Inter-Galactic Relations

When Stetzon was a ways off he stopped and took a quick visual of the area. So far as he could see there wasn't anyone around and the lady was quietly walking along through the park. It was a good time to start walking into the park too. She didn't bring anyone. He had a feeling that she was either someone he could trust, or she wasn't. Since it looked like he could trust her then he was going to stay here to finish up the case. It was always a bit risky when he had to go into territories like this, but that was why he was sent out here.

Noele seemed to have noticed him a few moments before he got close to her and he didn't mind. He wasn't trying to be sneaky. "Maybe we'll just keep walking that way." Pointing toward one of the little residential streets he nodded to her. Once they were on their way and they were clearly out of ear shot of anyone that could be listening he started, "This case could be complex if it's one of the guys I'm thinking of. He could be one of the people in these houses for all I know." After a moment he sighed, "But you should know that the dangerous part is, we all know each other. If he has men out and reporting it won't take him long to figure out it's me and when he figures that out he'll know that the IGP is after him." Since they were on Earth it was better not to say Inter-Galactic Police. Instead he used the acronym.

After a long couple of moments he turned onto another little street. "I'd suggest that you keep your distance from me for as long as it's safe. I'll send you reports, but if you notice anything strange, or out of place then it's time to get closer. If they know you're my contact they'll be looking to come for you." Someone like Chris was too loud and he would have gotten himself killed.

Stetzon stopped at the next little park and headed for a bench. He took a seat on it and watched a few birds fly over head. "Sometime I'll tell you about the war. Probably not till later, but it'll be useful information. For now you should know there are two groups of Chippequoti, the light and the dark. I already told you about the light and you've seen me and I'm dark." His deep olive skin looked almost dirty in the light of the setting sun. "Those two different colors don't mean much. All you really need to know is if they're Imperalist, or not. There are two major sects and the government is split even now. The government is primarily made of those who want peace and the General was killed some years ago. Right now it's a peaceful government, but if things get unsettled it could quickly set the balance of the system off." What that meant for her kind was more than likely a bit problematic. Imperialists wanted more than Quoti and they liked easy targets. Humans were easy targets because they didn't know and they were weak.

Seemed there were a variety of Chippequoti. That made sense, there were a variety in most races to a certain extent. Noelle just listened along with what Stetzon wanted to tell her. There were a several times the conversation would trail off during their walk, but Noelle didn't mind and it didn't seem that Stetzon did either. It was primarily for walking reasons and when they turned a corner. Seemed the Chippequoti wanted to go on the investigation on his own so there wouldn't be suspect of the office's involvement.

"That's already an issue. They've seen us together and are actively looking for both of us. Not so much to capture or bring in, but to see what the next move is." Noelle said with a sigh. "The only reason they backed off of me that day was because they knew who I am. Any registered.. and probably unregistered visitor knows who I am." She shrugged slightly, "Chris would've been a dead man, hes a nobody to them. But they know that if they make a move at me it'll start quite the disruption... If anything, that could be in our favor. Right now they're cautious. Who knows how long they'll remain that way?"

Noelle thought back to the defense in the parking garage. The first man to get out of the car didn't even have a weapon. Even before that on the street when she and Stetzon separated they recognized her and backed off. "With all due respect Stetzon Silver-Bear... You are an expert with the suspect we're dealing with and how he will be running his operation, but I'm an expert on the area and who he'll have working for him. Like it or not, we'll have to go into it together." She tried to reason with him. There was no telling if he'd accept it though.

They had made it all the way to another park and took a seat on a bench. Seemed there was a need for a little history on his race. Noelle nodded, but mostly stayed quiet. Things on his planet seemed to be full of unrest. Generally that meant there would be repercussions for the other members of the Council as well. Earth was usually an easy target since their citizens had no idea they had established contact with 'aliens'. Unlike the movies, their 'will to survive' wouldn't be enough up against the advanced technologies.

It sounded like he wasn't going to get much choice. Noelle was determined to be close for the entire investigation now. Stetzon couldn't change that and he shrugged. "I don't think you intimidate who I'm after. Might make some of the others nervous, but in the end he won't care." She was safe from most of the people, but she wouldn't be safe from him if it came right down to it. "He probably wants to see if he can talk me out of this."

Shaking his head a little Stetzon stood up and started to walk back toward the direction of his hotel and then turned back toward her. "I'll walk with you till you're close to your house and then you'd better be careful." If the guy they were after hadn't decided what Stetzon wanted just yet, there could be time, but things could go badly quite quickly. Stetzon walked a ways and when it seemed that Noelle was ready for him to be done following her, he turned and went back toward the hotel. There were a few things he hadn't said and he wouldn't really want to unless it became a necessary detail. Not everyone needed to know everything about the Chippequoti's force. In fact, the Elders didn't know who half the men were that they endorsed.

Once Stetzon was back to the hotel he settled into his bed and turned on his side. He could hear sirens outside his window and there were flashing lights when one of the emergency vehicles were close enough. There were so many choices to make. Right now he didn't really want to meet up with Artemis. Chances were Artemis was the one and he was one of the few guys that knew what it was like to be in this position. Artemis knew what was at risk if he defected and chose to stay here instead and he wasn't about to do that. This wasn't the kind of risk that Stetzon wanted to take.

A knock sounded on his door and Stetzon sat up in his bed. Walking over to the door he kept the chain across it and barely opened it up to reveal a short dark haired human. He wasn't a Chip, but he looked like he had a small letter in his hand and he slipped it just inside the door and waited for Stetzon to take it before he skittered off. With the little envelope in his hand Stetzon closed the door again and he decided to open it up.

The next morning Stetzon's pad went off a few times, but he remained laying on his bed next to the pad with his eyes open and staring blankly at the ceiling. Every now and then he would blink, but he didn't move. It didn't matter who was calling, he wasn't going to get up and he wasn't going to answer it either. Even when a knock came at the door to his hotel room he didn't move.

It seemed Stetzon may have slightly misunderstood her. Noelle knew she wasn't intimidating in the least. Most non-humans just didn't want to cause trouble with the Inter-Galactic Offices or the Council. She also figured his suspect wouldn't care about who she was. Perhaps thick headedness was something human and Chippequoti men had in common. He had agreed to allow her to be more active in the investigation, so she just left it at that. When it was time to depart, Noelle started toward her home. "Contact me when you're ready for the next steps." She said over her shoulder before he departed for his hotel. Seemed he heard her and she kept moving on until getting home.

Chris seemed to be long gone, which was a good thing. Once inside, she locked the door behind her and turned on the TV. Then went to her drawer to see about any updates. There wasn't much going on. The only message she had was from her mother about missing her, but that they'd see each other soon. Noelle's stomach started growling and she realized she hadn't even had dinner. Since it was late it was going to be another dinner from the freezer. She let it cook while getting into her pajamas. At least she had gotten all the household chores done despite her vacation being postponed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning she woke up later than usual. She must've fallen asleep on the sofa after eating. Her body was sore from not sleeping in a bed and she felt a bit groggy. With one hand she rubbed at her eyes as she sat up, her other hand patted around on the table looking for her phone. It said it was past 9 am already. That seemed to jolt her awake pretty fast. Her hair was all tangled up from keeping it in the ponytail all night. She brushed it out really quick before taking a fast shower to freshen up and wake up a bit more.

After getting dressed, she looked through her phone again. It seemed odd she hadn't heard anything from the Chippequoti yet, but perhaps it wasn't. There was still a lot she didn't know about him in general. It seemed best to leave it be for a time. Perhaps he was planning on trying to go on the investigation alone. Noelle threw a mini tantrum at the thought and stomped her foot before throwing her phone at a sofa cushion. After taking a deep breath and regaining her composure, she picked up the phone again and sent a message out to her field agent to find out what was happening in the area before deciding what to do next.

The field agent sent a message back. "We didn't get anything. So far the only activity was a little guy that went into the hotel for about 5 minutes and he came back out shortly after. Nothing since then. No emergency signals. Anything further you want me to do?"

Noelle blinked a few times. 'A little guy' seemed a strange observation. There were several smaller races, could they possibly be working with the suspect Chippequoti? "No, just keep me updated on any talk on the streets. The usual." She put her phone and pad into her small side bag and left her home.

The agent listened to the report and he was glad he recorded it because he wanted to listen again. After a moment he sent a copy of it to Noelle. "Hey, about 11:00 am this morning one of the hotel staff called the police. They said a room was locked...uh...room 318 and they couldn't see very well, but they think the guy in there is dead. Housekeeping said they knocked, tried to talk to the guy and he didn't even do so much as move. Isn't that the room you put that Chip in?"

Seemed her agent had something else to add not too long after their last communication. Seemed he wanted her to listen to something. Noelle put her earpiece in to listen to the recording. There was police called to the hotel due to the room not receiving an answer. All of that sounded odd. Especially considering the hotel could open the door on their own. "Let me call you back." She said to her agent and hung up. Noelle pushed a few buttons tapped directly into the Chippequoti's pad speakers. "Stetzon Silver-Bear! This is Noelle, pick up immediately or I will be forced to contact the proper authorities for insubordination."

Another round of ringing went through on Stetzon's pad and he let it go. If it was important the caller would leave a message. He didn't want to move and he wanted everyone to leave him alone. He could hear the hotel staff coming to the door again and someone pushed it open. This time he grumbled from his bed without even moving. "Go away." Why were they all upset that he locked the door and wanted to be left alone? About that time Noelle's voice came over his pad and he sighed, but didn't respond. He could care less what she did.

Noelle sighed and thought a few moments. Then she spoke through his phone again, even if he didn't want to respond, she knew he could hear her. "They have called the local authorities. I want to emphasize that isn't normal to do for a hotel. Someone else might be involved." She hoped that would at least get through to him. If it didn't, there wasn't going to be much she could do for him.

If people were getting crazy enough to call the local authorities Stetzon figured it was time to move. He knew it would complicate things in part, but in another way it made things a lot more simple. After the people moved away from his door again he stuffed all his things back into his pack and moved over to the window. Third story wasn't such a bad drop. Opening the window wide he slipped out out and hung onto the ledge with his fingers just to be sure he was at least a few feet closer to the ground before he let go. Stetzon dropped and hit the ground in a crouch. Standing back up he kept right on walking toward the side of town that Noelle took him to the first day. It was about time he did something.

By now Stetzon was more than ready to meet with Artemis and he didn't particularly care if there were people that wanted him to bring the guy in. Sometimes things got complicated and this was one of those times. Stetzon wandered through the streets and this time nobody seemed to be watching him. It was quiet and he knew it was because Artemis expected him. They would get to talk this time and it would be decided when and if this was worth pursuing. When he got to the main street he took his pad out of his pocket and set it on a table.

A little woman came by and took the pad off the table. She was probably set to lock it up somewhere secure. They didn't need to have anyone listening in on what was going to be said. After Stetzon walked a little further down the street he stepped into an apartment building and walked up to the second floor. The whole way there were little instructions written in his language. Just tiny marks here and there telling him where to turn.

Finally he reached the top floor and the third door on the left. A man of about 6 feet tall was sitting in a recliner. He had blonde hair and blue eyes, he even had a little stubble. He looked exactly like a human, but Stetzon knew who it was. Sitting down on the couch across from him he met the man's gaze. "Artemis."

Setting the paper aside that he'd been reading the man looked to Stetzon and nodded. "Well, good to see you to. Guessing you got the message then. I don't think you would have come here for any other reason." Artemis watched the man's face change from a scowl to a much deeper frown and he nodded. "Now the question remains, what are you going to do about it? I know it's a lot to deal with. I've been there myself. Go ahead and pick up your pad. When you've decided what it is that you want to do, go ahead and send a message. I'll give you a number. Mind, it isn't my direct number, but it'll get the message across. No need to send a message if you don't want to join up. I'll understand if I don't get a message."

The one thing about Artemis that Stetzon understood was the fact that he really meant what he said. If he said silence meant a no, then that was exactly what he wanted as an answer and it was better to do it that way. Without saying a word more Stetzon stood up and he glanced at Artemis for a long moment before walking out and taking himself back toward the little outdoor cafe. Just as he'd been told his pad was waiting for him and he picked it up. There was a small note just under the cover with a number on it. That was his contact if he decided to join up.

"Hey, Noelle." Her agent called again. "We've had sightings of Stetzon back in the old part of town again and there wasn't any problem this time. He walked through a few streets. Set his pad down on a table somewhere, walked into a building and a few minutes later came out and got his pad again. We've got something going on."

Noelle paused and waited for a response. There wasn't one. As much as she didn't want to use it, she looked at the map to see if he was moving. He was. Nodding she turned off the mapping and called the hotel. They recognized the name she put the room under. "Nothing to worry about. Hes not in the room. Sorry for all the confusion, I didn't see that you had tried to call me." Of course they hadn't tried to call her, but their whole procedure on the situation had been mishandled and they knew it. "Go ahead and use your master key to get inside. You'll see hes not there..."

After several more minutes of settling things with the hotel, she was able to get off the phone again. "The hotel is taken care of." Noelle messaged her field agent and started walking in town. Every so often she would take a look at where Stetzon was. He was journeying into the more dangerous part of town. Eventually she had to just stop looking and take a seat on a bench outside of an ice cream shop. Some time passed and a message was coming through on her phone. It took her several moments before looking at it. She wasn't sure she even wanted to read it.

Her field agent was giving the latest update on Stetzon. Noelle sighed as her eyes gazed over the message several times. Her thumbs shook slightly before starting to type the message. With a few words in, she erased it. Then she started typing again. "Stop following the case. I'll be taking it from here. Please tend to just your normal duties. Repeat, you and your contacts are to no longer be involved." Almost as soon as it was sent, Noelle received a phone call. "Are you sure?" She closed her eyes a moment, "Yes I'm sure. Follow my directive or I'll be forced to take disciplinary action... I need you to trust me on this. It really is in your best interest." The phone went silent for several moment, "Yes, Ma'am. I'll call off the scouts." Noelle ended the call and sighed as she sat back.

Noelle just sat on the bench for some time thinking. She eventually looked at her phone to track where Stetzon had gone. Getting up from the bench, she started walking in the general direction. Eventually they would run into each other unless he gave his pad to someone else to throw off her trail. For some reason she doubted he would do that. When they did cross paths, at first Noelle didn't say anything and just walked along with him. "I called off my field agent and any scouts we have in the area." She finally said, keeping her gaze straight ahead. "What you did today was completely out of line and in the future, there will be consequences." Noelle said simply and stopped at a corner where they could go separate ways. "I'm trusting you, temporarily." She finally glanced over at him. His size and demeanor didn't intimidate her in the least. However, she also wouldn't hesitate to react if she found that her trust had been misplaced.

Stetzon was on his way back toward a better part of town and contemplating getting somewhere else to stay. He had a few things he'd have to do first. As he was coming down 21st street he came to meet Noelle. He should have figured that she would have been semi close. She kept on walking and walking next to him and he almost felt like yelling, but he managed to stay quiet long enough for her to say something.

Surprisingly she hadn't turned him in yet and Stetzon grit his teeth. This was one of those situations where he wasn't sure if he wanted to say anything, but he knew he should. It was only fair if she knew what was going to happen. He might have to run like hell after he told her, but at least she could choose to distance herself if that was what she needed to to do. "You want to know what happened? I'll tell you, but we'll have to do it the same as last time. I know it isn't normal to do this, but I knew this call was different when it came in." Even if he knew it was going to be different he never expected to find what he did. "Noelle, this is your chance to get to clear, or do something, but it's up to you and I thought it would only be fair for you to know."

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you that I'm in this until the end. Regardless of the circumstances." Noelle was tired of the constant repeating herself. "So just get on with whatever you need to say.'

Stetzon smirked. "Not sure you will be. At least not in the way you think. I know who our man is and it might change a few things." Handing her a note he had a location and time and specified again that there wouldn't be anyone to follow and nothing to trace. "It's important that you do it this way."

Rolling her eyes she took the note and walked off muttering to herself.

Keeping it all to himself was hard. He had to carry the pad around and it had to move so many hours each day, or he'd be sent a warning the required some sort of explanation. They had only so many hours for sleep and then a monitor that constantly tracked activity levels. He hadn't moved nearly enough today and he had a warning on his pad. Stetzon was going to have to try and explain that, but he couldn't think of anything at the moment. His movements hadn't been enough to be considered to be making progress. There were a lot of things he didn't feel like doing after getting the news. It was late, but he knew now and there wasn't any point in going home.

While he was in the hotel room he started to write up a final report. Stetzon was more than ready to defect, but he wasn't even sure how he could make that happen. It wasn't like he'd ever tried this before. Defecting without getting killed, or hunted also meant that he would need help. Relying on Artemis alone meant that he would end up being hunted and they would just keep sending agents till they got him and Artemis. Otherwise, he could maybe get some help and his best shot at that was to get Noelle.

An involuntary sort of grimace came to Stetzon's face. He couldn't quite imagine Noelle volunteering to help him with his history. It was only fair to give her another chance and maybe two if he was going to move forward with his plan. She'd have to know a few things up front if she planned on sticking with him on this. They were the sort of things that broke trust if they weren't revealed before starting on something dangerous. Getting into this and then having it revealed would be far worse than possibly getting turned in at this moment. At least he'd have a chance to do something crazy. Even if she seemed to be ok with it there was still a lot of trust he'd have to give her. Somehow he'd just have to trust that she meant what she said, whatever it would be.

This time Stetzon arrived early by almost half an hour. He felt nervous and for good reason. There wasn't any room for a mistake and he was sure that he was about to make one, but he couldn't keep going the direction he was. Not after he knew. When Noelle showed up he cringed. It would have been easier if she hadn't, but he still had the note and the contents of it with him. She'd see it if she chose to hear more. "I'm defecting. Not staying with the force. Something changed my mind. I've tried to get past the fact that we lost the war and I did my best to serve the new government, but I can't do it. There's a new group that's still building. They're not imperialists. It's complicated. I have a few answers for you of how this works, but that all depends on how you think you're going to react to this."

Noelle wasn't as concerned about being on time this meet. In fact she may have been a minute late. She just stood there and let him say what he wanted. Sounded like he was going rogue. Noelle closed her eyes, half from irritation and half in thought. There was protocol for all this.. After a few moments her eyes opened again. "I suggest you get on with what you're going to tell me."

"Artemis isn't quite what you thought. Yes, we were both imperialists, but..anyway. We tried to live under the new government and it hasn't worked out and we just want peace. Civil war was bad enough no need to take it further. There are still some that Artemis learned about. They're picking up others in scattered territories and they're actually making a move for vulnerable planets. A few made their way here, like Artemis to escape the war when it was still going. The weapons are to help protect Earth from an invasion. Something like that would make it impossible for those of us with families left to ever see them again. I've known Artemis for over 100 years and he doesn't lie." Stetzon looked at her for a long moment. "I have to go rogue to keep the weapons here and to keep them in your office where they're protected, but accessible if an invasion starts. I'll need some sort of recruitment from your office and I'll work under supervision, but I won't go back to Quoti."

"It won't be an issue to keep the weapons locked away in the office. However, there won't be any recruitment possibilities." Noelle said simply and shrugged slightly. "The only ones I would trust close enough to this I took off the case for their own safety. If we ask my superiors... Well they would give us Chris and report back to your office." She looked directly at him, "And I'm assuming you don't want them to know you're defecting just yet."

He'd been told defecting was tough and he was sure it would be. "Well, I guess you do what you have to. Won't matter if they know that I defected, or not. Not anymore." Handing her the envelope he took a deep breath. "There's a hologram recording of when they killed my family. They forgave anyone with a skill. They promised that in time I'd get to go home again after I'd proved my loyalty. Got out of prison and trial and worked for them for 5 years and all of it was for nothing. Do what you want, but I already know what I'm doing."

Stetzon didn't seem to understand the gravity of what a report like that would mean. His government was part of the Council; they would quite literally be against the universe. Noelle held the package in her hand as he explained what was in it. When he finished she handed it back to him. "I don't need to see your family being killed." Both of her hands went into her jacket's pockets. "And again, I told you I was with you on this. Future reference, I don't like repeating myself." She said with a sigh and frown, "Now what?"

Taking the envelope back from Noelle he stuffed it into his jacket pocket. "You're with me and you don't even know me." Rolling his eyes he almost wanted to laugh. It was ironic. He just finished telling her that he was reformed imperialist, a convict and now a defector. "I guess we keep on going. I'll get rid of contact with Quoti and disappear."

"You know even less about me." Noelle pointed out and gave a small grin. Though his next steps were rather abrupt. "Are you sure?" Noelle said with a frown. "Hear me out." She stopped him before he could go back to repeating himself. "They are going to ask questions. And believe it or not, it's not actually that easy to just 'disappear' on Earth." Noelle sighed, "Plus there is this whole investigation thing..." She crinkled her nose slightly for a moment. "We need to plan a raid on Artemis and whoever else is working with him. We'll kill you and then have reason to confiscate the weapons to keep them in the office." Obviously there would be a lot more to it than how simple that sounded. "I can make up paperwork and protocols so your government can't access the weapons or your 'body'."

Stetzon's eyebrows went up slightly when she mentioned making the raid and he started to shift on his feet. That sounded a bit uncomfortable. "Make a raid and then kill me." He knew she meant it as a sort of cover, but he figured she would need to know a little more about Chippequoti. "Not so many ways to kill us. Maybe an explosion, but I think that would be a bit much considering there would have to be a report of one, and maybe some armor piercing rounds, but those make a mess hard to duplicate, or a fall that's high enough up to break a lot of bones."

Noelle looked him over before resting her gaze on his face again. "We don't know much about how the Chippequoti body works. I'm sure you noticed as much when you visited the med station." She studied him a moment, "I'm not sure if your pulse or other vital signs work the same as a human's... But since there is little known information we have a lot of room to work with. Plus technology." Noelle nodded slightly, "And the raid itself will be easy to explain. We usually take out what we need, plant some drug paraphernalia, and have an 'expert' go in to explain the debris. Or whatever the case may be."

Considering the fact that she was likely going to have to show some kind of evidence Stetzon almost felt sick. Doing this wasn't going to be easy. "Well, dere es one thing that would convince them that I'm dead. Break one of my arms. You'd need more than just a finger, or my hand. Then inject a poison and harvest some infected bone tissue. Let it grow in a petri dish for a few days and tell them that I broke a few bones, got bone infections and died. You didn't know what to do. They'd believe that without a body. Only problem is that I'll need medicine and I might die if you don't get the infection in the bone under control."

Noelle blinked a few times. "Uhmm.. Well... Those are nitty gritty details we can iron out further along. I'm sure you have other people to fill in. This way we can get as much equipment confiscated as you are wanting."

"Necessary details. I don't like breaking bones. There is nothing worse than that. I'd kinda like to know your staff might not accidentally give me bone rot they can't stop.." Stetzon was a little concerned about that. Bone rot was a nasty way to go and he could think of other deaths that were far better. "Artemis is just waiting for my word. I'll send a response and it'll all start tomorrow. I'll keep my pad only as long as I'm 'alive'."

"We can't put a raid together by tomorrow." Noelle said simply.

Stetzon blinked a few times. "Not a raid, the process. Why would you think I would think that could happen so suddenly? I'll just start the process of finding information that leads us to our man. I will keep the pad and make reports to Quoti as usual. I'll have to explain my absence today. Could say I ate corn. Haven't reported that yet."

Since they were done for the time he walked with her toward her home again, until he was dismissed and then he took himself back to the hotel. If it were possible to feel more lonely than he'd felt even in prison then he'd found a new low. This wasn't a great time be mourning his family, so it would have to be short lived. When he got to the hotel Stetzon grabbed the wash bucket and he took himself into the wash room to get cleaned up. Then he'd have to write his report and claim that he'd eaten a meal with corn in it. He could legitimately say that he'd recently discovered there were several products that appeared to safe and contained corn.

The next morning Stetzon woke up tired, wore out, and lacking creativity, but he knew that the first order of business was to let Artemis know that he was in. Typing in the number on his pad he sent a single rune. It stood for the snake. The snake in Quoti legend stood for new beginnings and this was certainly a shot at that. Pulling his clothes on Stetzon took himself down the stairs and waited for Noelle to arrive at the hotel. They were going to continue this investigation the same as usual and if this was going to work it had to look convincing. In the meantime he could make a report to her that he'd found a contact in the bad part of town that was willing to get them to the leader.

Her superiors needed something too and they would want a reason for her to call off the extra agents. Once he was in the car he sighed. "Thanks for calling off your other agents. My contact prefers to be a little more private. Looks like we'll be getting a few more leads if he doesn't decide to chicken out." Noelle would know that this was the cover story they had to run when they had their electronics with them. "What kind of incentives do you offer here if he keeps on talking?"

It seemed the Chippequoti was determined to cause bodily harm to himself that could potentially kill him. Noelle had several family members who had been in the service do similar things in effort to make a situation 'believable'. Unfortunately it rarely worked. Instead she decided to just drop that part of the conversation and they could come back to it when that part of planning came up. That night at home and into the next morning, Noelle had to consider her own options. Would this raid they were going to plan be real or staged? Where would that put her afterward? She knew there would be questions from her superiors afterward that she wouldn't be able to answer.

Since she couldn't sleep, she started working on a report. If she didn't make it read like a big deal to take her agent completely off the case, there wouldn't be a lot of questions. It wasn't that uncommon to reassign agents and scouts to other things that needed tending to. Plus Noelle added that they were close to the planning stage of a raid to get the rest of the weapons and other equipment these rogue visitors had on them. Though she needed an explanation for how Stetzon was acting yesterday and why the police were called. Short of saying that the hotel acted irresponsibly, she noted that Stetzon had discovered some allergies and not everything on Earth was agreeing with him.

By the time sunlight was beginning to appear in the sky, Noelle had finished her update report and even gotten a few hours of sleep. She took a quick shower and dressed in something appropriate for being out on the streets again. Then she headed off for Stetzon's hotel. Luckily it wasn't a too long of wait once she pulled up for him to get in. Seems he wanted things to be complicated and introduced that they now had their own contact. Noelle just slowly nodded. Now that was going to have to be explained in her report too.

"The usual." She said with a slight shrug as she pulled away from the hotel. "Immunity from any charges we may find. Depending on the sensitivity of the information, we can also arrange for a new identity and relocation." Noelle drove toward the usual part of town that they typically parked. Once they got there however, something seemed off. When she turned off the car, Noelle waited for several moments and motioned for Stetzon to stay put. The lot was empty except for them, which was very unusual. "Something isn't right." She finally said and turned the key to start up the vehicle again.

Her watch started beeping with messages from her field agent and she pushed a button on it to have the text read out loud. "There has been a lot of movement toward the part of town you've been working. Registered visitors are staying quiet, but there are a lot of unauthorized visitors who have been arriving all night. We can see that they are registered to other territories, but have not been given permission to travel outside those areas." There was a beep indicating it was the end of message. As Noelle started driving out of the lot again, she pushed a button to narrate a new message to her agent. "What races are coming into the area?" It was quiet for almost a minute until a new message arrived. The list included primarily races that had a history of violence. Though of course if the individual had been authorized to live on Earth, they didn't necessarily have a record.

It wasn't clear if this was connected to the investigation or not. Either way it wasn't good. Even if there were several planets and races aligned through the Council, it didn't mean they all got along. To have such a gathering in one area was mysterious for sure. "This could be a coincidence... Or word has gotten more open about the possible weapons that are in the area." Noelle said to Stetzon.

Stetzon nodded while she answered his question about what they did with cooperative contacts. That would be all that Artemis wanted anyway. Someone had to get a good deal out of this and Stetzon wanted to disappear too. He was done playing these sick games. The two of them were headed toward the part of town with the weapons where they could scout out some stuff and begin setting their case. Stetzon looked out the window and at first everything seemed fine and then he did a double take. He was sure he'd just seen that woman divide herself. If she did that meant trouble and a lot of it.

He started to unbuckle and begin to dig into his pack. There was no way he was going to be trapped in this tiny box of a car when there was one of those out there. Looking behind himself he didn't see the woman anymore and he took a deep breath. The reports she was getting didn't happen to be so important at this moment. He'd heard a few words and he already knew what that meant and he'd already seen evidence of some of that. Pithian, Tannas, Chippequoti and Volux were all a bad mix. Most of them were violent and particularly they were violent against one another. By themselves the Pithian and Volux were manageable, but the problem was that neither of them ever went by themselves anywhere and the Tannas were just deadly.

Maybe she didn't know as much about these types, but he did and they could only be converging for one reason. Chippequoti to answer the call for help from Artemis, or to stop him, and the rest to kill the Chippequoti. Stetzon met her gaze only for a moment and then he saw the woman again and a few more walking the street. "Do you have a ventilation of some kind in this jeep?" Seemed there was and he closed his eyes for a few moments. This was not a good place for Noelle to be. He could probably survive a Tannas attack, but she couldn't. He breathed in deeply a few times and he didn't get that sweet smell that sometimes followed the Tannas when they were moving a bit more fluidly.

As they turned the corner he saw a person standing in the middle of the street. They wanted to get hit and he knew why. "Noelle, we have to get out of the car now!" There was trouble waiting for them no matter which way they went, but the wide open air was a better chance for Noelle. Tannas had a tendency to rather stay more solid when they were in the open air. "If you hit that thing it'll go into gas form and it'll get in your car and you'll suffocate. I swear the Tannas can do stuff they never told the council."

When Stetzon asked for ventilation, she opened his window a crack and turned on the A/C. The people on the street obviously weren't human and were doing things that certainly weren't authorized. Noelle certainly wasn't driving fast, so when Stetzon started screaming to stop it seemed a bit extreme. "Will you shut up! I'm not going to hit anyone." She yelled back and stopped the car before turning it off and getting her weapon out. If unauthorized movement was happening, it didn't matter who she was at this point. Noelle took the weapon from her glove box before getting out of her vehicle. The being down the road from them was a Tannas. Only way she knew was from the metal necklace. They all had something like that. She once asked one of them what it was. They claimed it was just an identification tool since they were endangered, helped them identify each other more easily when living on other planets. Of course Noelle had thought it strange at the time. When she had asked to see it, the Tannas had actually acted in a strange matter about the request before refusing to remove it.

Noelle wasn't going toward the Tannas and was just heading toward the sidewalk. It appeared the Tannas was more interested in Stetzon anyway. "You need to go your own way." She called to the Chippequoti. It would be better to not travel together. Especially with how he tended to react to things. If one of the races didn't end up killing him, she would. Noelle quietly went into one of the shops. If there were owners inside, they were not seen. It was like the shop had opened and then been abandoned. While walking straight into the backroom to find another exit, she began thinking of the other races.

It was strange that Pithian would even come to the area. Sometimes during the autumn and winter seasons they would receive authorization to come visit from Canada, but not during the summer. There actually were several Volux that did live in her territory, though they had the tendency to not live in the cities. One thing that was certain: The races did not play well with others. Being part of the Council certainly did not mean 'peace'. For some of the races it just meant an easier way to track their enemies.

Her week just kept getting worse. Before she stepped out of the back way she was receiving a phone call from her boss. Most likely he had heard about the sudden convergence of the races. Seemed it was safe enough to take the phone call. "Noelle, I've heard about the movement into the area. I'm going to assign-" Noelle actually interrupted him this time. "Are you insane? Its clearly part of the investigation we're doing. A war is about to break out in the city." The line was quiet for a moment. "I'm just trying to figure out why all of a sudden they decided to come right now." Even if he wasn't speaking, she could hear his breathing and knew he was still there. "You read my report?" Noelle suddenly asked and her chief responded. "Yes. You said you were going to start a raid to get the weapons and such." Noelle nodded slowly, "Did you report this to the Council?" It wasn't exactly a large enough case to bring to the Council until it was resolved. They had requested help from the Chippequoti as their suspect and the weaponry was of their kind. Seemed her boss was trying to think of an answer.

"You told the Council what we may have found and now they have sent word to their people. Are you that dumb? Or is there actually something in this for you?" Noelle closed her eyes tightly and rubbed her head. "Don't answer that." She said before he could respond. "You know who I am and what I can do. You'll be arrested and tried for treason." Noelle hung up and sent a quick message before finally going out the back door into another street.

Even if Noelle seemed to be angry, she stopped and that was good enough. Stetzon immediately pushed the door open on the car and he threw his legs out the side of the vehicle and grabbed a gun from his pack. For a brief moment he thought about leaving his bag and then decided that he needed it. Noelle wanted to split and he saw why. Most of the trouble looked like it would follow him. If he could get somewhere high enough the Volux wouldn't want to come after him and the Pithians would thin in number because they would be slower getting to him. They would all know that and it would deter them from trying. However, it wouldn't stop them from setting up sharp shooters if they had to with bullet piercing rounds and that would be a problem.

Going to Artemis wasn't a brilliant move and so his best was to keep moving till he was out of the subsection of city they lived in. His best option was to run and get out as fast as he could. At first he stuck to the sidewalks and then he noticed that there were a few Volux running through the alley ways. They were going to cut him off if they could. If he got bit that was one thing, but getting caught would be a problem. Pithians had a special hatred for the Chippequoti and it was shared by the Volux. Granted, the feelings were mutual, but it made for a concerning situation.

Swerving away from the side of the street and running in the middle like an idiot seemed like the best course of action for the time being. At least there weren't too many cars around. Stetzon could hear a car horn honk at him and he started jogging toward the side of the street again. Then a lighting fast little Pithian bolted out of nowhere and shot off a stun gun tazer. The tazer hit Stetzon in the back of his leg and he skipped a few steps and reached behind to pull it out. Briefly his hand started to spasm, but he'd rather that then his leg. Tearing the tazer out he waited for the electric jolt to stop and then he dropped it and kept on running.

By the time he reached the hotel room he decided to see how bad the taze spot looked. Stetzon had to pull his pants down and twist a bit to get a look at the back of his leg in the mirror. It looked worse than it felt. More than likely later on it would smart. He wasn't going to have any way to contact her after he destroyed his pad, so he decided to send her a message real fast. "Meet me for dinner?" When he got the reply he read the message and packed his pad into his pocket. He would need to start walking now if he was going to make it on time. When he was almost there he pulled his pad out of his pocket and dropped it on the ground and then stepped on it. That finished it off and he picked the chunks of it up off the ground, tossed them into the garbage and then walked nonchalantly the rest of the way to the restaurant.

Later that evening Stetzon met up with Noelle. He didn't have his pad with this time. Just himself, though there were no instructions for her to leave anything she had behind. She was staring daggers at him and he wasn't sure why. As far as he was concerned he'd just saved her life because she was going to keep right on with her merry little drive. Taking a seat at the table in the restaurant he rubbed the back of his shoulder as best he could against the back of the booth. It was scabbing up and getting itchy. "Well, I can tell you a little more about some of the people we saw today. Or eh....Maybe you'd like to start with why you look so mad."

Stetzon had asked for them to meet for dinner and Noelle set the time and place. She was at least more familiar with places that wouldn't have food that was designed to kill him. Almost as soon as Noelle took a seat the Chippequoti was presuming what her mood was. Though she had never been known to hide her displeasure toward others. "Sure." She was about to begin when a waiter came by offering drinks. "Just water please. Can you just bring a pitcher to leave on the table?" After they were settled with their drinks, she began again. "You treat me like I know nothing of what goes on in the world.. or outside of it. That maybe I've just been living in a little box until you came along to open my eyes to what is actually happening." Her hands waved slightly like it was a magic show. "Earlier... I was ready to shoot you myself." Noelle admitted and sat back in her seat, not realizing she had started leaning against the table as she spoke.

It seemed that asking her was both the right and wrong thing to do. The woman started to lean forward and she had a bit of an undertone to her voice. Before she got too far the waiter interrupted them and she asked for water. Stetzon would have ordered tea, but she sound like that was it. Not like she was the one paying for all this. He was going to pay for it.Then he got to hear the rest of what she thought as she leaned closer and closer. Stetzon didn't shy away as she leaned closer, instead he held still and listened to her. "Oh...Well sorry." Shrugging a little watched as she leaned back in her seat again. "Then let's make sure we both know the same things. You tell me what you know and I'll tell you what I know if there is anything different and then I'll give you the bad news." There was plenty of that today.

Her eyes wandered up to the ceiling as he spoke. With a sigh, she took a drink of her water. "I have news as well." Noelle muttered. "I know they don't typically get along with each other. Even those that they do, its very loose ties." The water glass was leaving a ring on the table, so she took her napkin to wipe it and put under the glass. Finally just folding her hands in her lap. "The Tannas... I've met several. They have this metal piece. Said it was for identifying each other, but got really sensitive about taking it off. So I doubt its for that, at least not solely for that." Noelle took another drink, "Volux... They seem a bit more like hunters, tend to be larger than humans. Don't really like anyone and tend to stick together in packs. I've mostly seen them settle in the wilderness." She thought another moment, "Then the Pithians.. Also stick together, I normally don't see them in the city this time of year. They've always seemed to like the colder areas. Seem rather sneaky too... Crime rate goes up during the times they come into the area." Noelle shrugged slightly. She didn't know how much detail he wanted.

"Ok." Stetzon nodded. Part of him wondered if she knew more and if she'd get mad at him for repeating information she already knew, but he was going to tell her the parts that filled in the blanks. "The Pithians are mostly just about like you described. The dirty little snitches get into everything. Volux are strong and that's troublesome, but the worst part is their bite. Eyeteeth have venom and it makes all kinds of nasty symptoms for the Chippequoti. Usually we don't die from it, but we get fevers, hallucinations and seizures. Mostly the Tannas are the ones you need to worry about." Taking a drink of his water he noticed the water ring under his glass too and wiped the table off and then his glass on the napkin. It was best to follow her example so he fit in with the customs. "Tannas are a gas form being. They can split a few times and I sort of panicked about the girl. She'd split 3 times and I saw one of the splits. Maybe there were others too, but that jewelry is just to make sure they have something to help them maintain form and it can work as temporary pull if they choose to go to gas state. When they go into the gas state open air dissipates them. Any enclosed space, like your car is deadly. More for you than me. I'm quarter Tannas and that's why my eyes are green. No full blooded Chip will have green eyes."

Seemed an odd combination if the Tannas and Chippequoti historically got along so poorly. However, Noelle wasn't going to ask. Stranger things have happened for sure. She nodded just before the waiter came back to take their orders. Noelle ordered a pasta and salad. After the waiter left them again, she began to fill him in on her own news. "I'm not sure we can trust the office to store the weaponry we find." She said quietly. "I have reason to believe that the chief told the Council about our plans, which of course interested these races to come so suddenly. I'm not sure what exactly he was planning to get out of it... But I need to be cautious about who I trust within the offices." Noelle got quiet for a moment, "I will be starting to work with others from outside the area to ensure our safety. However... They don't know what branch I work for."

Stetzon thought his news was bad and hers seemed worse. "Ugh...I destroyed my pad. Might need your help with something later on too. Found out the Chippequoti Elders heard about the weapons and some problems here. When they found out about some problems they decided to send back up. Usually that means they think their agent is in trouble, or they plan on dragging him home." A grin came to his face and he shook his head. "They can't hear me without the pad, but they'll keep right on tracking my motions till I remove the implant."

She nodded and played with her glass for a few moments before refilling it again. There was still a lot he didn't know about her and it seemed okay to leave it that way for now. The Chippequoti didn't seem concerned and that was actually a first. "Where is your implant?" Noelle asked.

"Yah, I got the implant tacked to one of the bones in my back." He couldn't reach it, but he was sure it wouldn't be too hard to get to. "Probably just a little slice in the skin and uh..." He couldn't think of the name in her language so he made a pinching sort of motion with his fingers. "Some of those things to help pull it off." Things had gotten really bad as far as he could tell and there wasn't any point worrying about it now. What happened happened and from here on out it would be about survival. "This might get bad."

"Pretty sure its already bad." Their food arrived and she thanked the waiter. Stetzon talked about cutting into his back like it was no big deal. "I'll see about getting in contact with someone able to do something like that." Noelle said. "We also need to rethink the raid. We may end up in a war before we know it."

The food smelled good and it was the best thing so far in the day. Looking at the big bowl of soup with lots of meat and cream in it he grinned and then started to tear the roll on the platter with his bowl of soup into bits. He loved to take the first few bites of his bread soaked in the broth and the rest would be the clean the bowl out at the end of the meal. "It'll get worse." That was one thing he was confident about and now that he knew they both understood what the races could do he felt more comfortable. "I don't think we'll worry about the raid. Just make a deal with Artemis. He'll make a deal because he's gonna need another Chip and somebody that knows what to do on a battlefield."

"What kind of deal?" Noelle asked while poking her fork into the noodles before eating them. Alternating every few bites with her salad.

Stetzon was sure this is where she would not like his thoughts. "Probably need to give him some sort of security that you would find a safe place for him to go after all this. Let him move there with a new identity."

An eyebrow raised and she even laughed a little, until she realized he was serious. "He has been the suspect since the beginning. They are going to want his arrest, probably deportation, not help him hide." Noelle said and wiped her mouth with one of the extra napkins. "Plus there is no telling when 'all this' will actually be concluded." She noted with a sigh. After a little more thought, her head moved back and forth slightly. "If we're going to do that, we won't be able to use the offices, but there are other ways."

Why she would laugh about that sort of thing Stetzon didn't know. It was ridiculous that she would think he wasn't telling her the truth. He hadn't lied to her yet. Stetzon hadn't tried telling her any jokes either. In fact he wasn't sure if he knew any joke that she would like. Instead of taking offense he decided to stare at her long and hard. If he held her gaze long enough she'd understand that it wasn't funny. That worked and she finally went on with something more serious. Stetzon listened to her talk and he continued eating while she did. He was entirely aware that a problem like this didn't usually have a clear time frame. However, she was the one talking about this and she seemed to enjoy thinking she was the one in charge. Probably had something to do with her position here at this office.

With a knowing sort of nod he simply agreed with her again as she mentioned there being other ways. He had somewhat hoped she would move that direction, but it was better for her to make up her own mind. There were a few things he learned about working with people that considered themselves your superior. You could always tell them the issue and word it in ways and create expectations that sort of guided the superior in a direction that would be helpful, but no idea was a good idea unless the superior thought about it first.

The waiter appeared again when they were done with their dishes and he offered a desert and before Noelle could speak up Stetzon nearly jumped in his seat to beat her to the punch. "Yes, we want dessert." He caught Noelle's look and he shrugged. "Didn't want you to answer for me again. Besides, Elders and Quoti government are paying. Might as well enjoy every last bit of it before they find out what's going on and cut my credits off." He had no idea where he'd live after that happened, or what he'd eat, but he was pretty sure he could figure it out.

Stetzon got up the next morning when he woke up and he sat down stairs in the hotel lobby until he saw Noelle come again. He had thought that she would arrange for the implant to have been removed after dinner, but even while they were deciding on where they would sit down for a brain storming she didn't say anything. They had eventually ended up at some little cafe because he didn't want to find a permanent spot until the implant was removed. "Well?"

Even when he looked at her intently she didn't seem to know what he was trying to say. "Did you find someone to take it out? We can't really find anything more secure, or permanent till its out. If your boss talked I'm sure the back up is actually here to get me. Not really going to be helpful." That also meant he had only a few days. "Not trying to be pushy, but it is kinda important and I'll bet my back hurts for a couple days." His back hurt when they put it in and he didn't expect any less with it coming out. "I thought you knew it would be one of those more urgent things." It made sense to be an urgent thing and he sipped at the coffee that he ordered. It was such a nice relaxing drink. About half way through their meeting he started to yawn. "Mmmm this stuff is good for a night drink. I'm ready to go back to bed."

Almost as soon as she had taken a seat, Stetzon was making noises that apparently she was supposed to understand. "What?" Noelle asked. She wasn't exactly a morning person and they had started particularly early that day. From the intense look he gave, he seemed to think she could read minds. Noelle just stared back at him waiting for a real sentence. Finally her tea arrived and she was able to take a few sips. Seemed 'later on' for his implant meant, 'ASAP'. Noelle blinked a few times. "Well you should've said you wanted it done sooner. 'Later on' could mean anything." She explained and took another sip before realizing that meant she had to do something. Mornings were terrible.

"Just give me one minute." She said quietly as she messaged someone. "I would trust this person with my life... They will probably be involved with helping for any relocation too." Noelle nodded and set down her phone. It was her personal phone. Any work related devices had been left in the car. She just shrugged when he mentioned that she should've been able to read his mind and know it was urgent. "Well typically when someone thinks something is urgent they say... This is urgent." The lady chuckled a little and shook her head slightly. Seemed his coffee was making him tired however. That made her frown slightly.

Noelle was about to say something when a new message arrived. "Great. So they can see you immediately." Nodding, she started to get up from the table. "We should probably do it at the hotel so you can check out afterward." She waited for him to get up and start walking out with her. "Do you have somewhere to go?" Seemed that was still rather up in the air. "You could come stay with me." Noelle suggested as they reached the jeep. "I'm going to have to drop you off while I go pick up the other person. Can you give me your extra room key so we can come in through one of the side doors?"

Stetzon stopped drinking his coffee for a moment when she told him that people typically said very bluntly when something was urgent. Somehow he thought that she had followed his train of thought, but she hadn't. Instead she laughed and started to get someone lined up. Sometimes a superior forgot those important details and it was always important to remind them. Satisfied that she was working on it, Stetzon resumed sipping at his coffee and he leaned back on the chair just slightly. Even with his tiny bit of weight pressed to the back of the chair it started to creak loudly and he leaned forward once more.

People on earth liked delicate little chairs and beds. Almost everything they had was small. When he finished with his coffee he let the woman keep on sipping on her tea. For just a moment he felt envious of that tea. He normally would have ordered tea, but he got mixed up when the lady started naming stuff from the menu and said yes to the wrong thing. Then they said his name wrong too. For the time he was absorbed in his thoughts and then Noelle started talking again.

"Oh, dat's eh...good news." Stetzon still had no idea where he would be staying after this, but at least he would be a little bit safer. Sooner was better than later. Picking up the tiny paper cup he took it to the garbage on his way out the door with Noelle. She was already making plans and he was going to be out of the hotel only a few hours from now and no implant. They were almost to the car and Noelle turned to ask him if he had anywhere to go. "I will find someplace." He had no idea where he would go, but he'd certainly been in worse positions before. Surprisingly she offered for him to stay with her and Stetzon nodded dumbly before it occurred to him that it could be important to say something. "Uh, yes. I would stay with you." Sounded better than trying to figure out where to go.

With that settled she was asking him about the extra room key and Stetzon reached into his back pocket and pulled his mostly flat wallet out and gave her the extra key before he got into the jeep. The drive to the hotel was short and when he arrived Stetzon got out and took himself up to his room. It was nice and hot in the room. A pleasant 95 and the bed was made. His wash bucket had already been rinsed out and it was set neatly back on its place near the hot water machine. Stetzon picked through his bag to triple check and be sure that when it was time to leave that was the only thing he would be needing to remember. Walking through the bathroom he made sure the towels were all folded neatly and he found one little bottle of oil that he forgot in the wash tub. Taking the bottle out of the bathroom he packed it carefully into his bag and then sat on his bed to wait for the other two to arrive.

One of her cousins was a surgeon and had worked for the secret service. A lot of the work she had done was in the field too. Though since this was more planned, she was actually able to bring some proper equipment. Noelle had told her where to meet near their family town in Missouri. Some things were going to have to be divulged at this time. Especially since Noelle was planning on using some Inter-Galactic technology to get there and back so quickly. Teleportation had been available on Earth for decades, but it always had to be carefully used to avoid being seen. She didn't want Stetzon going through with his implant and the Chippequoti finding out where her family was.

When Noelle just appeared in the field, she was pretty sure her cousin was going to pass out. She ran up to her to make sure she didn't. "Hey... Yeah, I'm here." She gave an uncomfortable smile while her cousin blinked several times. "How?" Crystal asked and kept looking around for some sort of something to explain it. "So you know I work for the secret service... I work in the branch that deals with Inter-Galactic life. Mostly helping them adjust to being on Earth and whatnot." Crystal's brown eyes widened so much that Noelle thought they were going to pop out of her head. "So.. Aliens?" Noelle really didn't like that word, "More or less." Crystal had to blink several times as she processed the information. "I guess I'm not that surprised we have made contact with.. Aliens." It got quiet a few moments, but Noelle really needed them to get moving.

"So I need you to remove an implant from a Chippequoti.. Hes not of Earth." She added before continuing, "Its in his back, possibly his spine. I didn't get a lot of details." Crystal seemed a bit stunned, "So you want me to just cut into some guy's back and pull out an implant? What if their anatomy is different?" Noelle shrugged, "He doesn't look that different from a human. Should be pretty much the same thing." Crystal sighed. "Yknow, Grandma would be much better for this. I think shes lost count how many times shes had to do stuff with Donovan's back." Noelle laughed, "Yeah well... She also doesn't go anywhere without Donovan and hes crazy. Can you imagine how he'd react to extraterrestrial life?" Crystal started to grin at the thought as Noelle grabbed her hand and they seemed to disappear and reappear in her apartment.

Crystal seemed a bit unsteady at first, "That's normal the first few times. I'll drive you there and that'll give you time to get your composure together." Noelle rushed her out the door and it wasn't too long before they arrived to the hotel and entered through one of the side doors and went up a couple flights of stairs. She lightly knocked on the door before using the card to get in. For a moment, she thought it was the wrong room from how tidy it was. "Stetzon Silver-Bear?" Noelle called and then she finally saw the Chippequoti. After she shut the door, she began feeling how hot it was in the room. "So this is Crystal." She motioned to the blonde next to her. Her cousin was a bit older than her and had blue eyes. Right now they were about the size of half dollars as she looked at Stetzon. Noelle elbowed her in the side to get her to snap out of it. "So just tell her where your implant is so she knows where to start..."

For a brief couple of minutes Stetzon started to wonder if the woman was going to come back with the doctor, or not. He had to keep reminding himself that she was only using a small little Jeep/land driver to get places. It would take a while. Finally, he heard a knock at the door and Stetzon stood up. Carefully he stepped to be out of sight just to be sure it wasn't anyone unexpected and then he heard the voice. Taking a seat on the bed he waited until it sounded like Noelle was in the room with whoever it was that she had brought to help work on his back.

"Yes." Stetzon stood up from the bed and he bowed slightly. He forgot that human's shook hands and then he reluctantly held a hand out to Noelle's doctor friend. Instinctively he wanted to bow again because he was greeting someone, but he managed to only nod his head. Once she released his hand he pulled his shirt up and off. Like most Chippequoti his bones were heavy and his muscles were well toned from the effort of movement and because he actually had to stay in shape for his job. "It's uh...somewhere in my back. If you just feel on the spine there will be hard lump that sticks out and that is where the implant is. I think when they put it in they used small spike to make it stick in my bone."

Both woman took a step back as Stetzon took his shirt off. Crystal seemed to go into doctor mode as soon as he turned around to start telling her where the implant was. "I'm going to put both my hands on you." It was just a habit to tell a patient what she was doing so they wouldn't have a strange reaction to her touch. She started near the center of his back and felt along his spine with her thumbs until she felt an unnatural lump. "Okay, I think I found it." Crystal felt around his spine a little more just to be sure. "Yes, that has to be it." She nodded, "Is there anything about.. uhm.. Your anatomy that I need to know?"

The doctor's fingers were cold at first and Stetzon could feel the goosebumps start to raise on his shoulders and down his arms. An involuntary shiver ran all along his spine too until she found the spot. It was near his lower back where the vertebrae were bigger and it was easier to tack an implant on it without breaking the bone. "Anatomy?" He didn't know this word and he waited for her to explain it before he nodded. "Oh, uh....My bones are very heavy and they have more hardness and thickness than human bones. Also, my bones are where my body makes defense against disease....Uh..." Stetzon had to think about how to describe all this with the vocabulary he had in their language. "Uhm...Chippequoti heal fast, but the bones are tender? If a bone is broke it is very hurt and uh...I don't know." He couldn't quite get it out, but hopefully it was enough for her to know what she needed to. "You want me to lay down on floor, or bed?"

Seemed there was a slight language barrier. "Uhm.. Anatomy is the structure of your body. Like how it works." Crystal nodded, satisfied with that answer. His bones didn't sound overly complicated and seemed like something she could deal with. "The floor would probably be better, its a much more stable surface." She added as she started to dig through her medical bag to get the things out that she would need. "I'm just going to wash my hands while you get ready..." Crystal turned to her cousin, "Why is it so damn hot in here? I can't stop sweating."

Stetzon frowned a little when the woman told him to get ready. He had his shirt off, he was ready. Laying down on the floor he let out a long breath and then closed his eyes. It would hurt if she didn't have anything to dull the pain. Then he heard the odd question. "It is not hot in here. This is very nice."

As Crystal went to wash her hands and grab an extra towel, Noelle went to take a look at the thermostat. "95 degrees... No wonder you're sweating." Some cursing could be heard from the bathroom, "Reminds me of the tours I did through Africa." After a few minutes, Crystal came back out and got a needle ready with anesthetic. "You're going to feel a poke near your spine. Its just to dull the pain. 1, 2, 3, poke." She injected the fluid and rubbed the spot a moment while getting the scalpel prepared. Crystal rubbed the spot with the implant with her fingers firmly, "Are you still feeling that pretty well like before?"

While the females were busy complaining about the heat Stetzon was trying to focus on breathing and just staying relaxed. He was nervous about having someone try to remove the implant. No one had died from a removal that he knew of, but he'd heard that if you weren't careful it could hurt very badly. While he was taking a deep breath he heard the one woman come over next to him and kneel down before she poked him in the back with a little anesthetic. "No, I don't feel it much." He could tell within a few seconds that it wasn't going to be enough. "Ow...Ugh...I forgot to tell you. Medicine wears off fast for Chippequoti. We eat medicine fast in our bodies and foods." He didn't know how else to describe a fast metabolism in this language.

Crystal thought it was good enough and barely touched his skin with the scalpel when he mentioned the pain. Apparently medication didn't last long. "Oh." Was all she could say and took the small blade away. "Uhmm." The blonde started looking through her bag. "Giving you more won't necessarily make it stronger or last longer. I don't really have a better dosage." Crystal was a bit stumped and looked Noelle. "We both know who would." Noelle shook her head. Crystal shrugged, "Our other option is to have you continually inject him while I cut and pull it out." After a few more moments of thought, Noelle sighed. "Well you're the one that will have to go home with them. I'll just bring them straight here."

Instead of getting on with the procedure Stetzon felt the woman stop and then she said she didn't have anything better. "What? What kind of doctor are you?" He had never met a doctor that didn't carry more than that with them. "Maybe I have in my back pack eh? We have small kit in case we break our bones. Just give me more shots and I'll take something from my kit." Using a kit for something like this was ridiculous and he knew he'd be high as a kite if he did. However, the women were talking about someone else and Stetzon started to try and push up on his elbows. "Who?"

Both women looked at the Chippequoti. "Our great-grandma did a lot of this stuff. Her husband also has a history of back problems and she had to often do something on the fly to get him through it until they could get to a real hospital for surgeries." Crystal gave a short explanation, "She always keeps strong stuff in the house in case he gets a flare up, even if he's confined to a wheelchair now." The blonde looked at the Chippequoti. "Though if you think you have something that would work better, we can do that. I didn't realize I would be operating on a.. uh.. non-human."

"Uh...My stuff will work. It is better not to have more people huh?" Stetzon couldn't have anyone else for the time. He was sure it was too dangerous. Beckoning toward his bag he waited for Noelle to open it up. "Small black box and inside you'll find little things like candies. I just put on under my tongue and in short time I won't feel much." Taking one of the candies she handed to him Stetzon unwrapped it and put it under his tongue. Gradually he started to hum and he spoke in a blur of non-nonsensical Quoti before he started to drift out of consciousness. Nearly 20 minutes later the initial release of pain killer from the lozenge under his tongue had wore off and he woke up with a frown and grumbled in Quoti before he started to try and get up.

Noelle breathed a sigh of relief, she wouldn't have to bring in her great-grandparents. They were a fussy couple. She took out the black box and gave one of the candy-like things to Stetzon. It was only a few seconds before Crystal could see that he had virtually no feeling in his back. She carefully did some cuts before seeing the implant and pulling it out. The implant was much larger than she had been expecting. After setting it aside, she patched him back together. Seemed she had finished just in time for him to begin stirring. "Not so fast." Crystal put some pressure on his shoulders. "Take it slow.. Please?"

"Mmmm..." Stetzon turned his head to see Noelle and he gave her a big grin and started to chuckle before he felt the hand on his shoulder. It was definitely not from the woman next to him. Turning his head the other direction his eyes got wide and he instantly stopped chuckling. Instead he lazily turned his head one way to look at Crystal and then Noelle. How did he end up here? After a few moments he placed his heads on either side of himself on the floor and made a motion like he was going to push up. He was so busy looking at Crystal for approval that he lost coordination and pushed himself onto one side instead. "Ooh no." Mumbling to himself he started to awkwardly try to get himself sitting up. After he was sitting he looked around the room and he sighed. He didn't feel like going to get his shirt. Instead he looked at the women and grinned sheepishly. "What happened?"

Both were just observing him as he squirmed around on the ground and made some noise. "We removed your implant." Noelle said. "I put stitches in your back. You need to be careful how you move. I don't want them tearing under the bandage." Crystal added.

Stetzon reached behind himself and tried to feel where the bandage was that they were talking about. His fingers brushed along the edge of the dressing and he let out a long sigh. "You better remember to tell Salma.' Neither of them seemed to know who he was talking about and he slowly got to his feet. Walking over to the bed he winced a little as he tried to pull the shirt on over his head. With two sloppy attempts he finally got it on and he walked over to where his pack was on the floor. Picking it up he grumbled in Quoti to himself and then grew quiet. He had fully intended on reminding them that when he was injured in the line of duty that his agreed was supposed to be notified of the injury and severity of it. That was in his charts and even if he was still under parole she was supposed to know. If it was bad enough they might even let her visit.

Despite his hope that it was bad he remembered that she was gone and instead he waited completely silent while Noelle and the other woman prepared to leave. He didn't remember that he was supposed to leave with them until he heard Noelle tell him he was supposed to come with. Somberly he followed her out of the hotel and got into the familiar Jeep. He felt so depressed.

After a while they reached her house and Stetzon slowly got himself out of the Jeep and wandered inside with her. Wherever it was that she pointed for him to go he went without question. Quietly he laid down on his side on the floor and rubbed one of his fingers along in the carpet. He made little trails that were almost invisible on the carpet, but it rubbed the tip of his finger nearly raw. Eventually he started to get tired again and he tried to sleep, but it was too cold. This place was kept almost as cold as the prison cells had been. Guards were allowed jackets, but the inmates had to wear pants and not shirts. Most of them huddled on their bunks till it was outdoor time and he wondered briefly if she had a place to go outside at her house. None of the thoughts stayed long. The only one that kept coming back was Salma.

Stetzon waited till he felt too cold to stand being in the house any longer before he got up and started to wander around looking for the doorway. "I just go outside for a little bit eh?"

Neither of the women knew who Salma was. Noelle just looked slightly confused, but Crystal seemed to pick up on what he was talking about. "We will make sure Salma is notified." She said quietly, though it didn't seem the alien was listening anymore. Crystal started washing up and packing up her things while Noelle made sure nothing was left behind. However the room still looked like no one had even stayed in it. Stetzon was being strangely quiet, but she hadn't really been around him enough to know if it was strange or not. Maybe it was the medication he had put himself on or that there was a stranger in the room. "Its time to go." She said when Crystal appeared ready to leave and had her things packed.

The drive home was still quiet. When they reached her house, the trio went inside. "There is an extra room at the end of the hall. The bathroom is next to it." Noelle pointed and the Chippequoti seemed on auto-pilot as he wandered down the hall. After he disappeared into the room, Noelle turned to her cousin. "Its time to get you home and make you swear not to tell anyone." Crystal held up her hand as if she were giving an oath. "No problems there. Not like anyone would believe me.. Besides Donovan." She laughed. "Let me know if you need anything else." Noelle pressed the teleport to take them back to Frankton. After a hug, she took herself back home.

It wasn't too long before Stetzon came wandering out of the room. Seemed he wanted to go outside and she just frowned. "Well.. wait." She managed to get him to stop heading for the door. "Is the room okay? Was there anything else you needed?" Noelle was trying to recall anything that might be a comfort to him. Though some of the conversation about the heat was coming back to her now. "Is it cold to you?" She finally asked before he escaped completely. After Stetzon went outside Noelle went digging through her own bathroom for a small space heater. While he was still out she went into the spare bedroom and closed up the vents before setting the heater on one of the tables. She wasn't sure if he had seen or used a device like it before, but it looked rather self explanatory. If nothing else, she could show him when he came back from whatever he was doing outside.

Back in the living area, she turned the television on and started warming up the oven to begin cooking something. "No corn, no corn, no corn." Noelle whispered to herself as she read the ingredients on several things to make sure it wouldn't accidentally poison her guest.

The Chip had spent a while in the room staring at the carpet. Working off his sentence was fine and he would have kept on working for them if they hadn't killed Salma and his sons. It was the only reason that he'd pushed so hard to become their best agent. They were healthy, and seemed happy enough three years ago when he'd broken one of his bones and got an infection. Stetzon tried to remember what they talked about, but he'd been on too many medications. All he could remember was that the boys were too young to know that it was serious and they played with their toy ships. Salma looked worried and she'd whispered to him and gently kissed him several times. That was the last that he could remember and it made sense, but at the same time he started to wonder if it did. He was in a hospital with medicine to keep the infection under control and he was on the mend, even if it got ugly for a few days. She wasn't the kind to be worried without good reason. For some time he'd just thought that it was a nice memory, now with the knowledge of what happened her and the boys it tainted his memory of them and instead he felt a desperation to know what she'd said to him. It couldn't have been sweet nothings. What if she knew she was in danger and she was trying to tell him, hoping he'd remember?

Agonizing questions turned over and over in his head and the cold of the room almost made it unbearable. Finally, he couldn't take it any longer and he wanted to get up and go outside. Noelle stopped him just short of the door. A deep line formed on his forehead and his brows pulled together in a frown until she explained herself a little more. She was quite hospitable and his frown started to wear thinner until it cleared. It just wouldn't be right to scorn her hospitality in any manner. Quietly he shook his head. "The room is very good, I don't need anything."

Stepping to the side and simply walking around her wasn't a good choice and she was still standing in front of him staring at him. Stetzon found it uncomfortable to say the least. His brain was roaring with guilt, and grief and having to keep manners at a time like this was difficult. Finally she asked if the room was cold and he nodded before he caught himself. That seemed to be sufficient enough that she kept on going and he was free to step outside.

Stetzon came to the door and he grabbed the handle. It was strange and unmoving. He was hesitant to add pressure because he'd found all the doors here were manual. This one had two sides and they were glass. Did he pull, or push? After a few more moments of observation he saw the odd little track and determined it must slide. Even then it only budged before it got stuck and he clenched his jaw. This door was so frustrating. "How do you make it go?" After a few moments he saw her hand slip under his and push a little tab up. Nodding he gave a pull and the door practically flew open. It was too easy to move. "Oh..." A hint of red trailed from Stetzon's cheeks to his ears. He could have studied earth for a few days, but it was no preparation for these silly sort of things.

Now that the outdoors were in reach he quickly helped himself outside and closed the door again. She had a large portion of green grass and he grinned. She must have been terribly rich to keep so much water. Squatting near the edge of grass he reached out and gingerly plucked a single strand. Was it nice, sweet grass like he had at home that he could buy in the stores, or harvest at one of the oasis?

The Chip studied the single blade of grass for a moment and then he decided to taste it. Unfortunately the grass blade he chose didn't taste that great. Just to be sure he wasn't mistaken in the quality of the grass he plucked several other little blades from other sections along the edge of the small patio. Not a single blade tasted decent. Standing up he looked at the house to be sure she wasn't watching and then he stepped out into the yard to sample some of the other grass. As he worked his way through the yard he sampled every kind of plant he saw. Surely there was something that tasted good, or was edible if she owned this much green land. To his disappointment there wasn't a whole lot in the yard for variety and even less that tasted good.

Stetzon had found one flower that was particularly bitter and he was having a hard time getting the taste out of his mouth. It was a pretty bright gold flower and it had a thick and juicy stem with a white milk in it. That white milk and the entire flower were nasty. Even the leaf from it was terrible. After a few minutes he got to the edge of the fence and he peered over the edge. The grass on the other side looked a little richer, perhaps it was better, but it obviously belonged to someone else and they let their children trample it! What a waste....unless of course it was just as bad as this grass, but it didn't look like it was as bad.

Meeeeow. The sound behind him was so strange and foreign that for a moment Stetzon froze. He didn't recognize this at all and he slowly turned around to see a sleek and well kept looking feline. That was perfect. A small feline that he could easily capture and they could eat it. Stetzon moved slowly and the cat didn't seem to even care. When he reached out to touch it the creature jumped up slightly to rub its head into the palm of his hand. It was delightfully easy to capture. Surely these things had be nearly extinct if they were such easy meat. Still, he wouldn't mind trying it out to see if it tasted as good as it looked and felt. He held it in his arms and the feline purred as he stroked along its back and felt it for tone and muscle. It wouldn't have a whole lot, but it would be a fine lean piece of meat for dinner.

Finally, there was something else to focus on and he went to the back door. Knocking on it carefully he waited for Noelle to come over and open it. "I caught a feline. Shall I break its neck and skin it? Feels like it will make good food." Giving the cat another gentle stroke along its back the creature purred even louder. Getting a bit closer to her he nodded for Noelle to try feeling the animal. "Yeah?"

There was a quiet knock on the back door. Noelle had a slight frown as she approached. The Chippequoti had one of the neighborhood cats in his arms. As she slid open the door, the cat seemed to stretch and purr more, the paws were beginning to knead Stetzon's arm. Her green eyes briefly widened as Stetzon asked about skinning it to eat. Noelle took the cat from his arms when he came closer for her to pet it. "So this is Molly and she belongs to a family." The cat had gone limp in her hands as Noelle picked it up from Stetzon's arms. "Some of the smaller felines and canines are domesticated and are considered pets to families." Noelle explained while scratching behind Molly's ears. "We don't eat them, they are meant for... Companionship."

After a few moments she put the cat back on the ground and it looked between Noelle and Stetzon before sauntering off. "I already started making something to eat though. I made sure nothing has corn in it." She noted and moved aside so he could come inside and she closed the door. "I also put a heater in your room.. In case you get cold." Noelle picked up the TV remote to turn it on before taking a seat on the sofa to lie down. It would still be a bit before needing to do much more for dinner.

Stetzon let her take the cat from him and he watched as it comfortably sprawled in her arms. Molly...they even named their little chunks of food. What people were thinking letting these creatures stay companions he didn't know. One of these days he was going to have to find where they sold fresh meat. Maybe they would have a market like back home. Animals in pens so you could inspect them to be sure that they were good stock before you bought them and took them home to fatten as much as you liked. Perhaps if it was a high dollar animal it would already be fattened so you could take it home and slaughter it right away for dinner.

It was almost impossible not to be a little disappointed as he watched her let the cat go and the feline stuck her tail up at him. For a moment he could have sworn that the creature knew his intentions all this time and now it was simply taunting him. Noelle interrupted his thoughts with the mention of the heater and Stetzon nodded. He was already getting tired again and his back was aching a good bit. Wandering into the back bedroom he hooked up the little heater to the outlet in the wall and turned the dial to make it as hot as it could get. Within a few seconds it started to make the floor near him nice and hot. Taking the first blanket Stetzon wrapped it around his shoulders and then grabbed the second. There were barely enough blankets to make this room comfortable. It would be much more reasonable to keep a house warm and buy less blankets. By the time he was comfortable he was wrapped in 5 blankets and he rolled himself in the comforter from the bed.

After about 10 minutes Stetzon got a little closer to the heater and a little closer. He could feel the heat even through the blankets and he finally gave a little groan of satisfaction. A home wasn't comfortable till it was hot enough to sweat without effort. Despite the occasional twinge of pain in his back he managed to fall asleep. Sweat started to appear in little droplets along his upper lip and it made all his hair start to form in black ringlets on his head.

There was a wonderful smell in the house and Stetzon started to roll a bit closer till he bumped the heater with his cheek and nearly his ear. It was plenty hot and he jumped like a caterpillar, scrunching his legs underneath himself and pushing away. His arms were currently trapped in the multiple layers of blankets and he took a few moments to get himself untangled. When he was at last free of the blankets Stetzon settled with the giant comforter as his chosen blanket to wander in the house with and for dinner. Soup sounded good when it was so cold and he was feeling somewhat hopeful that was what was for dinner. When he emerged from the room Stetzon glanced around the house. He was a bit more aware this time since his medicine had wore off and he frowned a little. Shuffling toward the kitchen he poked his head around the corner just to see if Noelle was in there.

One of the nice things about making a roast was that it took a while. Left time to relax and nap on the sofa with the TV playing in the background. It seemed her guest was content in his room, or at least he wasn't wandering aimlessly about. A timer went off and Noelle got off the sofa to check on the meat. Various vegetables were already chopped up and ready to be added. She basted some of the broth over the top of the meat and added the cut potatoes, carrots, and celery to the pot. Then she got out a couple plates and silverware. Though now Noelle was wondering what Stetzon would want to drink. So far she'd only really seen him drink water and coffee. The soda didn't really count since he had such a negative reaction to it. Maybe tea would be okay? Noelle shrugged and just put on a pot of water for tea. She had a few other options if that didn't suit him.

While the dinner finished cooking, she went into her own room to put on something more comfortable. Noelle pulled out a set of pajamas from her dresser. The pants were a light blue with cartoon looking bunnies on them, it had a matching light blue tee with a single bunny on the front. The material was thin to keep her cool in the heat, but still warm enough during the evening. By the time she left her room, it looked like the Chippequoti had decided to leave the sanctuary of his room. It was slightly amusing to him walking with a blanket. "Dinner is almost ready. Its just a roast with some vegetables." Noelle nodded before going to the oven to check on the cooking.

"Anything in particular you want to drink?" She looked over at Stetzon. "Water, tea, coffee, milk... uhmm.. Anything?" Noelle shrugged and waited for a response. Her gaze turned into a frown however when she saw something on his face. "Is.. Is that a burn?" She was tempted to get closer to inspect, but didn't want to invade his personal space. "Let me know if you need anything for it."

Back