Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lake Aranai

Script

Adorable Homewrecker
Benefactor
as written by Script and Moonscar

Some time earlier...

Emeka was on his last few threads of life. He was clinging as tightly as he could, but he could feel himself slipping away farther and farther with each step. He had slid his bandages to the side, and with a wrinkled, stony grimace, he observed the hot redness of his skin rising in infection. Eventually it would turn green and develop pustules. The infection would kill him if he didn't do something.

Glancing at the water, he had a thought. The water wasn't purified, but it would be cold this time of year. Enough to cool the inflammation just a bit.

He moved towards it, slothing with his back bent. His was a haggard mess. His breathing was deep and heavy, accompained by a groan. However, before he reached the grainy white sands of the beach, something caused him to pause.

The reeds rustled. There was a growl. It wasn't like a dog's, or a wolf's, or anything as low or natural. It was a high, vibrating cherrup. It kept going and going and going, higher and higher, until it rose into a scream. Emeka's eyes widened like saucers beneath his glasses. "No, you go away!" he hissed, stepping backwards, away from the reeds. "I made you. I created you! You answer to me! Get back!"

From the bushes came an utterly vile and rejectful creature. Surely the gods of man wouldn't have allowed a monstrocity so disgusting to live. To continue to ilve.

It had the face of a man. Or rather, just barely so. The mouth was drawn into a permanent gape, and flopped limply as though the lower jaw had been removed. The forehead melted over its eyes, from which Emeka could barely glimse, black and beady. None of the whites. So it could see. So it could see so well at night even with its face partially concealed.

"You were a mistake!" growled Emeka. "You were supposed to die in your cage and rot! Move!"

It lumbered toward him, not on hands and feet, no. Its long neck, like that of a snake's, attached to a glob of a body. A glob filled with holes that oozed a diseased, yellow liquid, bubbling and boiling. Carrying it were insectoid legs.Million of them. As it moved out of the bushes further, it revealed that it had more of those globulous sections of its body. Bubbling. Crawling. Screaming.

There was no way for Emeka to run. The creature was so quick. They'd designed it that way.

He had designed it that way.

"God damn."

He'd found himself clamped in the jaws of the creatue before he could even try and make his escape. Not the human jaws- those were no longer there. He'd removed them. He remembered removing them from the man, still alive, on the operating table. He remembered what he'd replaced them with. Those mandibles that slithered out from the back of his throat, strong enough to crack a human skull.

Those same mandibles wrapped around his head, clamping his mouth shut, as it dragged him into the reeds.

As Emeka had staggered towards the lake, the waters had begun to stir. Ripples emanated outwards from a point just off the shore, and had he not shortly been distracted by the sudden assault of the oozing centipede-creature, he might have noticed the surface bulge, and the shape of a face begin to form.

When the creature had revealed itself, the face had splashed back into the water. Teo had been aware of the creature since it arrived - the lake was his domain, and all those who came to it were within his 'sight', as it were. But up until this point, it had not given him cause to eject it. Of course, it was unpleasant, but it had done no more harm than any other predator.

He had been unfortunately too late to warn this man off, however. Now he felt he had to intervene. As the creature clamped down on Emeka, he might have noticed a strange flow of water from the sands reaching his foot and rushing up his body. It climbed up his form until it reached his head, gathering there within the mandibles of the creature. And then, it sprayed outwards. A forceful jet of water directed itself into the thing's throat, causing it to drop Emeka to the ground. Before he hit the floor, more tendrils of water caught him, laying him gently to the sands.

Between him and the centipede, the air sparkled with droplets of water that swiftly began to converge on one another, steadily coalescing into the shape of a humanoid figure. When their glimmering light faded, there stood what appeared to be a young boy in his teens, blue-haired and pale-skinned. He seemed almost translucent in places, and was clad solely in shimmering currents of opaque water.

Teo stared the creature down without fear, before casting a cheerful smile over his shoulder to Emeka. "Do not be afraid!" he called, voice soothingly ethereal, "You won't come to harm on my shores, traveller."

He then turned his attention back to the centipede. "Get lost!" he demanded, water rising from the lake to swirl towards him, "Or I'll eject you myself!"

Emeka cringed into the ground as he gazed up at the figure standing in front of him. His hands pressed against the ground to sit him up, but he wasn't getting up.

He had spent so much time inside that damned labyrinth by himself, often sending his niece somewhere else so she wouldn't get tied up in everything. The only people he had dealt with were Sarka and her monsters, which came by and gave him the materials he needed to continue his work. They weren't friendly. They weren't good people. And the second he did encounter two kids who didn't intend to force him to do the devil's work, he had to hurt them. And then they'd resolved to kill him.

This must have been the first time in months that he'd met someone trying to help him.

The creature rose up on its half a million hind legs and screeched at the boy, confused and hostile. It darted forward, spilling its fluids all around, striking as quickly as a snake.

It was met with a cascade of water, barrelling into it with force enough to propel it entirely off the ground and several meters down the beach. Teo gathered more water from the lake, and again, sent it lashing out at the creature, not giving it any respite. He moved like a dancer, flowing with effortless motion reminiscent of a current of water himself. Each gesture blended seamlessly with the next, in tandem with the motion of the water.

"Kill the beast!" cried Emeka. "It's an abomination. It's unnatural!"

The creature slid in the sand, but didn't fall over. For such a wonky animal, it had surprisingly exceptional balance. It dropped to the ground and sped in a serpentine maneuver toward Teo, observing and dodging the lashes in a manner that hinted an intelligence beyond that of a simple animal, even if it couldn't be reasoned with. Once, twice it was struck, but it was hardy. A creature covered in its own stomach acids had to be.

Trying to get close enough to Teo, it opened its mandables and inflated its elastic throat like a croaking frog, filling a sack with venom that came spewing towards Teo and Emeka.

Reacting quickly, Teo brought his hands up in a swift gesture. The water swirling around him rose like a barrier and abruptly solidified into ice, blocking the venom off. He then swept his arms forwards, and the wall of ice liquified once more, rushing forwards to slam into the creature, splashing around it in a wave to once again push it off the ground. In the next moment, it was ice again, encasing part of the creature's body in a frozen tomb, suspending it in the air.

It thrashed unhappily, every leg spastically twitching as it tried to break free. Emeka grit his teeth.

"It was a man," he rasped at the boy. "Turned into a monster. It needs to die."

Ignoring Emeka for the moment, Teo walked forwards towards the immobile creature. His eyes were sad as he gazed upon its struggles, floating up through the air to come level with its face. "I'm sorry," he said to it, voice sorrowful, "All you know is pain, and hatred. You're blinded by it, you've lost who you used to be."

Sparkling water rose up from the lake to gather around the hovering spirit, and then snaked outwards to the writhing creature. Where the water touched, a soothing and numbing sensation spread through its body, until it was entirely coated in glimmering light. "The person you once were, they're in there somewhere. You know what you've become. I'm sorry that it has to be this way, but I think that it's what you want."

The human centipede glared at Teo from beneath its heavy brow, mandibles clacking at him... thoughtfully. It peered past the boy at the scientist behind him. It looked at Teo once again, and motioned toward Emeka with a low, hateful moan.

Emeka beat the ground with his fist. "Quickly end it! Please. Please!"

"I do this for who you were before," Teo said quietly. He moved forwards as a tendril of water snaked outwards and into the creature's mouth, shooting down its throat until it reached its chest. The water spirit gently cradled its head, and the water burst outwards. Spikes of ice pierced the creature's heart. He held it until it died, before gently lowering himself back down to the ground.

He turned to face Emeka, eyeing the man with distrust. "You said that you created it. You, then, are the one that turned it from man into monster?"

Something of a sigh escaped Emeka as the beast slumped over in death. He rested his head in his hands and slumped forward.

"I... I've done many things," he admitted, a weight in his voice of all the horrific things that had transpired in the last few months. "I hardly had a choice. You... you have to understand. I'm not a bad person!"

That's what he kept telling himself. Night and day. For the longest time.

Teo made his way over to where Emeka was slumped, kneeling down and placing a hand gently on the man's shoulder. "There will be time to talk about those things later," he said, "But you're injured. Let me help."

As he had done with the creature, Teo directed a gentle wash of water towards Emeka's injuries, to soothe and numb them. Where the water passed, after a few moments, it cleansed the infections that had been festering in the wounds.

"You should rest. You're safe here. Your body needs time to recover." he said, smiling. "I'll take you somewhere sheltered."

Water flowed out from the lake again to gather beneath Emeka, cradling him upon it and lifting him to follow Teo as the spirit drifted across the water's edge towards a small alcove in the lake's bank, where he laid him down upon a patch of moss.

Emeka looked around confusedly, then lifted his gaze to Teo. He lifted the bandages and frowned.

"Why?" he asked the spirit. "Why do this? What are you?"

"Because you needed help, silly." Teo replied with a bright smile, "I don't need any more reason than that, do I? My name is Teo, and I'm this lake's spirit. If someone turned up on your doorstep injured, would you not take them in to help them?"

The older man clenched his fists and broke his gaze with the spirit. He let out a sigh.

"Thank you," he said. Though, with everything he'd been through, he felt wary. Spirits had been known to be tricksters. That's what he'd heard. He never had a chance to make sure himself.

"There'll be more of them out there," Emeka said to him. "And... two boys. If they're alive, they'll be trying to find me."

From the inside of his shirt, he plucked a small vial, looking into it. Two eyes peered back at him. "It'll be bad if anyone finds me."

"Why is that?" Teo took a seat on one of the rocks in the alcove, watching Emeka curiously. "You said before that you had no choice, in turning that man into what he was. Tell me, what have you done? And how were you forced to do it? I would like to understand. And what is your name?"

The man juggled with the information he should be giving out. He'd only just met the boy. He had saved his life, but he had only just met him.

"I was threatened. My life, and the life of others, were on the line," he answered grimly. "I am Emeka. A geneticist in Wing City."

Teo nodded his head. "I understand, then. People will do terrible things to protect those close to them. But, perhaps you can yet redeem yourself?" he tilted his head, "Your situation suggests that things have not gone according to plan. You fled from something, or someone. Whatever bargain you made, does it still stand now?"

Emeka looked down again, at the vial. "I... I don't know," he said. "Something happened. But I don't know what. I don't think I'm scott free, but things have changed."

Teo thought for a moment. He wasn't clear on exactly what Emeka had meant by that, but he forged on. "Who threatened you? Why did they want you to make monsters?"

"Someone with a goal. You might know her name, you might not. I was told that, a century back, they were prominent in this world. Inkson. Sarka Inkson. I'm still not sure why. Ruling the world might be it. But that seems wrong."

"I haven't heard it before," Teo said, shaking his head, "But I'll remember it."

He paused to consider, "If you need a safe place, for yourself or for the other people who were threatened, then you can bring them here." he said, smiling. "Very few things can overpower me in my home. And I'd welcome the company. I don't get very many human visitors, and animals don't have a lot to talk about, usually."

Emeka smiled tightly. "I may take you up on your offer, but understand my hesitation. I've not been through the best times this past year. It's hard to put my trust in anyone right now. But thank you."

Teo nodded his head, "Of course. Now you should sleep. Your injuries will heal faster if you rest." he said, "Nothing will harm you while you're here."

Nodding, the wounded geneticist lay down. a hand covering his eyes. At least, if he was killed here by the spirit, it would be away from every nightmare he created himself.

He would be at peace.

As Emeka drifted off into sleep, Teo stepped away and quietly melted back into the lake. Of course, he was still there - but there was no point holding his human form when nobody was watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
as written by Script and Sentry

The present...

As Robin and Nairi made their way along the beach, they would find the corpse of the centipede creature still suspended in ice. It looked oddly peaceful. After a few moments longer, the water near the shore of the lake began to glimmer, and Teo rose from the waters, shimmering. The water of his form gradually went from transparent to his normal pale skin-tone, and the shimmering 'clothes' formed of luminescent water currents formed with him.

"Hello, there!" he said, smiling to the pair of them. "Don't be alarmed, I'm not going to hurt you. My name is Teo, I'm the spirit of this lake."

The wave of water he stood upon the crest of drifted forwards to deposit him daintily on the beach. "You're looking for a man named Emeka, aren't you?"

____

Robin blinked, looking towards the young man. He tilted his head to the side. "Uh, yeah," he said, frowning. "How do yoooooooou know that?"

He turned to look at Nairi, nudging him. "Another one of Sarka's... people?"

____

Upon discovering the frozen centipede, Nairi had suspected they wouldn't find Emeka alone - if at all. He hadn't had time to read the memories nearby before this one had come out of the lake, though.

"Doesn't seem to fit with her theme." Nari replied, eyeing the blue-haired boy with suspicion. "Where is he?" he demanded, "And what do you want?"

"He is here, but I will not take you to him." Teo replied, smiling apologetically. "Not whilst you intend to do him harm. I have spoken to him. I know why you're chasing him, at least some of the story. He has done things that should never have been done, but he is not an evil man."

He tilted his head, "Will you hear me out? And what are your names, if I may ask?"

____

Robin frowned more deeply. He was glad that Emeka was just another victim and not a villain in the whole scheme of things, but he didn't know about what Nairi was thinking. He felt that, perhaps, they shouldn't trust this other person so quickly, as much as he wanted to. He seemed really nice, and in a world filled with monsters and witches all trying to kill them, someone nice was really... um... well, nice.

"... R-Robin," he answered the boy.

As they spoke, Emeka stood as close by as he could without alerting them. He could only just hear them, but it was enough to make out what they were saying.

as written by Script and Moonscar

Nairi's eyes narrowed. "So we should just forgive him for attacking us, caging us to give to a witch that would have had us dead?" he hissed, shaking his head. "No, not that easy."

His nose twitched. "Know that he's listening. He knows what he put us through, and that's not half of what he did to those ... experiments." Nairi spat the word out like it was dirty. "Playing god over innocents isn't something that just gets forgiven."

Teo's expression went from a smile to a frown as Nairi spoke. "I know," he replied after a moment, "But is violent vengeance going to change any of that? Could you say that you wouldn't do awful things to protect the people you love?"

Robin's hands tightened into the fists. That question. That horrible question. He looked at the ground, clutching his hat with one hand. "The little girl," he said to Nairi. "He has a little girl."

Nairi looked as though he was about to burst a vein, his scowl was so intense. He turned to look at Robin for a moment, then back to Teo. Finally, he let out an angry yell of frustration and tossed his sword into the ground. The blade embedded itself in the sand and stuck there. He turned away, stalking several steps up the beach before closing his eyes and taking several deep breaths. "Fine." he said after a long pause. "No violence. Still need to see him, though. Have questions to ask. If he's so regretful, he can answer them."

Teo hesitated, his eyes drifting towards where Emeka was hidden. "That is his choice." the spirit answered, "But perhaps helping you might be a step towards atonement, if he wants to take it?" His voice was questioning, as though prompting the scientist.

Emeka ran his hand down his face, palm over his mouth. He couldn't trust the smaller child with the sword. The other child wasn't much of a worry, as far as he knew. And then there was Teo. If he could take care of the monster from last night, then he could take care of these children if things got too rough.

Silently, Emeka emerged from his hiding spot, approaching the group. He didn't have much to say just yet. Just looked at Nairi with a hardened, but weary face.

Nairi turned to face Emeka and locked eyes with him. For a moment he simply glared into the older man's gaze, his golden eyes searching for what lay behind them and seething with disdain. "Nothing to say for yourself?" he finally challenged.

Teo watched on in silence, ready to intervene if things got out of hand.

"There was nothing I could have done," said Emeka weakly, meeting the werecat's eyes. "I would have liked to save you both, but I'd of died in the act. Or Nanna would have died. I can't do much to raise her but I've kept her alive. You know the witch, don't you? She would have killed her without mercy."

"There are people you could have gone to." Nairi hissed, "Police - that's their job. Academies, even I can't break in there. Rolling over, doing what she wanted was not your only option. However you try and excuse it, you were a coward. Do you even know how many more of those... things," he swung an arm out at the centipede, "you created? That are now going to be taking out their suffering on innocents? On children just like your Nanna? Or how many Sarka will kill before she's done? Pah!"

Nairi spat on the sand between them, "If you want to not be completely worthless, you'll tell us what we want. Get your kid somewhere safe, then wait it out till the bitch is dead."

Emeka's eyes ignited with anger. "You wouldn't know!" he growled. "There wasn't going to anyone. I was trapped. You think I saw anything else besides that lab, the first two rooms of my house? With so many options, you think the witch might have covered all her tracks? What do you think is going on? I can't wield a sword. I can't fight! I can't do what you do. I'll help you if I can, but I can't go back into the city. I can't."

Nairi growled. "You could have tried. You had contact with the girl, the girl had contact with the outside. Gah!" he shook his head, "Not important now. Too late to undo. Fine."

The werecat took a deep breath. "Why did Sarka want you to make monsters? What's her goal? What is the liquid-orb creature, where is it and why is it so important?"

The man's wrinkles had wrinkles at this point. He reached inside his shirt, but hesitated. "I don't know. She spoke about a lot of things. About power. Domination. But..." His head shook. "It seemed too simple for her. I can't say I've gotten to know her, but she was around enough that I picked out some things about her. She's intelligent, just... mad. Something's driving her mad. I don't know what it is."

He took the vial out of his pocket, showing it to Nairi and Robin. Two eyes stared at them.

"... what! Burt?" cried Robin, running forward.

"All the research I've been conducting. The monsters. It's more than just that. She had me trying to perfect a formula. The girl with white skin was the closest I've gotten," said Emeka as Robin took hold of the bottle.

Nairi narrowed his eyes, "A formula to do what?" he asked, mind going back to the strange girl in the cage. She'd unnerved him, a lot. What had they been trying to achieve with her?

"A body. A weapon. Something mindless, but functional. Something that could be used. She wanted it to be powerful. I never did figure out why."

Robin quickly opened the bottle and turned it upside down, emptying its contents. Falling to the ground in a very large droplet, with a plop, was the frog-shaped Burt. With eyes. It cherruped happily at them.

There was a pause, as Nairi looked down at the small creature, then looked back at Emeka. He pointed at 'Burt'. "And this is it." he said, voice laced with disbelief. "What even ... is it?"

"An endless supply of ink," said Emeka grimly. "Growing as it consumes. It converts matter- any matter- into ink."

Nairi grimaced, "Ink. A power source. She must have something big planned. Otherwise would be easier just to buy it, steal it. But ... what? What can she do with that much ink?" He shook his head. He had very little understanding of 'ink magic' and as far as he had been able to tell, Kastner's knowledge was limited too. Not knowing what his enemy was capable of was... frustrating. "Gah. All of this time, spent figuring out what it was... doesn't even give us knowledge that helps in beating her."

He glanced back at Emeka. "Don't suppose you know where she operates out of? A home, a base of operations, a lair, anything?"

Emeka shook his head. "I've been in that labyrinth for almost a year. She didn't trust me enough to tell me all her plans. She only told me what she needed from me."

"Gah..." Nairi grimaced, pacing a few steps up the beach, then back. "Need ... something. Something to work with. Plans, goals, weaknesses... can't just keep flailing blindly in the dark and hoping we're hindering her." he muttered. He rubbed at his scalp, running over all their knowledge inside his head.

Sarka had promised the city to the monsters - Goulash, the fat one and the eel one. So she intended to take it, somehow, in some way. She needed an infinite supply of ink - not just massive, she could rob an ink store or buy it if she just needed a lot. But what was her goal? Her plan?

Nairi practically growled with frustration, "Can't figure her out!" he hissed angrily.

Robin reached his hand up to place it on Nairi's shoulder. "She can't be able to make a move too soon. We have Burt. Her plans are set back, right? So..."

"Keep it that way. Whatever it is, she can't go on without that creature," said Emeka.

Nairi nodded with a sigh. "Hate not being able to ... do anything, though. Just sitting and going to ground..."

He shook his head. "Will take it somewhere she won't get it. Store it safely. Then we can still react to what she does next without risking it being taken back."

"I don't think I could trust anyone else. I have no one else. I'll be trying to go to various other companies. Perhaps the Patronus. I'm not sure what it will come to. You're not the only one who's feeling helpless."

"Too far north, would take too long." Nairi said, shaking his head. "If we want to be here to try and figure out what her next move will be. Was thinking one of the Academies. They have artefacts, vaults. Are fortified, lots of mages. She won't be able to get it from there. We can take it. You ... do whatever." he waved a dismissive hand.

"We should get moving. The longer it's out in the open, the more chance she has to take it."

"I could hold onto it." Teo piped up after having been silent for the majority of the discussion, smiling. "I can sink it to the bottom of my lake, and protect it there. Almost nothing can get down there if I don't want them to."

Nairi shot Teo a suspicious look, "Only just met you, we have no reason to trust you."

"I... I trust him," said Emeka. "He saved my life. Sarka doesn't like water. You've discovered that, haven't you? There's no better place than the immediate safety of this lake. If you carry him off now, you run the risk of getting caught."

The werecat gave Emeka a sidelong glance, "Your vouching doesn't help much. Don't really trust you either." he said dryly, before turning his attention back to Teo.

"You want me to trust you? Give me something of yours. Something you have on you all the time." he said, holding out a hand.

Teo blinked, arching an eyebrow. He opened his mouth to question the reasoning, but decided against asking. It would probably be a better show of good faith if he just did it. He waved a hand, and the water behind him stirred. After a few moments, a small pebble rose from the depths, smooth and oddly tinted teal. It looked very different to the other rocks around the lake. "This is a stone from my former home. I brought it hear with me as a memento, and I normally carry it with me. The rest of the time it's in the lake, which is as much 'me' as this form is, most of the time."

Nairi nodded and took hold of the stone, before taking a seat cross-legged on the sand. "Give me a few minutes." he said, rolling it over in his hand for a moment before delving into its memories.

Robin rocked back on his heels, reaching down to pick up the now very heavy, somewhat large Burt. He was just able to do so, smiling up at both Emeka and Teo with the brightest grin. Everything was... mostly okay now.

"So why did you save him?" he asked Teo, glancing at the scientist.

Teo tilted his head curiously. "Because he needed help." he said, as though it were an incredibly obvious reason. "I had no reason not to."

Robin blinked. "So you just save people even if you don't know if they're bad?"

After thinking for a moment, Teo shrugged. "Yes, I suppose I do. But I would rather save the life of someone who deserved to die, than allow the death of someone who didn't." he explained.

The young man had to think on this for a moment, but he eventually came to agree. "I guess that makes sense," he said, eyeing Martin.

The scientist frowned, narrowing his eyes. "Yes?"

Robin shook his head, causing Emeka's frown to deepen.

"And what about the thing?" the boy asked Teo, pointing to the centipede. "You did that in pretty bad."

"I tried to calm it, but, it had lost its mind. In the end, I think that what it was before would have appreciated death. Just being alive for it was painful." Teo said, his voice sad. "I think it was a mercy."

Robin nodded again, almost sagely. "Are you going to do the same with all the others?"

"If they come here, and I feel as though it's necessary." Teo shrugged, "Maybe it's selfish, but I hope that not many find their way here. I don't like killing."

"Oh," Robin responded, looking down. He met Burt's eyes. The creature reached out a paw a chirped at him, causing the boy to smile. "Maybe we can draw them away."

Emeka turned his back to them, wanting nothing more than to leave. "They shouldn't. They'll be running rampant in the city, I'm sure. The WCPD will have their work cut out for them."

It was then that Nairi snapped back to reality, looking up from the pebble. He gave Teo a thoughtful stare for a few moments, before shrugging and nodding his head. "Okay. You guard it. Can't see any reason not to trust you." he said.

He turned towards Emeka, then. "Will Sarka know you've fled?" he asked, "What do you think she'll do when she finds out?"

"FInd me. Kill me. Or find Nanna," Emeka told the werecat. His wrinkles multiplied as his expression turned grim. "If... if you can find her..." he mumbled. "If you could find her and make sure she's safe..."

Nairi hesitated for a moment, before begrudgingly nodding. However much he disdained the scientist, the girl's life was in danger. It wasn't her fault her guardian had been doing horrific things. "Will find her." he said, before nodding to Robin. "We should move. Sarka might be weak now, but is only a matter of time before she regains enough strength to go after the girl. Could already have sent one of her monsters."

Teo smiled, "I'll keep your ink-creature safe." he said, "There's a temple on the island at the centre of the lake, that has chambers deep beneath the surface. I can keep it there."

He looked towards Emeka, "You're welcome to stay in the temple as well. I can keep you supplied with food from the forest."

Emeka nodded. "It'll be hard for any of them to get there. There're only a few experiments who can sqim. Fewer who can do it for long. I don't believe Goulash or the Viscera mage have a good way of doing it. We'd only need to worry about Nagara." He looked back at the boys. "Unless you two have already done away with them."

Nagara, the name rang a bell... from the vision of the warehouse. The woman with the snakes. "No, have only encountered her once. Before I knew anything about what was going on." Nairi said. "Goulash... killed it a lot of times. Probably isn't dead for good, knowing its ability to make copies. The fat one out there somewhere too. Haven't encountered it, only read about it in the news."

Teo shrugged, "Nothing can swim in my lake without me knowing of it, They wouldn't get far." he said, grinning. "I've fought off a lord of the plane of fire, I can handle a witch and her creatures."

"Let's hope that's right," said Emeka. "For your sake and mine. I didn't create the first three goons. I don't know if she has more of them helping her" He turned to glance at Nairi and Robin over his shoulder. "Good luck. You're probably our greatest assets in this fight. If you die, it'll be bad for everyone soon to be involved."

Nairi nodded his head solemnly, then turned to go. "Don't plan on dying any time soon." he said, "Too much unfinished business for that."

He snatched his sword up from the sand as he moved back towards the road into Wing City, pausing only to make sure Robin was following.

With a sigh, the boy dropped the ink creature, patting it on the head. "We're coming back, buddy. Promise," he said with a tight smile. Before he had even a chance to turn around, Burt let out a high croak and bounded over to Nairi, reaching out for his pant leg.

The werecat turned to arch an eyebrow at the creature, staring down at it. "Er... yes. Will be back." he offered after a moment's hesitation, "Stay here. Don't get stolen again."

Back on the beach, Teo giggled at the exchange.

Burt chirped again, then seemed to nod. With a bound, he made his way back to Teo and Martin, standing on its high legs. "Rrp?"

Robin tore himself away from the creature best he look, almost on the verge of tears. He drew his shoulders up next to his ears in a slouch beside Nairi.

Teo crouched down to Burt's level with a broad grin. "Hello there!" he exclaimed brightly, reaching out to pat the creature affectionately. "My name's Teo! I'm looking after you for now!"

Nairi glanced across at Robin as they moved away, frowning at his expression. After a moment he gently nudged the other boy to get his attention, offering him a tentative smile. "Will be alright," he said, "I- He'll be safer here. Is in good hands."

"Yeah, yeah..." groaned Robin. "We'd only just got him back, though!"

"Know where he is now, at least." Nairi offered with a small shrug, "Know he's safe. Will see him again when we bring the girl back here, too."

With a sullen nod, the young man sighed, "I hope he doesn't grow up too much while we're gone. We'll miss his first words!"

Nairi raised an eyebrow. "You're talking like it- he's our kid." he remarked with a small smirk.

Robin lashed his head back, planting a hand on his heart. "We've had him since he was a wee tadpole, Nairi! Are you talking like he's not?"

He barely hid a grin as he looked to the side, hat flopping over his eyes.

Taken aback, Nairi blinked at Robin before he looked down and away, red tinting his cheeks ever so slightly. "More like a pet." he mumbled almost inaudibly.

Robin pulled his hat down over his mouth, eyes peeking from over it. One eyebrow arched so high his brow creased.

"Better than nothing!" sang Robin, his cheeks rising in a snicker.

Nairi said nothing, stuffing his hands in his pockets and keeping his eyes averted. The slight blush remained - he was more embarrassed at the fact that he was blushing than anything else. It was undignified.

The immortal boy was all too pleased with himself, and as much as he wanted to continue teasing the werecat, there were other things that needed their attention.

"So we're going for the girl now? Is that the plan?"

Relieved at the subject change, Nairi nodded, regaining his composure. "Back to the scientist's apartment. If she's not there, will be able to trace her from there."

"I'd be surprised if she went back. We hadn't seen her before," said Robin. "I hope she's okay."

Nairi nodded. They'd have to move quickly - it wouldn't be long before Sarka figured out that Emeka had betrayed her, if she hadn't already. They were behind time. Thankfully, it wasn't far to the city from here. He just hoped that they were in time.

as written by Sentry and Script

Some time later...

Emeka wasn't fairing well.

Physically, he was healthy. Healed, more or less. His worries, however, lay heavily on his mind. He'd developed a book of new wrinkles and grey hairs. Constantly, he kept to the little cove where Teo had left him. There was fear in his eyes, not just for himself, but for the fate of Nanna.

If Sarka had figured it out before the boys got to her, she was dead. The thought kept him pacing. Even the return of... "Bert" did him no good.

The creature had taken to following Teo when he could, chirping his concern. In the past hour he seemed even more antsy.

____

Teo and the little creature were within the temple at the centre of the lake - or at least, that's where Teo's manifested body was. In truth, he was present throughout the entire lake. He could see Emeka, the fish darting through the water, and the wildlife on the banks. True to his word, though, he'd taken Bert through to the temple's inner sanctum, where he would be safe from any attempts on Sarka's part to retrieve him.

The temple was accessible only via a hidden tunnel on the banks of the island in the lake, which was submerged the majority of the time, only revealed during low tide. The sanctum itself was located at the temple's heart, at the end of a maze of corridors, closed doors and dead ends.

"What's the matter?" Teo asked the chirruping creature, tilting his head questioningly.

____

The creature opened its mouth and let out a low, rolling bark. Its eyes were at the entrance, though it was far beyond the entrance that he was looking towards.

Upon the bank of the lake was a woman. She was a stranger only to Teo here, as Emeka and the boys would have easily recognized the filthy old coat that she swathed herself in and the clumsy, broken way she walked, as though her legs couldn't support her completely. She meandered into the water and never stopped, even as she was fully submerged.

____

Teo snapped up straight. "I see her." he said, and in the next instant, he was gone, splashing into the shallow water that filled the temple.

Outside, only a few seconds later, the water in front of Nagara shimmered. The outline of the water spirit formed within the water, and he gestured towards her. The woman would find herself swiftly rising, as the water around her gained pressure and rose in a current, until it had entirely lifted from the surface of the lake in a sphere around her.

Teo himself emerged from the water a few moments afterwards, the water rising up to form his body, his hand outstretched towards the sphere. "Who are you?" he called, "This lake and that which lies within it are under my protection. You can't come any further."

____

The woman, at first, did nothing. An eerie motionlessness took over her and she let herself float within the sphere, hair like seaweed moving out of her face to reveal a face aged by abuse, lips scabbed and scarred in patterns that suggested a needle and thread were the culprit, skin splotched in blacks, reds, yellows that marred what might have once been a pretty face.

And yet, more disturbingly, the dark line that cracked from her hairline down her neck, chest, and abdomen. Something that was far less natural. A screech tore through the bubble, though the woman hadn't once opened her mouth.

Dots peeked from the center of that line in the woman's body, little reflections that seemed few in number at first, and grew as the chasm opened, letting the can of worms empty forth and reach for the spirit, mouths gaping and teeth snapping.

____

Teo darted aside as the eels shot from the sphere, skating along the surface of the water effortlessly to circle around the floating orb of water. He began to move his arms in a fluid circular motion directed towards the watery prison as he moved, and in response, the water began to grow cold and shift into ice.

It wouldn't be long before the entire orb of water was frozen solid with Nagara inside it, unless she was able to break free.

____

The eels kept spilling forth from the crevice even as the prison froze. Those that escaped writhed, but fell short just before their jaws could clamp around Teo. Those within grew and grew, some splitting their heads with the pressure against the ice, until the prison began to crack and fall away in a small fountain of red.

It was then that the eelheads grew, not in size, but considerable number, like the many-headed hydra of myth, expanding around their host in search of Teo.

____

Seeing the prison breaking, Teo frowned. After a moment of thought, he lowered his hand, and allowed the orb to drop into the water of the lake. As it was submerged beneath the surface, he too dropped down, once more becoming little more than a shimmering outline in the water. The ice melted away, freeing the eels, but with Teo seemingly as insubstantial as the water around him, it remained to be seen whether they could actually harm him.

In the meantime, the water of the lake flowed at his command. A current pushed its way through the eels towards the crack in Nagara's chest - more exploratory than forceful, aimed to figure out what exactly the nature of the apparent portal was.

____

Like a swarm of angry piranha, the eels searched, devouring much of anything they found in their way, had anything not tried to stop them. From his safe alcove, Emeka watched with fear. He had not made this beast, but he knew of her power. Seen much lost to her hunger.

What he did not know was what Teo dared to explore- the portal within the creature lead to something else entirely. Somewhere alien and bizarre. Immediately on the other side were the same eels Teo saw spilling forth into his world trying to swim through, and beyond that, a space filled with thick black waters. The surface was not so far, but even there was inhabited by the eels. Every crevice, every spot was inhabited by them, and not every one alive. Carcasses rotted in the water, eels cannibalized one another in desperate hunger, and not even the largest of them, coiled around mountains in the distance, were safe from the sheer numbers of their kin.

It was a world fueled by hunger, and nothing else.

____

Teo's mind reeled back in horror away from the world 'within' Nagara, horrified by what he saw. His water had touched that black sea, and for a moment he had felt it all. The water spirit lashed out reflexively, and the currents around Nagara intensified, gathering her up like a ragdoll and casting her up and out of the water to the shore, like the lake itself had spat her out in disgust.

He himself soon followed, rising from the lake upon a swirling torrent of water. "I don't know what you are," he yelled, "but I know that you are filled with wrongness!"

As he yelled, he swept a hand forwards and sent a cascade of water down towards the woman, blasting into the eels coming from her midsection. Those creatures ... whatever they were, they had no minds. They had no souls. He had no qualms in ending them.

Again, the water began to solidify into ice, encompassing the writhing eels with the aim of the intense cold killing them, their own frozen bodies preventing more of them emerging.

____

It had been the first time since the beginning that Nagara had screamed. Her body convulsed when the eels froze, causing the flow to abruptly halt as it had never done before. The pressure within her body was immense, it was... as though she were exploding from within. The eels that were frozen died, fell limply to the ground. All at once, the woman fell silent. Out of absolutely nowhere.

Slipping away in that black ooze from the split down her middle were the bitten and severed remains of the frozen eels, spat out from the other side of the portal.

Emeka didn't dare move. He couldn't even breathe. What had caused the boy to react in such a fashion so suddenly?

____

Teo looked down at Nagara with a frown, looking the woman over. Whatever she was, it was clear that she had little left to her mind. Just as the centipede creature had lost its humanity, if she'd had any, it was gone. Having those creatures within her... nothing could endure that and remain sane.

If he didn't deal with her, was it possible that the corruption of that world could infect his home? That black sea spill forth into it?

He couldn't allow that.

The water spirit descended to the beach where Nagara lay, sweeping his arm around in a fluid motion to gather the water around her, lifting her form into the air in its spiralling embrace. Closing his eyes, he directed the water towards her mouth just as he had with the centipede, and sent it down her throat, into her body towards her heart, to grasp it tightly in an icy grip and stop it.

____

Nagara writhed as she was lifted, now realizing the immanent danger that was posed to her. She held one hand out to the spirit, head lashed to the side, and yelled "No!"

Emeka's eyes shot open. Not once had he ever heard the woman speak a comprehensible word. He thought she was either mute, or a creature that solely did what Sarka told it to. His interest peaked, he came forth from his safe haven, looking up at Teo. If he hadn't done the deed too quickly, the man tried to halt him.

"Wait. Wait, Teo!"

____

When Nagara spoke, Teo halted the movement of the tendril in surprise, though Nagara remained held in the air by the swirling current. "You can speak?" he questioned, "What... how? What I saw within you ... how can you possibly withstand it? What are you?"

He shuddered - literally, ripples rolling across him, before glancing at Emeka. "Be careful. That ice won't hold forever. The creatures will break out again."

____

Emeka kept his distance. Even though the woman had intelligence, it didn't mean she wasn't dangerous. But what if she was a victim?

"I'm not coming any closer. Just... do not kill her yet."

The woman curled up to her best ability where she was, hands clasped over her face. She was cowering. "Put her down."

____

Teo hesitated, but it seemed for the moment that the woman had ceased her offensive. He gently lowered her to the floor, and the water around her began to shimmer soothingly, emitting calming and numbing pulses through her body.

"Speak to us," Teo said, his voice soft and calm, a sharp contrast to the outburst he'd had when he felt the horror within her. "Who are you? How did you come to be like this?"

____

She made no attempt to move. Her body was limp within the water, hair drifting in ringlets around her face. The distance in her eyes seemed incomparable- as though she'd floated away already, to that horrid red land with the eels.

"You know my name," she whispered, black beads of eyes aiming toward the sky. Her fingers swam through the water, towards her stomach, to the seam at her middle. She traced it delicately. "A tradition," she told the men around her. "It is an honor."

____

"An honour?" Teo repeated incredulously, "What they have done to you is horrific! Those ... horrifying monsters can be nothing but evil. All they want is to eat, to feed. They know nothing else, nothing but hunger and death."

He shook his head, looking toward Martin. "What can we do? If I release her, she will cause more death, will she not? And I can't help her. Whatever magic is inside her, it's not something I can fix."

____

Martin was speechless. He fumbled for words, but Teo spoke the truth. He opened his mouth for an excuse, but-

"She promised," whispered Nagara. "To take them from me."

____

"Ir abelas, Asha'Len. Nadas halam." Teo whispered sorrowfully, "Shae fa Asha'Harellan. I am sorry. She lied to you. I do not think that any could free you of your curse in such a way that would leave you alive at the end of it."

____

"You do not know if she lies," spat Nagara. "You do not know of her kindness."

"Her kindness? Sarka had me experimenting on children!" growled Emeka.

"She regrets."

"No."

____

"Dirthara ma! Ar lun hae inan, Asha'len. What have you seen of her, that makes you think she could grant your wish? What have you seen of her to make you think she is kind?"

Teo shook his head, turning to stare down the beach at the centipede creature still frozen in ice there. "That is not kindness, Asha'len." he said sadly, "That is cruelty."

____

"I know more of cruelty than you," she whispered, running her hand over her face, over her eyes. "You do not live such desperate lives."

____

"And I am sorry for you, Asha'len," Teo said, and the sorrow was clear in his voice and eyes - seemingly he was genuinely moved by Nagara's plight, "But to spread more cruelty, that is not the answer. That is the work she sets you to. Cruelty, killing. You can be more than that, Asha'len."

He drifted closer to her, laying a gentle semi-corporeal hand upon her where the ice kept the eels at bay, intensifying the soothing pulses where he touched. "You can be more than the hunger and hate that dwells within you." he whispered.

____

"How?" whispered the creature. "It is not possible without her."

Martin crossed his arms and looked at the ground. His hand slid down his face. "Teo, didn't you, yourself, just say she was hopeless?"

____

"Choose to make it stop, Asha'lin." Teo whispered, gently cupping her cheek in one hand. "In ending it, you can be beautiful in memory. You can live on as she who chose to end the cruelty, not spread it."

"Na'elga enansal'in. Your body may be cursed, but your soul shines through. Let it free, Asha'lin. You must choose it."

____

Martin stepped forward, holding a hand up. "Teo. Teo," he roared. "That's preposterous. You don't just ask someone to off herself- gah. She's confused and manipulated. There's got to be another way to help her. I..."

____

"I cannot contain her curse forever, Martin." Teo responded coolly. "How many more will suffer at her unwilling hand? How long will she suffer? All I know of magic tells me she would not survive the portal's closure, no matter the means used. She is a vessel now, and it is only a matter of time before a vessel is all she is." he went on, voice growing agitated. "Let her be the one to speak."

He turned his attention back to Nagara then. "What say you in answer, Asha'lin?" he asked.

____

Death.

She'd thought about it many times before, but it was a terrible fear of hers. The consequences were too great. However, at this point, did those consequences still exist as they did then?

Death. An end to everything. To life, to the things she loved, to all the things she knew and all the things she wanted to know. To the things she yearned and saw destroyed before her eyes.

An end to the things she did, that she would do. An end to suffering and cruelty and manipulation.

Nagara's eyes closed slowly and let it sink in. She could finally just end it all.

"She'll find another," she told Teo. "After I die another will be chosen."

____

"Not if she's stopped," Teo frowned, "Where would she find another? How was this done to you?"

There were so many questions to ask. His understanding of the girl's curse was practically nil, and her answers were vague and confusing. "Tell us how we might end the cycle, that you can be free and no others suffer in your stead.

as written by Sentry and Script

Nagara let her head fall to the side so she could look at Teo. "A village... on a little moving island in the sea closest to Ungarra. There is a tradition to keep... to keep the village safe... to curse one and throw them into the world..." Her eyes closed again. "You would have to kill them all."

____

"How does this keep them safe?" Teo questioned, "A sacrifice? To prevent what?"

____

"... I'm not the only... portal... for them," she hissed through her teeth. She moved as though to arch her back out of pain. The ice began to crack. "They'll empty into this world without a host..."

____

"Where is the other? How soon would they emerge?" Teo's brow furrowed with concentration, reinforcing the ice with fresh spirals of water. "The resourcefulness of this world is not to be underestimated. A way would be found to stop them."

____

"In the village... it must be destroyed..." Nagara squirmed, and the ice continued to crack. The split down her middle, though frozen, began to redden beneath the ice. Her skin rippled with movement. "Please..."

____

"I will see it done," Teo whispered, "May you find peace in the next life that was denied to you in this one."

His arms rose in a swift and precise gesture, circling fluidly around as he turned on the spot, bending his knee and drawing his hands together with violent suddenness. Two tendrils of water rose from the lake beside him and lashed for Nagara. They scythed straight through her neck, cleanly severing her head from her body in an instant, the water held with enough surface tension to cut like blades.

As her head hit the beach Teo lowered his arms and straightened, his expression grimly solemn. He only hoped that the girl's death would put an end to the portal, too.

____

Martin winced at the sudden, violent movement, turning away from the scene. He simply couldn't manage those kind of sights anymore.

When Nagara's body was decapitated, several eels broke the ice and, more swiftly than one would think to react, curled around the carcass and devoured one another until they disappeared completely within the portal, which consumed itself as well. Only her head was left.

The doctor grimaced and shoved his hands in his pockets. "Just a village of them left to do that do, hm? Is that your plan now, Teo?"

____

"No," Teo said, closing his eyes. "Another way will be found. I just have to find the right people to do it."

It was at that moment that a jeep roared up on the small track leading from Westeria to the lake, skidding to a halt in the dirt. Its driver was a woman with short brown hair, and its passengers three faces that were familiar to Martin.

"Here we are, one uneventful drive through Westeria," Elaina said, smiling over her shoulder at the boys and young girl in the back seats.

"Do you always drive so ..." Nairi began.

"Aggressively? Yeah. Sorry," she laughed, "I'm a terror behind the wheel. Always have been. I've never been in an accident, though, so I must be doing something right."

Nairi sighed, glancing across at Robin for a moment before shaking his head and hopping out of the car. The drive from Celestia had, thankfully, been uneventful. As he stepped out into the air, however, he took a breath in and froze. "Eel girl," he hissed, casting his eyes around warily until they settled on where Martin and Teo were standing, with Nagara's head clearly visible.

"Oh," he said, surprise evident in his tone.

____

The young girl in the car burst out without a thought, sprinting toward Martin like a freight train. At first, the scientist wasn't sure what was coming at him, but then he heard a familiar, high-pitched, "Uncle Martiiiiiin!"

The reunion nearly toppled Emeka onto the ground. When he regained his balance, he reached his arms around the girl, tightly as though to never relinquish his grip. "Nana... you..."

Meanwhile, Robin hopped out of the car beside Nairi, staring down the decapitated head. He frowned and pointed, eyeing Teo after.

____

Fortunately perhaps, for Nairi and Robin, Elaina had not spotted the head. She rolled down her window and gave them a nod, "Sorry, but I've got to shoot off. I have a class after lunch period I need to be back for," she called before revving off once more towards the city.

Teo smiled warmly at the reunion between Martin and Nana, turning to wave at Nairi and Robin. "Welcome back!" he called cheerfully, "I'm glad you found her."

Nairi descended towards the lake's beach, raising an eyebrow. "You killed eel girl?"

The naiad's expression shifted to a frown. "Yes. She attacked us here, looking for your egg. It's better for her this way."

"Hmph," Nairi nodded, "Least we don't have to deal with her anymore." He supposed that he shouldn't have been surprised. He'd seen what the lake spirit had done to that centipede creature. The werecat made a mental note to remain wary despite Teo's disarming friendliness.

____

Robin walked up to the head of Nagara, staring into cold, dead eyes. He knelt down next to it, eyes narrowed, but not with a frown. After a moment, he straightened up, hands in his pockets, and walked back to Nairi. The immortal boy planted both hands upon his hat and adjusted it.

"So... what now?"

____

Nairi bit his lip. "Good question," he noted with a frown. "No clue where Sarka is."

His eyes wandered to Nagara's head again. "Can follow her trail. If Sarka sent her, she must have come from where Sarka has been... might not lead to anything, since she can use portals, but it's better than nothing."

Teo frowned, "You're leaving again straight away?" he asked, "You should rest! Your little friend will no doubt be happy to see you." The water spirit smiled, glancing towards the centre of the lake.

____

Robin perked up with a great smile. "Burt!" he exclaimed. He rushed toward the water willingly, just as though he hadn't seen a corpse's head rolling around.

Nanna turned around from her embrace with Martin and ran over to them. "What friend?"

____

Nairi sighed, "But the trail-" he began to protest, but Robin had already run towards the lake. The werecat groaned in exasperation. They couldn't afford to delay too long. Sarka had plans in motion, and every day that passed without them finding her was a day closer to their completion.

He stalked after Robin, intent on continuing to protest, when a great roar sounded overhead. Nairi turned to look back, towards the city, and his eyes widened.

A great flaming dragon barrelled out from the outskirts of the city at a breakneck pace, fire pouring from its maw towards the landscape below. It was pursued by what looked like a massive spacecraft.

And it was coming straight for them.

He opened his mouth to yell, but Teo called out first. "Get to the water!" the spirit cried, "All of you! I can protect you, but you have to get into the water!"

Nairi hated water. He hated being burned alive more, though.

He ran.

He didn't stop when he passed Robin. The boy was standing gawping at the sky like a moron. Nairi grabbed his arm and, with uncanny strength, practically tackled him into the water. It was a blessing that he'd already been by the lake's edge. The water was cold as they hit the surface, and for a moment he was disoriented as the unpleasant sensation soaked in, bubbles cascading around him. It reminded him too much of his fight with Sarka beneath Martin's apartment. It reminded him too much of almost dying. Without noticing, his grip on Robin's arm tightened, like he were clinging to a lifeline.

After a moment, he kicked back to the surface with a gasp. He wasn't exactly sure what he'd expected to happen. Now they were moments away from being incinerated, and wet.

On the shore he could see the water spirit standing in the shallows, waiting for Martin and Nana to reach the water. Nairi just hoped whatever the boy was planning worked.

____

Martin and Nana were already rushing into the water without the gaping hesitation that Robin had. The boy himself was now face down in the lake, struggling to get his head up.

____

"Hold your breath!"

As Teo's voice echoed in the ears of everyone in the water as though he were beside them, the spirit rushed to the shore and melted into the water. Nairi's eyes widened and he took a hurried, gasping breath as suddenly a strong current formed around them and with scarcely a moment's pause, dragged them beneath the surface.

He barely registered the intense flash and heat of the fire scoring across the surface of the lake, as the current pulled and twisted them down and towards the lake's centre at incredible speeds. His grip on Robin's arm became almost vice-like with panic, and he kicked futilely to try and regain control.

As suddenly as they'd been dragged under, they were spat up. With a cascade of shimmering water, the four were deposited on a stone surface without ceremony, dripping wet. Nairi gasped, spitting out water and coughing furiously.

They'd been transported into the Island temple's underwater shrine, and dim blue light from a number of crystals was all that illuminated the room. Martin had been here before - it was the safe haven where he was able to sleep without worrying that Sarka would find him, and where Burt was stored away.

A few moments later, Teo reformed upon the pool of water that led down and out into the lake via a tunnel. "I'm going back out. The forest is burning, I have to help. Stay here, you'll be safe and I'll know if anything else tries to get in."

Without waiting for a reply, he vanished into the water once again.

____

Robin felt as though every orifice of his face was now draining water. He was hacking and coughing up a storm, the same as Nairi, for several long minutes. Exhausted, he rolled onto his back, wheezing.

Nana was the same, but Martin had taken this trip before. He had the girl in his arms, trying to push the water from her lungs.

____

Shivering, Nairi pushed himself up onto all fours, his face pale.

He looked across to where Martin and Nana were, but seeing that the man had the girl cared for, he shuffled over so he could slump against the wall of the room and pull his knees up to his chest.

"Hate water," he muttered.

____

Robin wiped his nose, then looked over Nairi's direction. "Har-har. A cat who doesn't like water. That's a big surprise." He tried to laugh, but ended up in a fit of coughing. He curled up, head between his knees.

Recovering, he looked out to the entrance. "What happened back there?"

____

Nairi shot Robin a bitter glare. "No idea," he muttered. "Some sort of dragon. Not going back out to check any time soon."

Rising to his feet, he grimaced, unclipping his now sodden cloak and tossing it aside. "What is this place anyway?" He cast his eyes around at the chamber they were in. It was damp, and the walls and floor were both formed of stone blocks tinted blue by the light of the crystals. A single door in the back wall led further into the temple.

He glanced across at Martin, "You've been down here. What is it?"

____

As Nanna began to calm down, Martin looked toward Nairi, then down the path to the door. "All I know is that it's a temple. I haven't explored very far. Your friend might have more of an answer than myself."

Hearing the conversation, the sneaky devil himself slunk through the doors, quite unlike what he had been before. His body was slick and svelte as a slug's, with three pairs of lizardlike appendages sticking from the sides of his body, guiding him along. His head was shaped like a diamond, supported by a thick, long neck. The only unmistakable trait about the inklet were his eyes.

Robin's eyes widened as Burt neared them and sat on his haunches like a dog. He grinned from ear to ear, tail lashing back and forth.

____

Nairi stared at Burt for several long moments, his own eyes just as wide, before he said anything.

"Great," he groaned, "Bet it eats ten times as much now. And if it tries to lick me, might throw it in the lake."

Shaking his head, Nairi stalked towards the door. "Going to get out of these wet clothes," he muttered, slinking through into the main chamber of the temple.

The central room was much larger than the little underground cave that held the underwater access to the structure. Its ceiling was high, arced, and smooth, seemingly formed of worked stone as opposed to hewn from the rock. The walls were lined with more of the crystalline 'torches' that cast the chamber in the eerie blue light of the rest of the temple. A number of the sections of wall held small alcoves, wherein tarnished metal bowls that might once have taken offerings lay beside empty incense-holders.

There were no pues, but in their stead a number of shallow pools were arranged in a similar formation, deep enough to kneel in and have one's waistline roughly level with the ground. The water within was pure and clear, despite seemingly being still and without a flow to keep it clean of gathering refuse. At the front of the room stood a stone altar affixed with a deep marble basin. The basin itself was empty, and a number of tarnished goblets and cups rested on the altar beside it.

Four doorways led out of the room. One, Nairi had entered through. One lay in the left and right walls, opposite one another, and a final door stood behind the altar. Nairi slipped through the room without spending long to consider its layout, weaving past pillars that lined the edges of the room and slipping through the doorway behind the altar. The door itself had long since surrendered to decay.

It led into a small room that he guessed had once been some sort of preparation chamber. Inside lay the rotten remnants of a number of cabinets, and some rusted and tarnished metallic implements - chimes, rods and bells primarily, though there were some other items that Nairi didn't recognise. He paid them little mind.

Without ceremony, he pulled his sodden clothing off and tossed it aside - he'd find somewhere to dry it later. When he had, he shifted, shrinking down to his cat shape. If cats had been able to grimace, he would have done, as he remained sodden even in this shape.

And so, he set about licking himself dry. Or something approaching it, anyway.

It had been several weeks now since Nairi and Robin departed Lake Aranai, bidding farewell to Teo and the others and taking to the road. In the days following the aschen attack on Westeria, the two of them - along with Martin and Nana - had taken shelter in the temple beneath the lake. It had quickly become apparent that whatever had happened, Westeria had been decimated.

Great towering forests covered much of the city centre, a swirling portal to who-knew-where hung ominously in the sky, and innumerable alien creatures roamed the streets, pulled from other dimensions and worlds like some sort of pick'n'mix of disasters waiting to happen.

In the wake of the chaos, Sarka was nowhere to be seen. Indeed, her plans seemed altogether... small, compared to what had transpired.

Once it became apparent that the witch had gone to ground, and the evacuation of the city's populace was in full swing, the boys realised there was little reason for them to keep chasing her. Whilst, yes, she was dangerous... she was far from the only dangerous being out there, and her immediate plans had been well and truly rendered redundant. That was not to mention that they had no means of tracking her now.

And so, they had been at something of a loss, until word arrived borne by a grouchy little imp sent by Kastner - the mage who had aided the two before.

From the imp, they had learned of the events to the west of the city. An entirely new landscape had been born, apparently annihilating an entire swathe of the midlands in the throes of its creation and replacing the towns and cities there with an entirely different civilisation. Such a cataclysmic event had, of course, been worthy of observation. Kastner's initial scouts of the region had brought back news of something that he thought relevant to the young werecat.

A caravan bearing a familiar insignia had been spotted entering the new region - an abstract representation of drake with jagged wings, its serpentine body curved in the shape of the letter 'S'. .

____

Two weeks earlier...

The breeze tousled Nairi's hair where he sat perched on the rocky island at the centre of Lake Aranai. He'd swept out of the temple without a word after being handed the parchment on which the symbol had been drawn, leaving Robin and the others behind.

He drew his knees up closer to his chest. The night was cold, but not as dark as was natural. The land was cast in an ominous purple glow by the swirling portal over Westeria, no more than a few miles to the east. The stars were nowhere to be seen.

The parchment was crumpled in his pocket, and in his hand he thumbed over a small metal object. Golden eyes stared out across the water.

He didn't look back at the sound of footsteps approaching behind him.

Robin's breath was ragged, having sped up the steps of the temple until he reached the top. Once he saw the catboy ahead, he slowed, one hand grasping his chest.

"Nairi!" he called, placing a hand on his friend's shoulder. "What's wrong? Why did you just...?"

At first, the werecat said nothing, scarcely reacting to the touch. After a long moment, though, he sighed and looked up at Robin. "The symbol..."

"What about the symbol?" Robin pressed.

Instead of speaking further, Nairi simply reached into his pocket and handed Robin the crumpled parchment. The drawing on it was easily recognisable as the same symbol represented by the trinket that Nairi had shown him on the first day of their meeting. The insignia from his past, that he'd never been able to divine. He looked away while Robin examined the paper, staring into the water.

Robin cradled the paper delicately in the palm of his hand. He looked up at his friend and closed his hand around the symbol.

"This... this is...?" He looked back at the symbol again. "They found a caravan. Nairi, isn't this something you should follow?"

"I... don't know." Nairi continued to fiddle with the insignia restlessly. "Don't know what to expect. What I might find. What if I'd been better off not knowing? Bad memories better left buried."

He looked up at Robin briefly, indecision and uncertaintly clearly painted across his face.

After a moment, he broke eye contact and looked away.

The young man opened his hand and glanced thoughtfully. After a moment, he reached for Nairi's hand, then stuck the paper there. "And what if it's something you're supposed to remember? What if there's other things that need to be dug up? Even if it's bad... you can still move forward! You already have, once."

"Only because I don't remember." Nairi grimaced. "Mostly. Sometimes ... you saw what I was like when Martin caught us. Clearly haven't completely moved past it, if I can't handle a stupid cage."

Robin grit his teeth, remembering how the catboy broke down in the labyrinth, surrounded by cages, then promptly stuffed within one.

"So... maybe that's why you need to follow this," he countered. "This is how you're finally going to put it in the past." The boy reached for Nairi's hand, grasped it tightly within his own. "And I'm going to follow you. Every step."

Nairi stared back at Robin in surprise, left speechless for several long moments. Though it was barely perceptible in the low light, a flush of red came to his cheeks and he lowered his eyes again.

"Maybe you're right. But..." He trailed off, biting his lip. He was too prideful to finish that sentence, though it could likely be inferred by his tone.

But I'm scared.

"You... you'd really follow me?"

"Until the day I can't walk. Then I'll just die and start over again," he replied with a grin.

"That's... dumb." Nairi mumbled, but he was smiling. "Idiot. But... thanks."

Robin couldn't help but return the smile. He let go of Nairi's hand and swung his arm around the catboy's neck. "So. When do we start?"

Nairi caught himself almost subconsciously leaning into the taller boy, briefly going rigid. Then, in a turn that was as unexpected to he himself as it likely was to Robin, he did it anyway.

"Dunno. Tomorrow, maybe. Long way to travel," he murmured, shrugging.

Robin bumbed noggins with the catboy, eyes gleaming with frightening amounts of determination. He pointed to the horizon.

"We grasp tomorrow with an iron fist! Claw. Whatever!"

Nairi let out a quiet snort of laughter, shaking his head slightly. "Ridiculous..."

"THIS IS A SERIOUS ENDEAVOR, NAIRI! Don't make fun of it!"

"Sure. Serious." Nairi smirked. "Whatever you say." The werecat sighed, content to snuggle up to Robin and let his friend continue to ramble as he pleased.

Tomorrow carried daunting prospects. But that was tomorrow. For the moment, he would simply enjoy the now.

It was a cool morning when the sun finally rose over the lake. Once more, Nairi found himself atop the island, looking out on the view and lost in thought. Last night had certainly been... eventful. To learn of his former captors’ locale after so long spent wilfully avoiding looking into it was jarring. The prospect of hunting them down filled him with the same sense of dread that had deterred him from investigating for so long.

But now, he was no longer alone. A small smile crept its way onto his face as he thought of Robin, a warmth building in his chest. It had been half a year since they’d met. When they’d first come together, he would never have imagined letting the infuriating boy get this close. He would have considered it stupid, foolish, and above all: weak.

Was it still those things? Probably. Maybe it wasn’t the last one. He found he no longer cared either way.

The sound of ripples drew his attention outwards to the surface of the lake, where a humanoid figure was rising from the water. Teo smiled as his features fully formed, waving to the werecat. “Good morning!” he called, drifting towards him. “You’re awake very early. Are you planning on leaving so very soon?”

Nairi rose an eyebrow. “You know?”

“I told you before, I see all that the lake sees. And hear all it hears.” The water spirit smiled bashfully. “I thought it better not to interrupt you two, though.”

Cheeks flushing red, Nairi averted his eyes and made a point of fiddling with the hem of his cloak. “Don’t know what you mean. “ He muttered.

Teo tilted his head. “I’ve found that mortals usually prefer to be alone during such moments of closeness. You looked happy.”

“Well...” Nairi seemed poised to offer another rebuttal, but stopped himself. “...thanks, I guess. Anyway. Yes. Going to leave as soon as Robin is awake.” He paused. “Thanks, for letting us stay. Protecting us.”

“Thank you for lending me your company for so long,” Teo smiled softly. “You will come back and visit, won’t you?”

“Sure,” Nairi nodded. “Probably.”

By this time, Robin had woken up and was making his way up the stairs toward the lakeside. Once he spotted Nairi and Teo, he trotted the rest of the way.

He rubbed his eyes and yawned, not quite as bushy-tailed as the catboy. "I didn't know tomorrow meant this early..." he groaned. He gave Teo a groggy smile. "Morning."

"Good morning!" Teo smiled cheerily, apparently entirely unphased by the hour. Did water spirits even sleep?

Nairi smirked and glanced over his shoulder. "Lazy," he remarked with a nod. "We're travelling on foot, so daylight counts for more."

The werecat patted the pack that was laid on the ground beside him, filled with belongings salvaged from his apartment in Westeria earlier in the month. "Got everything you want?"

Robin jangled the backpack that was swung over his shoulder. "Everything I'll need. Like you said, we're travelling on foot."

"Then guess it's time to go." Nairi pushed himself up to his feet in a single movement, nodding his head and slinging his own pack on.

"Oh! So quickly." Teo blinked, looking momentarily disappointed before his smile returned. "Well, goodbye then. I hope you find what you're looking for. I will take good care of Burt for you, and make sure he isn't taken by the witch!"

"Make sure he gets lots of belly rubs!" Robin demanded, almost seriously. "He might come looking for us if you don't."

Teo giggled. "Of course!"

Nairi rolled his eyes. He still didn't understand Robin's affection for the little creature. "Bye, Teo. Thanks again." The werecat nodded his head in a gesture of respect, turned to take a step, then paused.

"... ah. Do you mind helping us-"

"Oh, no problem!" Teo laughed again, waving a hand towards the shore. As he did so, the water rose in an unnatural way, forming itself into a glistening platform.

Hesitantly, Nairi tested it with a poke of his boot. It was solid. "Thanks." He grinned, before setting off across the water bridge.

Robin hopped onto it without Nairi's caution. He felt himself skid an inch and wobbled his arms until he was still.

He saluted to Teo with a grin. "We'll come back soon. Try not to adopt too many vagrants while we're gone!"

"Bye!" Teo waved enthusiastically as they departed. It wasn't long after they reached the shore and began to move into the trees that he was gone from sight.

Nairi fell back into step beside Robin, arms folded behind his back. They had a long trip ahead of them, and almost an entire country to search for their mark.

It was like he was back to his old work. But this time, with company.

So... it would probably take about ten times as long.

The water was the perfect temperature as she tested it with her one bared foot. The young red dragon grumbled in her head about how reckless it was to bathe this way. She smiled, knowing her companion would get annoyed, but never angry with her chaotic spirit.

"Oh come on Exrimus, I am safe as can be with you around!" She said aloud to the red dragon behind her as she began to strip down into her dark blue satin bra and panties before wading into the water.

He grumbled and took flight to patrol the area, mentally warning her about her recklessness once more. She smirked, she loved how much he cared about her despite how much he tried to act like he didn't care at all. She pulled out her hair ribbon tossing it onto her clothing and katana with it's elegant black sheath decorated with draconic runes in silver and a single sapphire on the hilt of the katana.

She began to sing softly as she slipped further into the water until she had not but her head under water, her feet could still touch and that was perfect depth for her. The water was cool, but in such a perfect way for her. She smiled as she watched her auburn hair splayed about the top of the water trying to rebel against the horror of being captured by the water it floated upon. She grinned and ducked herself a moment. Resuming her sweet, alluring song once more upon rising again from the waters, her back to the shore. Her hair now floating within the soft current of the seemingly still water she bathed in.

Pop.

Dirty hands scrubbed against sandpaper face, leaving smudges over the awkwardly ridged cheekbones, lumpy nose, too-large lips. Eyes of piercing blue stared out over the water, furrowing into a concerned squint. His mind elsewhere, focused on things that were no longer his, places ebbing on the very edge of memory. He knew who - what - he was, now. Couldn't hide from it, couldn't run from it.

Pop.

The campfire smoldered, traces of smoke - whisps, really - from the tamped down flames and ebbing coals, the gray trails rising amongst the trees, dancing on the wind. He rubbed errant knuckles underneath his nose, inhaled sharply to dislodge whatever object had burrowed there, and remained lost inside his own mind.

Until something hit the water with a splash, had him jerking his gaze in that direction.

A woman moved through the water - seemingly draped in grace of movement, if draped in not much else. He instinctively averted his gaze, tried to focus back on the water, on the brood he had going.

But there was a woman in her underwear nearby, and the brood didn't seem to want to come back. Which was disappointing. He liked a good brood - was owed a good brood - and this girl had to come along and ruin it.

He rose to his feet, leaving the occasional popping fireplace on it's own, shoving hands into his coat pockets. He headed for the spot where the woman had disrobed, trying to adapt a casual gait as he formed a shitty plan in his head. The least he could do was see what she had worth taking.

She caught the sound of steps behind her, without turning, she smirked with eyes closed stopping singing, simply saying in a calm but alluring voice, "It is not polite to invade a lady as she bathes."

She slowly turns around to face the man, measuring his appearance as she locked her soft silvery blue eyes that were almost like a clear blue obsidian but lighter and clearer like her eyes were water itself on the man, slowly walking toward shore stopping when the water became waist deep. Her curvy but lithe form, especially her chest offered a pleasant view for many men if they were straight. As she stares at him, she smiles warmly, with that a sensation with inch into his mind, urging him to go to her. Her nymph charms of allure would draw almost any man to them, especially any man who already felt an itch of unsavory intent towards a nymph's innocence.

She slowly sways her body in a rhythmic manner to some unheard music, music like an Arabian belly dancer sways her body in a seductive way in a very tasteful fashion. She slowly slides her hands down her sides to the water, then slowly unfurling her right arm and gesturing for him to come here. Her gesture slow, but seeming sensual at the same time. Her body continues the slow sway, causing the water to move about her only slightly as if she had some unearthly grace that could barely cause it to want to stir about her elegant form. The satin sticking to her form as her hair drapes about her body like silk ribbons flowing about her in rivulets in the water, swaying as if waving to the sky that glistened above them.

The man raised his eyebrows, almost feeling the dirt on his face from his muddied mitts in contrast to the cleanliness of the woman's skin. His fists clenched in his pockets, and he idly wondered if there was someone with a camera, or an easel, looking to trap the expression on his face and put it somewhere public and humiliating.

Which might be worth the peek.

"I was here first," he said in response, taking a few steps closer to the pile of clothes and other shit, "an' I somehow don' think yer all too concerned w'manners."

She covered her mouth giving a look of feigned innocence and offense that he would accuse her of such a thing, but it quickly faded as a soft giggle escapes her.

"Hmm, so you caught me, I am not concerned about manners. However my things you are advancing toward are my concern." She looks to the clothing pile of soft microfiber flare leg slack and form fitting V-neck shirt with its odd sleeves that flare but are only connected at her shoulder and at the wrist, the rest is a clean intentional slit from shoulder her wrist.

A sterling silver pentagram dangles about her neck on an 8 inch sterling silver chain dangle within her well endowed cleavage. A dragon wrapped around the pentagram with a clear quartz orb in its mouth. A pair of sterling silver earrings with a teardrop shaped clear quartz dangle from her ears with a symbol of the triquentra etched into the flat teardrop quartz. She grins, a look that seems to turn her succulent features to that matching the alluring demonic beauty notorious of a succubus, beautiful but deadly. her eyes hardened to a less gentle to a more intense stare.

"That may be, but you as far as I know do not own this lake do you?" She paused raising and elegant auburn brown impressing upon him a sarcastic challenge to prove her wrong. "If not, then my bathing here is allowed. If you have such a qualm with me bathing, come here, let us see if you can settle that qualm with me, man to woman?" Her voice sweet as honey in your ears as she smirks, a stare challenging, yet seductive as hell.

She wades out the water just enough to unveil her form enough to allow her hips to rise from the water. Rivulets of water tracing each muscle of that amber colored skin. Her hair pulling towards her to drape about her form ever so elegantly likes ribbons designed to be clothing.

He wanted to say so what, lady and grab the shit and start running. Probably turn it around for a decent profit - he knew a guy, or a previous him knew a guy, or maybe like a third previous him fuck here comes the pressure headache - and maybe something actually hot that he didn't cook himself. Well, char himself. Half-char himself.

He also wanted to act absolutely nonplussed about what she was offering, cool as ice, so fucking cold that it looked like nearly naked women offered to settle qualms with him all the time.

Instead, "What? What do-" he coughed into a fist, "uh, I ain't lookin' t'settle any, qualm, man to woman or otherwise. S'a free lake - I jus' pointin' out that you were intrudin' on me."

"Well I apologize." She offers sweetly, her voice all innocent and smooth like silk across your skin. "What would you like, as a sort of apology for disturbing you and what can I do while I bathe as not to distress you further?" A coy tone dancing into her voice.

She slowly glides out the water with such unearthly grace, that again she barely seems to disturb the water. She stands before the man, rivulets of water and saturated silky ribbons of hair draping and trailing down her form. Her lucid eyes stare at the man in such a way that it seems like she is trying to search into your very soul with those watery eyes that seem so alluring to stare into.

"So, what do you say? What can we do, so both of us walk away happy?" She asks in voice a few tones above a whisper.

She trails a single fingernail across his dirty cheek, so lightly that it feels like the silk from a spider web when the wind blows it in such a way that it slides across your skin and then passes on with the soft breeze that had brought it to greet your very flesh in the first place.

"Um," came the eloquent reply, surely to top the sonnets of even the most cherished bards. His fisted hands shifted downwards, hands sliding into familiar metal circles, working the fingers into their designated holes. His face reddened, and he let it.

"Sure," he said, his voice shaky - this time because he made it shaky - "but how do I know y'ain't trickin' me?"

"What? Afraid I may seduce you in your sleep?" She teased taking a step towards him.

Her smile in warm and welcoming, but the cool look in her eyes foretells a storm of emotions, not to mention that her smile now turned in to a devious smirk that reflected the thoughts of devious play in her eyes.

"You think me a siren do you?" her silky voice teases playfully, her fingertips of her right hand barely tracing his ear.

She hadn't expected the brass knuckles and took the full grunt in the gut causing curl forward and hold her stomach.

"Hadn't any one...ever taught you not to strike a lady...let alone...a dragon!" She growled through the wave of hot pain in her stomach.

She underestimated him, for that she knew she was foolish. He wouldn't continue to do so long, she had dropped right in front of her sheathed katana. Deftly, she unsheathed the katana, brazenly flashing it before her warningly, ignoring the ache in her stomach and blocking the mental link with the red dragon. She didn't want his interference with this one.

She looked up to him with her water eyes, smirking a silky voice responding to his attack. "I was only going to let you go with some coin to leave me bathe, but since you struck first. You are going to regret that! No one! No one strikes a black dragon and walks away!" She snarls, baring fangs.

Her looks changes to a dangerous grin, "On second thought..." She says in a soft silky tone edging to a tone more dangerous, edging on cold as death. "How about I see how well you can swim my dear?" With that, she performs a few somatic gestures with her left free hand, then waves it towards the lake, pulling a vine like piece of the lake from it, writhing like a worm impaled upon a hook. "A little water to wash the dirt, let's see how adorable you really are before I drown you for your insult." Her voice suddenly silky but cold as artic waters touching warm skin.

Last edited:
The man had stepped back and bounced on the balls of his feet, fists up and ready to swing again when the water began curling out of the lake, the icy water touching his skin, taking off some of the grime.

Awesome. Magic. No reward was worth going up against magic - especially if that dragon comment wasn't hyperbole. Maybe he could get a lucky shot at her eyes or something, take her down hard - though she'd taken the gut shot like a champ and he'd put force behind it.

"Fuck it," he said, and turned on his heel and fled at full speed.

"Oh no you don't my dear. I never let my play things run away before the fun has begun." She says grinning deviously, her voice still silky but with an edge of danger.

With a deft toss, she threw the sheath towards his feat simultaneously using gestures to have the water ensnares his arms.

"Come on, I thought all men loved it when a women got them wet? here you are running away." Her voice chiding, edgy, seductive and dangerously cold all in one, the same storm in her eyes. "Keep fighting me and I will have to bring out something a little stronger than the water to play with you." She giggles softly, the sound semi-sadistic.

Back