As the sun came up, Janine watched as the werewolf finally changed back into a man - the man that she was somewhat acquainted with. When his skin changed from black to his normal color, she hissed softly with guilt, as she saw various parts of his body that were blackened thanks to her. She didn't want to inflict so much pain on him. She only wanted to prevent him from hurting Venus or her mother anymore. Her tail hung limp as she bowed her head down, and to put salt on the wound, she noticed Chestnut's reaction towards her. She probably wasn't happy in the slightest that she harmed her human as much as she did.

She turned her head towards Venus, who had woken up and looked around. She struggled to get up on her feet, but she managed to stand thanks to her leaning on the tree. She looked over to Chestnut and the newly shifted man and slowly walked over to him, her hind legs giving away some sort of a limp as she went. She eyed Chestnut warily before putting her snout on Raban's head, examining him with her gentle eyes. She sniffed him for a moment before running her lips on his head, then turned her head towards the tree that Janine was perched on.

She neighed at her owner, throwing her head up and down as if to tell her to come down. Janine sucked in air with a flinch, wishing that Venus wasn't such a loudmouth. If she kept it up, Raban would see her. But then again, she heard what he was saying - he most likely thought he had hurt or killed her. She couldn't do that to him.

With a nervous groan, Janine readjusted her body and hopped off the tree branch she was on in a single bound. She landed heavily on the ground, dust and leaves flying around her body as her snake head lifted up, her brown eyes staring at Raban with no discernable emotion. Venus snorted and nodded her head at Chestnut before trodding off again, going back to her previous spot before she eased herself back down in the ground.

Janine slowly approached the injured man, currently uncaring of his forced immodesty. She stopped a few yards away from him however, to give him some space. She didn't want to scare him any more than she might've already have. Her tongue flicked out as she looked at his wounds, her claws digging in the earth with her guilt as she did so.

Last edited:
Raban did not feel himself at all. He was shaking and it was causing him more pain because of it but it was not something he could help right now. His nerves were all over the place, his mind foggy and clouded as if waking from a really deep sleep in the middle of a dream. It was so disconcerting for him to be sat in the middle of the forest butt naked and yet it had happened to him many times before now. "What have I done... What have I done..." his eyes closed, shaking his head. He wanted to know, needed to know and the fact Chestnut was not easing truths into his mind did not help his state of mind. He felt rather than saw movement and stared upwards as he felt something ruffle through damp hair. He blinked back at her slightly before his fixed on hers for a brief moment. He had hurt her, caused her fear and pain and yet she was treating him as if he were a foal or something else that was harmless.

Chestnut looked at Venus and didn't try to stop her. Raban had to process. Without her in his mind to help him, he was doing it for himself. Something he hadn't had to do for a very long time. She tried to remember what he said to her about his changes and what they were like when he had to deal with them alone. Every time it had been alone with no one to know his secret. At least he was not alone now. Chestnut moved and laid down next to him ignoring the discomfort the saddle brought her. Raban looked at her and instinctively inched closer but stopped as it moved his broken limb. He stared at it. He couldn't recall the last time he had come to with such an injury before. What the hell had happened?

Raban flinched as he both heard and felt a deep thud from somewhere behind him. This would be a really bad time for predators to show up. He had barely enough strength to hold himself up, a hand splaying into the ground. He glanced as Venus turned away and went back to her spot. Something was coming and he was not sure he liked it. He looked at Chestnut who breathed air heavily through her nostrils and butted him gently with her snout in an encouraging fashion. He looked back and nearly wet himself in the doing as he saw Janine. His frame shifted with a startled yelp and a jump that ended with a growl of pain. Chestnut supported him with her head and gave encouraging snickers.

He stared at the creature having no idea that it was Janine or having fought her in his dark state only hours before. It was huge and unlike anything he had seen before. He didn't know what it was. Had it been here the whole time. He blinked and looked at Venus and the sleeping woman. The horse did not seem perturbed and even Chestnut seemed to be content with its presence. He knew Chestnut was highly protective of him in the state he was now. She wouldn't be letting it get this close without good reason but what good reason would that have been. He stared around and then back at the strange creature. It was raking the ground with its claws and he wasn't sure what that meant.

"I... I...don't..." he frowned, "I don't understand... I... " the hand which had been holding his chest with a needy grasp to his fingers moved to his head, grasping through the hair as he tried to think through this fog. He knew Janine was in the forest. He knew she was here. She had seen him. Seen what he truly was. He stared, eyes furtive and distinctly anxious. She had gotten away then... got back to town. if that was the case... she was duty bound to tell the Order. After all... she had known him barely more than a couple of days... collectively. She owed him nothing. Where was she?

Where was Chestnut's voice?!

Janine watched as Raban showed this anxious side of himself. He was jumpy and rattled, and it was for good reason. She recalled what she read in those books she picked up, and remembered that the human side of werewolves couldn't remember what their bestial side did. He wouldn't remember what happened to him, so he must be extremely nervous as to what he might've done.

Janine flinched when he yelped in fear - but she should've expected that. She slowly circled him and Chestnut so he could face her easier, and looked into his eyes as she sat down. Even when he was injured that day he didn't look this frazzled. And he was too broken to move. She opened her mouth with an unexpected yawn, showing the two largest fangs in her mouth as they ejected a little bit of her venom. When she was done, she sighed deeply. He seemed concerned about her. He knew she was somewhere in the forest thanks to Venus, but where she ultimately was, he did not know... Until now.

She decided it was time to tell him. There was no other choice.

"Raban. You need not worry. Do you remember me? This creature that stands before you now?" Janine asked in a voice that sounded a little raspy, but otherwise familiar to her normal voice. She flicked her tail slowly from side to side, watching the worried man with her slitted eyes.

There were few times in his life when he could admit to being scared. Most of those times temmed from childhood. Coming out of this current change was currently scaring him and this strange demonic creature was adding to it. It seemed ludicrous to feel scared of such a thing when he had willingly gone up against a dragon much larger than this thing. Perhaps it was the fact he did not know what it was coupled with the knowledge he was vulnerable and defenseless. He glanced at Chestnut. Well, not entirely defenseless

The creature moved to move further into his field of vision and he blinked warily as he watched it yawn and droplets fell from its Fangs. Venomous then he concluded. He did not fancy getting bit by it all!

It seemed... Concerned. Or at least he thought it did. Why was it here otherwise? To toy with him? Some predators did. He swallowed, hand still clasping his head.

He didn't know what it wanted. He nearly threw himself again when she spoke but there was something familiar with her voice. He sniffed the air but her scent had changed entirely. Could it be...? He stared at her like a deer in headlamps.

"Ja-Janine...?" he looked at Chestnut and she nodded gently, snickering. He look back at her incredulous that he for once was not the only human in the Order with a secret.

"What... How?" he asked, feeling dumb for even asking it in the first place. His mind was messed up and he felt alone and naked without a Chestnut's running commentary. He silently and absently rubbed his throat not realising she had been the cause of all his injuries.

Janine nodded her head as Raban spoke her name. She was happy that he was able to recall her, but terrified of what he would think of her. But she had already spoken to him, so there was no turning back now.

"Yeah, it's me. I'm.... A demon.... Or rather, a half-demon. F-from my father's side. How a demon managed to fall in love with a human I have no idea," Janine said with a hissing chuckle that was accidentally creepy. Her tail flicked from side to side as she looked around the forest. It was eerily quiet, and on top of that, it was a bit cool out here.... Too cool. The large creature shivered a little, forgetting of her vulnerability to the cooler temperatures.

"I'm not entirely sure how my kind works. I've never met another demon before, so I can't really compare myself to anything other than my father...."

Janine paused and looked down at the man's injuries. She wished he wasn't in so much pain, and that there was something she could do about it. Her claws racked the earth once more.

"So.... You're a werewolf. I wouldn't have known since I've never smelled a werewolf before. I guess it's safe to assume that you're the one who attacked that dragon that day?" Janine asked as she tilted her head to the side.

As he sat there watching, listening, it gave him the time to gather his mind and calm himself down. He often had to after a change, especially after forced transformations. His mind had to have the time to slot back together, rebuild the pieces even if he would never remember what he had done in the time that he was a raging ball of venomous wolf.

It was unbelievably almost to realise what Janine truly was and yet why should this be no more believable than it had been when he had learned what Chestnut was. It made her excursions into the forest and her fight against the dragon that much more believable. She could take on a dragon without a thought just as much as he could. He smiled, staring down at the ground between his legs. He looked back at her and took her in once more. In a way, what she was... her being demon or half demon as she said made so much more sense and he realised what it meant. She was likely quite stronger than himself.

Raban looked at Chestnut inquiringly and she snorted heavily, looking away knowing his question despite their lack of telepathy. Both of them were hoping it would return soon. This wasn't normal for either of them. He looked back in time to see Janine's eyes looking at him and raking her claws.

She had not known till now. He breathed deeply before he nodded. Admitting what he was openly was a huge step for him. "Yeah... that was me. That was not a... forced change. I don't know what... I am fully... But I've come to terms with it. I just... " Something nagged at him and he looked back at Venus. He sniffed the air and grew still with worry before he looked back at Janine, eyes seeking truth and fact.

"Did I hurt anyone...? Please... I need to know... " he asked her, eyes searching.

Chestnut snorted, not seeing what it would prove. Keeping that burden on his shoulders was stupid in her view but he was also human and that would always be apart of him just as much as the wolf was.

He shifted and regretted the movement, pain shooting up his leg in a fresh wave. He peered at the broken limb, still lying at an odd angle. He was not looking forward to resetting it. It would need to be done before his body would try to heal it. He looked back at Janine, his mind whirring in thought.

Janine nodded her head at Raban's confirmation. So it really was him that day. It made her feel a little bit better to know that. And not only was that him, he even admitted that he was able to shift willingly. Janine's eyes widened a little. So the books were true! There is a possibility that a werewolf could change back and forth on their own accord. And it was claimed to be such a rare occurrence. Raban was a special kind of werewolf.

"How funny. We saved each other that day, and we didn't even know it at the time. Thank you, Raban," Janine said softly as she looked out to the forest beyond Raban and Chestnut. That dragon made them both change that day. They had seen each other's forms and they did it to save the other. She didn't know what to call it, but she liked the idea of it....

Janine looked back to Raban and caught his gaze move towards her horse. She followed his head and saw that Venus was asleep again. She sighed with an uneasy relief, as she wanted Venus' injuries to get tended to.

His voice popped up again and Janine faced forward again. He had asked if anyone was hurt.

"Only Venus. You scratched her last night trying to get at my mother," Janine said slowly. She looked to her mother's sleeping figure and wondered if she was okay sleeping there. But she would've been home had she not been chased by that damn beast.... The beast that Raban was not too long ago. She suddenly felt her anger spike and she slammed her tail into the ground, making pieces of leaf litter and dirt fly into the air. Her pupils narrowed a little before widening back out to their original size, and she panted uneasily before she looked to Raban.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. I just.... Was thinking about last night..." She turned her head to the side.

"We were taking a stroll when we heard someone yelling in pain. I wanted to go back home, but my mom insisted that I try to help, so we went over to the sounds. Then we found you two. I didn't know what was happening to you at first, but I figured it out soon enough. You changed so fast, and I was prepared to deal with you.... But then you want after my mom. I.... Saw you pin down Venus.... But you were going to hurt my mom.... You stood over them... And I couldn't hold it in anymore." Janine's claws racked into the dirt a little harder than before.
"My worry and anxiety just morphed into a rage that I couldn't hold in.... My other half came out.... The thing that you see before you... All I felt was the urge to protect them... And the will to hurt you....." Janine paused and looked at Raban, her breaths now shaky and quivering.

"Please forgive me! I never wanted to hurt you so badly. I broke your leg. I bruised and beat you to the ground. I know that you weren't yourself. If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't have even gone for my mom, or Venus. I just didn't know what to do with myself," Janine said with a shuddering voice. She turned around in shame, her back now facing Raban. She had always tried to keep herself in check, making sure that her emotions didn't overcome her rational thoughts. But this time she let her other half take control and ended up hurting someone, and badly. Broken bones and bruises all over their body. She did that. Her demon did that. Maybe she was too dangerous to be around.

Janine turned her head halfway to see Raban with one eye. "Chestnut saved you from myself. I don't believed I would've stopped if it wasn't for her. But it was my fault for putting my mom in danger in the first place. I'm..... sorry." Janine said before she turned her head away again.

Janine seemed surprised at something. At what he wasn't sure but he weas sure she was surprised at something about him or to do with him. She looked like she had questions and knew that if she asked them, he would answer honestly. She knew his secret now and somehow he trusted her to keep it. He was only too aware of what the Order would do to him if they learned it.

Raban smiled and nodded, "I knew you were there. You weren't moving for so-some reason... It was worth the risks involved." The Order was aware a werewolf was in the area and that they would investigate it but he hoped that it would not lead to him or Janine. They shared in other's secret now. He knew he would not betray her secret and hoped she would do the same for him.

Her mother...?! His eyes closed unable to imagine scared and terrified she must have been. He stared caught in his lost thought of regret and burden of responsibility. So much so that he jumped with a start when she slammed her tail and his back shifted into Chestnut's neck. He could feel her heat and knew she had raised her core temperature in order to keep him warm. He blinked, breathing heavily before he nodded, trying to get it under control. "It's... it's okay... My nerves are all on... edge," he smiled weakly.

She spoke, relaying to him what had happened and he listened attentively. He listened with silence as she spoke, feeling and hearing the emotion in her voice. He looked at her after she apologised for the second time and shook his head. His expression held no reproach or anger. Only relief.

"Don't apologise. You did what you had to. To protect your own. I can't hate you for that, and I won't. From the sounds of it, you saved a lot of lives from me last night... Chestnut tries her best but when I lose control... I'm dangerous. I know I am. I try to get myself away during full moons... but it's not always possible and people... get hurt. Sometimes badly. Please don't hate yourself. You did the right thing and if it happens again... then you do what you have to to protect them and innocents."

He watched her knowing she felt bad for his injuries but to him, they were nothing compared to the knowledge of killed innocent lives or changed lives for the worse. He would rather have broken bones and be stopped from causing that to people who didn't deserve such a fate. He looked at Chestnut and looked at her meaningfully. She did nothing but rest her head on his shoulder. He sighed softly.

"Please don't feel ashamed... please?" he looked at her, "You did the right thing. I don't hate you."

Janine expected Raban's tone to be angry at her for hurting him so badly. She flinched and braced herself for scalding and discriminating words.... but instead, he spoke softly with understanding. He said he'd rather be injured than to have himself hurt or kill other people. The words made Janine slowly lift her head up - did he really forgive her? He wasn't mad or anything?

Janine couldn't help but feel... relieved. Raban really was understanding. He cared for everyone's safety, and he was prepared to be remorseful if he did hurt somebody. She turned around slowly and faced the knight, grateful that her secret had been revealed to such a man like him. She felt that she could tell him anything, despite having only knowing him for a couple of days.

"T-thanks... For understanding. I know I might not have to say this, but your secret's safe with me. It would be hypocritical if I told someone about you when I have something just as incriminating to hide as well. Not to mention how nice of a person you are," Janine said as she stood on her four paws.

She lifted a paw to move towards Raban when she heard a voice speak up.

"So... This is the man you were visiting that day. How interesting," a female voice called out.

Janine turned her head to see that her mother standing up beside Venus. The young demon padded up to her human mother and rubber her scaled head against her chest, hissing softly in relief, briefly showing a more vulnerable side to her personality. Her mother was fine, she knew that, but seeing her standing up made her so happy to see her. The older woman rubbed her daughter's head slowly and reassuringly.

"You are quite an interesting man. My daughter has never saved a man as willingly as she has done for you. Nor has she been so open to someone like she's done with you in these previous hours. The last time she had spoken to someone like that was with her father. She was such a little thing back then," her mother said as she looked to Raban.

Janine shifted her body with embarrassment as she heard her mother speak. She didn't want Raban to hear that. Not yet at least. "Mom..... Please. Not now," Janine begged. Her mom simply tapped her snout to silence her. She then walked a little closer to the man and his equine partner before stopping a few yards away. Her stride was hindered by a limp that Janine just now caught. So her mom was hurt as well? When did that happen?

"I had only heard of your kind, but never saw them in action. Believe it or not, being with a demon for a portion of your life makes you see the world a little differently - from a more open and unique standpoint. Being such, you look like a noble man, unlike some of those other impudent Knights. Your secret is safe with me as well. I know how it is to hide something about yourself as well. Also, you seem like a good person for Janine. Someone to talk to other than myself," the woman said with a small nod of her head.

"Mooom!" Janine hissed in embarrassment. She didn't want Raban to hear her failure of a social status already. He wasn't even healed for goodness sakes! The older woman walked back to Janine and stroked her head again as she passed her, then got Venus up on her feet before getting on her saddle. Janine padded over to them and asked what she was doing. Her mother simply said that she was going to leave them alone now, and that she wanted to give Venus a real chance to heal. To do that, they needed to leave the forest. Janine voiced her hesitation, but once again, her mother managed to change her mind. Janine sighed and said her departing words, rubbing her head against her mother once more before she watched her and Venus ride away.

Janine sighed and scratched her body as her horse disappeared in the forest, worried about them already, but also worried about Raban. She turns around and walked a little closer to Raban before laying down gently. Her tail flicked lazily like a feline would, the soft rattles in her club tail making noise as she moved it around.

"Thanks again for being such an understanding person.... I honestly wouldn't have known what to do if it was anyone else. It feels a little good to tell someone about me.... I don't know how to describe it," Janine said as she stared out at the forest.

She looked to Chestnut and tilted her head a little. Her heat sensing organs picked up a much higher body temperature than she did with Venus. Not to mention that she did certain actions that not many horses did, or understood. Something told her that there was something different about this horse, but she couldn't pin it down. Was the horse running a fever?

"Your horse.... I think she's sick. She's much warmer than she should be. That's not normal for her... right?" Janine said as she approached the horse and placed a paw on her head.

Raban watched as his words were followed by a silence but not one he felt he could fear. He smiled at her warmly when she turned her head back round and nodded with encouragement. How could he fault her for what she had done? He had been as close to rabid and he would have made a nuisance of himself had she not stopped him. It was a relief to know that he had not harmed anyone too greatly. Venus would recover in time. His venom was harmless for anything but human as far as he knew.

He smiled and nodded, relieved. He suspected she would but hearing her say it was further proof of it. He blushed slightly. It was good to be appraised so by her, by someone who knew his secret and did not fear him or hate him for it. He was about to speak before another female voice spoke and he looked to where Venus and the other woman had been before. She was standing down and she seemed okay. He couldn't smell blood from her at least and that was a good thing.

Raban watched Janine interact with the woman and knew they must have had some kind of bond. The woman wasn't scared of Janine in the slightest. He relaxed knowing from the last memory he had before his turn that this woman too knew his dark secret and from the looks of things, held Janine's secret too.

"Too many know. Too many!"

The voice made him look at Chestnut suddenly and with clear relief before the other woman's voice filled the air and he returned his gaze and attention to whomsoever this woman was in relation to janine. They shared a scent trait so he instantly knew she was of kin in some way. Someone close. The woman soon confirmed what his nose told him and he felt distinctly uneasy being quite so naked all of a sudden. He didn't know why. He had long accepted that clothes did not change with him. His tunics and breeches were always of cheap quality, roughly made since he went through them quite regularly.

It was weird being called interesting after all that had occurred. Quite weird. He listened in silence despite his pain. His head ducked slightly as her mother spoke about her and him in quite open terms. He looked up at her at her approach, his good leg rising to ascertain some modesty. Chestnut snickered before she snaked her head round, resting it across his leg forcing him to lower it again.

She spoke of being with a demon and it helping to keep an open mind... he could not help but look at Chestnut. His hand moved, resting on her face glad that he could feel her back in his mind once more. It was a soothing presence he had not realised he had relied and depended upon for so long.

"Thank you, truly," he nodded, swallowing hard and unsure what else to say.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say she's trying to hitch you with the half breed," Chestnut snorted and Raban blinked, peering at Chestnut at the thought before looking back at the woman again as she returned to Janine and in turn Venus. he watched as Venus rocked back to her hooves and took a moment to get used to bearing weight again. The poor thing looked tired and he realised he must have chased her to near collapse with exhaustion. He made a mental promise to make it up to her.

He leaned against Chestnut for the moment just taking in her warmth. It was pretty handy in winter when he came out of a change. Today was not freezing but it wasn't hot or sunny yet either. He rested against her and listened as Janine spoke with her mother. He couldn't help but believe Chestnut... 'good person for' It left his mind in a thinking flutter.

The Knight looked up when he sensed Janine return and watched her for a moment, his eye twitching betrayed his pain. He smiled and shook his head, "Keeping a secret... It's not an easy burden to bear. Especially when our Oath includes honesty. It's a free feeling, I think..." he nodded. Initially he had been scared. scared of how she would react but he had not expected this.

He blinked when she spoke in reference to Chestnut, of whom raised her head from its resting spot across his lap to look at Janine.

"She should know, Chestnut. She might be able to help you,"
"Help...?! She's not even a pure-blood... she's..."
"Don't be a bitch. You could help each other... who knows? There's only so much reading about demons in libraries a Knight can get away with before someone gets suspicious. She could put you to the right track, old friend."
"I don't like it, but fine.... and her touch feels weird. You can tell her that,"

Raban reached to scratch Chestnut under her jaw and chuckled, "She's not sick. Actually... you two have more in common than she does to me."

Janine moved her paw off of Chestnut's head and sat down with a tilted head. She and Janine had more in common? "I don't understand.... Chestnut's a horse, and I'm a human.... well... half human.... My other half is..... demon...." Janine paused and flicked her tongue out as she stood on her paws again. She seems to be rather surprised at the thoughts in her head.

"You mean to tell me she's.... A demon too?" Janine asked in shock. She looked back and forth between Raban and Chestnut and scoffed a little.

"No way. After all this time, I've claimed to have never met another demon, and yet I rode on one last night!" Janine said with some excitement. She danced on her paws for a moment before a thought came to her head.

"So wait.... That means she can understand me? Oh goodness, and here I was thinking that I had the magic touch with horses. Apparently not," Janine said with a playful scoff. She slowly looked to Chestnut and lowered her head. She wondered if she could speak to her. They were both demons right?

"Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible that we could communicate to each other? I mean.... She's a demon so you say. And why a horse? I can't judge, but was there a plan to having an equine physique?" Janine asked a she sat down with a curious swish of her tail.

Raban and Chestnut both watched as Janine processed what Raban was suggesting to her. Raban could hear Chestnut's amusement in this little scene and Raban offered a smile, slowly nodding even before she came to question him about his companion's identity of species.

"She's awful happy about it. You'd think we're rare," Chestnut snorted in his mind and Raban looked at Chestnut with a snort of his own.
"I doubt she's had much opportunity to meet other demons in social situations," he returned telepathically as he looked back at Janine.

Raban and Chestnut were soon given question and Chestnut snickered, her head tossing lightly as wolf and demon looked at each other. Since Chestnut had no way to audibly express words to Janine, Raban had to act as her intermediary.

"I'd tell you her proper name, but even I can't pronounce it. She'd let me freeze if i tried." Raban didn't sound like he was joking either. Raban and Chestnut had a peculiar kind of relationship, one formed out of a mutual benefit to each other than out of friendship. It had progressed beyond mutual need and into something more substantial but Chestnut was and always would be a fickle thing to get along with.

"She can understand you. She just can't reply in kind. She won't tell me what she did to deserve it... Believe me, I've tried prying and almost got myself roasted a few times for it. But she's not a horse out of her own volition or choice. She was forced into it. I found her stuck in bog and got her out. Nearly scared me witless when she suddenly started talking in my head."

Raban nodded, "She says if you speak Demonic she can understand you but says not expect me to understand it. not until she gives translation." it was clear the horse had communicated something, her large velvety muzzle bumped into Raban's head, her eyes serious.

"She's a fire demon... Thus the heat and the high spirited nature she shows off. I would be lost without her... and probably would have been found out much sooner than today," Raban explained with affection and gratitude as his hand rose to rest on Chestnut's neck. Chestnut snorted softly, the large eyes of the horse peering back at Janine with curiosity.

"I have no idea if she is able to bond with more than one person. That's how I know what she is, and I to her. Telepathy... She's not sure if she can either. She's never bothered to try before. Meat-sacks, as she calls us, aren't usually her favourite go-to for company... but she says she's willing to try,"

Janine sat down patiently as Raban and Chestnut looked to one another. A lot of truths were coming out today - and Chestnut was one of them. How intriguing! She would've never guessed on her own.... But her inner demon must've been sensing it all along. It must've been trying to tell her about Chestnut, but she wasn't experienced enough to know what her body was trying to convey.

There still seemed to be a lot that she needed to learn... Somehow.

Janine shied her head a little when Raban said that Chestnut could understand demon language. Understandably, Janine didn't know an inkling of her other half's language. "I.... don't know how to speak in the demonic tongue. And I don't even know if I could understand it if it was spoken aloud. My father rarely got the chance to do anything with me, and my mother wouldn't dare do it for many reasons."

Janine sighed and scratched her side again with her claws. How embarassing to be in the presence of another demon and not be able to speak the native tongue. Maybe it was better to not see other demons as of now.... If she even wanted to see them.

"I say.... That is rather..... Frustrating to be stuck in a horse's body. I've heard of a lot of stories of humans being punished and trapped in an animal's body. Compared to them, you got the better end of the stick - I'd rather be a horse than a spider or raccoon or fox. And to think, you got one of the strongest breeds of horse to be in - a lot of muscle and weight to throw around," Janine said with a hissing chuckle. And she wasn't trying to throw out empty complements, she was being sincere with her words. She'd seen the power of a war horse, and she didn't want to be under the hooves of a charging animal like Chestnut.

The idea that Chestnut was a fire demon made Janine tilt her head. She tended to like the heat, and wondered how hot the horse could be before anything happened. She knew that she was inherently resistant to heat, but demonic fire was most likely different than normal fire. Of course, she wouldn't dare invade privacy and personal space to test her theories out - lest she suffer major consequences.

She saw how close Raban and Chestnut were, and figured it was the same as her and Venus. She loved Venus very much, and would do a lot of things to keep her safe. She was valuable as a companion, and she wouldn't dare abuse her or take her for granted. Raban would do what he could to protect Chestnut, and she'd probably do the same. The fact that she was a demon probably made the relationship they have to be quite rare.

Raban claiming that Chestnut called them 'Meat-sacks' didn't sit very well with her - she couldn't help but to hiss with a flicking tongue. It wasn't very flattering of a nickname at all. She couldn't help but look down at herself, soon to look back up with a sigh. Well, maybe demons didn't take to humans very much. Humans surely didn't take to demons very much. But she told Raban she was willing to try to bond with her..... Okay..... Janine wasn't going to push anything, but she did have a curious a desire to see if she could.

"Well.... I mean, I guess so. I can't expect anything to happen over night, but it would be nice to be on some terms with you," Janine said with a flick of her tail. She then looked up to the sky and took notice of the sun. It was finally beginning to spread some warmth, something that Janine needed a lot. She was shivering the entire time, but she was content in staying in the forest until he was better.

But how long were they out here? The thought concerned Janine. Perhaps she should go? The young half-demon looked down to her paws. While she had no doubt that Chestnut was capable of protecting Raban - otherwise, how else would he have survived for as long as he did? - she just wanted to sit and think about what would happen next. She and Raban shared a secret, and she planned on keeping it for as long as she lived.... But what next? The knights of the Order would surely be wondering where they were, and Janine didn't have a good idea on how to explain herself or Raban when the time would arise.

Sooner rather than later, her thoughts drifted towards her mother and how she spoke to Raban. She sighed inwardly with embarrassment once more, appalled at how she might've made the man feel.... Then she had another thought. He was still naked. She glanced an eye at his body, and flinched a little. How had she been so blind to it all this time! She would've never been this close to a naked man let alone a man in general - especially not alone in a forest. And on top of that, he's not used to anyone else seeing him this way. Poor Raban must be embarrassed out of his mind.

Figuring that she respect whatever modesty and decency he might've had left, Janine got up on her paws and stretched herself out. She turned her head to meet his and spoke up.

"I'm so sorry about my mother. She's unbearably embarassing at times, and you unfortunately got some dose of her..... we'll just call it 'antics'. But don't worry about her - she really will keep your secret. I don't see how she won't. She's not the loudmouth, gossipy type of woman anyway. Well, I suppose I'll leave you two to yourselves. Maybe you'll heal faster with me gone. See you whenever you get back in town Raban. You too Chestnut." And with that, Janine bounded off towards the town.

Raban was tired and in pain and trying to find the right moment in which to ask her to help him with his leg but she seemed to need the time to process everything she had learned about him and about Chestnut. Two demons in the same town was surely something of a rare happenstance. He remained patient however.

"I don't either... Chestnut has to translate for me." Raban smiled before his eyes glanced to Chestnut and nodded.

"She says you don't really need to. Most know many human tongues by now," Raban conveyed on Chestnut's behalf used to playing the intermediary in the rare instances that he could do so. So few knew of their true selves in the world in which they lived.

"Chestnut says she's glad she's not a spider. She dislikes spiders. And she certainly is very good at throwing her weight around," Raban agreed. Chestnut had been lucky, Shire's were renowned war horses and their easy, calm and docile temperament meant they rarely got spooked by anything. Shire's were often called cold blooded but Chestnut was the opposite, she was a fiery thing but inhabiting a cold blooded natured horse was certainly a plus. She never had to worry about being so flighty as some horse breeds could prove to be. A skittish horse in times of war was a bad thing to have around.

A silence took them and Raban realised halfway through he had been drawn into a daze. His actions throughout the night had clearly been extensive. He was tired and with Chestnut's warm, gentle heat keeping him toasty, it was enough to lull him to slumber. He kept waking due to Chestnut's prodding in his mind and out of a consciousness that they weren't alone.

He was about to speak to her and ask for her help when she suddenly got to all fours and spoke. Raban, too much of a gentleman, let her do so much to the annoyance of Chestnut who snorted at him irritably. Raban shook his head, dismissing her mother's 'antics' as she seemed to call them. Raban had been alive long enough to see relationships between mothers and daughter's, father to sons... Parents only wanted the best for their offspring and to ensure they had a stable future.

"That's okay... I..." and she was off with a bounding movement that made him quite appreciative of what he now knew she was. He had never known more than the one demon before. They would need to discuss and have a proper conversation some day but for now it looked like he would have to sort himself out.

"She's rude, and talkative! And you should of asked! Why didn't you?!"
"Do I really have to answer that?"
"You still should of!"
"Yes, well... now you get to, don't you?"
"She did that on purpose."
"Hardly, come on... It hurts,"

The horse snorted before she rose and moved to his broken limb. She gave no preamble as she took his ankle into her mouth and pulled it gently. he didn't scream out, but he still felt it. She must have done it right as he felt his body immediately start repairing the damage. He was starting to feel better at least.

He shifted to Chestnut when she laid back down next to him. He rummages in the saddle bags before he found a spare tunic. Painfully, he wriggled into it before he spent a moment trying to get on his companion's back. He managed it after a while, breathing a little hard as she rose to her feet. She needed no verbal or even telepathic command. She turned and instantly began the journey back to where he was staying.

Raban knew exactly what he was going to do when he did get home, and that was to sleep. He was going to sleep very well indeed.

After a short amount of time, something made itself known in the forest. Deep growls echoed from a distance, but it was still a bit too close for comfort. They didn't sound draconic, but nonetheless it was no doubt a predator.

Shuffling footsteps sounded out to those with a more keener sense of hearing, slowly but surely getting louder as time passed. Eventaully, Chestnut and Raban would be in the general direction of a large brown body.

It was a bear. A Horned Grizzly at that. And from the size of it, it was most likely a male one. Growls and huffs came out of the bear's mouth as the beast shook his head, scraping his claws on the bark of the tree. He got down and began walking, but then caught sight of the Knight and his shire. He growled and started showing off his brown horn on the top of his head. The black nostrils flared as he sniffed the air - taking in the scent of Raban and Chestnut as they stood before him.

The bear eyed Raban, taking notice of his smaller size, and slapped his long tail down on the ground as he slowly stalked towards them. The bear seemed to be taking in both the Knight and his horse of their sizes, no doubt calculating who would be the better prey. Long claws scraped across the leaves and dirt, showing their deadly length as the beast growled and roared at the Knight and horse.

He glared at Chestnut and snorted - he must've chosen what he wanted. Flattening his ears, the huge grizzly charged with a loud roar, flashing his white fangs at the horse as he prepared his attack.

Raban hung low over the saddle, the movement of Chestnut beneath was not aiding any attempt to stay awake but rather the opposite. This did not last forever as the forest took on a breath of silence before he heard something. Something that made Chestnut slow to a stop with her head raised in alarm. He blinked and peered around blearily. He frowned, he couldn't tell what it belonged to or where it was. He was too tired and exhausted from having fought for most of the night. It was a downside of what he was. He was not immune to injury nor to exhaustion once he returned to his human state. The wolf had the will and endurance of the demon mare he rode but once he was human again, he was as good as defenceless. Especially right now where he was without armour and had no sword.

Chestnut snorted and carried on determined to get her Little Wolf back home so that he could sleep and heal. He healed better when he slept. Before long, the growls and snorts grew louder still and it jolted Raban awake once more. He could barely keep his eyes open and in an attempt to bring his sense back to the fore, he slapped himself hard. It helped, but it would not last. It sounded big and guttural. There was an ursine quality to it and as he stared around, he learned he was mostly correct. The horn was a distinction. He stared as Chestnut kept walking.

"Great... We have company..." he said aloud.
"You might want to hold on, Little Wolf," Chestnut returned, her ears flicking back. She was not scared or spooked even with being what she was. She knew how vulnerable Raban was. He could not change into the wolf on a broken body with no energy reserves to call on. Raban held on to the saddle and her mane heeding her advice with an obedient touch realised from previous turnings where his choice had been taken away from him. Raban chanced a look at the Horned Grizzly and winced. It had seen them and he could tell it saw prey. It was eyeing him but Raban was aware that for a predator who was hungry, it would try for Chestnut.

Chestnut snorted, waiting on the right moment, listening with pricked dagger-like ears that stuck up out of a thick mane. She peered towards the bear with a fiery gaze that most would acknowledge to be one of a challenge. She was no normal prey. As soon the bear began its roar, she launched into a full gallop with Raban holding on, bent over the saddle to reduce drag. They didn't need this... This forest was starting to be that of a strange nightmarish place. Raban knew he would have no chance against the beat but Chestnut was on next to fresh reserves and she was hardly a normality in herself. Hooves dug into the leaf covered soil, sending divots outwards as the hoof lifted and was lowered again.

Chestnut was not as fast as a lighter breed of horse. Had she been a Barb or some other lighter build, she could have run up to seventy miles per hour, easily. She was much heavier and stood taller at the shoulders and thus was limited in her speed to around thirty-five miles per hour by comparison. Whilst she lacked the speed, she had the power of endurance. All she had to do was to stay out of the bear's reach for now. That was her first and foremost thought on the matter.

"Could really have used the meat-sack on this one!"
"Would you stop calling her that?"
"She is what she is! In any case, running off like that... oh, nearly!"
Chestnut had felt a claw scrape against her hoof and she picked up her speed as much as she could do for her size.

Raban grunted, Janine would have been useful but that wasn't going to be much help now. He had no idea if Janine was even still in the vicinity to have heard the bear at all much less put two and two together. In it all, the pain flared from his wounds matched with a slow adrenaline that was keeping him awake just enough to hold on for dear life. Should he fall, the bear could consider him the easier target and round on him without so much as a thought.

After she left Raban, Janine ran for a good minute, but she had decided to take a breather for a moment. She panted as she combed through her fur with her fangs, taking care to not pierce herself with them. Not because she feared poisoning herself, but because her venom was precious - she used it to kill whatever bugs wanted to live in her fur. Between combing her fur and the fact that her blood was highly poisonous to ingest, she was rather safe from any and all blood-sucking insects and beasts that wanted to take her blood. And besides, she hated the feeling of her own venom being injected into herself - she'd done it on accident several times when she was still getting used to her bulky bestial form, and it was a sensation she'd rather not feel again if she could help it.

After a short rest, Janine got back up to get moving again, but a roar from behind her stopped her dead in her tracks. What in the world? What was happening? That didn't come from where she thought it was coming from right? Her tail flicked nervously as she listened to the sounds again.

Another roar. And it was coming from behind her. The roar wasn't one that she was too familiar with... Was Raban in trouble? But Chestnut's capable of defending him wasn't she? Then she heard shrill neighs echoing in the air. Damnit. She sounded like she was in trouble as well!

Janine snarled and immediately turned around, dashing back towards the sounds as fast as she could. She had to see what was happening. She bounded though the forest as she kept track of the roars, and soon felt the thundering beating of hooves under her paws. Chestnut. It had to be. She made a small turn and kept running, soon seeing Raban and Chestnut being chased by a huge bear. Was that a Horned Grizzly? She had never seen one alive before. Normally, she'd see them being dragged into town by hunting parties. Such a large creature. She almost wanted to admire it... But it was chasing the wrong person. She quickly got into a fighting spirit and rushed down the way parallel of the horse and bear.

Janine had to get to the bear without hurting Chestnut, but it was already too close to her. She remembered that Chestnut wasn't built for speed and decided that whatever happened was to happen carefully, but swiftly. Her eye slits narrowed a little as she slowly but surely got closer. She took in the bulk of the bear; the attributes of his body...... and when she was the right distance, Janine lunged with a hissing roar, her claws outstretched as she tackled the bear with her own strength.

The bear roared in surprise as he and Janine fell to the ground, sliding on his side before stopping. Janine rolled in the ground for a few seconds, but she recovered near instantaneously, her body rising off the ground with the rattling of her tail.

The bear slowly got up and was face to face with this bizzare creature. He hesitated slightly, but he quickly shook it away and roared ferociously at her, and Janine roared in turn. She looked back to Raban and Chestnut, the slits in her eyes thinner than before. There was no way that this bear was going to get near them with her around....

The large bear stood on his hind legs to try and intimidate her, but Janine smirked in her head and simply flicked her tongue at him. The young demon stood on her feet as a challenge, towering over the male bear with a few feet to her name. She rattled her tail as she glared at the beast... Then, without warning, Janine raised a paw and slashed her claws across the bear's muzzle, making the animal cry out in pain. He stumbled sideways before falling to the ground again, his body making a huge thud as he hit the ground. Janine stepped a few feet back all on her hind legs, using her tail to balance herself as she moved.

"Piss off," Janine snarled as she got on all fours to get in a defensive stance. She spread her front legs apart a little as she shifted her body to the side. Her tail repeatedly slammed on the ground as she waited for the bear to recover, and her senses heightened as she prepared for a fight.

Last edited:
The wind and the sound of her thundering hooves and her breath was all that filled Raban's ears as she raced along. He was bent low over the saddle, too tired to sit upright and it helped with the drag. He could smell horse and smoke. He temperature was rising as it often did when she was angry. She was certainly angry that she was running from this bear unable to fry his fur into cinders and that he was chasing them either for her flesh or Raban's. It didn't really matter who was the target of the bear's hunger or anger at this point.

He felt the claws collide and held on tighter, his frame shaking somewhat. He could hear Chestnut curse in his mind. He knew it was a curse, but he didn't understand the words she had spoken. It was her hellish language of Demonic that she had used and he was sure that demon curses were far more fragrant than those of humanity's.

Chestnut neighed loudly. She snickered, champed and neighed. There was an ethereal demonic laugh to the sound but Raban wasn't paying attention to it. He was so focused on staying on her back as her broad back rose and fell as her powerful legs carried her onward. She was trying her best but she did not have the speed to outrun this beast of a bear and he knew it. He did not blame her even if he was fearful of the result. He might be a Knight and a werewolf, both forms having accepted the idea of death and that it was a constant threat of his livelihood but he was still afraid of dying. He would be lying through his teeth if he wasn't. He might be a creature of the dark, of shadow and nightmare but he was still also human. It did not matter that he was a born wolf. He still carried a human's fears and concerns.

The claws scraped against Chestnut's fetlocks and hocks and she gave out another shrill demonic sounding neigh in reply. She leapt over a fallen log with little warning to her rider and he grunted in pain as she landed knowing equally she was now injured too. She turned round a bend and stumbled in a rabbit hole. The result was almost disastrous. Raban lost his hold and fell from the saddle and her back, tumbling in the leaf litter with a hard landed that expelled the air from his lungs. He curled and coughed, trying to regain his breath.

Chestnut came to a halt before she moved to stand over her Little Wolf, ready to face the bear but it did not come. She then realised what had taken her attention in the moment before she had stumbled over a rabbit hole. A large form had arrived out of nowhere and was now facing the bear which was growling and snarling in return.

"Janine! The meat-sack heard!"
"Stop... calling her... that... Damn, that hurt..."
"Don't talk. Breathe. You're too weak."

Raban snorted but he obeyed since he had no strength to defend himself from the threat of a bear. He shifted, trying to get a line of sight on Janine and the bear. He could see her and smiled, he was getting into a habit of being saved. This was at least twice now. He watched as the bear was slashed across its face and go into the ground. He could feel heat radiating off of Chestnut who remained standing protectively over him. Steam rose and as he looked, he could see the air through that blurry fuzzy appearance when it met something hot enough to boil it.

The bear struggled to its feet and shook itself. It growled and rumbled before it charged for her again. Raban could feel its feet as they met the ground. The bear was angry. He could sense that even if his strength was not there. The bear tried to bite and slash at this strange demonic quadruped after slamming his bulk into her.

Chestnut watched as half-breed and bear fought standing over her companion. She was ready if the bear got too close for her liking. A strike from her hooves could easily kill a man and she suspected could a wound for this bear. However she doubted she would have that opportunity. She had seen Janine take on Raban when he was at his worst and she had controlled him much more easily than Chestnut would have been able to. She had little doubt Janine would have no trouble in dealing with an irate ursine.

The horned bear rammed into Janine with a snarl, head down low as he tried to impale her with his horn. Janine had already taken the horn into account when she first engaged the bear, so she avoided the sharp body part as much as she could. She still felt the heavy blow and stumbled to the side, shaking her body and tail as she backed away. This was a nice sized creature to fight. It was bigger than Raban was, which called to the more...... competitive side of Janine. She didn't think this fight was a game at all, but something in her was excited to fight this bear - her strength was going to be tested again.

Janine hissed as she charged at the bear, and the bear ran at her in response. The two rose up to their hind legs to engage in close combat, paws, claw and fangs moving through the air and making all sorts of contact. The bear slammed a paw into Janine's shoulder; Janine responded by slashing his neck. The bear wrestled his paws around her neck and opened his maw to bite it - and it made contact. He used the momentum to fall forward, forcing Janine on her back as he shook her neck around like a ragdoll.

The young demon couldn't help but gasp in shock at the incredible pressure the jaws presented. But unbeknownst to the bear, despite feeling the bite, the teeth did not penetrate her scales. Janine snarled and opened her huge mouth, revealing her two huge fangs as venom laced saliva dripped out her mouth.

The urge to bite him was so great, it was nearly instinctual.... But she had to hold off. She couldn't go killing everything with her venom - for one it would be cheating to her. She couldn't rely on her venom for every fight. So she used all her strength to force the bear of her, the power of her hind legs displayed as she snarled and hissed at the beast above her. It tried to hold fast to her jaws, but Janine quickly dispatched the fangs by racking her claws across his vulnerable jaw and gums, blood splattering as they went through pink flesh.

The bear roared even more in pain, and released Janine's neck - which was all that was needed as she finally threw the beast off her. It skidded in the ground, but held its stance, though that didn't stop Janine from charging with a gaping mouth. She leaped over the bear and slammed her clubbed tail down on his back, making it roar in pain once again. She whirled around and leaped directly on the bear's, back, where she could avoid his horn and the three shoulder spikes on each shoulder blade.

She began to make a series of blows and scratched all over the animal's back, just like she did to Raban last night. She slammed her clawed feet down on the bear's lower back, and clung fast with her long claws as she aimed to do as much damage as she could. The bear nearly howled in pain, but Janine wouldn't let up. After three minutes of the bear trying his hardest to get Janine off, the young half-demon jumped off and maneuvered around the bear to give it one good smack in the face with her clubbed tail.

The bear went down like a ton of bricks. A bloodied up ton of bricks. Both the bear and Janine were panting heavily, the bear bleeding while Janine had two or three scratches on her body. Still pumped with adranaline, her beastial body waited for the bear to get up - she slammed her tail on the ground and stomped her feet to challenge the bear. The bear slowly got up and looked towards Raban and Chestnut - the desire was somewhat there, but with Janine in the way, the cost was much too great. He slowly backed away as Janine slowly stalked towards him as she flashed her fangs, venom dripping as she walked.

Fear and submission gripped the bear, and he quickly turned around retreat to save what was left of his body and pride. Janine charged toward the retreating bear to make sure he left, making small scratches at his flank and tail. When the bear ran and didn't come back, she stomped her feet and slammed her tail in the ground in triumph.

Then she rose up on her hind legs and roared a nearly feral roar, signaling to all the animals within earshot that she was there. It was nearly a challenge and a warning at the same time, but she was tired of animals trying to get at Raban. Wolves, bears, dragons... The whole lot can go jump off a cliff. She turned her head toward Raban and Chestnut, her eye slits still thinner than before. She approached them slowly as she regained her breath, her tongue flicking out as saliva dripped from her scaly maw.

She almost looked like a feral beast herself.

After a minute or two, Janine's slits widened out to their normal size, and she calmed down somewhat. Her lungs heaved for air, but thankfully, she was able to withstand strenuous tasks and pushing her body... at least in this form.

"Are you two okay?" Janine slowly asked a she eyed the knight and horse.

Raban grunted as he moved, grimacing as the movement caused pain to erupt from his broken femur and other placed on his abused body. His skin was a canvas of pink, black, blue and purple marks by now and his tunic was sticking to the gashes to his back. he paid it no mind. The consequences of his actions had Janine not been there would have been far more costly. He moved till his back rested against Chestnut's hind leg. She stood stock still when she felt his weight knowing just how weak and tired he was. He could hide very little from her these days and with his so low on his strength and energy, his guard was lowered and his mind completely open. She could control him if she so wished but years of debt and respect kept her from doing so.

He watched as Janine scrapped it out with the Horned Bear. He had heard of them before from those that had witnessed them. He had never seen one for himself before. It was certainly of an impressive size and was grateful for Janine's timely arrival. He would not have managed the bear alone and knew even chestnut may have had trouble in dealing with it. Raban breathed deeply as he watched, studying Janine just as much as he was the bear. She was strong and knew instinctively she was already far stronger than himself though he was certain he could still give her a run for her money were he not a raging beast.

His eyes were growing heavier and heavier as the fight progressed and it couldn't have lasted more than a few minutes which had felt much longer to him in reality. His head rested against the muscle of Chestnut's leg before he reached to rub at his face, fingers scratching over a couple of day's growth of beard, gaunt cheeks and somewhat pronounced cheekbones. His hand eventually dropped back into his lap, eyes trying to stay awake and fix on the fight between Janine and the bear.

Chestnut lowered hoer head and peered at Raban when she sensed his mind slipping away and snorted when she saw he had dozed off. The fight with Janine had exhausted him to the point of collapse. The bear had pushed him to the edge in his effort to hold on to the saddle and her mane with the chase. She raised her head and looked back to see the Bear looking her way. She pawed the ground and snorted loudly with contempt. How dare he consider her food?

"Go on, you filthy animal. Go find something else to eat. Go on.." she challenged uncaring to the fact the bear would have heard it but the challenge and intimidating stare from her eyes was a clear enough reaction in her. She snorted again as it left leaving Janine alone again with her and Raban.

The roar woke him again and he blinked, staring at Janine as he saw her stood on her hinds. He heard the challenge in her roar and knew every creature in earshot would hear it too. The silence afterwards proved it. He could hear the protective notes within the note and was touched by the care within it. He wondered how many werewolves let alone the rare cases such as himself had people they could place their trust and secrecy in. He knew he could trust her with his life as much as he did with Chestnut.

"For once... I can't fault you. She is better equipped to stop you, Little Wolf. What can heat and hooves do?"
"A lot..."

Raban looked up when he heard footfalls tread into the leaf litter and stared back with eyelids that did not open completely. He was nearly ready to fall asleep again. The pain was an ache. Chestnut tossed her head lightly in response to Janine's question. her fetlocks and hocks were bloodied but she would heal in time. She was more worried about Raban. Her head lowered and peered towards him. Raban smiled and nodded.

"I'm all right... Looking forward to a bed," he could not keep his eyes open for long but he would blink every so often and shift. This did cause him pain but the pain helped to stay conscious even for a little while. He cleared his throat ignoring his own tiredness and pains.

"Thank you for the save again..." he breathed looking at Janine with no fear of what she was. He was fast gaining a healthy respect for her.

Back