Is there 'anything' after death?

NujabesLives!

Music for the soul
Hi.

Been quite a while since I've logged in on the site, let alone posted on it. There's a reason for that by the by. I grew up as an adopted child and last october, my adoptive mother passed away. My adoptive and by all means my actual father passed away in 2012. Meaning that last year I've lost both of my parents at the age of twenty one. It was a very hard time for not just me, but my biological mother and uncle as well.

Things are going alright now, bills are being paid, stuff is being handled slowly little by little. But the source of this topic is something that's intrigued me since then.

Is there 'anything' after you die or is that simply it? The cessation of existence comes when you close your eyes for the last time. I've always tried to frame death as a 'sleep you don't wake up from' and it's given me some comfort. Because living a good life only to pass away and cease to exist is far too depressing to me to want to accept even if it's really the truth.

I'm interested to see if anybody on here has any other opinions. Thank you in advance for sharing them if you feel so inclined.

As an agnostic I firmly believe the answer to this question is unknowable. You can only hope that there is an afterlife, which personally I really hope there is one, because I feel life is too short.

Honestly, I don't think so. I feel like as a human species we're quite full of ourselves to think we're important enough to have an afterlife, when no other species alive has this feeling, or seemingly so. I feel like humanity in general has a lot of self-promotion and one of those is "afterlife". Myself, I think there is no afterlife, I don't believe in ghosts but I believe in souls being lost. I believe that if someone dies violently, their soul will be trapped as an entity in the world. This is kinda contradictory, but I just find it difficult to believe in the afterlife at all.

I think if there was an afterlife, we would know it. We'd have some information. I think when we die, it will be like before we were born. We didn't exist, our existence is brought into reality by a scientific equation of semen and your mothers egg. I feel like this is the start, and end of life. When you die, you're dead, there is nothing after that. If you plan to make a mark on the world make sure it's positive and that you're the best person you could be, because you won't get a second chance.

I feel like it's up to the individual's belief. Personally, I think there is an afterlife. Although that might be contradictory of me since I'm also an agnostic.

I firmly believe in the after life. Since humans, unlike animals or plant, have an immortal soul along with their mortal body, depending how you live your life and the amount you know of the truth is how God judges you. Of course, this is my, and I think, what most Catholics believe. Each person, due to their upbringing, and knowledge has a different opinion, but personally, I believe that their is in fact an afterlife, with different levels and different "places". Though of course, it isn't actually a place, I'm not quite sure "where" it is but that is another mysteries, that will either be answered or never addressed.

I think that there is an afterlife, but instead of a place to reward the innocent and punish the evil, they're allowed a middle, neither ground nor sky, where they get to be together, or not, freely. It doesn't matter what they did in their life. In their death, they get the same treatment. It's fair for everybody. The afterlife for bad people would be a second, third, whatever chance, while the afterlife for good people would be a chance to finally help someone terrible in life be great in death.

Last edited:
I think that there is no afterlife, that death is just neverending sleep but without dreams, nightmares, or anything. If there had to be an afterlife, I bet it would just be nothing except your own thoughts.

Back