Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Have you learned such insolence from Mathias girl? Hols your tongue if you know what's good for you" she snapped impatiently at her.

"The fact if the matter is these three outsiders don't belong here. We have enough mouths to feed without giving charity to these savages"

"No, I learned to think instead of cowering in fear!" Lynna snapped, raising her chin.

Gray stepped forward and caught her arm. He touched his lips to quiet her then turned to Misty and guestured to her, asking for her to translate for him. He then faced the council and began to sign slowly.

"Honored sirs and Ma'am, is not charity what separates us from savages? It is a savage who would turn away those in need, but a human with a good heart will do all they can to extend even the meagerest of provisions to anyone who is in need. Badru arrived here after saving the lives of many of those now present, and he had offered his aid to the city. Justira and Faelar were driven from their home by those who attempted to kill these of our own people. Those would be the true savages. These three top Dwellers are but victims, not enemies."

The old man on the council gave a slight nod of aproval, but did not yet speak.

The woman frowned as she listened to Misty translate what he said.

"The fact remains we cannot feed and house them. We don't have the means. Especially this big brute you call Badru."

Misty spoke up "he can work..earn his keep like the rest of us do" she said "I'm sure Faelar and Justira can too.." the old woman put up a hand to silence her. Looking at Badru directly "can you speak?"

The woman nodded, watching him carefully as he processed then spoke.

"Very good" she said, sure to speak slo2 for him "Do you want to stay?"

Badru considered her question. "You not want me," he pointed out. It was not an accusation, and his expression was calm. "I have no where to go. Village dead. Family dead. Here are friends. Here are enemies." He shrugged. "If allowed, will stay. Will help. If not allowed, leave and likely die."

She nodded to his words "and who taught you our language?" She asked him. Misty spoke up though "I did..or am still. He's come a long way in just a few days...he is very willing and able. Pepper was saying they could use him in the engine rooms" she added, glancing at the man she knew used to work down there hoping it might help to sway them it she mentioned that.

Faelar chose to speak up now too "like this big fella...we got no place else ta go...my sister and I woulda died already if not fer Lynna and Mathias and that effort will be fer nothin if ya send us out there....a burrow clans strength is in numbers see...we don't have that now. Just us two. We wounit make it" he said, especially Justira, disabled as she was. "We can work. Whatever is needed"

The old man finally spoke up. "I think we should give them a chance for now. We do not have much, this is true, and we will need the good will of the Top Dwellers to continue surviving. You two, you say you live in a clan? Would you return if you could?"

"We had a clan...we barely escaped with our lives...our home is gone...like Badru..we have nowhere to go" he answered

Justira gently nudged Gray. She had been trying to follow but was a bit lost now

Gray apologized to Justira and quickly tried to bring her up to speed on the conversation.

Lynna frowned up at the old lady. "Look, I know the outside is scary, but these people aren't. They've been trying to help as much as they can, and I think they are all in danger from these cannibalistic nut-jobs that are driving everyone out. Those are the ones we should be worried about. If they have their way, we'll be trapped down here."

The woman frowned and glanced at the other council members

"We can learn from them how these cannibals function as a group. Lynna is right. If we don't do something they will take over the top. No more trade crews. Nothing. We'll rot down here" Mathias spoke up again

"You've given us much to consider" the woman said "I've heard enough" she again looked to see what the others might have to say about it

"Let us take time to consider our decision," the old man suggested with a couple of others nodding in support. "This is not a simple thing. Let the Top Dwellers be under light surveillance to ensure they will do no harm, but other than that, let them be. We can give a small allowance toward their care and keeping. Gray is our chief of surveillance. What better person to stay informed?"

Lynna breathed a soft sigh. That was better than she was expecting.

Gray paused as they mentioned his "hobby," then finished translating for Misty.

The woman pinched her lips tight for a moment before she spoke "if we are all in agreement on this temporary arrangement..." she glanced at the rest who gave nods

"Then mr Gray. It will be your responsibility to keep watch on these three individuals. Do you accept this?"

Well. This was certainly going to be interesting, Gray thought. He was not certain he was the best for the job, but they hadn't said anything about delegation. He supposed he could ask for help. So he nodded in agreement then asked Misty to translate for him. "I ask for freedom to decide where they live. My place is too small for them to stay, so I will chose suitable housing."

"You should be the one looking after them," Lynna grumbled softly to Mathias. "You know more about the surface than Gray, and certainly a lot more about taking care of other people!"

She nodded "if it is agreeable to the council" she said and glanced again at the others. Nods around again.

"We will insist Badru be removed from living with Misty. She may continue lessons in English but I do not think it wise for him to live with a single woman"

Mathias raised a brow "I suppose I have space...but I can't keep watch on them all the time"

"That is agreeable," Gray sighed slowly. Great. Now he was going to have to figure out where to put Badru, but they did have a point. "I will find something that works by tomorrow."

She shook her head "Badru needs to be moved tonight. The other two are fine where they are" she insisted.

"He is welcome to stay with me. My home is larger than most. He'd be able to stand up right and perhaps feel less close in" Mathias offered for Badru's sake as well as Grays

Misty nodded "I will" she said though felt like it was going to be lonely without him now. She had grown used to his company and help. She supposed it made sense though.

She looked up at Badru "Badru" she said to get his attention "you're going to stay with Mathias. His home bigger. More space for you"

Badru frowned. "Mathias not need me. Little Water Droplet does. I stay with what needs."

"With what needs? How does that make... Oh, right," Lynna nodded, catching on. "But, uh, Mathias needs you because he's really injured still. Right, Mathias?"

Back