Is it Worth a Soul?

Giga Bit

The Definition of Insanity
@Treasure

Amaimon smiled as he approached the door, masked by a human form. He knew what she wanted, he could give it to her, for a price. He knocked lightly three times and stepped back a little, clearing his throat. He smiled wider in fake happiness. "Anybody home?" He asks finally, hoping someone would answer.

Tinker paused in her sanding efforts and twisted to look down the unfinished stairs to the door. Well, more the wall as the stairs began to the right of the door. Great. Just as she was making some real headway on this wooden beauty! She huffed a strand of messy red hair out of her eyes and dropped the half-used bit of sandpaper on the step next to the dustpan and stood up, dusting off her jeans. She was far from ready to receive visitors in her grungy jeans and too-big sweatshirt she'd borrowed (stolen) from her brother and shoulder-length hair that looked liked like she'd used a dumpster to style it, but she thudded down the stairs to the narrow landing and opened the door. She peered up then up some more at the fancy man standing on her stoop.

"Are you a lawyer?" she asked rather than saying hello.

Amaimon chuckled. "No, I'm not a lawyer, but I did come to talk about something. May I come in?" He reads her thoughts and memories, shuffling through them like a deck of cards. He knew what she wanted.

"Hmmm, nope," Tinker said calmly, her eyes suspicious. Right now, all she was thinking about was the potential danger this fellow presented and how she really wanted to get back to work inside her messy house.

Amaimon's smile faded a little, damn it, he thought. "I have a proposal, would you like to hear me out? I might have something you want..."

Tinker smiled brightly at him. "You have a battery operated sander that doesn't weigh a ton? And you're carrying it under that stylish jacket? How fortuitous!"

Amaimon laughed again. "Maybe I do, if you're willing to make a deal." His smile widens a little bit.

Tinker rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I don't have the time or the money to waste on a sales guy. Try down the street. There's a couple far more gullible lasses there." She started to close the door.

Tinker glared at the hand. "Two minutes more and I call the police. You are making me very uncomfortable." One hand started searching for the hammer on the other side of the door out of the weirdo's line of sight.

Amaimon smiled. "No need for that. This will only take a minute." He holds his hand. "I'll go away if you give me your soul, deal?" He says in an almost humorous manner.

"Hardy har har, no deal," Tinker said dryly. "My soul may not be worth much, but seeing as it's mine, it's going to take a good bit more than that to get me to part with it. Now shoo!"

Amaimon disappears out of sight, closing the door in the process. Tinker hears a light thump upstairs.

Tinker muttered angrily and grabbed her hammer then stomped up the stairs to where she'd left her cell phone. She dialed 911 and stated her address before saying, "I have some weird intruder in my house. He thinks he's a funny magician!" She hung up then marched up the stairs. "Whoever is up there had better be gone by the time I get up there or else!"

Amaimon's smile grew. "That's not going to work. I'll be gone by the time anyone gets here! They'll think you're insane!" He laughs.

Tinker's eyes narrowed dangerously. "I called them for your safety. Get out of my house before I bash your chest in. I'd say head, but I can't reach. Until you fall over." She advanced, hammer held at the ready.

Amaimon's smile faded. "This isn't going to be fun.." He mutters to himself. He looks back up at her and summons a small flame in his hand. "It's a shame this beauty of a home has to go.." He smiles.

Tinker didn't pause. It was just an illusion, after all, or he was holding some kind of lighter. "Yeah, I'll get the insurance money to get a new one. What the hell do you want? Get OUT of my HOUSE you giant FREAK!"

Back