Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Treasure

Void
A dystopian world under the surface of the earth

Name: Misty
Job: weather tech
Physical Description: blond, blue eyes, 5' 1", petite
5006c9bec218b5b53af2a1b9bf1ae32a-jpg.8416

Name:Mathias
Job: trade crew/ hunter
Physical Description: 5' 4" hair: brown, eyes:brown
screenshot_20200827-021340_gallery-jpg.8415

Name: Grey, just Grey
Job: Communications monitor/IT person
Physical Description: 5' 2" tall, light build, gray hair, pale violet eyes, looks younger than he really is
88762c81f2730f6e1d0dc9d74b5eb8ea--sexy-anime-guys-hot-anime.jpg

Name: Lynna (Lee-nah) Ember
Job: Trade Crew
Physical Description: 5' 6" tall, brown eyes, reddish hair that stands out in a world of pale, light skin, well-muscled but lean with a runner's build
3827aae0d709f2634bbb36211c7286d6.jpg

Lynna ran through the street dodging the crowds as she went. As it was only just past the first bell, only a few people were out and about, but in crowded Desolation City (charming name, she knew, but it was better than the neighboring city of Last Chanceton) even the quiet times were crowded with folks bustling to and fro. The gears, whistles, and rumbles of the machines that purified the air and water and ran the generators that powered the lights never stopped. The city never slept, so why should its citizens?

The red-head paused to catch her breath at the edge of the city, staring at the rock walls that rose up into darkness to dense to see through. She craned her neck back, staring up into the darkness. Somewhere up there was the cavern ceiling with stalactites pointing down at them like teeth. Somewhere above that, through miles of stone, was the Surface World!! She'd never seen it. No one had outside of the Trade Crew, but she knew it was up there. Somewhere. And today... Today she would finally see it!

Grinning, she bounded forward once more and headed to a ladder nearly hidden amongst the craggy rocks. The rungs creaked slightly as she climbed up at top speed and reached the tiny shed built into the stone a hundred feet above the cavern floor. She threw open the door and sang, "Grey! Grey, today's the day!"

A small man looked up from his seat before a booth of blinking lights and weird switches and buttons. He smiled but held up a finger to his lips, his violet eyes twinkling as his other hand held one half of a headset to his ear. He used his foot to turn his back on Lynna and started writing something on the massive pad of paper next to the radio, his hand moving unnaturally fast as he wrote out the message with practiced ease.

Lynna grimaced and pulled up the only other seat in the tiny place, an old, rickety stool that threatened to snap out from under her. One foot rested on the iron floor, the other on the lowest rung. She should have known he'd be listening. He was always listening. She used her foot to nudge the door open a little farther to let in more light. The place was darker than her bedroom during designated Sleep Cycle. The only light came from the lights from the screens and indicators. She had no idea how Grey could see anything in this tomb.

Speaking of Grey, he set aside his headset and turned to look at Lynna with a raised brow.

The grin returned to Lynna's painted lips. "Today's the day! In one bell, I'll be heading up with the Trade Crew! I'll finally get to see the surface world!"

Grey shook his head with a smile and started flicking his hands through a complex sequence. "I do not know what you are so excited about. The world outside of the caves sounds like it is pretty torn up."

Lynna waved a hand. "Yeah, yeah, I've heard all the stories. Dust storms that can take the meat from your bones in seconds followed by water dumped from the skies somehow. I want to see it for myself! I want to see what's real! I want to see what a craptastic mess humans made of the world."

Grey shrugged, clearly unconvinced. "I think humans are arrogant and try to take too much credit for things, so whatever you see, I doubt it is entirely humanity's fault."

"You say that every time," Lynna said, rolling her eyes. "But, I mean, come on! It's the only scenario that makes sense. Pollution, factories, cows... whatever cows were... deforestation..."

"It's the only scenario presented to you," he pointed out. "There were other factors, but even so, the world is a big place and complex. I don't think any answer is going to be as simple as that one. I wouldn't be surprised if humans were a part of it, but I think many of the possible ideas have merit." He paused a moment. "Well, any answer except for the one that the desolation is all a hoax and the government is keeping us trapped down here for their own nefarious reasons."

Lynna giggled. "You mean the Purites? The ones who like to preach that this part of the world is the sin-filled Hell and up top is some kind of paradise? Or something like that, I never could understand what they were talking about."

"Those are the ones," Grey smirked.

"Yeah, those dudes are totally cracked. Anyway, I have to go report to my group soon, and in a couple of bells, I'll get to see for myself what the fuss is all about!"

"Just try not to run off like some kind of hero."

Lynna shot her friend a huge grin. "Me? Go rogue? As if! I've outgrown that stage of my life."

"In less than a week? As I recall, that instance with the-"

Lynna grabbed Grey's hands. "There's no need to bring that up!" she said with a nervous laugh. "No need at all!"

Grey shot her an amused look and pulled back his hands so he could shoo her to the door.

"I'll tell you all about it when I get back!" she promised. She would have skipped out the door if she'd had more space. Instead, she walked out, closed the door, and slid down the ladder like a pirate on a holomovie.

Mathias was one who had been going to the surface on the regular ever since he was a boy. His father had been a hunter before him and taught him all he knew.

What most the bottom dwealers didn't know was that humans were not the only ones to evolve. Mother nature had paved a path for new life. Bigger stronger trees to withstand the rain wind and hail, they protected the animal life that had also evolved and adapted to the new more harsh world they found themselves in. Though they looked little like the ancestors from years past now. Only the strongest had survived. Evaluation at its finest.

People like Mathias were labelled as hunters because yes they did go to the surface and hunt the animals. But not to kill. To study. To find a way to cultivate their own herds to supplement food that was starting to run scarce for the bottom dwellers.

Any sort of crops had thus far been impossible with the weather patterns. This was why the trade crew was getting more than one additional member this time around. A research team was being assembled to go along side them and gather data on route.

Misty was both excited and worried about having been chosen. She was a weather tech which essentially meant she lived closer to the surface than most and monitored the surface weather to help keep trade crews notified of conditions and predictions.

Occassionally she did go topside to repair equipment damaged by said weather but that was it. She never got to venture past there.

She stuck mostly to herself, quietly passing along information where it was needed but she spent most of her time alone with her equipment. Not that she couldn't leave but chose not to. A bit awkward around people.

She liked Grey though, he was a nice guy from what little she had talked to him and her sign language skills were a little limited anyway

Mathias was the first of the crew to arrive, as per usual, in the corner near the lift doors. His gun and pack resting beside him.

Guns were sparse and only one or two on a trade crew would carry one. Only for emergencies. The scope was what Mathias utilized the most on the weapon.

Misty arrived shortly after, pack slung over her shoulder and tablet in hand. Tablets were mostly unheard of anymore but she managed to keep one working to use with her weather monitoring equipment. They would need this to collect weather pattern data, along with what was currently in her pack.

Lynna stood in the utility access between two towering buildings as she checked herself over one last time. Heavy boots to protect her feet? Check. Nice leather(ish) pants to keep her legs in one piece? Check. Heavy corset to protect the essentials? Check. She took a second to adjust one of the buckles and adjusted the coarse, sleeveless shirt underneath. Heavy leather(ish) jacket over top of everything to keep her arms together? Check. Headscarf for her hair? Check, currently folded in her pocket. And... goggles. Check. Okay. She wasn't forgetting anything.

She gave her pouched belt one more adjustment then squared her shoulders and marched out from behind the buildings. She was not feeling nervous. She was not feeling nervous. She was not feeling nervous. As she marched up to one of the most intimidating groups of men (primarily, only one or two other women) in Desolation City and saluted smartly.

"Lynna Ember, reporting, sir!" she announced to the leader, trying to keep her eyes on him and not glance around at the others in the group. Especially Mathias. He was more intimidating to her than the rest of the group put together.

Last edited:
Said leader of the group was a short broad shouldered man with cropped black hair and narrow eyes. He frowned slightly as he looked her over "at ease young lady. This isn't a military operation" he pointed out

"Now then. We are all here so Mathias is going to review safety protocols " he glanced at Mathias who sighed.

"During all daylight hours keep your eyes and skin covered. The sun is harsh and bright. Not like anything we have down here " he explained. Of course they knew this already but it was important to go over everything multiple times just in case.

"Under no circumstances are you to wonder from the group. It's more than just weather to worry about up there and that's why I am here" he picked up his riffle for emphasis

"Any questiones?"

"It is a three day journey there and three days back. We will spend one night at our destination and return. So. One week" he answered "assuming weather holds that is" he glanced at Misty

"All clear still according to my readings" she said in reponse as she tucked the tablet away for later

"Crystalline!" Lynna breathed in excitement. She put a hand to one of the pouches on her belt, one of only two empty ones. She was going to bring Grey back a souvenir! It might not be anything more than a rock, but she was determined to bring him something. She'd just have to make certain to stay under the radar... and not pick up anything potentially radioactive. Grey would kill her if she did. After all, radioactivity would probably mess with his equipment, she thought with a smirk.

"Tone it down newbie, this isn't a field trip" the leader said as he put in the code to open the lift, it rattled to life, the old doors creaking as they slid open, the lights flickered but remained on.

"Now just cross your fingers we don't plummet to our deaths" Mathias said before he stepped on first, picking up and shouldering his bag as he went.

Misty didn't trust the lift but it was the only way up so she stepped aboard and preemptively pulled her goggles on and pulled on the gloves to protect the skin of her hands, everything else covered with clothing

The lift didn't scare her, not after that incident with the laundry chute, so Lynna had no problem getting on with the others and standing next to Misty. She noticed Misty already gearing up, so she quickly did the same. Wait, where were her gloves?? Her heart skipped a beat. One frantic search later, and she found them tucked into her belt at the small of her back. She let out a quiet sigh and hoped no one would notice as she pulled on the wayward gloves then adjusted her goggles.

The lift creaked and clanked, but it seemed to be running fine and not plunging them to their deaths. Lynna stared upward, willing the lift to go faster. Yeah, yeah, it wasn't a field trip, but it was still so exciting!!

"First time going up?" Misty guessed mildly

"Its not all that exciting " Mathias said "it is if you didn't grow up with access to the surface " Misty countered to which Mathias shrugged "sure I suppose that's true "

Eventually they jolted to a hault, Mathias glanced at the others making sure all safety gear was in place before he pulled his own goggles down and pulled open thr lidt doors, allowing the light to spill in. Not like any synthetic light, so much brighter and warm too. The colors were incredible. Bright green grass with a few hearty flowers low to the ground and massive tree's towering over them, right now the wind was mild and cooling, a few wispy clouds in the otherwise clear bright blue sky.

Lynna was about to respond when the doors flung open, and true light pounded into her face. She gasped and stumbled a step back in shock. White! All she could see was white with hints of yellow! It was so bright and hot! Was something wrong? Were they all going to die??

No... wait... her eyes were slowly adjusting behind her dark goggles, and no one else seemed to think something was amiss. She took a deep breath and chocked on the weird air. It was warmer than the cold breezes from below, and it... tasted? Since when did air have a flavor? She blinked furiously, and the fuzzy green plants took shape. Sure, she'd "artist's representations" of what the world looked like, but nothing had prepared her for reality. Nothing at all. This was... She craned her head back and stared at the blue sky. This was indescribable. She tried to think of something to say, some epic comment or mature observation.

"Where's the ceiling?" her mouth blurted before her brain could stop her.

Mathias cracked a smile "That's the thing about earth, it doesn't have one" he took in a deep breath, closing his eyes a moment, on the surface was where he thrived, being trapped inside was not for him.

"Come along, no time to waste, you two stay to the middle of the group" Scott, the crew chief spoke up now, letting them enjoy the first moment at least

"I've been to the surface before" Misty complained "Regardless, you've not been on a trade route, you and newbie stick to the middle and obey orders without question, got it?"

Misty sighed but nodded, glancing at the other woman "Looks like we are going to be travel buddies thru this trip, Misty" she offered a gloved hand

"Lynna," she replied, taking the hand distractedly as she nearly broke her own neck trying to see everything at once. This was not what she'd expected. It was... better? Maybe. She'd looked forward to being up here every day of her life since she was five, but now that she was up here, she wasn't so sure she liked it.

Lynna took a moment to actually look at her new "traveling buddy." "Oh, you're the, um, weather person, right?" she said, fumbling for the proper title. "I think I've seen you around Grey's station a couple of times. Do you use the communications towers to transmit data or something?" She hesitated, suddenly wondering if that was a classified question.

Scott began to lead the way, they could talk as they walked "Weather tech" she provided, gesturing for her to follow as she walked with the others now "And yes, we keep in touch with the other cities, my equipment doesn't have the radar capabilities of other cities, with our combined effort we get fairly accurate weather readings. I am coming this time to collect data and fix the weather tower that's along the rout, it was damaged in the last storm" she went on to explain

"what's your specialty?"

"Right now I'm just the newbie who totters along in the middle of the group," Lynna huffed, "but I've been training to be a marksman to guard the trade crew from beasts and humans alike! Not that I'm allowed to carry a gun, yet. It's a waste of ammo. But I hold the second highest marks in the range!"

The gun range, used to train people like Lynna and allow others to keep their skills sharp, utilized reusable bullets to avoid wasting precious ammo. The "bullets" were barely strong enough to puncture the cork board they were fired at, no matter the weapon used, but they didn't shatter. After a day of practice, the collectors would take down the boards and seperate metal from wood and retrieve the spent bullets. A bit of reshaping, and they were good to be fired again the next day.

Lynna shaded her eyes, squinting despite the goggles. "My mom was really hoping I'd go for being a merchant or a barterer when I said I wanted to be a part of the trade crew. She didn't talk to me for like a week when I showed her my marksman certificate." She snickered as she remembered her mother's expression.

Misty smiled and nodded over at Mathias, who could most certainly hear them with his keen ears. Not much escaped him "You'll want to talk to Mathias then, he may let you handle his riffle. might not be issued your own yet but no better marksman than Mathias there, spent his entire life training with his father" she explained, Mathias glanced over but didn't comment

"And anyway, it's your life not your mothers. I'm certain she will get over it if she hasn't already"

"I'm not too worried about it. She has a serious martyr complex, so I'm used to it," Lynna shrugged. "She asks why I can't be more like she was as a child almost daily, and when Father's around, he gives her the weirdest look. I'll train my hardest and get issued my own rifle, and maybe someday I'll leave all of Mathias' records in the dust." She lowered her voice with a smirk with her last sentence, but she didn't mind if Mathias could still hear.

Mathias laughed this time, he had most certainly heard "Little lady, if you can do that, I'll salute you" he said, looking over his shoulder at them, he smiled. He looked big and tough but he seemed friendly and good humored "I like your spirit though" he looked ahead again

"In fact, come ahead with me, we should scout ahead" he said after a moment of thought.

Scott frowned but before he could protest Mathias added "She's my trainee not your's Scott, don't get your panties in a bunch"

Lynna's grin widened, and she happily bounded forward. "Be back later, Misty! It was great talking to you!" She chirped happily. She joined Mathias and looked up at him confidently. She knew his reputation and respected it, but no one got a reputation like that by playing it safe. As much as she admired Mathias, she also wanted to better him. What better goal could a young person have?

"What are we scouting for, sir? Trouble?" she asked.

Back