Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Faelar smiled faintly "nah is ok...I deserved that" he said, glancing at his sister, she hadn't been paying attention. Good.

"I don't know if Justira realizes what happened though..."

-
Mathias climbed out into his home, still a bit if light outside spilling into the room and the air was so much fresher in here too

"Better if she didn't, but she's pretty sharp," Lynna said.
They finally reached the shack, and Lynna opened the door for him. "Here. I should probably hang around until Gray gets back, just in case any of the council want to fuss about you not being under survalaince or whatever, but I'll be quiet so you can sleep."

~~

Badru stood and slowly straightened. His spine ached after bending so much indoors, but now he could finally be straight! He stretched mightily then looked around, trying to figure out where they were. Not on the surface, but close. Interesting.

"Thank ya Lynna.." he offered a smile "good night to ya too" he said before leading his sister in so they could settle down foe the night. Finally.

--

Mathias watched him stretch. Had to feel amazing for certain "here" he nodded for Badru to follow and went to the hatch leading outside and climbed outside. He was sure Badru would appreciate the fresh air and feel of the wind on his face

Lynna sighed and found a rock to sit on outside. Gray had better get back before her butt went numb.

~~

Badru closed his eyes, feeling the wind caress his face. Wind. It had only been a few days, but already he had almost forgotten what it felt like. After a few minutes, he walked out further and looked around. He turned, surveying the bunker-type house then continued to turn as he looked over the landscape.

the bunker was situated in a field, the woods a little ways off and a lake off the other way, over all a lovely area but exposed to every sort of weather, not idea for a surface settlement really but fine for a bunker

__

Finally Pepper and Peter stepped back out into the waiting room a grim look on her face and even Peter looked worried but was keeping quiet until he saw gray. He broke away from Pepper and ran to him, hugging him

Badru finally turned to Mathias and folded his arms, scowling down at him. "Where is it?" he demanded.

~~

Gray knelt and hugged Peter tightly. He looked up at Pepper, his arms around the boy, his eyes asking for an explanation. What was going on? What had happened.

Mathias raised his brows "where is what?" He asked. Not sure what he meant by that.

--

Pepper walked over "Allen is getting custody of Peter.... I denied his visiting rights and he is using that against me" she explained. Allen had too many friends in high places. It felt impossible to fight it

"Where is your feild??" Badru asked.

~~

Gray's face darkened. He stood, letting Peter stay close, but his hands flickered. "You did not tell them how he beats? You did not report that?"

"Field?" He asked shaking his head "no Badru. We don't have crops. We should bit we don't"

--

"I did Gray...Look at me. The evidence is all here but they don't listen ...I...I don't know what else to do Gray....he has too many friends I can't....I..." she sank into a chair, looking defeated

Badru shook his head and walked out into the feild. He just walked, pacing up and down. Now and then, he stooped to feel the dirt or check a plant. Then he'd straighten and walk more.

~~

Gray reached out and took her arm, guiding her up to her feet once more, squaring her shoulders. He signed her name over and over until she was looking at him. "Don't you dare give up! Don't you dare. Take Peter and go to my home. Make certain no one sees you. Allen may get your boy for a while, but not today. Not before I have my say."

Mathias was not sure what he was getting at so he simply curiously followed. Badru would explain he was sure

--

Gray I..I don't want you to get into trouble because of me..." she appreciated what he was trying to do but she was worried something bad would happen to him if he kept sticking his neck out like this

Badru finally stopped, crossed his arms again, and gave a sharp nod. "Good. Not best, but it is good ground. It will grow what you need. It is already growing. I need a basket."

~~

Gray held up a hand to stop her. This is not just you. This is Peter. This is justice. This is truth. And you should go talk to your brother."

Mathias raised a brow but nodded "sure ok..." he said in english though, not really sure what he was planning to collect but he went back down the hatch and grabbed the one he used sometimes and brought it up, pausing before he got to Badru, holding a hand to his ribs and huffing. Pushing it again

-

"Mathias..he'll....he'd kill Allen for this...I can't tell him" she said in a more hushed tone. She knew her brother and knew how much he cared. He'd risk getting caught and tried for murder if that's what it took

"You, sit and rest." Badru pinted to a spot for him to sit down and walked away. The basket looked tiny in his hand, but he held it securely and wove his way through the scrubby grasses and bushes.

~~

"You should have told him the first time Allen came near you. You are now dealing with the consequences of trying to pretend it was not happening," Gray signed firmly. "You can tell him whatever you want, but you have to go. Take Peter before Allen does. I have work to do."

Mathias nodded and took a seat, didn't need to be told twice. God damn lungs just needed to hurry up and heal

--

Pepper sighed. He was right and she knew arguing would do no good so she nodded "I'll go to my brothers" she said before holding a hand out to Peter "come on sweetie. Going to see uncle Mathias alright?"

The boy didn't question, taking his mothers hand

Badru wandered around again, but this time he moved with a much greater purpose. Finally, he returned to Mathias and handed him the basket. It was filled with berries, roots, and a few other odd plant things. "Food," he said simply. "Morals, currents, rose hips, chickweed, dandilion, salsify, budock, wood lily, and yucca."

~~

Gray waited until Pepper and Peter were out of sight before walking into the courtroom. He walked right past Allen without looking at him and straight to a table with a pen and some pieces of paper. He picked one up and began writing, ignoring everything around him until he had finished. Then he turned and looked for who looked to be the most in charge and gave him the note. He considered sticking around to see what happened, but he might be detained, and that would be no fun at all, so he headed for the door again.

Dear sir,
I know this man is your friend, and I respect your friendship, but you must know that allowing this man to take a child is a bad idea. He beats his wife terribly, which is well known. What is less well known is that he is insane. I know for a fact that he hears voices telling him to do terrible things. Please reconsider your decision before it is too late. He does well to hide it, but he is a danger to scociety. Protect the children.

Mathias blinked in surprise but he grinned. This was great! He knew a few of them but not all. "Can you teach me how to use them?" He asked

--

The man picked up the paper and read it over. Allen was quick to walk over and snatch it and read it over. He laughed "grasping at straws for a defence" he scoffed "just a dumb nobody. Doesn't know a thing about me"

Badru inclined his head. "I am a passable cook. It will keep you alive." He didn't say it, but he thought even his worst cooking was better than the stuff he'd been fed down here.

~~

Gray smirked. The idea had been planted. That was all that was needed right now. He found Allen's coat and carefully moved it to the other side of the room as well as a few other things in the room, working fast and getting out before anyone saw. Then he was gone.

He smiled "can't be worse than the garbage I'm sure you've been fed" he chuckled and got to his feet again "we should head inside before it gets too dark"

Badru grunted but followed Mathias. He glanced back once more. For a weaker people like Mathias' clan, having a house in a burrow would be the best course, but they would have to come to grips with the outside world. Perhaps he could teach them how to forage for the rest of the year and prepare the ground for a field next year. It was too late in the year to hope for much of a harvest starting from scratch as they were.

Back