Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Imperial Scatteran Space

Tiko

Draconic Administrator/Mentor
Administrator
Mentor
Nexus GM
as written by Sentry

Out here, on the observation deck, Ai could see everything.

The walls were thick, but so clear that it was as though she had stepped right out of the ship and was swimming among the stars. She absorbed all their lights and memorized them, learning about them. From her home planet, she never had this clarity. The universe gave itself to her in all its entirety.

These moments of peace did not last long. Always, always, they had to bother her. They had to pull her away from exploring the stars and bring her back to this dull prison. This ship that held them captive for months since...

"We've been searching for you, Ai. We need you back at Command."

Turning around, she spotted the ship's captain. Massive in stature, voice so powerful that Ai felt the ground quake. Without starlight to bake her armor, she had become a dull beige. Nothing about her was any less menacing, however.

"You don't take my decisions into consideration," Ai replied sharply. "Why does it matter that I join you?"

Hesitant, the captain clicked her teeth, rapping them in quick succession. "The Remnant listens to you. Only to you."

"But I must answer to you. How long has it been since you have even thought of asking for help? We're going to die here! Because of your stubbornness! I am tired of seeing everyone drifting. What if you go mad? What do I do?"

The captain's gaze dropped to the floor. She had seen it too, the ones who began to wander aimlessly around, purpose lost. "We cannot be too careful. The amount of hostiles we could encounter-"

"No!"

Startled, the thrum-voiced captain placed her gaze back onto Ai. Her hands were flat against the firm membrane of the Remnant, nerves spilling and connecting to the intricate wires. "I've already made my decision, with or without you. There are other lights here. There are people! I don't know who they are, but they might be able to help us. You have to trust me. I'm not just a child. Not after everything that's happened."

Before the captain could move a muscle, the shudder that went through the ship shook her down to her feet. Everyone knew what it was, and soon it would reach those that Ai had seen so far away. She gave them a message, something universal and undeniable among sapient species: a cry of distress. A wail.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Ottomanand Sentry

It always seemed to linger in one's ears when one awoke from a nightmare - the sound, whatever it had been, to drive one to wake. Crimson eyes meandered about the ceiling of his cabin, regarding the industrial edges of the quarters afforded to his station, reflecting on the silence of the room as the sound died from his ears. It had been startling, painful almost, the cry that had struck him from his rest, and Eugen let out a lengthy sigh into the chilly, recycled air. The Zwerg sat up from his bunk and brought a hand up to rub the dust from his eyes, flicking it away and glancing to the projection on the wall alongside him. There were no windows on these vessels, no true portals to glimpse the heavens with, but these projections were afforded to some - recordings from the cameras all along the outside of the hull.

The billowing, vibrant nebulas were always his favorite.

In but a few moments he was up and out from under the comfort of the covers, donning the uniform he'd only slipped out of a few hours prior. He still had a good two hours left before his shift off ended, but he wasn't going to do anything worthwhile laying around his quarters - Togas knew that there was no getting back to sleep once he'd been roused. A tired hand slipped over his bare crown, glad now, despite wishing otherwise at times, that his people were without the hair their Scatterran comrades possessed, that missing step saving him a deal of time as he made himself presentable. Only once his tie was fixed did he bother with his gloves, his covered hands pulling his beret onto his brow as the last piece of the uniform fell into place. The Zwerg regarded his headgear in the mirror, tilting it ever so slightly to the left that it rested at a more daring angle on him - he might not have any hair to show off, but it made him look that more personable, enough that he paid his reflection a small smile.

"Kapitän Metzger?"

The words, strained through an electronic filter, echoed in his quarters, startling the captain as he looked away from the mirror, not expecting such an interruption. He recognized the voice, the inflections, even if Togas was only reading his XO's unsigned reports. The mutant's shoulders relaxed, a momentary sigh preceding his words as he looked to the air, as if speaking to some disembodied spirit. "Yes, Edwards?" The speaker hesitated a moment, though it was evident by the other's tone that there was something amiss.

"I do hate to disturb you, Kapitän-"

"It's alright, Edwards, I'm... I'm already up." The black-clad officer admitted, hoping to assuage the man on the other end of the commlink. There was no trespass here, no offense, as far as the commander saw it. Regardless of what Togas thought, whatever good his words might have done, Edwards remained perturbed, the transmission coming once more as the captain fiddled with the cuff of his sleeve.

"... we need you on the bridge as soon as you can get here, sir."

"What's the situation?"

"Ah... I'll let you know if I get a better picture when you get here, Kapitän."

---

"... an electromagnetic pulse?"

"It could be any number of phenomena." The Austran navigation officer offered, shrugging as she mused so aloud. There were certainly several stellar oddities and anomalies that could produce a pulse of that magnitude, but the others gathered weren't sold on the speculation. "I know what it looks like but the Co-"

"Don't say it."

The Austran paid a harsh glance to the Helvett officer who hushed her, narrowed eyes belying her thoughts on the childish superstition the other bought into. Just saying a name didn't summon something, and it would take an act of God for their enemies to push this far into their borders without someone else noticing. They'd received no word concerning any incursion thus far - no colonies had gone dark, no fleets had encountered any scouts and certainly no dreadnoughts. "... but the Collective hasn't ever pushed this far into the Outer Empire, at least not in the sectors this side of the Gate."

"But the gravitational anomalies do seem to point towards ships?" The Zwerg captain's words rang out across the table, bringing the discussion to a premature end, silence hanging over the small council of officers gathered. He waited for an answer, one that didn't come for a good minute or two.

"... a fleet, sir."

Metzger's severe, alien visage shifted only slightly as he ran his tongue across his teeth. There was the chance that this was a Collective incursion, or an offensive action taken against the Supremacy in some fashion, but that was no guarantee. "Get us there."

"Are we moving to engage, Eugen?"

The officer looked up to his Scatterran lieutenants, tapping his finger on the table.

"I pray not."

____

It was chaos aboard the Remnant. Ai lay in the corner of the command room, hand flat against her stomach. A blue liquid oozed between her fingers. The captain was screaming order, the flat of her tail beating against the ground, giving everyone a clear signal of her frustration. They were cornered here. They could not jump. The only other option there had was to fight, but their ship was hardly outfitted for battle.

Loud. So loud. Every stringy receiver that Ai had spun to find the stars were retreated behind thin flaps of skin in her skull. It was too much. The Remnant was alight and speaking to her, and all she could tell it was not to arm.

"We're going to attempt a jump. I'm not risking this," hissed the captain. "Force it. Get us as far as it will manage."

"You're rather suicidal, captain," replied a voice over the madness. There, managing controls on Ai's right. A grey-toned, lithe man with misty eyes. Ridges lined his back like brittle sea shells. His muzzle was white with age. The lines at the edges of his mouth lifted in a smirk.

"I don't believe you fully understand the dangers of foreign lifeforms as I do."

"I understand the dangers of our captain attacking an unarmed, fellow comrade."

A short silence followed his retort, as everyone in the cabin stopped to stare at the two. Tenseness filled the air. Alas, the captain spoke.

"Activate the ship's defensive systems."

-------------

The Remnant was not a large ship compared to most others. Five hundred feet in length and two hundred in width, it was fairly streamlined. Unlike the contemporary designs that humans favored, this ship looked like something straight from the depths. Squid was definitely the first word that could possibly be used to describe it. It glowed softly, and the first few layers of its membrane were clear as water. Most unnervingly, it had eyes. Six black masses on either side of its vessel.

And it waited. Silently. Patiently.

____

Were it that anyone on board the Remnant wished to escape detection, they were too late the moment the pulse had gone out. Their Imperial Majesties' Interstellar Vessel Eduard Dollmann caught the energy fluctuation the moment it flared up, the signal having bounced off of deep-space buoys and carried to the nearest imperial capital ship, and despite the debate that had flared up in the ready room on board Eduard, the task force was en route to these alien signals within the hour. Captain Eugen Togas Metzger didn't know what to expect, whether this was some new Collective ploy or the prelude to another massive incursion, and so he gave the reluctant order for the ships to assume combat formation once they dropped out of FTL - the fourteen vessels of his patrol task force were arrayed in something of a layered fan, all with the precious Interdiktor class cruiser at the rear, a shield for their psychic trump card.

The first to arrive were the Wichts, a twin pair of industrial tuning forks, their proverbial eyes turning immediately on the Remnant and her charge, the spines along their ventral length beginning to spark and arc with electrical energy. The cruisers readied weapons but didn't fire, their captains having the sense to hold off until the rest of the group arrived, which came in good order - all caught inside of the same displacement, the Wache and her support compliment arrived. It wouldn't be unfair to compare the Eduard Dollmann to a spearhead in space, albeit once bristling with turrets and twenty kilometers long. Not unlike morays dropping from a shark, the dozen remaining frigates and destroyers pulled away from the anchor of their task force, filling out the fan that they were bidden to. The last to arrive, but certainly not the least, was the Interdiktor TIMIV Caltrop - an otherwise miniature vision of the Wache battlecruiser, save for the bulbous spheres included in its hull.

The ships were well within an astronomical unit of the unknown contacts and closing quickly, the hundreds, if not thousands, of turrets on the imperial ships gathered began to track on targets, while some scanned the surrounding space for any new additions to the soiree. But, beyond the cackling and arcing energy of the Wichts and the Orloks, there was no visible activity from any of these industrial, angular vessels as they closed the gap between themselves and the Misranans. However, despite the cool, composed picture the imperials may have presented, their comm-lines were awash with a harried choir of cacophonous chatter.

---

"... I repeat, Kapitän Metzger, I request permission to fire!"

"Six contacts, all biomechanoid, we're doing our best to jam transmissions but we don't even know if they operat-"

"... I-... Tell the lieutenant he is not cleared to deploy strikecraft! These could be area-defense corvettes for all we-"

"This is the Caltrop, we have all unknown contacts seized-"

"Kapitän Metzger, do I have permission to fire?!"

The bridge of the Eduard Dollmann was being assailed by comms from every corner of Metzger's task force, and the Zwerg captain was doing well enough to keep his own vessel, his own officers, under control, much less the entire group. If these contacts were any other kind of ship, if they were at least, in any way, industrial, then there wouldn't be this breach of discipline, this breach of calm - but the sight of any sort of living vessel had already entered into the collective Scatterran consciousness as a harbinger of doom, as a prelude to an invasion on a scale that the human peoples of the Milky Way had yet to conceive, and it showed in the reactions of the imperials. Even Edwards was assailing Togas with requests for things that should never cross their minds - firing blindly was what got them into that titanic war, all those centuries ago, and the Kapitän would be damned if he would be the one to doom trillions more to death.

"Kapitän Metzger, Bloch and Krämer are requesting your permission to-"

"Belay that request, Kapitänleutnant-"

"Sir, this is-"

"This is a first contact scenario and I said belay that request!" The mutant roared as he spun on his heels, having been looking over the shoulder of one of the ensigns overseeing the sensor readings of these vessels, his pale skin and blood-red eyes a stark contrast to the jet-black wool of his uniform. "Stand down, or you will be relieved of your command, Kapitänleutnant Edwards. You forget yourself, sir." The Azrican seethed for a moment as he looked down to the short, broad ab-Terran who commanded him, though he didn't have but a moment before the Zwerg closed with him, a firm, vise-like grip on his arm as Togas pulled his XO away from the console and the prying ears of the ensign. "Martin," He began, his voice hushed now, speaking to his friend, and not his subordinate. "Are we going to have a problem?"

The Azrican steeled himself for a moment as he considered the captain's words - Eugen's words - and having known the man for years, having served under him for years, that the Zwerg would never willingly endanger his ship, his command, or his homeland without good reason. Everyone's actions here were born out of fear, out of a common concern for the Supremacy as a whole - and perhaps Togas and his ilk, the Zwerg, handled a situation like this so well was because they had dealt with the Collective on a personal level before. They had come to wipe them out on Aulë for refusing their theocracy, to eradicate the Zwerg, but they had been pushed back. But the Collective wasn't defeated by their tenacious insurgency or unyielding courage in the face of extinction, but by the grace and the determination, the steely discipline of their Scatterran benefactors - the Supremacy was the only reason why the Zwerg existed at all anymore. The Scatterrans had always found themselves to be the masters of their environs wherever they went, until they met those extragalactic horrors - but the Zwerg? The Zwerg had never amounted to anything, had always been forced into the shadows, under rocks, in hiding, until the Austrans came.

They were intimidating to be sure, but to the Zwerg the Collective had proven to be their vehicle to the stars, to greatness.

"No, Eugen."

The Zwerg bit his lip at that, blinking gratefully as he nodded, his grip lessening on the man's arm. "Good, good..." But the task force still demanded his attention, having quelled the trouble on his own ship easily enough. "Ensign Denija, get me Block and Krämer," Metzger spoke, looking to the Soruk comms officer as he moved back to his station and the holographic projection of the tactical situation. "As soon as possible, if you coul-"

"-osefine's tits, Metzger, we're sitting-"

"Kapitän Bloch - you are an officer of the Imperial Starfleet, mind your tongue." The Salian defector always lacked the etiquette his imperial comrades possessed, but he was an apt commander, and they were lucky to have him in their camp now. "Bloch, Krämer, you do not have permission to fire, we are not starting another war here." A momentary glance to his comms officer brought the stern Zwerg to issue the general order to his entire task force, if only through the proxy of Denija, though he kept his two cruiser captains on the horn for a moment longer. "Keep your weapons charged but by the holy thrones themselves if you so much as sneeze without my authorization I will have you waiting tables on Neu-Lumen within the hour - am I understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Aye, Metzger."

The Zwerg sighed again, calling up a comms channel on his own console with the Caltrop, the psychic support vessel, and its captain - within moments a visual feed was displayed on the small screen below the holographic projector, the sharp, Austran features of the woman greeting him belied her nature. It was only after she smiled that one saw her fangs. "Are my cousins giving you trouble, Metzger?" A joke aimed at the nomenclature of the vessels possessing the Vampir weapons arrays, the Orlok and Wicht classes, having head well enough Bloch and Krämer chattering away. "You know I can't stand my family-"

"It's been resolved," Togas murmured, having little time for jests at the moment, glancing back up at the tactical display. "You have them held, Menzel?" The Alfar on the screen before him nodded in confirmation.

"Aye, sir, ready to-"

"Release them."

The look of confusion that she wore remained, even after her commander explained the situation. "I don't want anything that can be construed as a hostile act here - release them, though keep your psykers on standby. I want them held fast if they try and dash away." A brief, stiff salute came from the commander of the Interdiktor before the view feed terminated, the console returning to its previous menu as Togas looked up, back to the unknown ships, tiny, minuscule dots in space compared to their warships. Now came the difficult part - communication.

"Denija, transmit, all known languages..."

---

"Attention unidentified vessels, this is Their Imperial Majesties' Interstellar Vessel Eduard Dollmann, please identify yourselves and state your purpose in this region. You are trespassing in space claimed by their Imperial Majesties Josef and Josefine Kampf, and her Highness the Baroness Tristana Aodha. We await your response.

Any attempt to flee or establish extrastellar communication will be treated as a criminal act."

____

It was silent in the ship, but Ai could feel the panic flooding the room. She had seen a million lights in the distance, but she hadn't imagined this many would come. The Remnant scanned every one in sight the best it could, but the technology was so alien. They couldn't begin to understand.

All the same, Ai couldn't help but drop her jaw in awe. Her eyes closed, and the delicate cilia beneath her skin spilled out, taking in their lights. This close, their images were so crisp. It didn't last the eternity she wished. Their speakers boomed with the transmissions sent from the other ships in languages no one understood. There was a brief exchange in glances around the room.

"Send a message in reply. If we can't understand one another, we'll have to learn to do so," said the captain.

"We are the refugees from the planet Misrana. We are in dire need. We mean no harm."

To the Hegemony ships, the transmission was nothing but clicks, squeaks, and tweets. It sounded like a zoo in there.

____

The imperial ships remained in position, resting where they had fanned out, making no move to agitate the Misranan vessels so long as they made no moves themselves. On the bridge of the battlecruiser the chaos had died down, though there was still a definite, tense edge to it all. Metzger had just had ensign Denija transmit a general alert to other Sternflotte forces stationed in the area, and though they were hours, if not days, away, they would at least be made aware of the situation - peaceful first contact, thus far. The Soruk comms officer was about to inform the captain of the Misranan response when another one of Togas' requests bore fruit, another deck officer, an Austran, speaking, "Three, sir." Garnet eyes shot up to the young man who spoke, the captain letting such information stew in his mind for a moment or two before replying.

"In the twenty parsec range?" He knew what he had asked before, but Eugen simply wanted to make sure that this was what the ensign was reporting, that these weren't the results of a larger scan. He wouldn't have put it past the man to check the fifty parsec range, just to be sure, but it was more a case of Metzger hoping that the other's answer wasn't as dire as it had sounded.

"Aye, sir." It was just what the man didn't want to hear, the Zwerg hanging his head slightly as he mulled over the thought, which drew a silent, mouthed 'Fuck.' out of him. Three gas giants within twenty parsecs - three potential staging areas for a Collective response to this, if this was some Collective ploy. They hadn't the ships to deal with any significant number of hostiles, and they certainly hadn't the manpower to deal with three potential points of entry. Eugen was busy biting his lip, fretting over the holographic projection in front of him when Denija spoke up.

"... Kapitän? We have a response."

That caught his attention, the officer rising from where he had been leaning on the table the projector was centered inside, looking to his subordinate for but a moment or two before starting towards her. "What have we got?" The short figure was already in arm's length by the time she replied, looking over her shoulder to her own console.

"Nothing intelligible I'm afraid, sir. It's... an alien language." No common speech patterns, nothing derived from any form of Terran or Scatterran linguistics. She played back the audio received from the vessel, broadcasted in manners that they were largely ignorant of, though they picked up on the signal easily enough. The noises were certainly foreign to them, but Togas' severe gaze betrayed his thoughts.

"Have you compared it to our records of Collective languages?"

"Yes, sir."

"No connections?"

"None that we can ascertain."

That at least gave him some hope that this might not end badly, but he knew, as many did, that the Collective was an alliance, a union of a great many peoples and species. There could be untold numbers that belong to their league that the Supremacy had not yet encountered, and this could be one such member race. "Try morse," Metzger ventured, figuring they'd nothing to use in the attempt. "Try any method of non-verbal communication we have, and get me Kapitän Menzel." The line of communication back to the Caltrop was only established once he'd returned to his 'post', the server visage of the Interdiktor's captain returning to his console's display.

"Menzel, I need an empath."

The Austran Alfar pursed her lips for a moment, pondering the matter before nodding. "I think I know just the one."

as written by Krysis, Ottoman, and Sentry

Verena Fleischer had been following the situation as best she could with what access she had to the external cameras. A solid blue glowing ring outlined the sealife-like ship as she accepted what details she and the other psykers nearby were allowed to receive. One of her friends, Uschi, poked her shoulder and grinned, "So, whatcha searching for?"

"Alien life. I'm getting fainter readings from further off, but I don't think it is a problem." Vera gave her friend a sad smile in their reflection. Uschi, or rather, Ursula, was having a difficult time of things. The slightly older female preferred women, but as a psyker she was required to breed. That meant that she was being pushed to marry and have kids, which was still considered the superior way. If she hadn't been so talented, she would have been allowed to love who she wanted to, as long as she surrendered the means to procreate to the state.

"Hostile?" Ursula asked as she wrapped her arms around the noble born teenager's middle and rested her small, pointy chin on the taller girl's shoulder.

"I don't think so. When I search for 'hostility', it fades to almost nothing. I think they are scared we're going to hurt them. Yet a cornered beast will bite, and a race intelligent enough to fly that might do more than just mangle your hand." Vera pointed out, staying very still as she endured knocking the edge off of her friend's desires. The younger female turned her head just a little when her name was spoken, but it made her soft black hair sway into Uschi's face before she finally pulled away to see why she was being summoned.

Uschi gave a shudder as she inhaled the smell of the locks in her face before she whispered, "Be careful, V. It's going to be more dangerous than you know. I got a warning about you."

Verena gave a nod and patted at Uschi's arm before she pulled away. She gave a reassuring smile to her friend before the door shut, ignoring the foreboding feeling that accompanied that knowledge of a 'warning'. After all, those warnings had been had and avoided before.

Through a bewildering array of handlers, the young psyker officer was guided to the side of the captain of the ship. Conversation didn't seem to be necessary, since it was obvious what was going on, but sooner or later Vera would mention, "I can only transport one person at a time, and only to where I can see. If things go badly, that might be important to keep in mind."

____

Menzel paid Verena a small glance as their transport prepped for launch, the captain strapping herself in without much thought. "That could be just enough to pull an officer out of danger, even if it is only where you can see." A few meters could mean the difference between life and death, after all, were it that they were to meet whoever piloted these ships in person - if anyone piloted them at all. The elder woman didn't say much to the other for the duration of their short flight, only bothering to introduce her once they too stood on the bridge of the Eduard Dollmann, the both of them standing before the diminutive, if imposing, Kapitän Metzger. The Zwerg pulled himself away from his preoccupations at the arrival of the other mutant and psyker.

"Kapitän Metzger, this is Scharführerin Fleischer," The Alfar offered, glancing to the psychic Landwächt beside of her. "She might not be the strongest empath but she has... curious talents, ones that can prove most useful in a bind." The man nodded at that, saluting Verena in the imperial fashion before offering his hand to shake, refraining from the naval salute as not to upset anyone's sensibilities, if there were any to be offended. Despite standing a good head shorter than both of the women, his voice proved a hearty bass, hardly impeded by his stature.

"A pleasure, Scharführerin, though I fear we must get straight to business," Togas sighed, his own anxiety audible in his words, if not present in his subterranean features. "We need to know what they're feeling - vague, I know but I don't know how else to put it. Any particular emotions or feelings they might have running through them." Fear, anger, uncertainty, or deceit.

____

"That is easy. They are afraid, uncertain, but not hostile as a whole." Fleischer answered serenely, giving a little smile and a shrug. "The nearest hostiles are barely within range for me to find them at all, and it isn't a strong enough reading for a definite heading. That is to say, not a concern. If I were to make the guess, I would say these people are just lost."

Verena was reluctant to shake hands with anyone, usually, mostly because they knew what she was and expected her to be able to read them when she could not. Unlike many of her profession she did not glove her hands, since the bare skin to bare skin made it easier to 'blink' with a passenger and that was the talent she was most likely to need on the spur of the moment. The young woman gave as brief a clasp of the offered hand as was polite before she let go.

"It would be easier to get a more accurate read if I were face to face with one of them. I can give you a hot and cold type answer on any emotion that I can put into words, but I would be reading their ship as a whole and not necessarily their leaders or anyone relevant. Can a meeting be managed?" Scharführerin Fleischer asked, folding her hands behind her back as she hid how they wanted to shake at the thought of the distance and dangers involved.

____

"What are they doing?"

Ai sat on the observation deck with the grey-muzzled man who spoke out against their captain. This was taking so long. Everyone's shock had turned into worry and confusion. Some were like Ai, curious as can be. Who were these people, who created a thousand lights?

"Perhaps they are debating. After all, verbal communication doesn't seem to be at all possible between the two of us just yet," he replied.

"Well, why don't they come here?"

"Why won't we go over there?"

Ai bit on her lips gently. "Fear?"

The man nodded. "Or they don't know how to board. Their ships are fairly different from our own."

"Should we show them?"

Tapping his chin, the man mused. "Perhaps," he said with a smirk. "The captain will harm you no further. You have more control over this situation than she does."

Too quickly, the girl jumped up from her position and sprinted to the boarding deck. She did not fear like the others. To her, this was the chance they had been waiting months, perhaps years, to take. Their growth had been so stunted due to stubbornness.

People skittered out of her way as she bolted, sliding around corners to the head of the ship. There was hardly anyone down here. "Perfect, perfect," she trilled, sweeping her hands against the walls, letting the Remnant know in her special way to welcome the ships around them.

From the ship's head, a layer of membrane slipped away, spilling a colorful plethora of illumination. "Come over here!"

____

"Visual contact!" An ensign cried out over Metzger's shoulder, drawing the man's eyes as he turned away from Verena and Menzel. "Lights along the lead ship's bow!" Or at least what looked like a bow. Already several weapons officer trained their sights on this new light, everyone thinking the same thought - was this a weapon of some sort? If it was, why wait until now to use it? Were it not for Togas' stern action earlier, one of the weaker captains might have given the order to open fire, but they had been convinced, or coerced, to participate in the Zwerg's gambit.

"Weaponry?"

"... hard to say sir, doesn't look like it's projecting any sort of energy but light." The captain looked back to the psyker, his expression severe, as he asked for her opinion, his phrasing possessing and unintentional double meaning.

"Thoughts, Scharführerin?"

____

Vera moved to look at one of the visual displays that was showing the object in question, reaching out but keeping her hand from actually touching the screen. "Any weapons would glow blue now-- No, it is isn't a weapon. Hostility? Still low. Confusion? Moderate. Fear? Subsided. I think they are waiting for us to make the next move." As Verena narrated the changing 'search', the blue would fade or show up appropriately.

Then she tried something that she didn't put into words, and gave a surprised blink at one bright blue spot near the bow area. She didn't know it at the time, but it was Ai that was shining with hope, and to a lesser degree, the rest of alien ship.

"They can't speak to us directly, Captain, so I think this is the welcome mat. A kind of visual communication. We're being invited, and it would be rude not to accept. Of course I would be honored to go, but perhaps someone with more skill in diplomacy should as well." Then she pointed at the screen, at the glowing blue speck, "And that is the being we should talk to."

Thankfully, Fleischer had perfected her 'finding' talent to only effect what she wanted it to. So she had kept it focused on the image in front of her, and the pieces of the physical ship did not glow with her attention.

____

Both the Alfar and the Zwerg listened and watched with intense, expectant eyes, though it was fair to say that Togas was the more invested of the two, considering this entire task force was his command and his direct responsibility. Part of him was tempted to ask this psyker if she was certain, but her tone, her posture, already told him the answer - even if she wasn't, this was the most they'd gotten so far, and with another of his sighs he looked to the display that Verena pointed to. So there were beings on board these vessels, and the vessels weren't the beings themselves. "Then you're coming, Scharführerin," He murmured, pondering her words as he thought of who all to bring. Of course there would be a marine contingent, a precaution and nothing more, but he didn't want to appear imposing. A single dropship, one fireteam, miss Fleischer and...

The Zwerg looked about his bridge once more, eyes dashing over his officers and eventually settling on his XO. With a brief gesture, he beckoned Edwards over to him, the Azrican nearing soon enough that Eugen could speak. "Edwards, you're in command now." The words struck the dark-haired man by surprise, blinking once or twice before he could speak. "If anything happens to us over there, if we don't come back, you know what to do."

"I... yes, sir." The executive officer nodded, offering his captain a stiff naval salute, which the mutant returned, Metzger turning on his heels as he gestured to the psyker to follow, a nod paid to Menzel as he passed her.

"Get me a squad of Landsers to the third bay - make it ones that are well-behaved."

---

Before too long the captain, along with Fleischer and his escort, were on board one of the Eduard Dollmann's hundreds of dropships, the lumbering craft lifting off of the hangar's floor with a dull rumble. It slipped out of one of the many brightly-lit pores on the battlecruiser's hull, four smaller lights joining it in short order. The fighter escort formed a box around the dropship, guiding her in as she approached the Remnant. Inside the belly of the craft, Metzger glanced over to the lockers that contained encounter suits, hoping that he wouldn't need to put himself inside of one of the things if the atmosphere or pressure inside of these alien vessels didn't match their own.

The marines, at least, were already largely insulated from such troubles in their armor, the opaque, smooth-faced helmets glancing about where they stood or sat. This was just another day for them, he supposed, pulling his beret off and running a nervous hand over his bald crown, silently reassuring himself that this could end well.

____

Ai felt excitement bursting force from her insides. With the bay door open, the Remnant developed a clear wall between Ai and the outside. She spotted the ship from afar. She couldn't smile any wider, lips extending, quite literally, from one ear to the next. The outspoken man joined her, hands folded behind his back. It was like floating, waiting beside him for the inevitable meeting.

"Do you think this was destiny? This feels unreal."

"We haven't even met them yet."

"Oh, but if only they were here now!"

The old man chuckled.

A few others gathered behind them, some as small as Ai, others as titanic as the captain. They all gave their eyes to Ai, who could feel every single one like a needle in her back. She turned around, back against the wall, suddenly nervous. "What?"

At first, no one spoke. They all seemed terribly bewildered. Alas, one small cavedweller came forth, clacking his jaws. "Why did you invite them here?"

"We... needed it. We needed someone."

"There are children aboard this ship," he pushed, his stance threatening. "What will you do if they kill us?"

Ai cringed and closed in toward the wall. "You don't believe I'm one of them?" She looked away, clinging to that light coming towards them. "But they're not here to hurt us! I know it! I... I don't know why, but they absolutely will not hurt us."

Once the ship boarded, if it were to do so, the bay doors would slowly close, and the light would dim to something more manageable to the eye. The membrane between them would dissolve, and everyone would shrink back in fear except for one.

Ai would step forward to greet them, nervous, but welcoming.

____

Lady Verena Fleischer seemed calm as she rode next to Metzger. With one leg crossed over the other and her hands laced on her knee, her serene gaze was focused somewhere beyond the opposite wall. It was hard for her to get into the proper mindset to actually read people. This was assuming that it was safe to read them at all.

As the ship slowed to dock, Vera turned to look at the Zwerg male, "If things go badly, I can get you out, but I need skin to skin to do it. Grab my hand and we'll jump back here."

She gave a regretful glance to the escorting soldiers, then shrugged, "Hopefully, they will not be needed at this time. However, I am not confident in my ability to move a fully armored marine."

Vera stood when the sense of gravity changed to match the stranger's ship, though she was a little off balance at the lower gravity. With a frown of concern, she lifted her hand to point at the door before a word in Austric, 'safe', repeated over the surface, drifting back and forth before it vanished. She didn't realize it was also displayed on the outside as well as the inside.

With a shrug to the Captain, she'd wait for the marines to do their thing before she would go out. Of course, once she saw what they really looked like, even Vera had to just stop and stare, not sure how to proceed.

____

"I understand, Scharführerin." The captain murmured, looking to the psychic aide briefly on the note of escape. The marines knew why they were here, and he knew - or rather hoped - that they saw no shame in their potential demise.

The dropship came into the Remnant as the fighters began to circle around the alien vessel like carrion birds, setting down as lightly as a Niddhoggr could, and rested there, its engines spooling down. The ramp descended, and the marines were the first to exit - titanic, black-clad automatons, wielding weapons of war, fanned out from the loading ramp and established a perimeter. They spoke amongst themselves, the comms in their helmets fairly active, even if they were silent to an onlooker. Silence hung in the air for a few moments after they had fanned out, weapons lowered but still ready, until some silent word was uttered between the squad leader and the ship, and the captain and the psychic made their way down the ramps.

To say that these people were alien wouldn't be far off - Togas himself taking a moment to appreciate that, in comparison, he looked practically Scatterran. But such a petty thought soon slipped from his mind as he neared the edge of the perimeter, seeing that one of these foreigners number had not shrunk away like the others, that the single one stood their ground and even stepped forward. Perhaps that was their leader, or at least the one most willing to speak to them. A firm hand lighted on one of the marine's shoulders that he might slip through their number, the uniformed Zwerg approaching Ai, nervous himself.

"Is this the one?" He asked Fleischer, glancing briefly to her before looking back to Ai, taking the Misranan in for a moment or two, offering her - though he had no inclination of gender or bearing with these xenoforms - a smile as he waited for an answer.

____

Comparatively, Ai was tiny to the hulking Scatterans. At only five feet, she was a mouse vouching to lions. Still, she found her wonder overpowering. Her first look at them answered nothing and created so many more questions instead. She took in a shallow breath and held it. So similar and so different at the same time.

She wasn't quite sure what to say or do. Looking Togas in the eye, she attempted to recreate his gesture. On a Misranan, the overabundance of teeth seemed sinister. When he spoke to the creature beside him, she tilted her head. The language was so strange, but there was no large variance in the noises they made. This couldn't be too difficult.

"Is... is see..." Ai struggled, her words rolling and hissing with the unfamiliarity of the language, but every time she spoke she understood the pronunciation more.

____

Verena's shocked expression faded to wonder when the smaller blue one tried to answer. Of course she had followed the Captain, since she was his safety net. The query/finding of 'who do we speak to?' would briefly highlight Ai in confirmation as soon as the Zwerg male asked, though the instinctive answering that way made the scatteran female's cheeks color briefly.

"Yes. She is the hopeful one with the ability to affect change." Then Fleischer looked around at the others, shifting her weight uncomfortably under the weight of all the emotions leveled in their direction. She had loosened her instinctive shields enough to sense their feelings more discretely, and was starting to wish she had not. "Their fear grows. I think we intimidate them."

Of course, the marines were very intimidating. That was part of why they looked the way they did. However, it did not seem helpful with the situation, since a frightened person, and they did 'feel' rather like people to Vera, was more likely to lash out.

"Should I seek out some of their writing? It might be easier to communicate with them if I can just highlight their words or letters to tell them what you are trying to say?" The psyker gave Togas a curious look, trying to keep her tone gentle, or even peaceful, so not to further alarm their hosts.

____

Ai was tiny in comparison save for only one - the captain, as the Zwerg only stood an inch or two taller than she. Sinister was a strong word, though her maw did give the man pause, doing his best to keep his smile despite the overly carnivorous look of the creature in front of him. Silently did he remind himself that his colleague, his friend, Menzel was just that - a predator, a strictly carnivorous creature, but he had nothing to fear from the Alfar, and neither did anyone who met her. The blue aura, for Eugen didn't quite know what else to call it, that Fleischer put about the young woman also assisted in assuaging his concerns. The mutant officer's eyes moved between Ai and Verena once more before nodding. "I think that might be for the best, Scharführerin."

His mind turned to the fear the Misranans felt, and he pondered that for a moment or two. They were afraid, of their ships, or of the infantry that flanked him and the Psyker, or perhaps even something else. But why would they be afraid when they held the advantage here - they had the entourage outnumbered on a scale he wasn't keen to consider. "Zugsführer," He murmured, glancing to the lead marine as he made an upwards gesture with his fingers, "Your helmets." Some of the marines might have complained at such an order, but it was at least safe to breath here, even if it was a massive breach of protocol. The odd order revealed that the black-clad automatons that had flanked Verena and Togas were men and women of various races and creeds, but men and women all the same.

____

Ai chirped and trilled gently, as though questioning them. Her tail slid against the ground as it lashed, a gesture which communicated a large margin of signals between her kind, but meant little to nothing for the aliens before them.

She turned slowly to gaze at her comrades. "We don't have to be afraid. They have not killed us yet, you see?" She motioned to face the aliens once more, but the sight of the captain pushing her way through the crowd kept her still.

As it always did, the ground shook as the captain entered the room, cautiously approached the aliens, and took her place beside Ai. Eight feet tall, perhaps even more, and she towered above most. She gave her eyes to the Scatterans and the Zwerg before her. Ai held in her breath, ready for something awful. Not the worst, but-

But she wasn't ready for the captain to lower to one knee, tail wrapped around her waist, palms upward. A gesture of complete submission.

____

Vera had been looking around the room, hoping that one of the alien creatures had been carrying something with their words on it. A search had illuminated the script on the walls. When the psyker had refined her search for 'complex writing', that light had gone out.

Before she could explain the situation to her captain, the eight-foot-tall creature had come forward. The emotions felt from the alien captain had Fleischer's hackles up, as it were, and one pale, elegant hand would touch the Zwerg's arm, near his wrist as she fought not to retreat.

After a moment, the young woman gave a faint cough before she could murmur to Menzel, "Frustrated authority, desperate, unstable. It has been a long and fearful trip for these people, and this one is their captain, bearing the weight of responsibility for all these lives." She wasn't aware of her grip tightening on the arm of the shorter male as she tried to unravel the impressions she was getting. She was using that touch as an anchor as she was hunting for the appropriate response to such an extraordinary action.

That it demanded an answer was obvious. Extraordinary too, clear from the reactions of the other creatures standing around. Lost in the surging waves of emotions, it took Vera a moment to pull back and focus on Ai again. There was enough similar there that communication was possible on a more primal level. Maybe Ai wasn't gifted the same way as Vera was, but she had Something that was not just the normal run of things, and so Vera could project a plea for explanation as she asked out loud, "What do we do?".

____

Togas himself wasn't ready for such a display, initially unsure what to make of it before Fleischer offered her insight, blinking in surprise once he realized what this creature - this being - was doing. Some gestures transcended language and culture, that such a being would drop to a knee before him humbled the man, whose mouth was slightly agape as he realized that not only was this first contact with an alien people for the Supremacy, but it was first contact with a folk as desperate and lonesome as his own had been, centuries ago. The wheel of fate had turned and had placed him, a Zwerg, in the position to repeat history. "I..." He began, Eugen losing his words the moment the first was uttered, the weight of the moment before him stunning him into silence.

"... sling your weapons, marines. Those... won't be necessary." At least not today, he felt. Carefully the imperial captain moved to shed one of his gloves, taking but a moment to look to his hand and compare it to the Misranans', not bothering to wonder if it was a common sort of gesture before he stepped forward to his Misranan counterpart. At his full height he stood roughly even with the kneeling figure, whom he approached with some small hint of trepidation, before offering his hand to her, simply to be held. A comforting gesture as the Scatterrans knew it, and were it that the captain would entertain his notion Togas would bring his free hand to softly rest over the captain's.

They were safe now.

____

The captain rose her armored head and fixed on the Zwerg's hand. She became unnervingly still, but one could just see the cogs turning in her head. Very quietly, she clicked her teeth together. In response, Ai peeped.

A moment that lasted several, anxiety-ridden eons in Ai's head passed. Nervousness spidered across her whole body. Only a second had passed before the captain grasped the softness of the Zwerg's hand with her own, and for him it must have been like gripping sandpaper.

Similarly, Ai reached out her hand to Vera, encouraging her with a sprightly whistle. If the gesture was reciprocated, she would find herself gently tugged over to one of the bay's walls.

One by one, the room began to fill with all manner of creature that had been hiding behind the captain. They varied so incredibly from one to the next, some dark colored and meek, other sprouting multicolored fronds, others standing as tall as the captain. There were some constants. Half were fairly feminine, big-hipped, long-legged, while the other half had jutting chins and prominent fangs. Their clothing was minimal. Breasts weren't apparent in any Misranan, so shirts weren't a popular commodity, but there was a plethora of styles among jewelry and sarong hung from braided metal along their waists.

____

Verena also hesitated before placing her soft five fingers in the harder textured grip of Ai. Her right hand still stayed on Togas' forearm, just lightly touching near his elbow. At least, that was where her free hand stayed until Ai drew her away.

Lady Fleischer hesitated, but then tried to copy the encouraging whistle that Ai had given. Naturally, her mouth wasn't made to make the sound, so it wasn't exactly right. Vera was just hoping she hadn't accidentally insulted her guide. A moment later she murmured, "I'm so not trained for this.".

If she had been trained for this sort of situation, she never would have allowed herself to be pulled away from her captain. Vera wasn't exactly sure which of the strange creatures around them were of any gender. Or even if they had the traditional dual-gender structure that she was familiar with. The wide variety of appearances had her staring around in wonder though, holding tight to Ai's hand as she was lead past so many jaws that could bite, and claws that could snatch.

____

Togas sighed in relief at that, no matter how rough the other being's hand might feel, it was a pleasant gesture that seemed to transcend the barriers of communication - at least he felt so. This was a start, but there had to be some manner of communication established, some way for the both of them to be able to communicate effectively, or his command would still regard this matter with a hostile eye. How could he blame them? A people that looked this predatory, in biomechanoid ships? It reeked of the Collective, even if they might not be of their kind.

But he knew that they were not - someone indoctrinated by the faith of the Aboraz would never touch his hand for any reason but to break it. This was a chance for a strategic victory for the Supremacy, a chance for them to not only enrich their nation but win international recognition as a benevolent power, nevermind that Togas might have been laying the groundwork for the induction of a people not unlike his own. The Zwerg had lived terrified, short lives, baking under a miserable sun and hunted by a merciless enemy before being found by the Supremacy, by the Austrans. They owed them everything, and they never forgot that.

The Misranans might not have been quite so desperate, but still did it inspire the captain.

His second hand slipped from the captain's, gesturing that she stand up. There was no need to bow here - he was no lord.
Sentry
As they neared the smooth, translucent wall, Ai let go of Vera's hand and glanced back at her eagerly. Her tail lashed back and forth, made circles and whipped. Then, all at once, she relaxed. She raised her palms, then placed them flat against the wall.

Like before, when she alerted the Scatterans of their presence, the nerves in her skin meshed with the wiring of the ship, twining like plant roots and stretching across the surface. They began to illuminate, burning whitely against the dark hues of the ship's interior. These lines joined together, mingled left and right, curved, cut jagged edges, and eventually, created a picture.

There was a silhouette of a Misranan there, the most average of them all. Lighting up above the figure, words in their own language. "Person," Ai purred to Vera. "Us."

The figure began to move, and a world was opened up before it, filled with towering pillars, an ocean, a jungle, and a red star above. "Home."

Days passed as the red star rose and fell from the sky, until one day something rose from the water. Creatures- no, a ship, just like the one they were in- opened up to the lone Misranan, who clambered inside. The picture began to zoom outward, until everything compacted itself together. There were two spheres: the red sun, and the world it shone its light upon. Ships began to spill from the planet like frogs in boiling water.

A second later, the red sun expanded, then encompassed the entirety of the wall in its angry color. Ai swept the wall gently, and the lights disappeared. She laid her forehead against the frame for support, heavy with the thought.

The story wasn't over, however. One ship raced across the galaxy, and a long scroll of repeating symbols scrolled down the screen. Within, the many living refugees were rich with food and supplies, even in their sadness. As the symbols counted, however, a gloom settled quietly over them. Some collapsed. Some of them had their lights drained.

That show, too, faded. Many different things began to show up now. Objects, gestures, all with words scrolled above while Ai growled and chirped and trilled at them.

The captain, who had stood up at the Zwerg's prompting, stared expressively at the show.

____

"Is someone recording this?" Vera asked vaguely as she watched the show. She was pretty sure that the marines' helmets were sending the feed back to the various ships that had come in response to the initial cry for help. If she was thinking about it, she would have realized that of course it was being recorded. The question should be more about if someone else had a good enough view to make it be worth while.

When the red star expanded and destroyed the planet, Vera winced and reached out to lay her hand on AI's nearest arm in sympathy. Loosing your home was a terrible thing, no matter how it happened. The empath shielded herself well enough not to be overwhelmed by the sorrow of the young one, but the grief was poignant enough to make Verena shed a couple of tears for the lost world and wandering race.

When the symbols and gestures started scrolling, young Fleischer reached out to touch the wall too, highlighting anything that might mean something like, "Slow down".

"Can communicate slow like this." would be the next bits highlighted, if such words or synonyms were available. Then the translation for the precise meaning would form in the blue glow, so not only was Vera able to try to speak to Ai like that, but also she could find out exactly what she was saying. It would possibly even teach the others something about how the Scatteran language was written.

____

Togas remained in the shadow of the show that Ai had set in motion, watching from the other captain's side as the story of the Misranans played out on the wall before them. From what he saw, and what he interpreted, it seemed that their world had suffered a similar fate to his own, and one that all the Supremacy could sympathize with. These people were exiles, just like the Imperials themselves were. The Zwerg kept his breath steady at such a discover, surprised that such fortune would lead these people to them - of all the other powers to encounter, one that might be so sympathetic to their plight.

He was, for lack of a better term, stunned into reflective silence.

____

The signs did slow down, many that had flashed blue as Vera willed. Ai turned to stare at her, her milky eyes widened with a sense of wonder. What was she, this alien, and how was she doing this? With all their ships, how were they also curious at their little speck in the void of space?

One set of noises kept replaying, a phrase that she was determined to get across. Speak for me, she whistled. Teach me.

Every other Misranan in the ship were equally as perplexed. They had never seen this light show before, and the captain had no knowledge that she could. To think that they were still learning. To think that there could be so much they still didn't know.

A pair of more curious, frond-covered, and very blue teenagers set themselves loose from the crowd and approached the Zwerg. They were pointedly older than Ai, but much younger than the captain. Where Ai had the rounded eyes of a child, the captain's were slits in her head. The teenagers had something in between. As far as shape went, their tails were shorter, their armor not chipped, but not as pristine as the young leader that interacted with Vera.

And, like teenagers, they had weaned off of caution and soon became perplexed. One stood right in front of the Zwerg and took in every detail of his face, perhaps a little close for comfort. Another poked at his hat, wondering at its significance.

____

Vera shot a look at Togas, a little panicked, "They want us to talk, but I don't know what to say." She wasn't really paying attention to how her words lit up for Ai in the language of the other race. The psyker had asked for a more diplomatic person to accompany her for a reason, after all.

She might have been raised a noble, and be a telepath, but she really had no idea how other people thought. Add into that her teenage awkwardness and the alien nature of the other race, and the young Lady Fleischer was completely out of her depth. She would gladly translate for someone else though, not wanting to foul up this situation with her inexperience.

____

"... anything," Togas murmured, recoiling slightly as the curious teenage Misranan examined his face, not sure how to take the other's fascination just yet. "I suppose." He smiled for the one looking towards him, though the finger that poked at his beret soon drew his attention, and the mutant slipped the thing from his head, offering it to the other curious Misranan. After a moment or two he made his way over to Ai and Fleischer, pausing for a moment to look to the both of them before speaking to Verena, "Well, if I understood what that... show was about," He only used the term for lack of anything better, the display that Ai had made on the wall, "They lost their world, same as us."

He blinked at the thought once again, letting his mind linger on it for a moment before acting. "Tell them of Scatter and Aüle."

____

Verena hesitated a moment, then pulled up a copy of a children's history book on the holographic display attached to the chip in her arm. She cleared her throat before she started reading out loud about the Zwerg homeworld: Aüle.

As she read, slowly and clearly, the translation was highlighted as much as possible in the language of the race that seemed so alien to her and the other Scatterans. Since the text was meant for teaching young teens, it was a bit vague at some points to keep the tale as uncomplicated and easily grasped as possible, but that meant the words were common and probably on the wall.

Captain Togas himself would get highlighted whenever the Zwerg were mentioned. Which, to the person in question, was like looking through a sheet of blue tinted glass, but had no other sensory effect. The marines and young Fleischer would be lit up for 'Scatterans', until the Zwerg were accepted into the Supremacy in the story, at which point all of the visiting party would be indicated as 'Scatterans'.

____

Though a mere twenty minutes had passed since the woman had started her story, Ai had already begun to understand the structure of their language. The spaces in between the words lengthened as the hairlike cilia within her scalp fell down over her shoulders in white threads. There were moments where time slowed so substantially that it held still. Ai's eyes were intently fixed upon the woman in front of her, listening to every word, yet at the same time she was elsewhere, within her own head, deciphering the meanings behind them.

When the story ended, Ai frowned, snapped from her trance. "You... you..." Her lips warped and puckered, getting used to this strange new way of speaking. "I understand. Understand more if you keep speaking."

Why, even the captain was taken aback, but her surprise was evident only by her subordinates with a sweep of her tail along the floor.

as written by Ottoman, Krysis, and Sentry

It spoke! Of all the things, it spoke Austric! Togas was taken aback for a few moments as he did his best to process the thought, to understand that this alien before him could speak his tongue without any prior knowledge, by only hearing Verena speak. Was this something of the psychic's doing, or was this simply something that the Misranan was capable of on its own accord? The officer stood with his mouth agape for a moment or two, unable to believe his ears until he regained his composure, realizing that he'd been stunned momentarily. "You... understand?" Metzger repeated, more to reaffirm the thought for himself than to question what it was she'd said to him.

He understood what she meant, or he thought he understood at least.

"Miss Fleischer, was this your doing?" Came the captain's question without any accusatory tone, his blood-red eyes regarding the psychic alongside him. She'd been doing her best to explain the story of how the Supremacy came to be, of how the Zwerg became part of the nation, but it was in that halfway sort of language that seemed to be their primary method of communication - Togas hadn't expected Ai to decipher their language from it, much less speak a sentence.

____

The psyker shook her head slowly, "No, Captain. I do not have that ability. I believe our blue friend here is 'special' too. Maybe only a level one or two, but definitely gifted." The young agent gave a smile and a shrug towards Ai then before glancing around at the other strange creatures.

Verena indicated the huge and dangerous looking captain of the vessel they were on. "If I had that ability, I would have taught their captain as well as the young woman here. That one seems just as surprised as you are, so it doesn't seem to be a common ability. However, that means we now have two translators between us instead of just one, so I am grateful that this one can speak to us now."

She closed the book then as she smiled at Ai, then worked on introductions. She laid one hand on her own chest and spoke clearly, "Vera." Then she pointed at the zwerg male, "Captain Togas.".

Then she gave Ai an expectant look and held her hand flat and open, palm up, towards the creature she had inadvertently taught Austric to.

____

Vera and Captain Togas. They were more than faces now.

Ai pointed to herself, ready to speak, but stopped. She doubted they could produce the sounds that made up her name. Theirs were simple. Hers...

"No word," she told them. "No word for me." She gestured to the group. "No word for us. Speaking is too different."

____

"As am I," The Zwerg murmured, sighing after a moment, knowing that this meant they'd a watershed moment between their two civilizations - communication was simply a matter of time after this. This one could teach the others, and with that all of them might be able to speak. But it seemed that names were something of a challenge between the both of them, Eugen paying a glance to Verena for a moment as he considered what to say.

"Then you will just have to choose one." Came his eventual reply to Ai, smiling as he did.

____

The young woman produced a hum deep in her throat, then clicked her claws. Her eyes squinched and her armored brow sunk.

"Do not know enough words. Need help with that."

____

The captain smiled at that, still not entirely sure how to take an alien that had acclimated to his language in a matter of minutes, in the same boat himself. Metzger didn't know if he could accept the responsibility of naming someone - hell, the thought of naming his own children gave him pause - and certainly not the responsibility of giving all of them a name. "I don't know what help I'll be without some time to think about it. I-" He caught himself before he said he didn't do well with rash decisions, realizing the irony of that statement and where he was standing.

"Besides, I don't want to choose something that upper management wouldn't care for." He jested for a moment, glancing to Vera, pondering things for a moment before he looked back to Ai. "... do you need any food or other necessities? We can have some brought over, if so. I need to contact my superiors concerning... you." The navy, the Landwächter, needed to know about this situation immediately. "It'll give us all some time to think." And learn.

____

Verena Fleischer gave a bit of a wry smile as she regarded their new blue friend, and then shrugged, "Many people would be glad of the chance to name themselves. To choose something to be known by, instead of saddled with something that doesn't actually fit. I would advise not letting that opportunity pass you by."

The young psyker wobbled a little then and turned to her Captain. "A break would be most welcome, sir. This particular sort of duty is unexpectedly taxing. Usually I am searching for a singular item, and I can hold that glow indefinitely. This is seeking a myriad of different things very rapidly and the shifting focus is what uses energy." Perhaps the teenage azrican over-explained, but since their host seemed to need more communication to improve her vocabulary, Vera felt it was appropriate.

She didn't appear to be too badly strained yet, but a fine sheen of sweat had popped up on Vera's forehead. She would bravely keep at the task as long as she could, if so ordered, but it was only prudent to admit limits.

____

Ai lifted her chin and whipped her tail, coming to attention. "Yes. You go. We will wait," she told them. "Do not leave very long. Need food soon. Need space. Need to stir."

____

The captain looked between the both of them briefly, nodding, still offering a smile to Ai as he spoke. "I'll have water and basic foodstuffs sent over as soon as possible - you and your people can ascertain whether they'll be fit for your consumption, I hope." They had no idea what sort of dietary restrictions that the Misranans might have been under - though he suspected some sort of carnivorous heritage from their teeth alone. "Scharführerin, you've performed most admirably - after you." The Zwerg gestured back towards the dropship, falling in behind her as they retired, for a time, to the Eduard Dollmann.

The supplies came, as promised, hefted from the belly of another dropship by the same black-clad marines and deposited in the bay that the meeting had taken place in. Togas, with all his flaws considered, was at least a honest man, and as the marines saw to distributing the supplies to the Misranan refugees, the captain of the imperial vessel was seeing to his other task. The short-set man moved to the bridge but didn't relieve Edwards, instead moving to the ready room and sealing the door behind him. Though it was quite possible the network had already relayed the information back to fleet command and the capital, he knew it to be his duty to report the situation regardless of redundancy.

"Attention LEGION, transmission to Tannhäuser as follows, priority level sable..."

____

Ai and her captain stayed to overlook the supplies that filtered into their ship. Where she could, Ai translated, but this new language was still rough and confusing. She had bare basics down, perhaps not all of it, but anything more complicated soon boggled her mind. She needed a dictionary. A database! She would kill for a database! But alas, she guessed she would have to wait for that one man to return before she could make such a demand. What was the name?

"Cap... tain... Togas," she mumbled for the umpteenth time. "Vera." The elevated plates on her tail skidded against the hard floor.

She heard the rattle of the captain's fangs snapping together, trying to get her attention. Ai gave the giant Plainsrunner her eyes. The captain walked away and flicked her tail inward. As ordered, Ai followed down hallways and upward to private quarters. When they reached the captain's room, both women stilled. A long silence pressed on Ai heavier than the weight of their situation. Perhaps that was the problem.

"Ai," the giant spoke at last.

In reply, the girl tapped the base of her tail against the floor. The captain turned, her movements fluid as she walked around Ai. She did not turn to look at her. To do so would be a mistake.

"Your actions have been rather brazen. You rebel without fear of consequence." The plainsrunner's words hissed and crawled up Ai's back. She felt the giant's breath collecting on her receivers. "You will not continue this behavior."

Droplets of blood ran down Ai's back as the captain's claws sank into her skin. "You are not one of us. You are a tool. You are below our status as people. I will never let you forget, Ai."

The captain and Ai returned to the docking bay, this time with a blanket draping over the young girl's shoulders. Those of her own kind saw the signs of submission that weren't present in the girl before. For any of the Scatteran soldiers, hardly anything was awry.

It was one of them that she approached softly, chin tucked in toward her neck. "Captain Togas come back soon?" she asked hastily.

____

The marines continued their relief efforts as ordered despite any domestic drama that might have been occurring among the Misranans, and even if they were under orders to regard these creatures as fellow sapients, the mere appearance of these people put several of their number on edge, glad that they were still armed. The Gefreiter that Ai approached looked to the young Misranan from behind the opaque, smooth face of their helmet, pondering the alien's question for a moment before glancing back over their shoulder, the exempted soldier inquiring to their sergeant as to Ai's question, their voice broadcast through the helmet's speakers, even though they could have held the conversation entirely within their sealed armor, broadcast between each other. "Feldwebel - any ETA on the captain's return? The interpreter's asking."

The NCO looked to the inquiring Misranan and the marine that stood beside her, taking a moment to check something on the heads-up-display within his own helmet - perhaps even asking the Eduard Dollmann the same question - before offering with a sigh the oldest, and most infuriating, answer known in any military, "Soon." Behind his helmet the Gefreiter blinked in slight disappointment, knowing that such an answer was hardly satisfactory, but it was still the best that he could do for Ai, considering he wasn't even privy to what information his sergeant was about this whole situation.

"... I'm sure he'll be back before too long."

---

Chance just so happened to prove the sergeant right, as within the hour the dropship carrying the captain arrived once again, the black-clad Zwerg making his way down the ramp, flanked on either side by towering Scatterran colleagues - both Verena, the psychic from before, as well as a new face, an Austran man with a severe, hawkish visage, who wore the same uniform of the Landwächter that lady Fleischer sported beside him. Sturmbannführer Paul Landsberg was his name, and despite the silver cord that rested upon his shoulders he stood every bit as erect as the captain ahead of him, as if there was something stiff to keep him that way.

In but a few moments the trio strode across the bay to young Ai, whom Togas greeted with a smile, though Landsberg was hardly as warm, offering a brief, obligatory salute to the alien. "It's good to see you again. You remember miss Fleischer, this is-"

"Sturmbannführer Landsberg, political liaison for Their Imperial Majesties' Interstellar Vessel Eduard Dollmann. I am here to tentatively officiate your escort and resettlement."

"... he's here to help." Togas offered, his voice quiet in the wake of the Austran's stern tone.

____

Verana Fleischer had taken the opportunity to rest as much as she could between visits. A two hour nap and a bite to eat had somewhat restored her, though not even a cup of hot tea could put color back into her cheeks that quickly. She gave a wane smile to Ai, though the pained way the young creature stood soon had Vera giving a worried frown.

A second worried frown at Landsberg's back showed that she was afraid that the political officer was less than sympathetic to the needs of the unfortunately displaced race. As the psyker had moved just a little slower than the two men, she was well placed to communicate such caution to the blue Misranan.

Then she was doing her job as intended, highlighting the Misranan captain briefly so that Landsberg would be able to tell which of the alien creatures was in charge. Perhaps making it easier for herself and Captain Togas to identify her as well, though they spoke first to the translator. "Shall we speak with your captain now? Does she understand the situation?"

____

Resettlement. Ai was sure the captain wouldn't like the word very much. She put together the meaning very quickly.

"She knows," the girl told them as she turned her head to the side, widened her massive jaws, and called out to the towering captain who had been checking the contents of the cargo alongside a few others. The plainswalker made her way towards the group. After a brief explanation, the captain put her predatory gaze onto the three Scatterans before her. Her head bowed briefly.

"She would like details of this... resettlement," Ai translated. "And the terms associated. We're fully aware this isn't an entirely charitable decision."

____

Togas sighed at that term, details, knowing what was soon to be presented would not be satisfactory to the Misranans' curiosity. The Zwerg took a moment to think of how best to put it to the foreigners, people who might not have any idea regarding the concept of bureaucracy, to use his tact to soften whatever blows Landsberg's bluntness might inflict, though the liaison didn't give him much of a chance. Unphased by the look of these aliens, the political officer stated as plainly as possible the situation, which it seemed he wasn't too thrilled to be handling as officiator. "Details are currently sparse as we have no official plan. Yet. Homeworld has been informed of the situation and we are currently under orders to escort you to a more secure location where we can take a proper tally of your status, nature and needs, and react accordingly." To be quarantined, examined and studied.

They were necessary steps, both to ensure the Misranans' safety as well as that of the Imperials, nevermind buy the Supremacy time to author a resettlement plan that suited the Misranans. It would not do to simply throw these people at the first world that they came across, much less introduce a potentially rogue element into any colony of sufficient size. It was a delicate matter that needed to be handled with care - or so one would think, were it that Togas explained the situation. Instead it was Landsberg, whose professionalism could come off just as easily as haughtiness or disgust.

"You'd be correct, in a way." Togas stepped in at the note of charity, feeling a gentler response might do better in this regard, "But, we're not forcing your hand. There will be a price to be paid, in time, but you have to choose to accept that cost."

____

The young psyker couldn't help but wince at the officious tone that Landsberg took, and explained more gently still, "We don't just keep a spare, viable planet just hanging around, you see. We colonize too, so when we find a world that is suitable, there are already plans to put people on it, often years in advance."

Vera gave the political officer a wary look before offering a smile and a shrug to Ai, before she looked up to the plainswalker Captain "It wouldn't be helpful to point your people at a world with no suitable livestock, for example, since I am guessing your kind are carnivores. But what kind of animals do you need? And your ship. Does it need an ocean, or is it content in space? And I know you don't know what we have available, which is why there must be a period of learning. On both sides."

Back