Inviting Constructive Criticism of My Art

aronhiet

Writer of Wrongs, Righter of Wrongs
Firstly, don’t worry about being brutally honest as I have very thick skin. Secondly, I would rather an honest, “This is horrendous.” Than a false, Ï love it!”.

I am not at all trained in drawing or sketching or painting at all. I do believe I have some natural talen for drawing or sketching, though.

Thoughts? Opinions? Impressions? Criticism? Sage Wisdom? I welcome all of it!

I think the one thing that strikes me the most is that the lighting on the face feels really harsh. Not being much of a pen and pencil artist myself I don't know how to correct it or how to articulate an approach to adjust your method, but that's one thing that I noticed.

I think the one thing that strikes me the most is that the lighting on the face feels really harsh. Not being much of a pen and pencil artist myself I don't know how to correct it or how to articulate an approach to adjust your method, but that's one thing that I noticed.
I don't think that's exactly it, I feel like maybe it's because the lighting is not balanced? if you're gonna push the shadows, push the highlights too. plus, i feel like on the last one there are a lot of places you could've made darker too, to balance it and maybe bring the focus away from the neck. Besides from that, the proportions are a bit off on some. some are great with the proportions, especially the last one, but there are just little things that need to be tweaked like the fact that on the fourth one the person has basically no forehead. It looks like you're working from references (good thing) but make sure to follow the proportions, since that's what i find references are the best for.

Thanks so much for your input! It’s nice to get feedback and get to peek at my own work as if from the eyes of others. I personally like harsh contrast but I will be mindfully about keep a balance and blending my shades more evenly throughout.

I don't think that's exactly it, I feel like maybe it's because the lighting is not balanced? if you're gonna push the shadows, push the highlights too. plus, i feel like on the last one there are a lot of places you could've made darker too, to balance it and maybe bring the focus away from the neck. Besides from that, the proportions are a bit off on some. some are great with the proportions, especially the last one, but there are just little things that need to be tweaked like the fact that on the fourth one the person has basically no forehead. It looks like you're working from references (good thing) but make sure to follow the proportions, since that's what i find references are the best for.
Thank you for your in-depth response, I really appreciate your thorough analysis! A big part of these sketches for me was texture and shading. Proportions for me are a challenge! I’ll keep working on it. Also, I’m not sure how you push highlights... I’ve never had the opportunity to take a sketching class or any art class besides a semester of Art Appreciation back in high school. (That doesn’t really count, does it? Haha.) Do you think you could elaborate on how to add highlights? Does it involve using different shades of colors?

Thank you for your in-depth response, I really appreciate your thorough analysis! A big part of these sketches for me was texture and shading. Proportions for me are a challenge! I’ll keep working on it. Also, I’m not sure how you push highlights... I’ve never had the opportunity to take a sketching class or any art class besides a semester of Art Appreciation back in high school. (That doesn’t really count, does it? Haha.) Do you think you could elaborate on how to add highlights? Does it involve using different shades of colors?
One thing you could do is shade the whole thing a small amount, and use an eraser to lighten the parts which are highlighted (if you don't have one, i recommend to get a kneadable eraser! they're pretty cheap and you can find them at pretty much any art store. makes things a lot easier) . You could also find a white colored pencil and use that (for this one i would recommend using paper that's not already white) And don't worry too much about proportions, I found that the one thing that you can do about that is just practice.

Okay cool! I think I’ll try both techniques! I have some erasers some where. I’ll have to go get some white pencils, and maybe I’ll excitement with color sketching, too!
I think if I spent some time with some 3D shapes and practiced shading, I could get a better grasp on light and shadow.
Thanks again for your wisdoms! You’re so knowledgeable. Are you an artist as well? I’d love to see some of your work, too. :)

Yeah, I am, though I don't really specialize in realism so I don't know if it'd help you any. I'm still an amateur, I'm just pretty passionate about learning about it. You definitely have a lot of potential and I'd love to see how you grow and change as an artist.

Yeah, I am, though I don't really specialize in realism so I don't know if it'd help you any. I'm still an amateur, I'm just pretty passionate about learning about it. You definitely have a lot of potential and I'd love to see how you grow and change as an artist.
Oh I’d love to see your stuff anyways. Thanks, that really means a lot to me! I’ll be sure to most more stuff whenever I get back into the mood to do a lot of sketching.

I think it's a bold and wonderful art style. It has a bold and clean line style that I feel would translate very well into wall art. If I saw quality art like this as a mural somewhere, I definitely would be taking a picture with my phone and telling people they should go check it out.

I disagree with the proportions. Yes, they are off. But I feel this is aiming for a more caricature aesthetic. The only critique that I will argue is somewhat objective and not pedantic/subjective is the lack of proper use of lighting. To be more specific, the shadows are off. So the last piece you uploaded is a prime example. The darker shading (Which I assume is shadows) doesn't reflect any possible lighting source in conjunction with the jowl structure presented. This is present throughout such as in the first photo. It comes across as you wildly add your marking without a clear reason. This when juxtaposed with the more caricature design creates an uncanny valley effect.

Back