Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Jincai

as written by Lobos

Imu looked to his corporal, nodding towards the bird. As Rim collected the animal, drawing a specimen bag to drop it within, Imu glanced to the Xupra, a blink on an icon of his helmet's HUD triggering the SD translation software. It would start building a Xupra packet as they talked, using smart software to help identify any lapses into their native tongue by context. Speaking slowly, he reached to his belt, pulling off what looked like a rebreather mask. He tapped a recessed button, then twisted the tamper lock to lock it in the setting of bronchial symptoms.

"Take this. Put it to your face. Breath." He mimed the action against his helmet. "I don't have the power to make that call. Though, we come with newer medicine. That contains some."

Rim, his task completed, turned to address the Volarians, after activating the translator, updated with Director Issane's new packet. Though in a somewhat mechanical tone, his armor's speakers translated his speech. "Attacks the lungs, and at a glance, I'd say crosses species fast. This isn't good."

Pausing, as Imu worked with Bo, he glanced to Kamil. "Where's the bodies of the deceased? Once Imu finishes with Bo, he'll start working with the cadavers to try and establish stages based on cell degradation. Once we have that, we can get a timeline going, prioritize treatment based on that."

---

Around the area, SD medical personnel were distributing the rebreather masks, replacing nanite cartridges after each huff. Within ten minutes, the first semi-doc was hooked together. Attempting to turn it on, however, a man cursed. "Get one of the skimmers closer to the hospital and get the power supply rigged."

As bronchial nanites went to work helping clear mucus, break down fluids in the lungs, and relieve swelling, first stage gene testing on a portable data-pad was undertaking, helping to ID what biological anti-biotics were safe for the Xupra to use.

as written by Cream

Bo watched the person that had a mask only for a bit before he was distracted by a woman he knew well. She grabbed his arm, tears streaming down her face. She was coughing and spluttering her words as she spoke it Xi.

"I don't want to die, Bo. Please don't let us die. We left so we didn't die. Please." She cried to the captain.

"I won't let you die, don't worry. Take this." He handed his mask over, placing it against her face instead of his own. He was willing to help others before himself. It was his duty. "Breathe." He told her, holding the mask and still speaking in Xi before looking at the person that had given him the mask. This time he spoke in English. "Help her."

There was another panicked person that he didn't understand. In the end he chose to let the others deal with them rather than dealing with them himself. One he didn't fully understand what they were saying, and he also had to put his people first.

as written by Tiko

The introduction of the translator was a welcome relief to Kamil who had been struggling to communicate with the aliens ever since their arrival.

"This way. There's been about seventy dead, but most of those died in the crash. They've been burying their dead out across the fields there. Once the illness presented though, we kept the new bodies for examination," Kamil explained.

He led Rim towards the small warehouse they had rigged into a makeshift morgue. It wasn't much, but it had a walk-in freezer from when the place used to serve as an old meat locker.

It was clear that the small village hadn't been remotely equipped to handle something like this, and they where making due with what they had.

A gust of frigid air hit them as Kamil jerked the door open to reveal a trio of deceased Xupra that had been lain out on the floor. The room wasn't near cold enough to have frozen them through, but it had certainly chilled the bodies enough to ward off decomposition until they could be retrieved.

"These are the only three that we have verified that died of the illness," Kamil told Rim.

"We have a dozen more showing symptoms so far, but half the village has been exposed so this may only be the beginning," he added grimly.

Meanwhile, Ambar hung back a bit as he fiddled with the mask he had been handed before finally placing it over his face and breathing as instructed.

as written by Lobos

Rim remaining behind with Bo and the others, Sergeant Imu followed Kamil. Listening to the man as he glanced at the corpses, the noncom shook his head.

"It isn't looking very good now, at least for those here. So long as we can contain it, though, it's a farcry away from a breached quarantine." Silently praising the Agency Director for her update to the software, Imu could at least hold an intelligent conversation. "That it shifts species, though..."

"That's not good. Thanks all the same, Kamil. I'd suggest you talk with Corporal Rim about getting checked out. We don't know how effective this bug is, and I won't even called our gear proof until we can prove otherwise."

Kneeling next to the first cadaver, the med corp soldier drew a toolkit off his rigging, beginning a autopsy.

as written by Cream

Bo focused on helping his friends, trying his best to save the people and use the masks they were given. Hopefully this technology would somehow save them, but he doubted it. When this virus learned to take out their immune systems, there was no hope for them. They needed to figure out how to stop the virus from getting past their defenses and disabling the android that was their immune system.

"Please don't let my baby die! Please. Bo!" A mother came running up, holding the bundle in her arms before shoving it into his.

"Calm down." He told her in Xi before looking at the baby wrapped up. He didn't look well. Maybe it was the virus, maybe it was just an illness. "Have you been in contact with anyone that is sick?"

"I don't think so."

"How long has he been like this?"

"Maybe an hour."

Bo moved back over to the men giving out the masks and grabbed two, giving one to the young mother and looking at the little one in his arms. He looked over at Rim and the men. "Medicine. We need medicine for the baby."

Back