Kitchen

The kitchen is small and purely functional. It has a white tile floor, counters and cupboards with everything you'd usually find in a kitchen. There's a gas stove, a sink and a refrigerator. On the counters there are utilities and some fruit bowls. The wall to the dining room is a half wall the same height as the kitchen counters. So you can see into the dining room from the kitchen and vice-versa. The kitchen connects to the Laundry room and the Downstairs hallway.

Sylvia went to the kitchen from outside, tying her hair into a messy ponytail to avoid getting her hair in her face. She got out twelve eggs for Daniel, considering the other tenants probably wanted breakfast. She tuned the radio to a popular music station, where the host was raving about a new product that just hit the market, Sylvia mocked the host, speaking in a nasal voice.

"GUYS!" Sylvie called, "HOW MANY EGGS DOES EACH OF YOU WANT?"

One of the things Luka did to avoid overthinking, was working. Having a stable and renting rooms at your own house often meant never-ending work. It was at the stable and back at home. Sometimes he had to play mediator in other people's conflicts. This time had been quite enough, and he settled to have it put on the add they had for the bedrooms that they wouldn't accept anyone under 18. It was only fair to everyone involved. He still hadn't had a chance to talk to his little brother over his earlier conflict with Mr. Dark. The new tenants had got a terrible first impression for sure. Abel was nowhere to be seen, and Ishade had been holed up in his study all day. At least he thought so.

It wasn't so typical in the summer, but he was upset and tired. It was a comfort food, he knew Rose would appreciate it too, so he made beef stew for everyone, with a side of rice. Luka busied himself in the methodical work of cutting up ingredients and measuring what needed to be measured. It was also a dish that took a long time to make, at least the way he'd learned to make it, so he could stay out of everyone's way too. He needed alone time, desperately. Maybe later around eight he'd take Jenny and the dogs out for a walk, and return just before curfew. Or pay Rick a visit at the stable. He knew the other man could manage it all just fine, but he still liked to check on him.

Soon, around 5:30 pm, the smell of delicious food filled the household. It lured a hungry Ishade out of his study first. Together they set the table for as many as we're sure to be present. And so the younger Luseth took over while his brother went to change and get ready for dinner. Ishade was as dressed up as he was going to be. With plain pants and a patterned shirt and nice shoes. His outfits were always dark in color. He went over to the dining room after washing some of the utensils Luka had put to use while cooking. Where everything was pretty much ready.

Last edited:
After Ivy finished her cake, Dark had her gather the dishes and utensils she used, and he gathered his own, and then they brought them to the kitchen, and he offered to help with the dishes. Normally, he would encourage Ivy to help with washing up, but he didn't want to thrust her into work on her first day. Anyway, he had some questions for Luka he didn't want her to overhear.

"Ivy, sweetheart, you can go upstairs and play with your toys, if you would like to," he told her, and of course she gladly scampered away, because she had very little interest in doing the dishes.

After she was out of ear shot, Dark said to Luka (who was still putting away the leftovers), "I would like, when we are more settled, to assign her some chores. She had them at our old house, and I think having a routine would be good for her, especially now." It wasn't the most pressing of his questions, but it was a good opener.

Luka hummed in response, nodding. He didn't stop moving around so he could get things done as soon as possible.

"Sounds good to me. I do recommend maybe starting with keeping her belongings organised in the room? Maybe help keep it clean. If you want her to help more or have variety she could help me water some plants in the mornings, there's always dust to be cleaned, the dogs need to be let in and out... We're constantly busy, but outside of keeping your room tidy and not making a mess of the bathrooms and kitchen, please don't feel obligated to anything." He said to Mr. Dark. Almost done with the leftovers, next would be the washing. He made sure if Daniel or Ikanov arrived later they'd have some food readily available. And Mitch too if he decided to eat a bit more later at night.

"She is good with organization already," Dark replied. He decided to risk rolling up his sleeves to the elbow so he could start washing the dishes, figuring since his arms would be in front of him, his many forearm tattoos would be hidden, and then he could hide his hands as he dried them off. He firmly could not stand mess, "it was always a rule at our home. My wife, she--hmm..." He glanced up at the ceiling as he began rinsing the plates, leaving his sentence in the air, "but I am sure we will find something for her. At our home she used to clean the windows weekly, although we had fewer than there are here, set the table, and take out the garbage."

He looked down at the sink as he carefully washed the dishes. He knew Luka had just said they did not need to feel obligated to do anything, with the exception of his time overseas, he had spent nearly twenty years doing most of the cleaning in his home, his own home, and he could not quite yet let go of it, if indeed he ever would be able to.

Another soft hum was Luka's response, long, so it seemed thoughtful. He wasn't dismissing what Dark had said, but he was thinking about it for a little longer as he finished up with the leftovers.

"If what you want is to find interesting activities for her, beyond some chores that I'm sure she could do, I think I mentioned Mrs. Dunham in our letters? She has two kids around Ivy's age. Our neighbors, Rose and I are going to mass with her tomorrow morning. I don't have plans for later but I do work in... The evening"

He had been moving stuff around and cleaning the counter. Eventually he had come up to Dark's side to put some spices back inside a cabinet. His arms were very colorful and right there, of course he was going to state!. His eyebrows shot up and whatever he was about to say next was as good as gone from his mind.

"..." He should have said something. But not only was the ink beautiful, it was also unexpected as FUCK. His eyes shot up to look at the other man's face for a second and then back to his arms. He had been silent for several seconds already, and openly staring.

"V-very nice uh, Ink, Mr. Dark." He managed before turning around completely to open the refrigerator and stare at a mug of fresh water inside. Who was this man? It wasn't do relevant that you'd mention it over a letter, but it... Didn't go with whatever preconceived idea of Dark Luka had formed already. He didn't want to judge but who had these kind of tattoos? And did it hurt to get them? And wow he really should do something with the fridge. So he grabbed the water and left it on the counter. Then he opened the fridge again. What?.

"Oh." Was all Dark said, gently set down the bowl he was washing before turning to Luka. He did not look down at his arms, and he began to dry off, "Thank you."

His new landlord seemed to be freaking out, which was expected, but he wasn't making accusations or voicing whatever presumptions he must be thinking, so ultimately, it was the best result he could have reasonably received, "You may look if you wish, I am used to it." He would make them move, also, if it was requested, but that trick did not entertain most adults. Ivy was ten and it had not even amused her in half a decade.

He then thought, for a moment, and deemed it advantageous to also add, "They do not indicate criminal affiliations, if you have that concern."

All Luka did was close the fridge and pour himself a glass of water before anything else, and slowly drink it. He did turn to look at Dark and looked at his arms, feeling less guilty now that he had permission.

"No, I... To be honest, I'm very surprised because you don't seem the... Type. But it serves me right, for making assumptions. I apologise for reacting so strongly." He finally said once he had downed the entire glass.

"It's good to know there's no criminal affiliations, but err, I'm mostly surprised, I promise. If you have concerns about other guests, I can say with almost certainty most of them will like them, I think. Ishade will, I'm sure. Rose, most likely, and Mitch too. I wouldn't know about Daniel, and... Our regular couch surfer I don't think will have a problem with them." Ikanov would probably love them, actually, which was way worse...

Dark nodded respectfully after being told he didn't seem like the 'type' to have tattoos, and it may even have been, if one had looked closely enough, one corner of his mouth may have twitched upwards, "I believe I am not expected the type to do many of the things which I have done, but the same may be true for all of us. But I am pleased to know the other guests are unlikely to take issue with my skin, seeing as it is--immutable." He was not being sarcastic, he was actually quite relieved. But at the same time, he knew if one of the others did find them displeasing, they would have to live with it. When the full heat of summer came, he would only do so much to hide them.

"I have a hummingbird, for Ivy," he said, placing one hand slightly to the left of his heart, slightly closer to his shoulder, "and my sorceress," he showed his wrist, "is for my wife, although she was not my wife for many years until after I had it done." He hoped by sharing his sweetest illustrations would help prevent Luka from asphyxiating.

Lukais just listened, smiling gently as Dark talked. He liked it when the tenants felt like they could talk to him, instead of being treated like a jailor or a security guard of sorts.

"Your inspirations for the tattoos are very sweet" he told Dark, leaning closer to see the sorceress on his wrist. The design, as well as the rest around it, was beautiful. Very creative, as well as unconventional. He just knew Ishade would love it, but he might make Dark uncomfortable trying to see the entirety of the designs.

"Is it your life story on your skin, then? Or things, as well as people, that you want to remember?" He asked, he was tired, but also curious.

Finally, Dark looked down at his arms, and thought for a few moments before saying, "They all have a story, but not every story is true." He traced one finger around the ouroboros, the snake which devoured and birthed itself continuously, but did not elaborate. He was not sure if Luka was quite ready for that revelation, and although he was prepared to continue discussing his illustrations, he turned back to the sink, and continued washing the dishes, because he did not like the mess.

"The eyes on the back of my hands took the fun out of peek-a-boo," He said lightly, subtly shifting the line of questioning, "and when Ivy grew older, she would draw on herself. And I could not say a thing."

Since Dark was keen on doing the washing, Luka settled for doing the drying. They did go much faster this way, and he definitely needed to have some dishes and other stuff ready in the morning so he could make breakfast for the Dunham's and Rose.

"I guess it'd be a hard argument to make. Seeing how your arms are decorated. Or at least your forearms. What kind of fictional stories then? Dreams? Aspirations? Forgive my questions if they make you uncomfortable. No need to answer of course. But I am curious" No damage in admitting to his feelings, his curiosity. He did hope his brother and Mr. Dark got over whatever small feud they were having and became friends. They were both artists! And they'd have plenty to talk about.

"Myths and legends and creatures of folklore... There is the Jersey Devil, and the Islamic fire spirits, who are neither angels nor humans, and who you are not meant to name, among others. And some from science and history--I have a mastodon and a tyrannous saurus rex, and the Tsavo lions..." He sighed, "And I have comets and constellations... on my sternum, I have the Hanged Man..." He shrugged his broad shoulders, and at last said, "there is not really one continuing theme. I have leviathans and hawks, and celestial beings and people, and dragons and foxes and--mushrooms and trolls and satyrs and warriors... goddesses..." He tried to think of how best to describe the vast array of stories and meanings of the artwork in his skin, but in all his long years, he had never quite found the words.

He looked long at Luka, his golden eyes almost wistful, and at last he said, "I believe every day the story is different."

"I see, I see" Said Luka, grinning at the other man as they got through the last of the washing and drying. Soon there barely anything else to do, at least at first sight.

"I should head to bed, it's early, but I rise early. It's been a pleasure talking to you Mr. Dark. Its a busy Sunday tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll at least see you at dinner." He told the older man, thinking about what he hard learned about the tattoos. Like that they weren't just on his arms, but also on the rest of his body. And that Dark knew a lot about fantasy, legends and myths.

He wanted some time to himself and to read a bit before he actually fell asleep. Which was why he'd be going so early. He left Mr. Dark in the kitchen, with everything clean and collected, and walked toward his bedroom.

"Goodnight," Dark said, as Lula left the room. Then he took a breath, dried his hands, and rolled down his sleeves, once again hiding his illustrations. The makeup was gone from his hands, now, but the secret was out, so he did not feel strongly about it. Then he did not know what to do. He wanted to go upstairs and check on his daughter, but he feared she would grow annoyed by how he hovered. But the boarding house did not yet feel like his space, and he felt rather like it was best to make himself scarce.

But, he wanted to give his child some time to herself. They had been in the car together for two hours that day, and the night before they were in a hotel room after traveling for another few. He was confident he was not just loved, but liked by his daughter, and knew she did not find his company annoying or worse (which, frankly, was his greatest source of pride. Most of the other parents he knew tended to shame him and his wife for their 'unconventional methods,' but their kids generally could not stand to be around them), but she was ten, she needed space, even if she had not yet begun to explicitly ask for it. So he chose to remain downstairs

The following day, around 5:45 am Lukais came out of his room wearing something casual, with his hair in a loose ponytail. He unlocked the front and back doors which he had forgotten to lock las night. Ishade must have done it himself, so he was thankful to his brother for a moment before he got to work.

He started by setting the table and getting everything ready for breakfast, which wouldn't start until an hour later. There'd be a variety of options, fruits, yogurts, toast, cereal etc. He also made pancake batter since there'd be kids coming and Sel let them have a treat on Sundays.

After that he left to do some minor work in the garden, feed the dogs and the horses and have Jenny and the buggy ready for later. It was a custom black cart with a more modern approach than usual, given the times. There was space for a driver, and then the rest of them had space to sit behind. It looked like the day would have gentle weather, which was always good news.

Once that was done, he went to take a shower and get properly dressed before the Dunham arrived. Busy day indeed. But he could barely feel the tiredness that clung to his bones, always focused on something else.

Rose came downstairs and went into the kitchen to make tea. It was always how she began her day, she didn't drink coffee. She was still in her pajamas, because she figured she had some time left before it was time to head to Church, but she had done her hair and makeup. She only wore makeup if she was going to work or to Church, the rest of the time she didn't bother. But Church ladies could be vicious.

She wished she could say she wasn't typically up this early, but work robbed her of it. One day she wouldn't be a bank teller anymore, and that day she would sleep in until 9 a.m. every day, which, yes, wasn't particularly 'late,' but it sure beat being up and at 'em before 7. She really should start going around to the nearby night clubs again, maybe one of them was hiring a lounge singer and would actually hire her this time. Or restaurant was looking for a pianist. But if they didn't pay as well, then where would she be? The twins were in school, Poppy was dreaming of being a chef, and the Inn just wasn't getting as many patrons because of the recession--people weren't going on vacation, and the locals weren't going to spend money when some of them were at risk of losing their farms.

"Ah, there's no use fretting about, Rosie," she said to herself. Since coming to the United States, it was a habit she developed, putting on an extra thick accent and speaking to herself like that. She kept a whole village in her head, that way, and sometimes it made her laugh enough to take her out of whatever mood she was slipping into, and other times it provided just the right amount of comfort. In her usual voice, which, mind you, still had an unmistakable accent, she said, "no use fretting at all..."

Glancing up at the time, Rose sighed. The Dunhams would be here soon. That wasn't a bad thing, she liked them well enough, but it meant she could get dress. Selene (who did not know Rose called her Selene when she wasn't around) once came in while she was still in her pajamas, and she reacted just about as well as Luka did when he caught her in her bra. But it was another beautiful day, and Rose couldn't feel too badly, and she sang a little bit to herself as she waited for the kettle to heat up. Rose was almost always singing. Or humming. Or whistling.

Dark came downstairs, once again dressed in an all black suit, although it was clearly a different one than he wore the previous day, and he set about preparing breakfast for himself and Ivy, with her assistance. It didn't take too long, because most of it was already started, and Dark brewed some (very strong) coffee with added cardamom in a separate, fancy looking bronze pot, which looked almost like a kettle with a long, skinny spout. Then the two of them went into the dining room to eat their breakfast.

Dark planned to go to a grocery store later in the afternoon, mostly to fetch ingredients and spices he did not notice in the kitchen, but also because it felt very unnatural for him to just use items others had purchased, so he felt obligated to purchases a few things to add to the items in use.

Luka walked in with Rose in tow, already knowing what they were having that day for lunch. It was lighter than dinner, so a salad and some varied sandwiches should be enough for everyone. That and he had some peaches he didn't know what to do with.

"Uncle Luka, I want to help!" Said Gabriel, trotting in after them.

"Can you set the table then, please? You know where things are Gabe" Said Lukais, straightening his ponytail and then proceeding to wash his hands.

"Alright. We're making a peach gelatin salad, I've been wanting to make it for a while. Will you peel and cut the peaches while I mash the walnuts and get the gelatin mix done?" He said to Rose, taking the peaches, ginger ale, walnuts and other ingredients from the fridge. He set them on the counter. And didn't quite leave much room for discussion.

Back