Is it strange that I become friends with people that I roleplay with?

I am no expert on this topic but I do not imagine it is all that strange to make friends through an activity that forces you to communicate with others, even if primarily through personas, on a relatively regular basis.

Absolutely not weird! I've meet many of my friends through roleplaying. It's nice meeting people that have similar tastes and interests, y'know? : )

I met my old best friend through roleplaying, and bonded with my current best friend through it. I've made a lot of friends by roleplaying, so no, it's pretty natural tbh.

Not roleplaying but I physically met my internet pals after knowing each other for like four years.

But yeah, this applies to my internet friends in general. Sometimes I miss them when they're gone for ridiculously long, and then be elated when they return.

I've formed a number of long lasting relationships with people I have been rping with for a longer period of time.

Not at all, been best friends with players from a forum way back when. We even attended eachothers weddings. Great people are great people regardless how you meet. :)

It's always good to be cautious when meeting people online. That being said, I met one of my best friends 13 years ago on Neopets. We've been role playing ever since, and our current role play has been ongoing for about 10 years. :3 We've met in person three times, despite living on literal opposite ends of the country, and she was recently in my wedding!

It was a bit weird to explain to people, but honestly, I never worried that she wasn't who she said she was. This whole internet communication thing can be done safely, thanks to forums like this. It's awesome to find someone whose interests align with mine uncannily and who has a shared passion for role play.

Friends can come from all walks of life. The internet has a lot of cesspools but since it's creation, it's allowed people who live halfway across the world from each other get in touch quicker than ever and bond over the same things. So, no I wouldn't say it's strange.

I've made many friends through rping so in my honest opinion it's not strange at all. Rping in general connects so many people across the world so bonds are bound to form.

Crimson, my dude...

cYjCnHO.gif

Glad to be your friend.

It's perfectly natural to become friends with people who you spend a considerable amount of time with, especially if you spend your time indulging in a shared hobby.

I think the real concern though, like anywhere else, is being careful about who you decide to become friends with. After all, you never know who might end up stabbing you in the back if you're not mindful.

I don't know. Is friendship better or worse being "strange"?
Strange? You mean Stranger?
If you mean stranger, then yes, it would be occasionally. There are, of course, times when it is actually worse. Like if the ''friend'' is actually someone catfishing or reverse catfishing.

I don't think so. I was in a role play by e-mail community years ago and even after we disbanded, many of us remained friends through FB. We even had a pair of players meet in rl and marry. Since then I've been in groups that are more anonymous (no real names and such) but I always appreciate the first group I was in where people really got to know each other, bond, help each other out when they were down, etc. I guess so long as you are safe about it (like in all things on the internet), there's nothing weird about it.

It's always good to be cautious when meeting people online. That being said, I met one of my best friends 13 years ago on Neopets. We've been role playing ever since, and our current role play has been ongoing for about 10 years. :3 We've met in person three times, despite living on literal opposite ends of the country, and she was recently in my wedding!

It was a bit weird to explain to people, but honestly, I never worried that she wasn't who she said she was. This whole internet communication thing can be done safely, thanks to forums like this. It's awesome to find someone whose interests align with mine uncannily and who has a shared passion for role play.

Oh hey. ;)

RL, net, its all the same to me, long as the ppl I meet are interesting.

Definitely not strange. :) I make friends in all sorts of ways. So does everyone else! I personally think finding friends through roleplay is more common now than ever before.

Back