Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Screamer?" Mathias repeated with a raised brow. No idea what he was on about "I'm not exactly sure how being a jerk stops you from being surprised but whatever makes you feel better" he shrugged "I'll wake you in a few hours" Mathias never said anything to be mean but couldn't help if people took it that way.

Mathias himself just shrugged things off and took it in stride unless it was putting someone in danger or causing someone else to feel badly then he was like a dutiful watch dog ready to bite.

"A jerk to one is refreshingly honest to another," Jonah said flatly. He thought to himself, You just don't like someone pointing out the stupidity of this organization and its inability to pay attention to the real dangers.

Lynna walked away and tried to casually join Mathias. "Do you think he's right?" she whispered, honestly curious about Mathias' opinion. "About how we should have been paying attention to the animals?"

Mathias was just further confused by his words, just shaking it off and turning his attention to Lynna instead.

"Doesn't matter now does it? No use arguing about it or speculating further." He shrugged it off, finding a seat by the entrance to keep watch

"Alright." She fell silent, fidgetting slightly. "Um.. so... now what? Just sit and keep watch for stuff?"

~~

The radio in Misty's pack fizted softly. It was so quiet, it would not be hard to miss the sound with the thundering rain and lightening.

"You should get some sleep. I will keep watch for now but yes that's all we can do. Watch and wait" Mathias answered.

--

Misty did however notice the sound, sitting towards the back where it was a little more quiet.

Taking it out she plugged in the headset and put them on to hear better

"Alright, just let me know if you need help," Lynna said confidently. She turned and walked back to her pack, hoping he didn't notice her slight shivering. She was putting up a pretty good act, but the storm was still terrifying her!

~~

The connection was weak, but the soft blips and bleeps that spelled out the message in Morse Code could just barely make it through.

.... Trade Crew respond, this is Desolation City station...

Scott took notice "here" he pulled a pare of what looked like war muffs and tossed them to her "those will block out any sound. Should help you rest"

--

Misty smiled recognizing who it had to be. As not to disturb anyone else she could use code too.

"Trade crew to desolation. This is Misty" she responded

Lynna caught the muffs and looked them over curiously. "Oh, thanks, I appreciate it." She made herself comfortable in a little nest she made in the rock and her pack, using her pack as a pillow.

~~

Trade Crew Misty, this is Communications Officer Gray. I am getting readings of bad weather. Please report.

"Severe rain and wind. Crew made it to cover. No injuries or casualties" she reported back "we have rations for three days. How big does the storm shown on your end?"

Three days estimated. Four days possible. Covers multiple miles. Crew is currently at worst ring of the circle. The eye should be passing in a couple of hours.

"How long will we be in the eye?" She messaged back. Might give them a little time to go out and perhaps extend their shelter somehow. They had some equipment with them surely theu could do something or at the very least warm some food

There was a few minutes of radio silence. Then Gray came back with an answer. "The eye will last approximately three hours. If you go out, do not push the time restriction."

she made a note of the times as she was talking to him over the radio "we will take every precaution" she tapped back into the receiver "Will pass on to Scott. Everything alright there?"

"All well here. Waiting for news from the other trade crews from other cities. Three were out, two have reported, one has not." It was pretty common for Gray and the other communications officers in the various cities to keep track of any trade crews. There were not many, perhaps ten in all, if not fewer, and the communications officers kept close track of them when they were up top. While the cities, themselves, might occasionally have spats and not want anything to do with each other, but communications never stopped.

"Possible storm knocked out their signal. keep us updated. we can assist in search and rescue if needed when storm has passed" she responded. She hoped to whatever gods there might be, that they were alright and had found shelter in time. "Never seen the forest before, these tree's are incredible" she added on a non work related topic

"Really? How many trees are there? Do they grow as tall as the tales say?" Grey responded with rapid interest. He was much more talkative over the radio frequency. It gave him a chance to communicate on the same level as anyone else who understood the morse code, which was quite a few more than understood sign.

Misty grinned a little. She rather liked chatting with Grey. It was why she was trying to learn more sign.

"Even taller. Looks like they could touch the sky" she answered "I couldn't hope to count them all. I'll bring you some of the leaves and pine cones"

"I would like to see that. It sounds intimidating. Beautiful. What is the storm like?"

Far down below where Misty sat with the rain lashing around the cave entrance, Gray sat in his tiny shed, all the lights off save for one small lamp. It arched over the small bonsai tree on his table, a tiny pair of scissors sitting next to it.

"It's terrifying to be perfectly honest" she replied "it came on so fast and sounded like a monster roaring after us. Thought for sure it was goong to eat us up" it was very lucky Mathias knew the area so well.

"I am glad you got to safety. Matthias is a blessing in that situation. How is Lynna holding up?" Gray inquired.

Back