Is it strange that I become friends with people that I roleplay with?

Hi! I don't think this is strange either - role-playing is actually how I met my best friend. She lives in America and I'm in Australia and we've been friends for over a year now (met in October 2016). The first thing I messaged her actually was if she wanted help setting up a Role-Play (she didn't really use BBcode to pretty things up and I offered to do it for her, since I was really getting into decorating posts and all). We still talk almost every day, and we still role-play. Sometimes it's new things, sometimes it's from our very first characters. I'm so thankful to have met her and it really is thanks to role-playing~​

I think its fine. I mean its just another way to make friends right? It also means that you met someone doing something that you like to do and that they probably have similar interest.

I only roleplayed once, with a friend of mine (internet friend).
We were not that close with each other, I felt he was a bit distant (or is it just me being overly clingy????),
Annywayyy..........
Since then he is more open with me and even messges me sometimes even though he never really did before
Also the rp felt kinda awkward and bad to me but he said he enjoyed it really much (it was an interaction between his human and my furry OC)
So yeah RP brings people closer to each other :3

Well its not weird at all. But actually I am quite surprised that people are finding friends through role-playing. I never get close to people that I'm writing with so I guess it's just me.

The sad part is that most of my partners eventually leave suddenly stop messaging me, completely ignoring me. Eventually it always happens. I guess I will never make friends in such way and have a lolong-term partner.

Two of my BFFs are people I met through role play. As a matter of fact both are here on this site and one of them introduced me to Storytelling. @Blitz and @Gola. I met Blitz first, my son was roughly 3 years old he's 18 now, Blitz introduced me to Gola and when my daughter was born Blitz and Gola were among the first outside of family that I called. Now we are really close and like long lost siblings. Love you @Blitz and @Gola!

Now strange at all! Oh, I'm probably one of the few, older RPers on this site who can truly say it's more like a blessing than strange. I've been RPing for about 15 years, ghostwriting longer than that - which lead me towards RPing for character building in the first place.

Within that time, I've become 'Play Mama' to many of my younger RP friends, and 'Big Sister' to those around my age. From out of that bit, I've personally met eight of them, flew overseas twice for two weddings, went to three graduations, and was a witness to one video birth of my new RP Godson - who's now a big brother to my new RP Goddaughter born last month.

I even traveled across the states to stay the weekend with one of my oldest RP buddies (now co-author of three books we've started through RPing). I stayed for an editing meeting with our new editor, went to Disney World, and stayed with them at the hospital when they had a really horrible reaction to a wasp sting.

They're my writing family now. I work for many of them as their ghostwriter on stories inspired by their RPs I've participated in. After so long, RP pals or pen pals, becomes life-long online best friends, to new family-friends, in some cases. When writers share so much of themselves within the characters they portray - or even share their RL personal problems or blessings, after a while you can tell who is truly an honest person. It takes a long while though when it starts online, but I would never change the fact that I've met some of the most amazing, awesome, people through sharing and growing together within a similar hobby. Always stay safe, but always be real.

Last edited:
Now strange at all! Oh, I'm probably one of the few, older RPers on this site who can truly say it's more like a blessing than strange. I've been RPing for about 15 years, ghostwriting longer than that - which lead me towards RPing for character building in the first place.

Within that time, I've become 'Play Mama' to many of my younger RP friends, and 'Big Sister' to those around my age. From out of that bit, I've personally met eight of them, flew overseas twice for two weddings, went to three graduations, and was a witness to one video birth of my new RP Godson - who's now a big brother to my new RP Goddaughter born last month.

I even traveled across the states to stay the weekend with one of my oldest RP buddies (now co-author of three books we've started through RPing). I stayed for an editing meeting with our new editor, went to Disney World, and stayed with them at the hospital when they had a really horrible reaction to a wasp sting.

They're my writing family now. I work for many of them as their ghostwriter on stories inspired by their RPs I've participated in. After so long, RP pal or pen pal, becomes an online best friend, to a new family-friend, in some cases. When writers share so much of themselves within the characters they portray - or even share their RL personal problems or blessings, after a while you can tell who is truly an honest person. It takes a long while though when it starts online, but I would never change the fact that I've met some of the most amazing, awesome, people through sharing and growing together within a similar hobby. Always stay safe, but always be real.

You sound like someone I would LOVE to write with. :D

No, it is absolutely not strange. At least, if you are strange then so am I and many others. The annoying part is that I feel those who don't have online friends think that they aren't real.

I don't think its strange since I also befriended people I rp with. You tend to become friends with people who have similar interests.

A group of us started a Naruto RP forum back in 2007 and until today all the owners and admin and main members have a Facebook messenger group until today.

Well I am not sure how close you can be with people in international sites because It is my first time in this kind of site. But in small rpg sites which belong to certain country's people it is totally possible. Mostly, everybody in the site knows each other with time. And I met some of them in real life. Moreover, we are studying in same university with some of them too. :D

However, in my native language, there is no rpg site is active anymore. Actually, It is why I started to write in English.

I've became friends with my rp partners in the past. I like making out of character conversations especially when I have funny stories to share.

I don't think that this is strange at all. When you write with the same people who have the same interest as yourself then it's almost inevitable that you guys will gush about it and slowly become friends. I have made friends outside of roleplaying myself and we've come up with some good stories and such.

Becoming friends with someone you're writing with honestly makes the story and world develop better. :) I, myself, adore out of character chatter with the people I write with whether it'd be a group or one on one.

This is what we call bonding, and no it's not strange. My entire RP Bunker server is filled with folks I've RP with before.

I have to say it happens regularly with me, well I would like to think it does I mainly only do 1-1 role-playing as more nearly always leave me wanting to post at completely the wrong time but I would consider getting friendly with both people and characters

Huh? In my opinion that is not a bit strange. Fliddi flapp! I do that too, a lot. I can't even count the number of friends I made through the rps.

The fact that you get to know them, is probably because they are a part of your routine at some point. There is always this feeling of excitement when your partners post their replies, or when you write your response. And I mean, imagine you'd hate your partners lmao. Absolute chaos-incoming. One does not roleplay with everyone, right? Everyone has their own style and sometimes it either matches with one of the other, or not. Which means that you have something in common and that's all it needs, right?

Pfft, to be honest, those friendships are always the best anyway- or at least that's my experience lmao

Back