Kitchen

Rose nodded, and dutifully set to work pealing and cutting the peaches, after washing her hands of course.

"Selene offered me a job, I don't know if you heard while you came into the kitchen," she mentioned, as she peeled the peaches. She was pleased this gelatin salad was not as... experimental as some of the others. Sometimes cabbage or shrimp would be added in, and it was a difficult day. But peaches and walnuts were pleasant enough. She kept an eye on Selene and Dark through the window, because they were evidentially both strong personalities... "I'm a wee impressed with how he's holding his own."

A pot of water was put on the heat to boil, so it could be mixed with the gelatin. Luka put the walnuts in a bag and started crushing them with a rolling pin.

"I did hear some of it, but I wasn't about to just butt in. Did she make you a good offer?" He said to Rose. Gabriel came and went, taking dishes and cutlery to the dining room table.

"And yeah, I'm not worried about Mr. Dark getting scared off or anything. Sel isn't that bad anyway, today she's in a good mood I think" He spoke when Gabriel was away, not that they were saying anything bad. But it wasn't polite.

"She did. Almost too good, I had t'stop myself from asking what the catch was." She finished peeling the peaches and began slicing them, working quickly.

When Gabriel went back into the dinning room and they were able to speak about Selene and Dark she said, "No, she isn't that bad, but you can't deny she can sometimes be a bit overbearing, and anyway, we don't really know what kind of person he is yet, or how he'd react."

"I assume the catch is somewhere along, her house her rules. And I'm pretty sure she's a strict boss to have. But other than that, I'd say it's a good opportunity, no?" Said Lukais, crouching to take a big mold for the salad out of a drawer. He brought it up onto the counter and started brushing in a shallow layer of cooking oil. In the meantime, the water was starting to boil.

"Money is always a delicate issue, for everyone. And that other disgrace of a man she had before was stealing from her. I think right now she's looking for someone she knows she can trust. There's some stuff about you she doesn't approve of... That's just how she is. But you're an honest person Rose. And that pays off." He gave her a smile, and then turned to open the can of ginger ale. He started mixing it with the water to then mix that with the gelatin and stir it for a couple of minutes.

"Please put about half of the cut peaches at the bottom of the mold" He requested in the meantime.

"She can't be more strict than Hyacinth," Rose laughed, putting half the peaches as she was told to, "if she does officially offer it t'me, I'll definitely take it... but she'll have to learn to accept the 'stuff about me' she doesn't approve of. I have just as much right to exist as I am as anyone." She smiled back at him, and stretched.

"Mitch, Ikanov, and I are planning to go to the record store later today," She replied, "I'm sure we'll be back long before dinner, but I thought you should know, just in case."

Luke laughed a bit. "I'm sure you'll both be fine if you end up working there. She can't expect everyone to bend to her will in all aspects." They put together the gelatin salad and then stuck it in the fridge so it would cool. Then got around to making some sandwiches.

They made some ham and cheese, salad, onion tuna and mayonnaise... Then cut them in small triangles. Luka also added a cucumber and cream cheese sandwich for his brother, since he had woken him up rather suddenly and sent him to wash the horse.

"Thank you for the heads up. Will you be taking a horse and the cart? Or is Abel driving?" He asked, because they needed to know. He was well aware Ikanov kept his car in a nearby parking, but he didn't know if he ever took his friends on rides.

"We haven't talked about it yet. I'm not even sure Ikanov knows he's coming. We told him, but then he went out for the night so..." Rose shrugged, taking a jug of lemonade out of the refrigerator, "honestly, I'd be fine with just walking. It isn't too far away, the town isn't that big. But I suppose it comes down to whatever they want to do."

Luka nodded, looking over to see Gabriel was sitting on a chair and petting Sophie. He was done setting the table and had decided to take a little break. The dog must have come out of Ishade's room at the same time his brother had, and was now very happy to get some pets.

"As long as you have fun. You'll have to show us if you bring anything back" He said with a soft smile. They were practically done.

"I'm sure we will. I think there's something Mitch wants t'pick up, but I really just want to look, although maybe they'll have some nice songbooks." Rose washed her hands again, there being nothing left for her to do and not wanting to go through the rest of the day with hands covered in sandwiches and peaches, and leaned against the counter.

She looked outside and saw Dark comforting Ivy, but didn't mention it, because it wasn't her buisness, although she smiled to herself, because it was nice to see a dedicated parent, even if (of course) she didn't want to see a child upset.

Once done, the sandwiches were put away as well. There was still half an hour or so until lunch time. Luka followed after Rose in washing his hands.

"Do you think they are alright?" He asked Rose, as he had also turned around and seen the father and child hugging. It looked like a vulnerable moment. Made him feel furtive and intrusive, but they were right there. It wasn't strange that they saw them. Comically enough, they could also see Ishade in the distance now drying Jen. Somehow he managed to look uncomfortable from where he was standing and despite what he was doing.

"Well..." Rose replied, looking at the little family again, "who can say? Unless I'm mistaken, we don't even really know why they moved in here, so we don't know what they're going through. It's just the pair of them... But," Rose turned to Luka, "it's nice t'see he's a good dad. Some parents wouldn't comfort their kid like that, so I suppose, if they're not alright now, they will be. It's funny though, he's showing her she doesn't have t'hide her feelings, which isn't really something you'd expect from a guy who seems to have exactly one facial expression." This was not an attack or a judgement, simply a statement of fact.

She stretched, tried to tuck that pesky curl away yet again, but then gave up and said, "I think I'm going t'head upstairs for a moment or two, I've got t'let my hair down, regardless of what anyone might say. It's driving me half mad."

"Maybe he's just not all that expressive? Sometimes people have natural poker faces and it's not their fault." Said Luka, smiling a bit with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Like how Father Ronald always seems to be tired and a bit scared. Always, but there's a hint of a smile when we sing. I think so anyway." He added, looking at Rose.

"Oh it's alright. Go upstairs if you prefer, but hey, you've helped make lunch. I think 'anyone' will live if your hair is loose. I can even join, in protest" He said, actually reaching for the hair tie that kept his ponytail together and taking it off. They were done cooking, so it'd be alright. And while he was used to it, it felt good to let his long hair down sometimes.

"No, it's not their fault," Rose laughed, "And to his credit, it never feels cold when he looks at you. I find him absolutely intimidating, but it doesn't feel like he's trying to freeze us out. It's more like, he's burning on the inside, and if you look too long, you'll burn also. It's like... he's got embers in his soul." Sometimes, all the time she spent writing music caught up to her, because when she wrote lyrical songs, she almost always began with poetry first, and when a tune came to her, she would find it remarkably fit with one of her poems.

But that didn't mean that when she realized what she said, she didn't blush lightly, and hope whoever she was speaking to had been ignoring her. She suddenly had a flashback to the time she told her professor she thought he moved like a snake, "I'd be glad to have you join the rebellion," she said quickly, "Perhaps I'll make you a sign while I'm upstairs." Then, unless halted, she would exit the room, to recover her dignity.

Luka watched her go, suddenly in a hurry. Her choice of words was certainly peculiar, but there was nothing to be ashamed of. If anything, it has been sort of poetic. Of course, he had listened. They had both been mid conversation. Seeing her leave like that, he shrugged and re-made his ponytail.

In the dining room, young Gabriel was busy teaching Sophie tricks, or trying to.

He stayed in the kitchen, amicably chatting with the lad for a bit until it was actually lunch time. They talked about Dark, who, Luka assured Gabriel, was nowhere as scary as he looked. Even if he was tall and had tattoos. No, he didn't know why he had them. Yes, his daughter seemed nice as well. Gabriel told Luka his mother and their old friend Keith had been in contact lately. It wasn't new, since Lukais also exchanged letters with his friend from time to time. But Selene was a bit less likely to, so it was good to hear she was getting involved again.

When it was time, which Gabriel reminded him of, he rang the house's bell to let everyone know they could come. Gabe took a seat where he usually did and Lukais got to bringing the salad and sandwiches to the table.

Back