Knight's and Ladies (atepem & silence)

"Oh good." Donovan almost trembled as he started out unsteadily on the trek once more. "I don't fight things real well if I can't look at their heads. A head motion will tell you a lot about where an enemy is going to move and I don't like snakes." To a degree the hair had been the most terrifying part and he couldn't help almost shuddering at the thought of one more being out there. "They're not vengeful kinds are they? Wouldn't necessarily want one to be hunting me." There was a strange moaning in the forest and since the girl hadn't said anything he didn't figure it would do any good to say anything either.

Of course she gave a statement that almost seemed to mock. "I wouldn't much care to say I fought one of those Gorgon creatures. Do you really think so lowly of me? That I would run about boasting of something like that." Donovan passed her on his march up the hill. It didn't take much considering how much longer his legs were than hers. When they reached the top he could see a small cottage below and that finally offered some comfort and a little relief. That must have been what they were looking for. "Finally we're here." Setting his foot sideways he began the slow descent down the hill. Donovan could feel his shoulder was beginning to ache after the fight and perhaps once they were safely in the cabin he could manage to get some decent rest and she could preen as she desired.

"What I wouldn't give for a little rest." Almost grinning he turned to look behind himself and he offered a hand to Lillian as she was appearing to have some trouble with a bit of the rougher ground. "Tonight you'll have some shelter, I'll make some food and gather a little water if you'd like to wash your face." He had to remember that as much as he liked to make fun of her in his mind, that he would like wash almost as much as she would. "Then we'll find out why your father sent you here. Maybe he has a message or some kind of thing in it."

It was a wonder how Lillian was able to restrain herself from all but collapsing on the bed she'd found in the cottage. When they'd finally caught sight of it, all the fatigue from having to live like a savage flooded her aching legs and stiff back, and she'd found the last few metres so much more difficult than even fleeing the terrifying creatures in that godforsaken forest.
It was a small, desolate place. Only one floor, more looking run-down than newly built, and she saw clumps of dust floating delicately in the sparse light streaming in from the windows, but it was a great improvement from dirt and sticks so she hadn't any complaints to voice.

Still, she couldn't lie down; her mud-soaked clothes would most definitely ruin the sheets. Instead she placed her bag down on the dust-matted floor, and slumped on a nearby chair with as much grace as she could muster. "Thank all that is good." Lillian sighed blissfully, closing her eyes and resting her head simply on the rough wood. A good wash and a change of clothes was in order and it was going to be glorious.

But first.
Turning her head slightly and cracking her eyes open, she spoke in the direction of the knight. "...A thanks to you, as well." Lillian admitted quietly, "It would've been difficult to have gotten here without your assistance... So, my gratitude. To you. Knight Donovan."

She promptly shut her mouth and eyes after that and tried to relax, retracing her thoughts back to food and basic comforts - thoughts that she hadn't had to linger much on back in her days in the castle.

(There is a little place for you to determine the next setting or where you would like to see Lillian go.)

Donovan almost drug himself through the door of the cottage. They had arrived here at last and he couldn't help, but feel a sense of relief. Letting out a long breath he shut the door firmly behind them and barred it from the inside. He didn't need any random creature busting in after them. Somehow he still couldn't shake the horrible feeling that he got from that awful woman beast thing. What Lillian had called it didn't matter. There wasn't a name in the world, or words enough to describe what it was like fighting that thing.

Shuffling to the side of the room he shoved the bag of their supplies into the corner. Thankfully they had some food. However, his first concern was a little personal comfort. The armor being loose on one shoulder to spare his back had only caused it to rub great sores since it had not fit correctly. Unbuckling the leather strap on his other shoulder he groaned a little as he pushed the armor off. The metal clunked to the floor and he noticed that now the woman was looking at him. If she even did so much as start to jump down his throat for disturbing her rest.... Instead she quietly thanked him though she still seemed reluctant to admit that she would have surely perished if he had not been here to protect her.

Even if it was a grudging thanks he still had to respond as it was only correct for one of his status to do. "It is my honor and duty." Donovan thought for a moment before he said anything further. He knew that it would likely do the girl some good to hear something of her father. "I gave my word to your father. Barbarian or brute I value my word and your father was a good man."

Picking at the last of the armor he sighed with relief as it hit the ground. Despite the desire to relax he knew that there were yet a few more duties to perform. He would need to kindle a small fire and then he would take up a place on the floor since the bed would be occupied by the lady. She shouldn't be so unfamiliar to having a guard in her quarters and if she was then she would quickly get used to it. He was here to protect her and he wasn't about to step outside and risk his neck and her life just for the sake of her privacy or to give her all the shelter to herself. The girl had become a bit more reasonable with time on the road and it was well that she had. Pulling a small flat leather satchel out from under his shirt he pulled the strap over his head and laid the satchel on the floor to dry a little from his sweat before he retrieved the letter for her to read. Perhaps after he had a fire going and the it had dried she could read this. It was her final instruction from her father and he didn't know what was in it. All that he knew was that he had been charged to get her here to the hut in the forest, protect her, and deliver the letter when they arrived at the cottage. This was something he preferred to have done right away.

Donovan had a fire started in a few minutes and he laid down on the floor. The heat from the fire felt good across his back and the wound. It soothed his sore muscles and the many bruises. Early in the morning he woke and let his hand drift over to the satchel. Since it was more than dry he pried it open and pulled the sealed letter from it. Laying the letter in Lillia's lap he went back to his place on the floor and tried to gain a little more rest before she was awake. Who knew what orders she would have received though it didn't likely involve her dismissing him from her service. So instead he assumed that he would be by her side for a time yet.

That night, sleep was a warm sanctuary. A comfortable, dreamless haze that curtained her consciousness away from reality and let her finally relax. Even when sunlight slipped through the gaps in the threadbare cloths covering the patterned windows, Lillian found herself disinclined to move from her spot. Only when she could no longer catch more sleep did Lillian finally resign herself to opening her eyes and warily pushing herself upright, feeling the disobedience of her limbs completely drained of energy from previous days of constant travelling.

As she lay heavily on her pillow, her eyes caught a letter resting in the folds of her sheets and she glanced around curiously before picking it up. It was crumpled the way dried paper was, but the familiar white wax seal on the front was spared from the damage and - turning it over in her lap - so were the familiar lines mouthing her name at the back.
Unfolding the letter with delicate fingers, the contents were exactly what she'd thought they'd be. Her father's unique cursive, pressed softly onto parchment, wrote endearments and apologies in the initial body of the letter but it was brief enough that Lillian only felt her throat constrict and nothing more.

Following that, was a lengthy explanation of their family's lands and how it was special. The importance of the magic contained in the vast forest so close to the castle and how it was mandatory that this kind of sorcery remain in safe hands and not the opposing kingdoms.
Her father's instructions were on the back of the letter, some words slightly smudged by water but not at all completely indecipherable.

"Now that the kingdom of the South have the castle, they will not be so easily persuaded into returning it. Be wary of their growing numbers and do not get caught by any means - they will want someone who knows of the forest's inhabitants. I have sent a letter to the King detailing the siege and an enquiry for help but the probability that my message gets successfully delivered is slim. It may take some time before any army from our kingdom arrives.
Instead, you must make allies of the creatures. Gain their King's favour. He will be found at the very middle of the woods and his kingdom may be heavily camouflaged. He is a very temperamental fellow so caution with your words is deeply advised.

Also - and this may be a struggle to you, dear Lillian - you must gain the favour of the people if you are to become the new lord of these lands. They have most likely heard many unfavourable things about you and I was hoping to ease you into resolving your issues with them. You may have had bad experiences with them in the past, but you are not fit to lead them if you are as prejudiced as you are now. This is an important matter and hurt feelings are irrelevant now.

Throughout this grand quest, I've hired a very able knight, that is Donovan, to accompany you. After all is over and you have reclaimed the castle, you will offer him some of our best lands for serving our family well. I am sure you both will get along swimmingly.

It is unfortunate that I must leave this burden to you, but your mother and I wholly believe that you are capable of this. We will support you the entire way.

Yours,
Father"

Donovan didn't wake as he thought he would when the lady stirred. He was instead still sleeping on his side with his back to the fire. The knight didn't wake for some time and when he did the lady had moved from her bed and he stared about the room a little bleary eyed. His back ached and his stomach churned with hunger. It was as if all the fighting had finally caught up with him. Though the heat of the fire had soothed the aching wound it did not cure it over night.

Grumbling under his breath he sat up and started to dig into the sack for something to cook. Perhaps the lady would have fed herself, but he doubted that she would have lowered herself to cook. Lillian was spoiled and he imagined she had no idea how to wash her clothing. Was he going to be her nurse maid as well as protector? Just the idea was nearly sickening. Still he didn't say anything about that part. "I'm going outside. Need to fetch some water." Getting to his feet he gathered up the small cauldron that sat near the fire pit. The man cautiously opened the door and held his sword in one hand and then made a quick dash for the river. Last thing he wanted was to meet another creature when all he wanted was some water to begin making a stew. Something, or anything to eat was necessary.

Just outside the house he noticed there was a little garden and he could probably collect a few things. It was so odd that this garden was full and well kept. Yet no one seemed to live in this house except himself and the girl. Donovan was forced the sheath his sword so that he could pick a few of the onions and dig in the rows that looked empty. It proved to be helpful as he found a few potatoes. Just as he was preparing to drop them into the satchel on his side he noticed an odd little creature come running toward him shaking its fists. "Whoa there." Donovan looked at the little green colored man. "I'll pay you for it." Seemed to have at least got the little man settled down and Donovan set the cauldron down so he could search his person for anything that the man might want to trade him for. Soon enough he noticed that it pointed at the dagger. "Then I get more food eh?"

This little man struck up a hard deal, but Donovan got a decent amount of food for the dagger. Once he was inside the house again he unloaded the food onto the floor and wiped all the dirt he could from it. Now he had to try and peel the skin from the potatoes with his sword. Noticing the look from Lillian he smirked. "Gardner demanded some kind of payment so I had to give him my dagger."

Lillian looked up from her musings when the knight arrived with some food. She hadn't thought about breakfast.

"Gardener?" She asked curiously, she'd been under the impression that they were the only ones at the cottage.

"Yeah there's some little folk around here. That garden outside didn't just grow itself." Donovan frowned at her. Was she naive enough to think that one would hoe the ground and plant seed and yet not choose to harvest for their own use.

A garden maintained with little folk? That sparked her interest, and gave her at least a small distraction. She quickly rose and grabbed a book from her bag, flipping through the pages.
"Little folk? Like gnomes?" She asked, finally finding the page and pointing to the illustration.

The knight was surprised that she didn't mock him for his ignorance. Donovan squinted at the page and he leaned a bit closer so he could see it better. "Yeah something like that."

Incredible. "Did they appear very negative? How was their personality? The books are very ambiguous on how they act. Apparently they live underground." She brushed the greying curtains aside to try and peer through the windows at the garden. Surely enough, there it was, with its peculiar hat and short stature. "That dagger is the same height as it."

"He was like me." Donovan sat back on his heels and adjusted the sword again so he could continue peeling the skin off the potato. "Irritable, wants a fair trade, and entirely reasonable."

Lillian just nodded, taking her eyes away from the gnome to lay on the letter folded neatly on her bed.
She was hesitant in bringing up the subject; her father's tasks seemed almost too trying and she'd allowed herself most of the morning ruminating on just how she'd be able to accomplish any of these things.

"The letter..." She started, picking it up. "...from my father. It details some instructions."

The girl seemed to be getting more and more hesitant with her words. Donovan glanced over at her and waited patiently while she spoke. "Hmmm." Lillian was a strange little woman at best. Somehow her attitude seemed different and he couldn't quite make out what it was all about. That was until she finished her thought and it all had to do with her father. In a way he felt badly for her. It was difficult to lose parents no matter the circumstance. "He was a good man. I imagine they're good instructions."

Lillian took a deep breath in at the comment. "Yes." She said slowly, "It read that he would like for us to venture into the very middle of the forest to find an almost invisible kingdom of a temperamental king and convince them to assist us in reclaiming the castle against a few armies from the opposing kingdom.
"And in addition, to also gain the favour of the people of the land." She sat down with an uncertain frown once she was done. "What do you think?"

The task of venturing further into forest really didn't sound all that good and then it was even harder considering the girl and her ability to communicate with anyone she considered lower in status. "Sounds like you got a lot of work to do mi lady." Donovan shrugged and continued with his work. While he was busy he went on talking quietly though it was mostly to himself. "Common folk don't like fancy talk or tales. A lot of work to do."

Dropping her eyes down at her entwined hands on her lap, she sighed. Lillian was very aware of how much she'd have to do without the knight even pointing it out. Her father had said that she'd have to rid herself of her issues...
"So," she rose from her seat and approached the knight, "What are some common customs?"

Donovan was a little surprised that suddenly this girl wanted to know what the customs were. "Well you already know how to be a noble. If you're going to be liked by the common folk you'll stop talking down to them like they're stupid. I don't know how to read and that shouldn't matter. Most common folk won't know how to read either. Doesn't make them stupid. Just try that for starters and the rest of it will come with practice and observation."

Lillian tilted her head with slight dissatisfaction when the knight had brought up reading. It was such a natural part of her life that she was in complete disbelief others didn't have access to it. She hadn't thought he'd take such offense.
"Alright then, I suppose that is fair." Their societies were so different, it was like studying creatures again. "But would they- you - be so against learning to? It's very useful."

Frowning slightly he looked at her and tossed the potato into the cauldron before grabbing the next one. "No, but they haven't the time. Reading is a luxury of money and time. Neither of which the people nor myself have. Maybe when I finally gain some land I'll have time." Donovan looked at her. "You really don't know about the common folk do you?"

"No, not really." Lillian stared at the food with the corners of her mouth minutely downturned. "My bias isn't completely unfounded. Prejudices can be found on both sides.
"But trust that I'll overcome these irrelevant issues. I know that there are bigger problems than mine."

"And they don't know much about your life either." Donovan worked through peeling the next potato much faster. "How about you start with telling me what you know about a common person's life and what you detest."

"They..." Lillian was pensive for a moment, trying to recall any information about the commoners, she couldn't much think with her growing hunger. Her thoughts travelled back to the servants at the castle as reference. "... Work constantly. Some of their work ethics leave much to be desired but there would be the rare few, I suppose. They're often hired for manual labour, like construction and farming. I've seen some that can be very loud and vulgar, unclean. And then there are some that would be willing to do anything for a few petty coins." Her eyes narrowed. "It's horrid."

The description of the commoners wasn't so bad. Being a knight he was somewhere between the commoners and the lords. Donovan nodded his head. "Oh I think you might say that the commoners have a few choice words about nobles. Some are kind and give them the much needed rest in a week, others demand that they work constantly despite having ailments, a few nobles are stingy and demand great amounts of work for little pay, some tax the people too heavily and they nearly starve." Donovan figured he might as well continue since she was stuck here with him. "Some say there are nobles so proud of their lineage they can't even lower themselves to learn of the folk they consider themselves to own. What good master of any beast would demand of it heavy labor without first getting to know what the beast is capable of?"

She turned away at that, wondering which she would eventually fit into. Right now, as she was, there was no doubt which one no matter how harsh the truth may be. But soon. She was her father's daughter after all, and which label would her father have been fit into if not the first?
"You have a point." Lillian admitted after hearing her stomach, and she backed away with a cough as an attempt to mask it. "Well, I've no further questions as of now. But, if I were to have some in the future," she shrugged despite herself, "Could I ask you?"

The knight smirked slightly at the sound of her stomach. Not something that he was unfamiliar with. For the time he let her think that she hid the sound and he threw the second potato into the water. "I think you could safely ask me as long as you are not asking how a lady is to behave. I've had very little training in that area."

Lillian almost laughed. "Would you like to try a practice for 'perfect posture'? It is all about balance." Albeit she did not have enough books to make it more difficult.

"No." Donovan smirked. "My balance is just fine."

"If you say so." Lillian replied with a hum and then, for a lack of better things to do, she peered at the cauldron again. "So how do you know when the potato's ready?"

The man glanced at her and almost laughed. "Well you could say that uh....Depends on how hard you want the potato to be." Donovan couldn't hide the growing smirk on his face. "So would you like it to fall apart in your mouth or shall it still be crunchy? I've eaten them both ways."

"Crunchy would be fine." Thinking on it, Lillian wondered if she should help. How did the servants set the tables again?
"Are there any trenchers?" She asked, looking around.

Donovan started next on carrots and some of the beans. "I haven't really thought of looking for trenchers. If nothing else we could use our spoons and eat out of the pot." Wasn't terribly different from what he had done in his many experiences on the field. "That is if you don't have any objection to it."

Lillian thought back to the embarassing noise her stomach had made and took a breath in.

"Um, no. Not right now-" She started, but then was quick to realise with dawning horror the implications of what the knight had suggested. Who knew how well the knight maintained himself? If he'd caught any diseases? Was her pride worth risking her hygiene for? Yes, he appeared healthy but appearances could very well decieve.
But she couldn't retract her statement, especially now that she knew how easily the knight was offended. "I'll still take a look around though." And proceeded to rummage hopefully through the various shelves and drawers built into the walls. When she found some trenchers - slightly dusty but a little cleaning should do it - she could barely restrain her sigh of relief.

Donovan took a deep breath when the girl returned with the trenchers. "Thank you mi lady." She doubtless more concerned about them than he was since she had taken the time to find them. Noble's were rather funny and stuck up in their own way. They didn't like sharing with those that they considered beneath themselves. He was pretty sure that eating in his presence and sitting in the same vicinity in a casual setting was certainly degrading in her mind. There were some commoners that would take something like this and make it an item of glee and reason to mock her.

These were embarrassed circumstances at the least within the usual boundaries of nobles. It was the discretion of knighthood that demanded he be sensitive to the needs of nobility and the woman that he now served. To assume himself her equal would be perilous. To be aware of his position was an ever present reminder of his status. Donovan quietly finished the broth by throwing the onion bulbs into the water and letting them boil a little longer. There wasn't much in the way of seasoning for the broth or much for meat. If he could dare to catch a fish he would try. The cauldron wasn't even close to boiling yet. "I'll go out to catch a fish."

At least fishing got him out of the little cottage. Perhaps Lillian thought to be so close in his company was disconcerting. If so, she hadn't taken into consideration the fact that it was equally discomforting for himself. Donovan took his boots off and rolled the pant legs up so that he could wade into the water and capture one of the fish. He didn't have anything besides his sword and that wasn't going to do him any good. So instead he stuck his hands into the water and waited for a fish to come swimming by. As soon as the critter was within reach he scooped it out and threw it to the shore where it flopped wildly. Racing out of the water after it he took a large rock and smashed it in the head. Now that the fish was done squiggling on the ground he had to use his sword to chop the head off and try to slice it open without making a mess.

It was a bloody mess by the time he had the fish cut open and removed as many bones as he could. Scraping the meat out of the fish he gathered it up and rinsed it off before taking it inside of the cabin. By now the water was boiling and he dumped the fish into the water. "Little boiled fish and some vegetables will make a fine meal." It would be too bad if she didn't take to his cooking.

When the knight returned, he had a dead fish in hand with its head completely smashed and covered in blood. The sight alone made the painful sensation in her stomach recede and fester into nausea; but then the smell hit her and Lillian dropped the book she'd been reading on a nearby table in favour of attempting to block off the wretched smell with her hands covering her mouth.

She watched in pained horror when the knight unceremoniously threw it - blood, guts and all - into the pot and she realised she'd have to be eating that. Her face paled.

Purposefully breathing through her mouth, Lillian tried to divert her attention to ask how long they'd be staying and what they'd need to do, figuring that the knight would most likely know more about adventuring and quests than she.

In Donovan's opinion the fish didn't look too bad. He sat near the pot while it cooked and quietly mused to himself. What if the girl didn't know how to do anything for herself? That lingering feeling that confirmed her helplessness only seemed to grown and he hated to admit that he was highly frustrated with the knowledge that he might turn into a cook and washer woman for her.

During his unpleasant thoughts he was interrupted with a question that only seemed to begin to confirm some of his fears. "We'll just be staying here till you're ready to be heading into the center of the forest." Naturally she started to ask about the things that they would be needing. Donovan turned toward her slightly and he grinned. "Well now I don't know as if what we need would matter right now. It matter's, but wanting it means very little since I don't imagine that there is any immediate way for us to obtain all the things that I want to travel with."

Glancing back at the boiling pot Donovan stuck a large stick in it to stir the contents before he saw some of the remaining entrails from the fish begin to float toward the top of the water. With the stick he managed to gather the few remaining guts that he had missed during the initial gutting and he tossed them into the fire. "Should have a decent looking dish in just a short while."

Till she was ready...

That was something to think about. Lillian didn't think she'd ever be ready. It was such a grand task that was asked of her - certainly none that any self-respecting lady her age should be expected to undertake - and she was so sparsely prepared.
Lillian supposed this was why the optimal choice was to approach these things logically. It'd worked with the insensitive knight and their interactions are civil now, at least.

Thinking back to the contents of the letter, really they should be leaving as soon as possible. There wasn't a set time limit per se; however, idling by could allow the attackers from the other kingdom to settle in and maybe even call in some reinforcements to ensure their hold on the land. In that case, they'd probably arrive earlier than the help her father had summoned from the King. Another reason to depart as soon as possible.

But then she had to prepare herself for anymore of the encounters they'd had on the way to the cottage. Her mind flew back to the vast selection of mythology books at the castle and painful nostalgia hit like it'd been years. She'd made her way through the majority but she couldn't recall all the important facts and in her bag, she'd only packed her favourites. Guess she'd just have to read up on what she had.

And then there was the knight. Glancing up and watching more than listening to the knight talk and grin about something, her eyes landed on his shoulder. Should wait for that to heal since he'll inevitably face more creatures on their journey. Lillian tried to think back to some useful texts she'd skimmed that could tell her about maybe a way to make it heal faster or even for how long the wound would take to heal. Nothing that could be done in her situation came up though.

The knight's food was done by the time Lillian had thought of some sort of plan and she was grateful for the distraction, albeit temporarily, once she caught the insides of the fish lingering on the surface of the stew. Then her previous feelings of nausea returned, but Gods, could she feel that foreign growl biting at the insides of her stomach and she'd never been so deprived of a decent meal for so long.
Could this even count as a decent meal?
Lillian swallowed visibly and tried to force her face into some form of neutrality, at a loss for words.

At long last it seemed that the meal was done and Donovan could already feel his guts begin to twist in anticipation. He was looking forward to having the food in a bowl and he held a hand out. "I'll serve you up mi'lady and then get some for myself." After a second he realized that she probably didn't know he intended for her to hand him a dish. Getting up off the floor he grabbed a dish for himself and then took it to the pot. Dipping the bowl in he pulled it back out, brimming with the fish soup he'd made. A few potatoes and some other vegetables. They could eat this for 2 or 3 days, if they were careful to ration themselves.

Taking the bowl back over to the small table where the girl sat he set the dish down in front of her with very little ceremony. Donovan had never served anyone in any other fashion. It was a simple task. All one had to do was serve the food and put it in front of the other person. Grabbing the last bowl he took it over to the pot and served that one for himself.

Even though they were in the same cottage and there was only one table it would have been presumptuous to assume a place at the table. The table was far to small to sit at with the lady unless she invited. Donovan settled himself on the floor instead and he gingerly sipped at the soup. So far he'd kept up as good a face as he could for the lady, but his shoulder was hurting and he didn't feel like doing much more. When the meal was done he had every intention of laying near the fire and letting it warm his shoulder a little more to see if it would at least soothe the aching that had begun to set in again. Donovan waited for a few minutes for the soup to cool so he could drink it more quickly. At least it smelled good and he figured if it smelled delicious it would taste the same.

So many of the wealthy turned their noses up at the simple fare of the poor, but often the food was quite tasty. Glancing over his shoulder at the girl he quickly lowered his gaze again. "If you're ready to leave day after tomorrow we best get moving." All of the moving while he was feeling healthy enough was best. After a few more minutes he lifted the bowl to lips again and sipped to be sure that it was cool and then Donovan gulped it down.

Now that he had that part of his day done with he set the bowl aside and rolled to be a bit closer to the fire. Laying on his side with his back to the flames he closed his eyes. Donovan was just about to fall asleep when he thought of one other thing. "Does your ladyship require anything else?" With his eyes still closed he almost murmured the words.

She turned away when the knight started inhaling his stew while sat on the ground, finding no need to further aggravate her stomach and looked at her own plate so bluntly put in front of her. It didn't look all that appetising but then she'd reminded herself that beggars couldn't be choosers and forced it down, eventually finding that the food wasn't as bad as she catastrophised it to be.

As she was about to finish up, the knight spoke sleepily from the fireplace, looking more the weary and tired than before.

"...No." Lillian replied, despite the myriad of demands and complaints roaming around in her head. The cottage was no castle, but it wouldn't be good to wind the knight further. "You may rest."

Even while the knight was drifting off to sleep he couldn't help chuckling. That woman was really quite full of herself. Still acting as though she were the one to give him permission to sleep. Regardless of her granting him rest he was going to be captured by it anyway. Since they had enough stew to last through the next day Donovan simply let it keep warm by the fire and slept all through the day and the night. His shoulder still ached as he slept, but the pain wasn't quite as severe as it had been before. After the greatly needed sleep Donovan rolled to his stomach and tried to sleep longer.

Regretfully the knight could not sleep anymore though he desperately wanted to. With a grunt he rolled to his side again and sat up. Donovan rubbed his face while he gazed about the room. This girl really needed to learn a few things about peasants and humility before the left. He had one day to start on this and he wasn't so sure that he wanted to get started even.

"Mi'lady if you're ready we need to start a little work before we go in search of the forest king." Perhaps it wasn't the exact or perfect title, but it was all the closer he could come up with for now. "First thing you'll need to learn is how to address and bow for a king." It was difficult to know with such a doting father if she had ever learned those manners or if he demanded them of her. Most importantly, he couldn't know if she had ever been to court before. "Then you'll learn a few things about peasants and how to work." Donovan almost cringed at the last word because he could only imagine what she would do or how she would react to a statement like that.

Lillian's head jerked up from the page she was on. Her brows furrowed in offense and she bit her lips together so as to not reply discourteously. Did he really think she was so incompetent that she wouldn't know how to act in front of a King? If anything, she should be the one asking him.

"First of all, I know how to compose myself in front of a King," She bit out, displeasure intoning her voice despite her willing it not to and she cleared her throat to control the agitation so it was clear and neutral. "I've had lessons."

As for the peasants and work... Lillian admitted she was not so well-learnt about them. "What type of work do you mean?" Lillian grudgingly queried with a flickering glance (glare, really) towards the knight. She tried to gauge his expression over the leather of her book with narrowing eyes - try to catch even a judgmental quirk of a brow. No doubt asking questions would give him more excuse to think badly of her.

Momentarily Donovan's heart jumped into the back of his throat. He was desperately trying to think of some way to ease out of his statement that the lady had taken so horribly. Perhaps there would have been a better way to put it. Donovan hadn't ever been the man assigned to do anything besides protecting the nobles. He'd never had to converse with them at length. "Of course, mi'lady." Lowering his gaze he almost croaked out the last few words. "It is excellent you already have had lessons to compose yourself among the Courtiers and Kings. It will greatly lesson the time needed to prepare you for the future."

For the time it seemed that he had dodged any serious error with those choice phrases though Donovan wasn't so sure it wouldn't come back to bite him later. Taking a deep breath he cautiously raised his eyes to meet hers again only to catch the last of her glare. "Not physical work so much. If you want to win the favor of the common people you will need to uh....Some will risk their lives for you if the enemy has overrun your lands. It would be best to work at not demanding of them and accepting whatever they can spare with grace. If there is any convincing to be done with force allow me." The man knew it was risky, but he vowed to watch over her and now he was bound to the woman whether he or she liked it or not. "Then if there is to be any reprimand you may give punishment as you see fit. This way the people will not see you with disfavor, or perceive you as a leader with any malice." It was a little disconcerting to be put at her whim like that.

There was a chance that the girl would order him to take force in bad times and places and then he would be subject to punishment on her behalf. If she was going to be a good leader she would have to learn to manage her people well and unfortunately Donovan found himself in the position of experimentation. The Knight was a little concerned for himself.

Blinking, Lillian merely gave a subtle tilt of her head. She didn't think that the knight would act... almost submissively, however minute the signs. The image and his tone of voice didn't seem to quite fit with the often callous knight. Of course, he did most everything she asked but always with that aloof attitude as if he was doing it all because of his duty - and that was the case - but there was an irritating something in his conduct and choice of words that made her feel horribly young and inferior. As if she wasn't a noble's learnt daughter.

Well... Good. The knight ought to know his place; he should be reminded more often.

Onto more important matters, Lillian considered the small criteria the knight had given to be a 'good leader to her people'. Favour and reprimands and grace. It suddenly came to her that she hadn't any clue on how well her Father stood in the people's eyes. Surely, he'd be in their good graces? His amaranthine patience surely would be -should be- revered by the peasants as it was amongst the nobles.
But then what would they think of her? She surely couldn't emmulate her Father's leadership.

Lillian thought about voicing her doubts, but promptly kept the rising uncertainty repressed. After all, what assurances could the knight willingly offer her? "Of course," she said instead, returning to the window to see if the gnomes were still there. Maybe while the knight was resting, she could attempt an interaction outside. A breath of fresh air should do well for her anyhow. "But right now, we should focus on finding the King."

Donovan watched the lady's face for any kind of reaction and it seemed that she was trying to weigh what he said carefully. It was about time she started to listen to him. Using that little complacent tone was annoying and frustrating. He was still the son of a lord too. Just because he wasn't the oldest meant that his father hadn't taken the time to teach him to read or finer details. While his father had been a minor lord with only a small plot of land the knight was still frustrated with the lady. Chances were if he had title of some kind she would consider the things he said with more care. As it was she didn't seem to be interested in listening to anything he said unless it was in a tone that sounded like he was some sort of servant.

If her father hadn't been a man of honor and one that Donovan respected he would have left the girl on her own. She wouldn't have made it very far and sometimes he wondered if it was going to be worth it. Would she really make a good leader, or was he going to be taking care of a tyrant. As soon as she allowed him out of her service he was going to get out. At this point he couldn't see much to indicate that she would be the kind of leader that the people would need.

Laying down on the floor again he mumbled in return to Lillian. "When you're ready to find the king let me know." She was standing and then he noticed that she was headed for the door. Was she going to find him right now? Then in addition to everything else he knew she came across as very rude and stuck up. Donovan flew to his feet and he came to her side. "Mi'lady?" He didn't know where she was going, but he didn't trust that she would be ok. "If you require an escort outside it is my duty to assist."

Though he knew that it was his duty he had a feeling she would give him some sort of snooty remark. It was almost as if she had made that kind of treatment of others a hobby. She didn't have to rub her class in everyone's face. Donovan wasn't going to argue what her birth rights were or even that she was technically a superior and neither were the people, but like him they didn't like to be constantly reminded of their status versus hers with a condescending attitude.

Lillian stepped back to look up at the knight, noticing the dark blots lining underneath knight's eyes and the slight telltale slouch of his shoulders underneath his armour. Despite the food and the brief rest, he still looked worse for wear. Lillian loathed to wonder if she looked just as fatigued.

"No. Rest. I don't require an escort just to go out into the garden." She reassured with a dismissing wave of her hand, while the other twisted the door handle. It took a few seconds longer than she'd liked for the heavy wooden door - completely rusted at the joints she noted with dismay - to finally open and after she had struggled with it pathetically, Lillian tried to mask her effort by gesturing towards the single bed she'd slept on earlier.
"Sleep there, if you'd like." And made to leave when a distant thought crossed her mind... Would a request to keep the bed clean be so offensive? After all, it was where she slept and would sleep in the next few days. Keeping it clean would be a given, but she never really knew with these peasant-types. Maybe rephrase it to sound less mean?

"I will return shortly." Lillian settled on and tugged the door shut, delighted to find the small gnomes were still working in the garden.

Since it seemed that she didn't want to have an escort Donovan couldn't very well disobey her order no matter how foolhardy it may seem to be. He watched for a moment while she struggled with the door. It was times like these that he wished it wasn't improper to smile, or laugh at the misfortune of one that was considered his superior. Instead he simply amused himself with watching and maintaining the same flat faced expression as he was required to have when in the presence of Lillian. "Aye milady. I'll be sure to rest."

When she stepped outside he turned his head with a grin stretching across his face. Doubtless he would have to get up in a short time to answer the door when she knocked at it. The little lady had a terrible lot to learn and she was soft from all her years of privilege. It was not likely that she would be one to admit that many of the common maids would be stronger than herself and some of them just as pretty. The main difference was that they didn't grow up in the finery and because of that he often found himself more attracted to the poor village women. They were far more kind and often more understanding. Glancing at the bed longingly he wondered if she really meant if he could sleep in it or not. His back and shoulder were aching badly enough he decided that he would take her at her word and he gingerly laid himself across the bed with his feet hanging off the end and his face planted in the pillow.

It wasn't until quite some time later that he woke. The light in the cabin was dim and the fire was barely more than an ember. Outside it was already growing dark and he sat up. While the knight felt much improved in body he wasn't so sure what happened with the girl and that was cause for panic.

Lillian spent the majority of the evening trying to observe the gnomes and their behaviours. She realised the illustrations in the books never really did capture the real thing, be it the gnomes, the creature in the bog, nor - Lillian shuddered to recall - the mangled gorgons they'd encountered in the dark part of the forest.

On her arrival, they seemed a quaint bit suspicious and navigated the field quiet and careful, with small beady looks sent her way. But they eventually realised she'd meant no harm and their noise and numbers increased as the day went by. At times, Lillian would catch bits of a strange new language exchanged between passing gnomes and she couldn't help but try to eavesdrop more. Of course, she couldn't understand a thing but it was interesting nonetheless.

A small finger prodded her side and Lillian wrenched her eyes away from the busy little things to look left of where she sat out of the way. A pint-sized gnome, smaller than the others and dressed completely in a bright red, looked up at her with a small frown behind its scruffy beard. It held a tiny shovel and offered it to her.

"Oh- no. I'm quite alright, thank you." She replied after a beat of silence, waving one hand with a polite smile and a confused lift of a brow. It seemed it wanted her to have it, but for what- she couldn't comprehend.

The red gnome - despite her refusal - persisted, and shoved the tool into her open hand, largely gesturing at the digging gnomes clad in green, working in their quick organised pace, and then at Lillian. She looked between them.

"You... want me to dig?" She asked, and the gnome mimed digging, possibly to signify a yes. "Um, I've actually no experience with this but if you'd like, I could get someone for..."

Lillian trailed off when the gnome ignored her to instead tug her to her feet - quite a feat when it was less than a quarter her height - and basically drag her to the field. She had to bend her body awkwardly to keep up, the other hand with the shovel hopelessly trying to keep the hems of her dress clean.

It dragged her to an unoccupied space between the groups of digger gnomes and then pointed at the dirt.

"You want me to dig?" Lillian repeated, standing at full height now that it had released her hand.
It merely waited and tapped its tiny foot, and Lillian - in her complete bewilderment - crouched down and dug her tiny shovel into the ground. She looked up at it as she emptied her shovel on the ground next to the hole and the gnome tutted in turn with a shake of its head and a cross of its arms.

At least they'd warmed up to her enough to let her help, Lillian supposed as she tried again, frowning when some dirt got stuck in her nail and the bossy gnome rolled its brown eyes. How hard could farming be, anyhow?

Back