Increasing Post Output?

York

Just a newbie...
Well, long story short, as you may or may not have seen in my introduction site, my posting rates have really stagnated as of late. It's hard to say if it's a combination between class work, general horrible management of time, and some form of burnout, or just me getting progressively worse with procrastination, buuut... Well, would anyone happen to have any advice as to how to er... Fix this problem, so to speak?

If you want my advice, then I think that you're on the right track: Burnout. It happens to all of us, even the best of writers. Sometimes you just feel like you wanna write, sit down to do so, and instead of feeling like the normally fun and exciting hobby that it usually is, it instead ends up feeling like a chore. I think that's the difference between burnout and writer's block, in my eyes at least, anyone else can feel free to disagree.

Burnout is what happens when you feel you have an obligation to write/join in on the fun if say it's a group story/RP. But when you start to get right down to it, it feels less like you're writing a post up that's supposed to be inspiring fun and instead feels more like 'work' which RP should never feel like. If it does then you need to take a step back and re-evaluate what the RP means to you and if it's worth forcing yourself to trudge out a post when you're not having fun.

Writer's block is when you really, REALLY want to write but for some reason or another, an excuse or something else comes up and stops you from doing so. One of the most common ways I've heard of getting past writer's block is rather simple: simply keep on writing and eventually you'll find your flow and gel with it. Truth be told when I get stuck, I usually just step away from the computer, turn on some synth music or Daft Punk and try to relax while thinking up fresh ideas in my head and maybe that's what you need. Something to inspire you and get you back into the swings of things, feeling fresh and rejuvenated and ready to write out some awesome posts!

I like having music on in the BG while I post as I feel it helps my brain envision the scene I'm writing out better. Maybe you could try that if you haven't been already? Hope this helps regardless. ^^

Hmm, I suppose my problem lies within stepping away too frequently because of the more frequent onset of burnout x.x which appears to be my main reason why my post output stagnates. Motivation fades, I go away for a while to try and rejuvinate it, finally, post... Rinse and repeat >.<

Hmm, I suppose my problem lies within stepping away too frequently because of the more frequent onset of burnout x.x which appears to be my main reason why my post output stagnates. Motivation fades, I go away for a while to try and rejuvinate it, finally, post... Rinse and repeat >.<

Ooh, now that I can totally understand. Happens to me all the time. I have a really severe case of ADHD(it's to the point where if you tell me to do something and I don't go do it immediately after, I'll likely forget you told me. It's hampered me on some real life jobs to be honest. But I've been working on trying to get medicine for it.) and it affects my writing as well. It's why I can't be arsed to be a GM. Until I get my ADHD under control, I'm far too liable to simply wander off and or lose interest.

In that case, my next bout of advice might be to take what you've been working on/tending to in order to try and boost your motivation(I'm assuming video games, shows, something along those lines) and maybe open up a word doc or something(maybe even Notepad), pick a character that interests you and just start writing as them.

Doesn't have to be for very long, doesn't even have to make much sense. It's just meant to be an exercise that gets you involved in trying to set/get into a character's personality and thus be personally invested in what kind of trails this character might take. That way when an RP comes up that catches your eye, you can look back to what you did as that character and be like 'hey, inspiration!'

Hope I'm helping at least a little bit lol

Hmm... Yeah, that's probably a good idea xD I suppose I just need to squeeze that in between my homework and all that, but it's a start. I guess I just need to well, keep myself from getting super sidetracked when I attempt to combat burnout x.x since that appears to be the underlying problem (at least from my own past experiences).

Hmm... Yeah, that's probably a good idea xD I suppose I just need to squeeze that in between my homework and all that, but it's a start. I guess I just need to well, keep myself from getting super sidetracked when I attempt to combat burnout x.x since that appears to be the underlying problem (at least from my own past experiences).

Heh, well if it's any consolation, you have my full fledged confidence in ya. You'll get over this hump and write some amazing posts.

Well, thanks! xD

No problem!

giphy.gif

Back