Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Misty sighed shaking her head "I have no skills... nothing to contribute... I'm... a mouth to feed that's all" she shook her head

--

Mathias nodded his approval to her catch "take them on back inside, Charlie or someone can dress them and cook up some lunch" he suggested, it wasn't an order of course. he looked back to Jonah, "Course she is, she grew up with wolves"

Gray shook his head. "You have many skills, Misty. You simply have not found the way they fit in this new system. That is all. I bet this is how Badru felt when he came to live with us down below."

~~

Arena dipped her head in understanding and trotted back toward the cave, slowing as she drew near to ensure no one was watching.

Jonah watched her go. "How did she catch them? Do wolves normally hunt birds?"

she shook her head "Don't talk to me about Badru. we're nothing alike" she said, she felt a bit betrayed. She had tried to help him, taught him to speak their language and then he met Pepper, he'd hardly spared her a moment since "I should.. go... find something I can do to help I guess"

--

Mathias shrugged "I suppose they could... imagine they aren't too picky come wintertime anyway.. "

Gray frowned, not sure what to think of her strange reaction, but he only nodded. He turned away, leaving Misty to do as she pleased while he focused on exploring the ruins of what was once a town.

~~

"True enough." Jonah picked up a mostly dry log about the same length as his arm. "Think we have enough wood now?"

"For a day or two" he nodded, having loaded up his own bag and everything he could fit under one arm "Lets head back.."

--

Misty grabbed a coat and one of the kitchen knives. She had learned a few of the plants and things that could be eaten, maybe she could find some and help provide that way. Though going out alone scared her...maybe she needed to push that a little and go out on her own, not far of course

Jonah nodded and started back toward the cave. "This place is weird, but a good spot. Badru must have lived close to here. Think he'll want to go see his old home?"

~~

Badru didn't notice Misty leaving as he tried to portion out a small room for each person near the fires. Perhaps Misty should help. She was better at spaces than he was, but she had seemed distracted earlier, so maybe he had better let her rest. Perhaps Pepper? They could work on figuring out how to make walls.

Mathia shrugged "If he does, he is more than welcome to, not as though he is our prisoner" he said simply as they headed back, just missing Misty too, never good to go out alone when nobody know's where you've gone.

--

Justira had made herself busy by herself in another section, quietly working. She had used stones and branches to make a basin of sorts on the floor and filled it with thick slimy mud, clay, and fetched sand from a nearby stream too and collected dry grass. If she could show them how to make these bricks and how to use the clay they could make some sturdy walls and huts inside this place for further protection. First she needed to show them an example so she had set to work on a small scale to show them.

Gray finally tired of exploring the ruins. He pushed himself harder than he realized, his body still weak from the sun's rays over the last few days. He wandered back toward the others when he noticed Justira. Curious, he walked over to join her, trying to approach where she could see him.

Justira noticed the movement and looked up, her hands muddy from working with the clay mixture "I am making bricks for walls" she signed her explanation "People like privacy, and more layers of protection is good in winter" she went on. It would take more time now snow had come, they couldn't leave the bricks out to sun bake, they would have to put them over a fire to do it

she smiled and nodded "IT is not hard, just takes time" she signed before showing him the proper mix of the three ingredients, using her hands to force them together until well blended then took out a good chunk and pressed it into a roughly rectangular shape on top of a flat stone that she then placed over a fire she had made

Gray slowly and carefully followed her movements exactly. He wasn't as quick as Justira, but he caught on fast to the process. After his second brick, he signed, "This will be incredibly useful! If we all take turns doing this, we will have enough bricks in no time at all."

she smiled and wiped her brow, with her arm, trying not to get mud on her face "And more to bring in sand and clay, I can't carry much at a time" she signed, already they had used up what she had "Can you show Peter and Pepper how to make them, Badru can carry plenty if I show him where to collect the mud and sand" it would be much faster all working together

Gray nodded. "I will go get them now. Misty would also be quick at making them. I will see if she wishes to help." He touched Justira's arm briefly then stood and went to find Peter and Pepper. They would likely be with Badru. It seemed one or both of them always were.

Justira nodded after him and smiled, glad to be help.

she picked up her little herb knife and stood up, she could carry plenty of grass, it was the sand and clay that she needed stronger people for.

Pepper and Peter were both with Badru at the moment

Gray approached them with a smile and wave. He addressed Peter and Pepper since Badru still hadn't learned sign and probably never would get past the simple ones. "Peter, Pepper, Justira has come up with a brilliant way to create walls for our homes, but we need to help her. We also need Badru to carry the heavy materials. Will you come help us?"

Badru watched patiently then looked to Peter and Pepper for the translation.

Pepper nodded and looked up at Badru "Justira knows how to make walls, they ask for our help and need you to carry the heavy materials" she told Badru. She trusted Justira to know what she was doing, she had lived in Burrows after all, not unlike what they were living in now she imagined

Badru nodded. "We will help," he agreed, moving to follow Gray.

Gray led them back to Justira. "I come with your helpers," he told her with a smile.

Justira smiled "Good, I will show Pepper and Badru where to find the clay and sand. Start to show Peter how to make the bricks. I'll be back soon with more materials" she told them. Pepper would be better equipped to help haul things in so may as well show her too

Gray nodded and sat down by the bricks. "Okay, Peter. Come and I will show you what to do. Once we are both good at it, let us see who can make the most good bricks!" Perhaps a playful challenge would make this more fun for the both of them.

Back