Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Mathias caught on too and did feel bad seeing Misty's expression. She had grown fond of her protector.

"Yes. I need help. Especially up top" it wasn't a lie. He did maitinence on any equipment exposed to the surface. Heavy lifting was something he couldn't do now and if any animals came he doubted he could defend himself too well either.

"Mathias needs you" Misty told him

Misty nodded "I will come every day to teach" she promised "mathias can teach too" she added. He did know more of Badru's language and could help him more with the sentence structure. It still hurt more than she thought. It was like throwing rocks at a dog so it would run away to a safer place. Of course Badru wasn't a dog, the feeling was just similar and well..she had never seen a dog either but read old stories about such things.

"I will learn from you," Badru stated then fell silent.

"Justira and Faeral cannot live in the extra shack. I will find another place for them," Gray said firmly. "I believe everything is now sorted. May we go?"

Misty smiled a little at his last statement. It was at least some form of confirmation he liked her and wasn't just there because she was helpless.

The old woman nodded "very well...we will call on you again when we have decided "

Gray bowed to them and walked out quietly. He paused outside the door and looked around. The twins were fine for now, he could worry about them later. First... Where was Pepper?

Lynna looked around in confusion. That was it? Really? She almost opened her mouth then caught herself and hurried out. Right. Best not let her tongue get the best of her this time.

Pepper wasn't waiting when they emerged. Whatever was happening had been deligated to lower ranking officers. Not seen as pressing as this.

Justira touched Grays arm to get his attention "we can rest now?" She looked so entirely exhausted. Poor woman, hwr and her brother

Gray nodded. "Lynna? Will you please take them back?"

Lynna shrugged. "Sure, but what are you doing?"

"I am waiting."

"Ooookay." She glanced at the twins. "Come on, after me."

Badru stood protectively at Misty's shoulder. It did not look like he'd transferred over to Mathias yet.

Justira signed "thank you" to gray before going to follow Lynna once more.

Misty sighed and looked up at Badru "go with Mathias. Will come tomorrow" she told him. And she would. First chance she got. She didn't want hin to feel like she was just shoving him off on someone else

Lynna led the way back to the shack. "I wonder if Gray will take you to live with him. You know, I've never been to his house? You'll have to tell me what it's like."

Badru studied her. Then he reached out and patted her shoulder. "Is not goodbye. I here when needed," he promised her.

"Somehow I don think he will. I mean if he were why he wait?" Faelar asked "anuway. Glad ya didn't get inta trouble cause of us. Woulda felt pretty bad"

Justira looked like she was sleep walking along side them.

--

Misty smiled and nodded "I know" she said then looked at Mathias giving him a nod.

"Come on Badru. Think you will like my place" he spoke in his language this time, nodding for him to follow? He did look over at Gray though "let me know what's going on with Pepper?" He would hang around but he felt like the council would jot like him lingering there with Badru

"Well, for starters, I don't think your sister could take one more step than she'd absolutely have to," Lynna said. She glanced back to see Jonah walking off on his own. Big help he'd been. He'd just stood there like a log. She forced her attention away. "Don't worry about me getting into trouble. I'm used to that."

~~

Gray inclined his head and moved to a shadowy corner to wait.

Badru followed Mathias and switched to his native tongue. "What is wrong with your sister? Or is she in trouble?" he asked.

Faelar chuckled softly and put an arm around his sister to keep her walking with them and not falling behind

"Even so..I'd still feel bad knowin it was my fault" he insisted

--

Mathias sighed "her old mate hurts her" he explained. No word for ex-husband "I thought he had stopped. She doesn't tell me anything anymore" he frowned, not sure why their relationship had fallen so much.

-

Misty stepped out next and glanced around. Alone. Again. Always alone. She had noticed Jonah too. Seemed her efforts to make friends with him had failed. He hadn't even looked at her. She sighed and headed back to her empty home. She wished they still had dogs. A dog would stick around. They always did in the stories anyway

Lynna shrugged. "Thanks. I think. Anyway, good job! Looks like you have a place to stay until we can figure out how to get you back with your people."

~~

"In my culture, those who beat their mates are put in stocks and given lashes with a tailed whip," Badru said calmly. "One lash for each time they are known to have struck them. Men and women. If they will not stop, they are cast out."

~~

Gray still waited, though he watched Misty and Jonah. Jonah just looked tired, as if dealing with people had exhausted his energy, and Misty looked so lonely and sad he almost went to her. Almost. He was still waiting.

Faelar frowned and paused "ya mea. We still have ta go?" He asked. He he misunderstood? "Our people are gone. No place fer us ta go back to now"

--

Mathias sighed "a better justice system then what we have here" he said "kill him myself if I could get away with it" he frowned deeper

Lynna glanced at him, equally confused. "But don't you think anyone else survived? Don't you want to try to find them?"

~~

"Then you would be another evil man," Badru said simply. "Pepper deserves better." He fell silent, looking up into the darkness. What lay out there beyond the lights of the city?

Faelars shoulders fell a little "can I tell ha somethin...and you won't tell anybody?" He asked

--

"Maybe...but then she would be safe" Mathias sighed. And followed his eyes upwards "you miss your people?" He guessed

Lynna paused and looked at him curiously. "Sure," she agreed. "I'm not in the habit of divulging secrets."

~~

Badru dropped his eyes back to where they were going. "Missing the dead is a waste of energy. Remember them and live for them." His eyes were stony as he spoke. The past was a foreign country to him.

"When the cannibals came....my people used my sister as distraction...I went after her an...my people went the other way...they might a made it but they don want us" he told her truthfully

---

Mathias nodded a little in understanding. He paused then to pull down the ladder stairs up into his home "right this way" he said before heading up

"Wow. Winning group. Sounds like you lot really are a lot better than Badru's type," Lynna said sarcastically. Then she winced and bit her lip. "Sorry. That was mean."

~~

Badru studied the ladder for a bit before cautiously following Mathias up the ladder. He wasn't sure if this thing would hold him or if he really wanted to climb up into a dark hole, but he supposed he trusted Mathias to know he'd fit.

Back