Inspiration Is Everywhere: Fun Writing Prompt

Sway

Dark, doom honey
Hello all. Sway here!

I thought I’d contribute to the Writer’s Circle by offering a writing prompt activity for all of you. As we are all writers (roleplaying definitely counts as writing), I’ve found prompt writing wonderful in idea generation and inspiring creativity!

So what’re the ground rules? None. Nada. Zip! I’ll be offering a theme of some type through a picture, song, or other media that I stumble across. Just write whatever comes to mind, wherever the muse of the source takes you, whatever the length. Push your boundaries. Everything is fair game.

If you’d like to comment or offer criticism for another, feel free to do so. Be warned: rudeness is heavily frowned upon. Believe it or not, it is possible to offer criticism in a positive, constructive way.

Without further ado, let’s get started. Here’s the inspiration source. Happy writing :]!

---

The Green Kingdom - Untitled​

“I’m scared”

Rogers laid against the beaten Earth. Thousands upon thousands of artillery shells rained down from the Heavens hungrily murdering all within its touch. The orchestrated synchronization of machines crafted by humanity to destroy humanity became the war's heartbeat. The sky above was grey. The smell of corruption and gun powder strangled his every breath.

If there was a Hell, this was it. The Great War. The war to end all wars.

He gazed upwards; there wasn’t much to look at.

The taste of ma’s freshly baked apple pie filled his thoughts. Every Saturday she’d make the finest pies the small town in Alabama he grew up in. His brothers would fight for seconds. Rogers always got seconds. The neighbors would also come on over and share in the tiny celebrations the Johansson family held each Saturday. Sometimes it’d even turn into a pot luck. Mister and misses Ambrose’s secret iced tea recipe was no trivial matter either. How he longed for a bite of pie and a glass of sweet iced tea.

Feeling someone shake his shoulder, Rogers groaned. He couldn’t feel his legs. His body was alight with agony that left him silent. If it was a hun, he was ready for a bayonet to the gut. Just like how training taught him.

“Rogers! Shit. Shit!” He recognized the voice. Joe? Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn’t. “Sweet Christ. I don’t know …”

“Just go,” Rogers whispered. “You wanna do me a favor? One small favor?”

“What’s that, Rogers?”

He dry swallowed. He didn’t want to die. When he first came over to foreign lands to fight, he thought the Allies would crush the Germans. Crush the huns that started this whole mess. At their surrender, he looked forward to going home as a hero. He’d ask Sarah Fisher to marry him and find some place quiet in the country. Or California. Word was the golden state had beauties on the coast. Maybe he’d earn enough to buy a place out on the coast somewhere.

But now he knew all that was a dream. There was no glory in war. No glory in bayoneting German soldiers when the officers ordered them over the top. The whistles. He’d learned to fear the whistles. Huddling in the trenches praying that a shell didn’t find you wasn’t so bad. Going over the top? It was a turkey shoot. You didn’t need to be an expert rifleman to score a hit in a crowd. But maybe he didn’t have to worry about that anymore. He would soon become a corpse like hundreds of thousands of others.

“You do me a kindness and send me to the lord,” Rogers said. The cacophony of the war was starting to fade. The world became ever grayer. “You do me a kindness and send me home. My pocket … you take that letter. You send it. You hear me?” His eyes grew wet. He felt his chest shake. “I wanna go home … I wanna go home …”

The hand on his shoulder balled into a fist before he felt it leave. Something snaked into his coat pocket and pull away. He smiled.

“I’m sorry…”

Rogers smiled through the tears. “I’m not scared.”

“… I’ll get you home, brother. You got my word.”

Rogers closed his eyes. He smiled as he took his last breath of corrupted air.

He wasn’t afraid. He’d eat ma’s pies again soon enough.

The Starving Time

Burrowing under the blankets he tried to avoid the cold that plucked impatiently at the edges of the bed role. A thread of cool air sifted through the side of the blanket and wrapped around his shoulders. Duncan rolled his eyes and finally threw the blanket off. Dawn had come though it could not be considered kind. It was never kind to be awakened from a slumber that had staved off the constant hunger pains. Hunger, a cruel master and one that rarely released his slaves.

Duncan’s long skeletal fingers stretched toward the peat moss stacked in the fireplace. The fire was barely warm enough to emit the same heat as a torch. Reaching for a few more pieces of peat the man shuddered. Another tendril of cold air had snaked its way toward his bones. A practiced patience settled in and the man kept on collecting the peat moss till he had enough dry chunks to burn on the fire and get the heat up. It took several minutes for the embers to begin glowing with a lively orange and then the smoke rose as the flames began to caress the new fuel. Duncan reached behind himself and grabbed the blanket. Wrapping it around his shoulder he then pulled his knees up to his chest and watched the fire grow.

The heat from the fire began to push against the man until he was forced to move away for fear of being burned. Savoring the heat for just a moment longer Duncan turned his back to the flame.

Tired eyes peered out from under a blanket nearby. “Dad?”

Turning toward the boy he forced himself to smile. “Aye…I’m here. Maybe today.” He knew before the boy said it. The boy was hungry and there was naught to do about it, but try again. They could go out to the river and wait for the fish to come up stream. It was not yet time. The Salmon would not be coming for many days, perhaps weeks.

Taking the blanket off, Duncan laid it over his son. “I will be back soon.” Swiftly moving to the opening of the sod house he glanced back one more time before stepping outside. What greeted him was the usual sight. The ground still bore the scars of the burning from late summer. The MacClain clan had all but destroyed the village and took any surviving villagers they could find to serve as slaves. Perhaps being left a free man was a far more cruel fate. It was the starving time and he had nothing to give to the boy. Instead they slowly wasted away and faces drew in tight against their skulls.

Duncan plodded up the hill. His lungs burned with the effort. Stopping part way up the hill he dropped his head between his knees and breathed in heavily. Determined not to fail he raised his head once more and continued toward the river.

The deep rumble of rocks being pushed down the river bed sounded and then the characteristic splash of the water beating relentlessly on the boulders too large to move. As the stream came into view Duncan dropped to his knees. A salmon jumped out of the water and pushed its way against the current before leaping out again. Knees wobbling the man got to his feet and made his way toward the edge of the river. He was too weak to withstand the rushing waters. Maybe if he could un-ravel part of his kilt he could use it as a net.

Attempts to throw the kilt into the water and capture a fish proved to be futile. Each time he felt the tug of a salmon the fish would wriggle free before he could pull it closer to himself. Forced to wade into the water Duncan waited patiently for the salmon to come to him.

The water rushed against his legs. Exposure to the cold started his bones aching, still he ignored it. This was nothing compared to the pain of hunger. Wading a bit deeper he cast the kilt out for another fish. Muscles in his arms strained as the current pulled on the kilt. Edging closer to the kilt his foot slipped. Under currents carried him till he found himself plastered to a boulder. Scrambling up side of the rock he shook almost violently against the cold.

Finally he had reached the breaking point. Duncan was ready to present himself and his son as slaves. Even if the salmon had come in time he could not capture one. Still clutching his kilt he began to untangle it when he felt the distinct wriggle of a large fish.

Momentarily his heart leapt and then he glanced about. Wrapping the kilt tighter around the fish he slipped cautiously into the river again and swam toward the shore. Once more he had to stop as he crawled out of the water to catch his breath. His lungs refused to accept oxygen as it seemed to be too much work for his already over tasked body. Duncan rose to his feet and began the return journey home.

Huddled by the fire the boy didn’t pay heed to time. It had all stopped long ago. The starving time had no measure. Turning slightly he frowned. There had been a loud greeting in the distance that sounded very much like his father. It couldn’t be right.

Curling into a tighter ball he gazed into the flames until he heard another call from his father. This time it was very near. Slowly getting to his feet the boy wrapped the blankets around himself tighter and shuffled to the doorway. The sight of his father only half clad and cheering may have been enough to evoke a delirious sort of laughter with the exception that he had food. Nearly tripping, the boy hastened to meet his father.

Inside of the kilt that his father had slung over one shoulder there were nearly 5 fish. Hungrily gazing at the limp bodies the boy reached in and took one to begin gnawing on.

Duncan knew he should stop the boy from eating the fish raw. Yet it was a temptation he had himself fallen to. Perhaps he should have felt guilty for eating a whole fish before he returned, but he needed the food. The two of them struggled into the little sod house and laid the fish out to prepare those that remained after indulging their hunger pains with a gluttonous amount of the salmon.

After the feast, father and son curled in their blankets again. The cruel nature of hunger ripped at their insides. Neither of them would awaken the next morning. Their bodies too weak to accept the food had instead rejected the nourishment offered in such copious amounts.

(Writing is never completely realistic. However, this seemed to be the only natural ending. Not to worry I don't kill all my characters but, neither am I afraid to.)

The city was unusually quiet.

The stars hung in the sky as light clouds gently drifted past. The silvery gleam of the moon illuminated us, the two solitary figure standing alone on the roof.

Belle was silently watching the stars, I was nervously fidgeting with the small box in jacket pocket. She was always beautiful, but tonight, under these stars, she looked almost magical. I continued to silently bite my lip and awkwardly glance at her, attempting to choose a good moment to break the perfect silence. She didn't notice, her eyes widely absorbing the clear night sky.

My mind was at war with my insecurities. You've come all this, you've got the ring. Say something. While my fears and hesitations retorted, Just let her enjoy the view for a few more minutes, no need to rush things right? I didn't even know why I was so apprehensive about it. We'd been together since high school, we'd even sort of talked about this before. I'd bought the ring, taken her to dinner, and now we were here. It was a perfect night, almost as if the universe were paving the way for me. But something, probably fear, stayed my hand.

So we stood, both leaning against the railing on the rooftop. She stared almost unblinkingly, her eyes glinting in the starlight. I continued debating with myself about the right time. There won't be a better time, just ask already. Before this moment passes. Something about that thought, the thought of losing this perfect moment moved me.

I turned to Belle, and started to speak when I heard a dull buzz. She glanced down to her coat pocket and retrieved her phone. I peek down to see the caller ID; Work. She answered the phone and brought it up to her ear, I awkwardly shifted my weight attempting to be patient. Of course, once I finally build up the courage, something gets in the way.

Part of me thought this might've been a sign, maybe justifying my nervousness. Yeah, maybe not tonight. I thought. They''ll be other nights. Other chances. I tried convincing myself. I'd like to think I wasn't a coward, but any concern of this caliber, I searched for any reason to simply cut and run.

Belle concluded her call and let out a short sigh, "Sorry, that was John, someone just canceled and they need me to come in a little early." Though she seemed disappointed, her face still held a faint smile, and her tone was soft.

"Oh, I'm sorry."I said meekly, pathetically really.

Belle just shrugged, "Well, what're ya gonna do?" She said this passively, just a simple, Oh well, kind of thing. But I heard it differently, sort of a call to action, what as I gonna do? So many other moments like this, moments that would've been perfect if I'd seized them when I could, I'd simply let pass by. They faded from opportunity to regret. And I thought how badly I didn't want this night soiled by regret.

Belle let out a short breath, the vapor hung in the cold air for a moment, "Well, I suppose I should get going. I've probably already missed the D train so I'm gonna have to take a cab." I just quietly, took her hands, and looked her in the eyes. She smiled at me, a warm comforting smile that set all my fears to rest and assured me in my decision. While we held eye contact, I slowly lowered to one knee. Belle seemed confused at first, but a wave of realization washed over her face and her beautiful gleaming eyes widened.

As I came to my knee. I couldn't help a smile come across my face. She attempted to stammer out "W-what're you-" But as I pulled the ring-box from my pocket, her eyes got teary and covered her mouth with her hand. My smile grew just from how cute she looked in that moment, I knew that this was the right choice.

And I slowly started, "Belle..."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey, I don't usually write this kind of heavily emotional stuff. But the prompt seemed compelling toward this. I would love constructive criticism as, like I said, I don't normally write this emotionally. Thanks for the cool prompt, hope to see more in the future!

Well I have to say that it looks good. Unfortunately my capacity for emotionally driven work, or at least romantic themed stuff is quite limited. When I see this I'm never sure what to say, or if there is even a way to give feedback. I'd like to say I know what's realistic. To be honest I don't. Never got caught up in romance so I'm just about the worst person you could ask. I'm thinking there are a few others around here that have a better idea. Otherwise you get a thumbs up from me. Lol

Well I have to say that it looks good. Unfortunately my capacity for emotionally driven work, or at least romantic themed stuff is quite limited. When I see this I'm never sure what to say, or if there is even a way to give feedback. I'd like to say I know what's realistic. To be honest I don't. Never got caught up in romance so I'm just about the worst person you could ask. I'm thinking there are a few others around here that have a better idea. Otherwise you get a thumbs up from me. Lol
Thanks! This was literally the first time I ever wrote something romantic like this, but I figured I should try my hand at it. I totally understand not having a ton of experience in this area, like I said this was a first for me. But I really appreciate the feedback and support!

Back