New User - Insert Clever Title About New Beginnings Here -

Peregrine

Hi! I'm Peregrine, but most people call me Pip. I enjoy over-the-top adventure movies and also cooking and staying in with my pets. I've stepped away from the RP world for awhile to deal with this little thing called getting a college education, getting my career started, and the meaning of life (it's 42). With all of the 'Rona, I've found myself inside more and wanting to write again. I need to find my sea legs again and I'm quite rusty. Here are genres that I'm practiced in:

• medieval fantasy
  • modern fantasy
  • historical fantasy
  • Harry Potter
  • horse and stable
  • western
  • post apocalyptic

Genres I would like more practice in:
  • Steampunk
  • historical
  • unusual, cool concepts
  • action/adventure

I typically RP in third person and past tense and sometimes in first person and past tense, but I'm very flexible on this. Any questions, ask away. I typically play male-identifying characters and post length is meaningless to me. I think I'm a very funny writer, but the jury's still out on that one...

Hey, great to see that you joined STC. If you haven't had a chance to look over the new member approval guide this is a great time to do so. It outlines the best way to get approved quickly and provides a general over view of the site. If you have any questions let me know.

So, here is an odd writing question for you? Have you ever written a story that did not have any romance and was purely written for the enjoyment of adventure? If you have, what did you like or not like about it? If you have not, what genre do you think would lend itself best to such a setting?

Yes! I've written several plays. One is a full-on romantic comedy, one was about dating (it was a comedy), but the rest don't feature romance at all - they just allude to it or maybe one of the characters mention it. In the RP world, most of my plots and NOT romance plots. I guess I let the story take me where it's going to take me and I, as the writer, follow. Romance is a part of life and therefore, I think any story can work with or without romance or happen to have romance in it as an element, but not as the focus.

How about you?

I have absolutely written both with and without romance. More recently I have tried some with romance because it was an area that I was horribly awkward writing. My characters are still somewhat lacking in romantic gestures, but it's just sorta me. Probably my favorite is to write adventures. Adventures are the best and seeing where the new world will go is exactly up my alley.

Same here! I prefer action-adventure to be the primary genre and if the romance is not organic, I don't include it. Just like in real life.

I feel like this about romance in roleplays as well. It can be a nice adddition if it occurs as a natural progress of previous developments between the characters in question. But, with it as the main focus, aside from greater odds of being forced, once that is resolved, it might feel like there is not much else to do from that point on, where with a romance as a side plot, there is still adventures to focus on.

Back