Keeping your head down

Annie

uhqarD.jpg

She had just bought the cottage and had to go into town for supplies to fix the place up as she wanted it. She had her list in hand as she went into the hardware store. Mariah Cross had just moved to town and was trying to keep her head down and her nose clean, so to speak. She had no idea who the enemies were that had chased her from her hometown or if they had attempted to follow her here.

Mariah had met another woman and they seemed to hit it off pretty well, Hekta, had even given her number and told her if she needed anything to give her a call. Which she had done before leaving the cottage and asked her to help with painting and decorating, gave her the address and time to meet up.

She went to get groceries first, they would need drinks, snacks and food at some point, she loaded the groceries into her trunk before closing it and going to the driver's side to drive to the hardware store. The list for the hardware store read:
Paint for master bedroom: Sleepy Blue; Paint for Living area: Muted Grey; Paint for Kitchen: Honey Orange; Main Front Rooms: Sage Green, Pale Yellow, and Cloudy Day White
Wood for making the front sign, Outdoor paint in Grassy Green and Daffodil Yellow, lettering stencils.
Paint brushes and rollers
Paint trays
and tools.

arms loaded down with some of the items on her list Mariah was in search of a cart to put the brushes, trays and rollers into when she ran into a gentleman and dropped everything she was carrying. "Oh My goodness! I am so sorry sir. I didn't see you there." she said as she bent to pick up her dropped items. She didn't bring her eyes up to meet his, part of her wolf up bringing showing, she'd been taught not to look a stranger in the eyes their rank could be greater than yours or they could be an enemy that was looking for her, and when you were already on high alert for danger it was just one more thing she didn't want to deal with if this man was a danger to her. All she could do now was apologize, gather her items and get out of his way.

As a wolf, she could probably hear him sniffing in her direction as he crouched to help her pick up her things.

"You're alright, I was distracted as well." Said Grisham. His voice was low and a bit raspy.

His clothes well worn and patched in places. He wasn't one to throw things away as long as they were still practical. In dark ocre and grey tones. His hair was unkept, needed to be cut soon, and it was as dark grey as his fur when he changed.

The smell was new, he had known that from further away. New girls didn't go unnoticed long, and he had heard about this woman. If she was who he thought she was.

"You're new here, why?" He asked, seeing her uneasy. His question wasn't the most elegant, but he wasn't known for being nice. From her attitude she had could been brought up somewhere strict and traditional. He could be wrong, though. Also, he could be nicer, it didn't hurt. He'd just had a bad morning because his axe's handle had cracked. So now he was here to see if it could be fixed, but had had to buy a new one instead.

"I mean, why are you here?. What brings you to the Rosewood territory?" He made himself say, finally. Otherwise she was going to run off, and whoever was watching over her, because otherwise she wouldn't be allowed to roam, would come yell at him later. He didn't need kids yapping at his door.

Mariah blushed slightly at the reassurance that it wasn't just her fault. She could tell from his scent that he was one of her kind, that still didn't mean that he was trustworthy, he could still be part of the enemies, she hadn't been sure if it was humans, or other wolves that attacked her pack. So, she was Leary of everyone, wolf, or human. Briefly, her eyes came up to meet his at his abrupt question, hers flashed with confusion.

"Oh that, I was looking for a new place to settle down and start my own business. I don't have any family left so it's just me." she scooped up a paint brush that was about to roll under a shelf. "I bought a little cottage and I plan to fix it up and have a day care as well as my home. It may be hard work, but it will keep my mind busy." she said, nerves getting to her and making her talk more than she probably should, although maybe telling more people about her plan to run a childcare facility would help spread the word and bring more business. She had to make money somewhere to help pay utilities and get groceries.

@Machina Somnium

Back