Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"It's alright Gray" he assured "everyone has strengths and weaknesses. We'll work around them" he said, not wanting him to feel badly "Justira, , Peter I want you two staying by him make sure he doesn't trip and stays alright. Be his eyes and ears" he instructed

"Lynna, Charlie I want you two scouting as we go, collect food and firewood. Jonah Misty I want you two taking up the rear. Make sure nobody falls behind. Badru and I will lead."

Gray inclined his head, but he still felt awkward. He knew of everyone here, he was currently the weakest link. Misty felt she was weak, but he was literally dead weight when the sun hit him. At least he could try to make up for it at night.

"Roger that!" Lynna said cheerfully now that she was more awake and less in shock. She didn't mind having someone share body heat with her. It was more of the not knowing who it was and not having it be one of the inner circle.

Jonah nodded quietly. He could do that.

With everyone agreed he went on "I got your packs last night. You'll be in charge of your own things plus carry some of the shared supplies that way if anyone gets separated you'll be ok until we join up... now then. Let's get moving. We'll eat on the move"

Lynna saluted and grabbed her pack from the pile as well as whatever she could comfortably carry. She handed out some easy-to-eat rations then shouldered the supplies before stepping out.

Jonah got his stuff sorted then turned to make certain Misty was settled and could handle what she took. He didn't want her overloading. It was an easy mistake to make when you weren't used to hiking. That extra five pounds might be fine at first, but after a few hours of walking, it felt like twenty.

Gray checked to make certain Justira knew what was happening before he collected his things. Good thing he traveled light. Other than his plants, he had no special possessions, so all he carried were a few changes of clothing and shared supplies.

With everyone set to go they headed out into the wilds of the surface. What Charlie had snagged would certainly help but they needed to find a place to winter and get a stick pile of food and supplies built up.

Justira used a bit of rope to tie her and Gray together so he wouldn't have to hold her hand the entire time to try and reduce the discomfort but she would stay right by him in case he needed her. It would be slow going.

Gray nodded to Justira in thanks then laid the blanket that had been the doorway over his head to act as a shield. He steeled himself and stepped out. Even low and barely lighting up the world, the sun still struck him like a physical blow. He had to force his feet to move forward. The heaviness grew, dragging him down, but once he was out in the light, it was easier to keep his feet going forward.

Badru waited until they had been walking a few minutes to tell Mathias, "I know place where safe to stay for winter. Not home, but winter safe," he tried to tell him. He glanced back, checking on Peter and Pepper.

Mathias nodded "then lead the way. I'll keep everyone going and watch for danger" he said. Glad Badru knew a place because he certainly didn't "how far is it?"

Mathias frowned in agreement "we don't have much choice unless we move at night then Gray can go faster but that is dangerous between the cold and predators" he did grab his riffle but had limited rounds they couldn't rely on that

"And the others will be slower," Badru grunted. "If needed, I carry Gray. It can be done." The place was worth it, and he could guarantee that there would be no cannibals there, and likely not many predators. Predators could be chaced off fairly easily then kept out.

Mathias nodded "let's just go until mid day and re asses everything then" made the most sense. Would give them.more of an idea how things were working or not working

Badru grunted again in agreement and shifted his pack to a more comfortable position. He carried the heaviest load as he was the biggest, but he barely felt it. He may have had a nice, soft life for a while with these Grounders, but his body hadn't forgotten how to bear the weight.

Mathias let him take the lead as they had agreed but stayed ahead to help watch for danger too.

Peter was good at warning Gray about big steps and the like as they went and Justira stayed right beside him to help guide him along, close but not too close.

Things were going smooth..slow but smooth. It gave time for Charlie and Lynna to collect wood and forage for more food at least

Gray didn't even try to communicate. Every bit of his energy went into going straight and following Justira and Peter's guidance. The sun felt as if it was slowly draining him, sucking his energy through his very skin. The blanket helped dampen the effect, and he clung to it desperately. He could do this. He could... because he had to.

Lynna picked up a piece of wood and held it up thoughtfully. "Hey, Charles," she said, walking over to him. "What do you think. Does this look like a man holding up his arms?" She held up weird stick for him to see.

Charlie looked over and smiled "more like..an ape man" he grinned "the arms are too long to be a mans" he explained, going to push his glasses up but forgetting he had just picked a handful of herbs for their supply and got a faceful of fragrant rosemary instead

Lynna laughed lightly and reached over to pick a few of the spiky leaves from his hair. "I'd say I question your eyesight if you can't even see what you are holding."

Be laughed a little "yes well...I guess you have a point there" he grinned and stuffed the rosemary into his bag "but still say it's an ape man"

Lynna laughed and stuck her stick among the pile she's tied to the top of her pack. "Alright, ape man it is. Come on, they are starting to get ahead of us." She picked up the speed to catch up with the group. "How's the food gathering going? I have no trouble with the wood in this forest."

"Not bad!" Charlie said proudly "found some radishes, onions, carrots oh and some other herbs too..not a whole lot grows in the fall but root vegetables can go a long way. They keep well" he explained what he had learned from Badru, he was quite proud of himself

"Someone's been paying attention to his lessons," Lynna grinned. "I'm still not really that good at the foraging thing. I got pretty good at trapping for meat, but the plants still escape my skills."

Back