Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Misty looked up at him "you don't like apples?" She asked skeptically. They were wild apples so small but packed with sweet juicy goodness

Justira noticed "eat it Gray" she spoke softly, still only for his ears

"Not that much," Jonah shrugged. "Here, why don't you eat it? You could use it more than me."

Gray couldn't sign while he held the fruit, so he just held it and turned it over in his hands more. Eat it? He supposed, but it was so smooth and cool.

"Thanks.." she smiled faintly and accepted the fruit, taking a bite and looking up at the blue sky that was barely visible through the tree's. The world was so much bigger out here "I wonder what snow looks like...in real life I mean...I've seen pictures in old books but..seems impossible ya know..."

"It's cold and wet" Mathias said "but at night when the moon reflects off the crystals...it's like the world is sparkling" Pepper added to his comments "and as long as it's not a blizzard it's calming in a way"

Badru inclined his head. "The snow comes deep, but it is good for the earth. It is good. We will be safe by the time the snow comes."

As soon as rhey had finished eating it was decided Bardu would carry Gray so they could make up at least a little time but otherwise the system was the same until the sun began to set. Looked like that night they would be camping more in the open which meant a good sized fire to keep wildlife away.

All the firewood Lynna and Charlie collected would be put to good use

As the world darkened, the nocturnal animals came out to play and hunt. The wolves were close despite the fire, but they did not enter the circle of light. Their eyes glinted in the firelight as they paced, but even the slightest motion toward them sent them scattering. It was impossible to tell exactly how many were out there.

"Looks like we'll be keeping the fire going all night tonight," Jonah remarked.

Gray sat as far from the fire as he dared, his eyes picking out the moving shapes in the darkness with ease. They would have been even clearer if not for the fire at his back. These wolves were strange. They showed little fear or seemed even hungry as best as he could tell, but they were... curious?

Badru sat between Peter and Pepper, his back to the fire as he watched the wolves. "Yes. Fire must stay alive," he rumbled. One arm fell absently around Peter's shoulders. He still never touched Pepper unless there was a need, but he was finding these subconscious gestures of protectiveness coming easier and easier when it came to Peter.

Lynna wrapped her blanket securely around her, her back firmly to the night. "Good. It's getting colder! I hate the cold." She sighed, knowing this was only the beginning for cold.

Mathias frowned a little "we'll keep two on watch at all times tonight" Mathias decided "it dies and who knows what they will do"

Justira was torn between settling close to Gray or staying closer to the fire. She could make out the shape of the wolves easily enough and her last run in with wolves was still fresh in her mind. Maybe they were there to finish her off?

Misty sat as close as she dared to the fire but her eyes out into the tree's "you sure they will stay back..." she said uncertainly.

"Animals don't like fire. We'll be fine" Mathias answered "just stay close to Jonah"

Peter leaned against Badru and looked up at him "You'll keep us safe?"

"We're a nice sized group. They'll think a few times before taking a chance," Jonah said confidently to Misty. "If they do come close, we're armed." Sort of. One gun, a few knives, Lynna had her baton, sticks and stones, and he thought Badru had some kind of weapon.

Badru grunted. "They not touch you," he told Peter calmly. "Not like fire. Not like people. Not seen us before. They just curious. They grow bored and go find food." He squeezed Peter's shoulder gently. He felt confident in his words, but there was a niggle of doubt. He'd never seen wolves watch a fire so intently but without hunger. They seemed well-fed, and there was no shortage of food in this area for them, but they were strangely curious about their group. Why? "You sleep. Rest. Pepper rest, too. Is not problem."

Gray slowly inched back a little, getting closer to Justira, but he could not bring himself to get too close to the fire. Well within the protective circle of light, but not too close.

Juatira took notice of Gray trying to come closer so she met him half way to sit with him, glancing nervously at the woods again.

Charlie inched closer to Lynna "can I sleep by you tonight?" He'd feel safer being close to someone.

Peter nodded but stayed resting against him to sleep, feeling safe.

Pepper hesitated before she leaned against Badru's other side

Gray reached out and gently took Justira's hand, holding it lightly even though there was no protection between them. He could endure the feeling for a time if it made her feel safer. He knew how scared she must be.

"Sure," Lynna yawned, already making up her bed. "Safer in numbers, right? Just don't snore in my ear or anything."

Badru glanced down at Pepper in surprise, then his expression softened. Carefully, he put his arm around her, trying to make her feel safe. COmforted. Protected. Nothing and no one would hurt her. Not even him.

Justira smiled faintly to show she did appreciate it, layind down close, but not too close, holding his hand. It did help make her feel safer

"Me? I don't snore don't worrie" he said as he set up his bed next to hers

Pepper smiled a little but didn't say anything, closing her eyes to sleep

Mathias took on first watch again on one side of the fire

Jonah walked around to Mathias and said softly, "Gray is pretty attentive right now. I'll catch some sleep. Wake me when you are ready to switch." He started back around toward Misty, stepping carefully around the clumps of people ready to sleep.

Mathias nodded in response. Worked fine for him.

He sat with his rifle over his lap keeping watch over the group he felt so responsible for.

Time passed. Everyone seemed to be asleep save for Gray and Mathias, the two guardians. The fire burned bright and merrily. Even the wolves seemed to have settled down.

Something stirred just beyond the light on Gray's side of the fire. Something bipedle.

Gray frowned. What was that? He glanced toward Mathias, but Mathias didn't seem to have seen anything. Should he let him know? How? Throw a rock at him? He glanced back toward the darkness. Plus, he didn't even know that it was dangerous. He picked up a small pebble and a large rock. The pebble to throw back toward Mathias, the rock to defend himself. He stood and stepped away from Justira carefully as he inched toward the darkness. He moved with utmost caution. He had no desire to be a hero, but he needed to know if it was actually dangerous before waking everyone up.

The farther he went into the darkness, the more he could see. The wolves were still around, but they were farther back now, and they watched him quietly, slinking back away from hi to put even more distance between them.

Pain exploded in his skull and he dropped silently. Someone dragged him behind a rock to hide him then left him there as they made their way back to the camp.

Some of the bags of supplies were on this side of the fire. A small figure stepped soundlessly between the sleeping figures and crouched down to rifle through the bags. Some of the food items instantly disappeared and into and into the figure's bag. They then slipped away, the camp's sacks left significantly lighter.

Mathias looked up when the pebble harmlessly hit his arm. He stood and turned, at once noticing Gray was missing.

Shit. He nudged Badru as he stood up with his rifle and squinted into the darkness. He needed to wait for Badru to wake before he did anything

Badru huffed softly as he woke and squinted up at Mathias. "My turn to guard?" he murmured quietly as he started detangling himself from Pepper and Peter.

Mathias frowned "Gray is missing..heard something" he explained speaking soft "goong to check it out" he added before he headed towards the woods behind ehere Gray had been

"Be safe," Badru said, standing up. He picked up his massive staff then crouched low to watch.

Gray lay unconscious behind a rock. He wasn't badly injured, just a lump on his head and the guarantee of a headache when he woke up.

Mathias frowned even more on guard now. Standing near Gray he scanned the immediate area ready to shoot. An animal wouldn't just knock him out. Someone was here. "Badru! Wake the others! We aren't alone!" He called over without looking, maybe being loud would scare off whoever was there.

Something skittered away in the darkness. The wolves took up a howl, and it echoed across the land. Other wolves from far away heard and answered. On it went until it seemed the entire land rang from the wolven cries.

Badru gently woke Pepper and Peter. "Wake the others," he instructed. "Quickly, now." He did not dare be distracted long enough to wake everyone, so he deligated while he stood guard. He walked around the rim of the firelight, watching.

Lynna woke with a start at the wolf howls and looked around. The first thing she noticed was her pack open and spilled out. Her baton was missing!

Back