of wine and then sleep, and a few bits of her pouring over some paperwork at her desk.

The second night of footage was of far more note.

Upon boarding the Kobol's Gleaming, Kianna had returned to her quarters as she was apt to doing, and was halfway through her first glass of wine when she pulled out her holopad, studying it for a time in deep thought. Finally she made a call.

"Echo?" she asked. "I want you to meet me at the lab tonight, in about two hours. I have a blood sample I want you to take a look at. I know it'll be closed, that's the point. Just meet me-"

And that was the last of the surveillance footage before it simply cut out.

as written by barney_fife and Tiko

The fact that the surveillance footage simply cut out was suspicious to the young agent. Once the video cut out, she rewound it five seconds before it cut out, and she watched it again, this time in slow motion.

"Show me all ship diagnostics and internal sensor logs right up until that datalink cut out." She ordered before she picked up her phone, and dialed.

"Hey, this is Connors, I've got a lead on Kianna, I'm going to need transponder access to the Kobols Gleaming, serial number thirty-five forty two." She ordered before she attempted to bring up the subspace transponder so she could remotely reactivate the Datalink. "Also, were probably going to need to seize the ship, so get in touch with fleet command." She added, hanging up the phone as she went over the sensor logs.

"What happened aboard that ship..." She muttered.

____

As Kathryn went over the surveillance footage again, nothing new would present itself from Kianna's quarters, but the diagnostic readings were far more informative. It wasn't any ship malfunction that had cut out the surveillance feed. Someone had deliberately turned it off.

When she pulled up the footage of the bridge, there was only a single individual at the communications station, and it wouldn't take Kathryn long to identify the individual as Zaria before the feed cut out.

____

The agent frowned at this revelation, she watched Zaria turn off the datalink several times before she shook her head.

"Gotcha..." She mumbled to herself.

At that moment she pulled Zaria's dossier, and her frown deepened before she dialed her superiors again.

"It's Connors again, we need a class one quarantine of all special projects assets, and a check on all sensitive government data, I have reason to believe I have found a Dominion spy in special projects, I think she made a move on Kianna when operation Tech con was launched. I'll update you when I have anything else." She said before she hung up.

She checked on the remote activation, with authorization from fleet, an attempt to override the activation sequence would likely prove fruitless, as the fleet command had revoked both Zarias and Kiannas command codes, and with Mollem no longer being emperor, his too were no longer valid.

____

Zaria's dossier did indeed identify her as Shade Dominion, a former member of Midnight to be precise. Kianna it would seem had mixed feelings on the woman, and the word obstinate was frequently used in her reports. Zaria's claims into her identity had been verified though, including her being marked for purging from Midnight prior to her leaving the Shade Dominion. She had been picked up by Kianna on Cryo nearly a year ago, where she and her ship had been taken by Cryon slavers before returning to the Empire. Despite her obstinate personality, she had excelled in all of their field tests, and was instated into the Special Projects Division within three months of her arrival.

The efforts to remotely reactivate the datalink were only half-successful. The surveillance feeds were't coming back online but neither were the commands being overridden, suggesting perhaps physical damage. The subspace transponder appeared functional though, and she would be able to pull up a location on the ship.

____

With the ships location established, Connors notified the fleet, with access to the systems she put the ship in a state of lockdown, preventing anyone on the ship from leaving, or taking the ship off of cryo.

At that moment the Hera class fleet tender, along with the Iconoclast Battleship Apocalypse were dispatched to Cryo with a simple mission, secure the Ship, and detain anyone aboard it.

The IIA agent leaned back in her chair and sighed, her job was done for the moment, and she was going to reward herself with some much needed sleep as the sun crept over the horizon.

as written by Script and Dashmiel

It had been several hours since Echo had answered the knock at the door of Nilin's hotel suite, and been swiftly whisked away by an Imperial Intelligence agent to investigate Kianna's disappearance. Only after having finished at the lab was he able to hurry back to his assignment, hoping that the ambassador hadn't needed anything important while he was gone.

He let himself into the suite, casting a quick glance around the front room. "I'm back, Nilin," he called. "Are you here?"

"Well afternoon Rhen'tenin Echo. I discovered a way to broadcast speech to the suite's musical entertaintment machinery. Isn't it marvelous? I'm in the plant room, the one with the bal-cony. Oh did I get my greeting correct? Why do the many colored specimens continue to attempt to raid the burrow of the big green one despite continuing to be eaten?" responded the ceiling's speaker to Echo's query at the front room.

In the rush of Nilin's excitement over her observations however, she neglected to consider that the quality of her transmission might suffer. The voice emanating from the speakers was both riddled with static and possessed of a speed of thought that the room's speakers could only strain to reproduce as lightly garbled squeaking frenzies amidst the static.

Echo winced somewhat, straining to catch the garbled words. His expression swiftly shifted to a smile as he identified the source as being Nilin. "Your greeting was correct, I think. The time of day is the afternoon. Sometimes people say 'good day' or just 'hello', but I don't think there's any pattern to it..." he mused thoughtfully on that line of inquiry for a few moments as he started to move through the suite towards the balcony. Despite making sweeping advances during his time on Isiria compared to that which he had spent amongst the Aschen military, some of the intricacies of human interaction still occasionally eluded him.

He stepped out onto the balcony with a smile of greeting. "How is it you were able to speak through the music player? Does it also function like a telephone?"

"I'm not sure it functions like the telephone device in the room, that one must be wired to some sort of dependent system. I think it's more like the telephonar devices I had you describe yesterday" she replied with a smile before frowning, "No, the cellular devices."

With a satisfied nod to herself, she continued her explanation for Echo, going over her work and fixing her previous mistakes as she went.

"Basically, I noticed that the music player seemed to have a function where it outputted an audible representaion of various electromagnetic waves I could detect in the air around us. After some observation, I deducted that modulating the frequency of these waves seemed to coincide with the different outputs the player had. It was just a matter of broadcasting the apropriately modulated wave at the player's receiving apparatus" Nilin finished with a flourish towards the patio's exterior speakers.

"How'd I do?" came the perfectly audible reply from a few feet away.

"Much better," Echo noted, "Your voice sounded strange before, high pitched and squeaky. Now it sounds normal." He had nodded along to her explanation with, apparently, full understanding. Though he lacked he capability to alter the waves as she could - having been warned off of attempting to mimic her biology due to the potential for disaster - it seemed that the application made perfect sense to him.

Electromagnetic waves were a lot simpler than emotions, after all.

"I apologise for my unexpected absence. There was an Imperial Intelligence agent who needed my assistance. Kianna is missing. Also, there is a new emperor. But I do not know if we are supposed to worship this one's shadow or not..."

Nilin briefly wondered whether there were enough merits to excuse kidnapping Echo should she find herself suddenly unwelcome before the thought was swept away from the front of her mind and went to join the myriad others she had currently set to the task of preparing for as many contingencies as she could think of for being abroad and in unfavorable circumstances.

The subservient part of her mind that functioned as the slowed down personality construct that she had tuned for her host's comfort however, betrayed no hint of the calculations behind her eyes.

"Maybe this one will be smarter and not focus so much on his shadow. It saddens me to hear the Aschen Mother is missing, I fear her children might not listen to what I have to say as favorably...Alas. Ready for today's lesson, Rhen'tenin?"

Echo smiled, and nodded his head with obvious enthusiasm. He'd been about to make a cautious comment on not throwing doubt onto the intelligence of the Emperor, in case they were being listened in on, but decided that since Mollem wasn't the Emperor any more, it was probably fine. Probably. Any worries over that were swiftly dismissed with the prospect of beginning their lessons.

Nilin's lessons were even more informative than his conversations with Jamie. Whilst his other friend was very good at explaining concepts to do with human interaction and emotions, he lacked the breadth of knowledge that the Va'nyrian ambassador possessed. And Echo was always eager to learn.

as written by Tiko, Dashmiel, and Script

As the days lessons got underway, a resounding knock came from the front door of the hotel suite.

Nilin paused in her explanation of philosophical concepts to arch an eyebrow towards her student.

"Are we expecting company?"

Echo turned to look towards the door with interest. "Not that I am aware of," he answered. "I will answer it."

The young golem made his way from the central room and across to the door, opening it enough to peer out into the hallway. "Hello?"

Echo was promptly met with several Isirian soldiers pointing guns at him as they moved into the room to drive him back enough for the rest to enter. Unlike Echo, Nilin was not treated to trained weapons as two of the soldiers stepped towards her with guns lowered.

"Ambassador," an officer said with a note of urgency. "We're here to relocate you by order of the Isirian government. It's an emergency, and I have been instructed to inform you that it is for your safety and that of your entire people."

It was the first that Nilin had really encountered the Isirian government on any level, as Kianna had seemed keen to keep Nilin's dealings through the Aschen directly.

Nilin rose from her where she sat in a fluid and calm motion, her demeanor no more perturbed than it would if the soldiers had come bearing food or flowers. Her gaze slowly roamed over the soldiers and their weaponry before settling on the addressing officer.

"Child," she began, her voice serene and placidly soothing, "there is no need for you to trouble yourself off so over the safety of my people. Nevertheless, you seem to be in haste so let us go," she said, her gaze coming to rest upon Echo briefly.

»"Mind your lessons Rhen'tenin, we shall be continuing them in the future"« she communicated her message to Echo completely wordlessly, her Va'nyr link transferring her thoughts to gently brush against his awareness. It was also not a one way street, but rather the opening of a silent channel of communication for him to have to her.

"At your leisure," she said to the officer, gesturing her readiness to proceed.

Echo seemed more peturbed than frightened by the forceful entry of the Isirian soldiers and the weapons they had levelled at him, and his reaction time was slow enough - thanks to his surprise - that they were able to push past him without any trouble. Thankfully, perhaps, for the soldiers, that gave him the opportunity to realise that at the very least they seemed not to mean Nilin any harm.

Still, he expression was fixed in an uncertain frown as he observed the brief interaction between Nilin and the soldiers. "Uhm," he piped up hesitantly, "I'm supposed to stay with the Ambassador. I don't think that changes in an emergency. Why are you pointing your guns at me? Aren't you on our side? What's going on?"

To Nilin, he replied with his mind, picking up on the technique seemingly without trouble. 'I'm supposed to be escorting you, though. I don't think they're supposed to be doing this.'

»"I suspect it has to do with the changes in the Aschen you told me about. A changing of the guard is oft a turbulent time, young one. It is wise to see where the current goes, observe and learn. I will make arrangements to find you if we are to be separated for long, and you may now speak to me at will, no matter how far apart,"« Nilin's reply to Echo was instantenous, and carried with it a flicker of serenity lending emotional weight to her message.

Her reply was the only one he would get as Echo's questions recieved no answer from the soldiers. Nilin was swiftly ushered out the door while Echo was treated little better than a dangerous prisoner as they gestured at him with guns to follow after.

Echo nodded his head slowly. Yes, Nilin was right. He ought not do anything rash. Until he knew more of what was going on, he would just cooperate. He moved as the soldiers directed, though he still showed no signs of concern regarding their guns. "Can I call my headquarters and ask them what I'm supposed to be doing?" he asked over his shoulder at the closest soldier, his tone making clear that the question was entirely genuine.

Again Echo was met with only silence as he was prodded along after Nilin where several nondescript cars were idling near the entrance to the hotel. Nilin was escorted towards a waiting car where a door was held open for her while Echo was swiftly directed towards a second vehicle with the gesture of a gun.

Having hesitated out of indecision thus far, Echo finally decided that the soldiers' silence didn't qualify as a 'no'. Slowly, he reached into his pocket and pulled out his cellphone... only for it to be swiftly snatched away by one of the soldiers. The young golem frowned at him. "You didn't answer..." he huffed, before getting into the car as directed. His equally optimistic question of "Where are we going?" was, predictably, met by silence.

as written by Tiko and Dashmiel

The car that Nilin was seated inside of rolled to a stop outside a nondescript looking building situated in the middle of the city. It blended into the surrounding buildings and businesses and possessed no identifying signs or names upon it. For all intents and purposes it seemed like nothing more than a simple office building.

A pair of men in suits opened the front door for her, and she was discretely escorted inside before the door closed behind her once more.

Inside the place was bustling with activity as the nature of the building was quickly revealed to Nilin. A government safe-house.

It was the vice president himself, Karl Lenhardt, who was first to greet her as he approached and offered his hand out to her.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, All Mother," he said with seeming sincerity. "I apologize for the manner in which you were brought here, but we had little time and a rare opportunity to act. I'm Vice President of Isiria, Karl Lenhardt, though shortly to be sworn in as President in the wake of President McConley's assassination."

Nilin had been carefully observing and documenting everything she had been exposed to during her trip to the safe house. While outwardly silent and serene, her powerful mind had been put to task to continue making sense of the situation she was in and preparing for any contingencies she might have had to take. She was ignorant of the players themselves, but she was relatively certain of what the game was.

"It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Isirian President. I sense the breeze of the winds of change around you and your people," she said with a slight bow of her head, mimicking what seemed to be a common gesture of respect among these people.

"I presume you believe me to be a part of your rare timed opportunity, and I am willing to hear out what you might have in mind," she paused for a moment, a thoughtful expression playing out in her features, entirely for his benefit.

"Provided that you prove to be better at speaking and listening than your Aschen lords demonstrated to me that is" she added.

"Your presumptions are not ill placed," Vice President Lenhardt answered. "The recent withdrawal of the Aschen fleets within Isiria in response to the resurgence of hostilities within the Sol System afforded us the chance to spare you and your people from the lies that they would feed you. I brought you here to show you the true face of the Aschen people. Have you seen the news in the past hour?"

"I have not, my time today was spent with my young escort," she replied casually. "I had my suspicions as to the manner of people we had the questionable fortune to first be exposed to in our new journey. By all means, please enlighten me".

Lenhardt nodded to one of the individuals seated at a desk within the room who gestured for Nilin to come over while he pulled up the live news feeds flooding in.

The Isirian President, McConley, shot and killed during his speech at the Lakeside District Massacre Memorial. Panicked civilians had closed in like vultures as the shooter was brought down by security, and wide-eyed men and women gawked on as aid came too late for their fallen President.

Snippets of interviews with onlookers were being aired by the news stations and emotions seemed mixed and enflamed.

One woman caught the attention of a camera that zoomed in on her location where she was being wrestled to the ground by armed security as she shrieked her support of the assassination.

"The Aschen are murderers! He betrayed us! He abandoned our sons and daughters!"

The situation was bordering on a riot as armed personnel were arriving to try and disperse the crowd.

Other snippets of news reports were being pulled up for Nilin as well. Some were showing footage of the masacre a year past, when Aschen soldiers had rounded up and executed seventeen unarmed civilians. The graphic content wasn't in the least bit censored as the men, women, and even children were lined up against walls and shot in the head.

It was a small number in the wake of the Gilihi Massacre of one-hundred and forty-three civilians during a protest turned violent, but it was where it had all started. Many even said that the Lakeside District Massacre was the birthplace of the Isirian resistance movements. They said that as long as the faces of those who died there one year ago were never forgotten, then there was hope yet for liberation.

"The 'peace' you see around you came at a very bloody price," Vice President Lenhardt said grimly. "Those who were 'different' were eliminated, and those who protested were silenced. Our technology was inferior, and a direct conflict would have spelled the end of our people in its entirety, so President McConley sacrificed the few for the many."

The outward personality fascimile of Nilin beheld the images presented to her in stoic silence. Her true self however, did not find this as sufficient data to form an informed opinion, so she hunted for more.

Wordlessly, the tendrils of her consciousness spread through the air around her, propagated by her Va'nyr link, gently probing the multitudes of EM signals in the air and passively tapping into them. In the space of a few seconds, she managed to make them coalesce into something that her brain could directly interpret.

Her first taste of the Isirian internet was an offer for her to meet nubile Isirian women. Nilin was now online.

Within a minute, her voracious appetite for information had consumed everything that the Isirian communication networks across its systems had available relating to the Aschen Empire. Everything from official propaganda, to shady hidden conspiracy forums, to Isirian resistance films, to News broadcasts and in between was scanned and digested by her.

She was glad that these people had not yet discovered how to digitalize emotion, for the data she gathered painted a startingly stark picture of an entire culture held hostage by a force so far it's superior that she almost found it illogical that they would have bothered in the first place.

In her very long life, she had not come across more than a handful of examples of such one sided abuse by a single civilization in such a large and systemic fashion, The rationale behind most of the events she gleamed was simply too foreign to her; it was as if she was witnessing a small child unleashing a nuclear explosion upon a colony of insects.

»"Rhen'tenin Echo...,"« she mentally asked her young charge, their distance apart inconsequential, »"Would you believe this to be an accurate description of your handler's disposition?"« her question included everything she had gleamed during her research, flawlessly redigested for Echo. It also included her disgust for such actions. She was certain the young golem wouldn't have trouble with the large amount of information shared.

as written by Script

Echo's reply came after no small delay. His transmission was less elegant, and the emotion contained within much less deliberately placed. A mess of alarm, confusion and shock, mixed with guilt and regret. 'Kianna told me that only the ones who fought, and wouldn't surrender, were supposed to be killed. But then everything got out of hand, and people didn't do what they were supposed to. She said it was wasteful, and a mistake. I didn't understand what she meant by that. It didn't sound like she meant it was an accident, but that's what a mistake is, isn't it? She is always more difficult to understand than most people. They must have had reasons, mustn't they? The people that did it?'

as written by Dashmiel and Tiko

Nilin tried her best to send Echo tranquility to ease his maelstrom of emotions along with an unspoken promise to discuss this further at a later time before turning her gaze outward from herself and beholding the soon to be President of Isiria.

"I understand now the 'price' you've paid," she said solemnly "What is it that you believe or expect of us?"

"We've already begun plans to seize advantage of the Aschen's withdrawal of their ships from our systems," Lenhardt answered. "Our own ships have been upgraded and outfitted with Aschen technology and weaponry, and we have the advantage of distance if it comes to an ongoing war. We've learned though that the Aschen would just as soon destroy what they cannot control. If they can't win a war, I fear they will attempt to simply destroy our systems entirely."

His expression was grim, but also determined as he continued speaking. "I witnessed what your single ship was capable of when you first appeared within Isiria, and the ease at which it shrugged off Aschen weaponry. I have no expectations, only idealistic hopes. At minimum I hope to spare your people the deception and lies of the Aschen. At best I would extend a hand of friendship in the hope of brokering an alliance between our people to the ends of protecting the future of Isiria's existence."

The lines on Nilin's face were creased in a slight frown. "You've already given me the knowledge of the Aschen's true nature. This is information that we did not previously have, and for that you are owed a debt, however...," she briefly mulled over how to respond.

That these people needed help was obvious, but what they needed help with the most was not what she and her people were in the business of providing. They had left those roots long ago in their past.

"There is something you must understand. The Va'nyrian Consensus as an entity does not embrace war. It is not a practice we'd wish to engange in with anyone ever again. It is simply not what we do, and there is only a relatively small amount of us currently visiting your corner of the Universe," her tone thus far had been stern and official, but it softened before she continued, "That being said, a hand in friendship is not something we take for granted or dismiss lightly. Perhaps we might be of some assistance to your people and their future."

"I do not ask you to fight our war for us," Lenhardt replied. "I only ask that you give us a fighting chance. You have seen the nature of their weaponry. If we stand and fight, they will fire a singularity cannon at Arastel - or worse - the sun, and be done with it. They care nothing for casualties, and use our own reverence for the lives of our people to keep us compliant. If we can take this war to the ground we stand a chance."

Nilin nodded thoughtfully and considered what her people could do to help, and if it was a set of actions worth doing. On the one hand, gaining antagonists this early on their mission was hardly a set back they needed, but by the same token some form of native allies could provide invaluable in their needs for information.

There was also the fact that the shadow of the warrior that still lived within her found what she had seen so far of the Aschen's subjugation tactics personally disdainful.

"I believe we can provide some aid in that regard," Nilin proclaimed, her voiced once again stately. "It is certainly well within our capabilities to negate any superweapons of the like that I'd witnessed so far. But I forsee the Aschen will take longer than strictly necessary to see the futility of that sort of doctrine, which might force us to actually spend a good deal of our resources..." Her voice trailed off as she looked to the future President of Isiria.

The look and Nilin's words didn't go misunderstood by Lenhardt. He did not begrudge her their meaning though. No civilization - regardless of culture or advancement - ever reaches a true state of altruism. It flew in the face of nature itself.

"We are not in a position to barter," Lenhardt replied. "Ask what you will, and I will see if it is within our capabilities to provide it."

"Compared to what the Aschen have asked of you already, you'll find our aid much less costly," Nilin began. "This would not be the first time we've made a similar agreement with others in a similar place such as your people. Our proposal is simple: When it comes to resources, we'll likely be able to replenish most of them ourselves given enough time, and what we can't we'd be willing to trade for in fair negotiation at a later time."

"What we'd need from you today to is thus: Space. A place of to establish a stable base of operations would greatly aid our endeavors. Even if we have to see it be carved away from the hands of your opressors. This also helps you in that our price can not possibly be met until you succeed, and thus we have every incentive to see you do so if we want to receive said space."

Lenhardt mulled her request over before replying. "We have several uninhabited planets within the Uranos system that are in the early stages of teraforming," he explained. "This is a decision I cannot make solely, but you will have your answer by tomorrow."

Nilin briefly pondered Lenhardt's reply, or at least seemed to do so. That there would be ample opportunities to secure their own space elsewhere was a certainty. The universe did not lack for empty expanses of space. What she sought was to determine how willing they'd be to provide with what she expected would be a hefty commodity to them. To ask the opressed if they'd be willing to part with some of their space to safeguard their liberation was an intentionally pointed request.

It showed her that in comparsion, what she was really after would seem trivial.

"There is also, one other thing we'd be interested in," she countered. "For a very long time, my people have devoted themselves to cataloguing the knowledge of the Universe and it's peoples. Information is to us, a valuable commodity, and one we trade like others might matter. In addition to space, we would have access to your histories and an agreement to engage with us in our practice of trading for future knowledge your civilization might discover."

Her tone did not change and her glance continued to outwardly appear the same, but Nilin was carefully examining the dignitary before her with all of the immensely rigorous scrutiny that only a Va'nyrian gaze can command.

Lenhardt mulled over the woman’s second request, searching for some trap or hidden catch within it. It was such a simple request that surely he was missing something. Or perhaps he had simply grown jaded at the hands of the Aschen.

“Our histories are public knowledge,” he explained. “I am certain we can arrange a means of helping your people to efficiently access that knowledge.”

With agreements proposed between the future president of Isiria and the Va’nyrian ambassador, the pair had parted ways to discuss matters among their own people - a matter that would take the Isirians far longer to come to terms on it would seem.

The day came and went, and still the Isirians debated and discussed. Weighed and counter-weighed. Many were hesitant to enter into arrangements with the alien people, fearing that they would only subject themselves to greater risk and greater subjugation than that experienced at the hands of the Aschen. Better to live with the evil that they know, than face the potential of a greater unknown threat. Many equally favored a chance of freedom and independence in favor of compliance with the Aschen subjugating their people, and executing their citizens with impunity born out of the cowardice of the late President McConley. Back and forth the discussions waged on, both sides equally fierce in their resolve.

Word was sent to the Va’nyrian ambassador as to the delay, and it would be a full three days before a decision was finally reached. In the end it had been Lenhardt’s confidence and fervor that had tipped the scales of the arguments into a definitive decision. Few could look upon the man standing firm in his resolve and not feel a strength kindled within their own chest that they not only could, but would endure. Equally few could deny the shame within, that day by day they sacrificed their own citizens to appease the Aschen while hiding behind the excuse that it was for the good of the many to cover for their own cowardice. They had a duty to their citizens. All of their citizens. Better to stand and fight and pay the price of freedom than to abandon thousands of their own to persecution and execution.

Isiria would place its trust in the Va’nyrians, and wage war against the Aschen. Preparations would begin immediately.

The weeks following Mollem’s fiasco within the Sol System proved an unlikely and openly welcomed opportunity for Isiria. With the Aschen Empire caught up in affairs in Valore, and the appointing of a new Emperor, Prince, they had been working their own machinations for the days to come.

The Empire’s focus was now divided between Excelion, the TNG, and now Isiria, all at varying points in the vast galaxy. There was no better time to make their move than now.

As orders went out across Isiria, life within the Aurora would never be the same again.

The Imperial Administration complex was utter chaos in the hours following the Dominion attack in Sol, the Imperial Authorities had reacted fairly quickly given their information distribution networks across the Empire.

There was one resolution the Quorum had made, having weighed the pros and cons, they determined that the cost to keep Isiria under occupation, outweighed the tax, and tribute income they were receiving. It was morning in Illumene when the order came down the pipeline, the Isirians coming in to work at the Administration complex were finding Aschen loading crates of computer equipment, moving them out to the rooftop, and the most glaring sign was the Reverence II looming overhead, the shimmering purple light of it's gravity lift bathing the facility, as cargo was being lifted up into the belly of the craft.

They also found termination notices, their jobs were being terminated, with their final paycheck sealed in a small envelope on each and every one of their desks.

The process was ongoing, little by little equipment was being dismantled down to the concrete walls, loaded into boxes and shipped up into the Reverence. Soldiers were checking weapons, going over equipment, cataloging it, and then packing it up for shipment.

The entire process took roughly three hours, three long but well organized hours, and with the final packages cleared, the lights were shut off, and the last team ascended the gravity lift into the Reverence, which ascended high into the atmosphere, and then flickered out with it's escorts, the small Aschen force disappearing entirely from Isiria.

Back